collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Happy July 4th Y'all  (Read 17552 times)

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Happy July 4th Y'all
« Reply #150 on: July 05, 2022, 02:16:41 PM »
The big question is who and how to make a determination of a mentally or emotionally unstable person.

The only way this is the "big question" is if we are the only country that has a problem with mentally or emotionally unstable people. As we are decidedly not the only country, the big question is the actual problem, not the problem politicians of a certain shade like to deflect to.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #151 on: July 05, 2022, 02:19:18 PM »
I am. That is what I meant when I wrote my initial comment. You claim no new regulation can be enacted. So the laws we have now are it?  Congress is on the way to try to get some regulation passed.

I feel you're being disingenuous at this point. Too bad.
The ruling is there for you to read. I know you'd rather focus in the concurrence, but Thomas wrote what he wrote.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #152 on: July 05, 2022, 02:21:54 PM »
Back to the serious discourse.

My general view is the shooter in HP was suffering some type of mental illness. Nobody does a shoot-em-up like that with a normal, healthy outlook toward themselves and society. Whether he fits the legal definition of mentally ill is another story. Already, our governor (who has no authority over prosecutions in Illinois) has pledged full retribution, which rather outlines the mindset of the state.

The big question is who and how to make a determination of a mentally or emotionally unstable person. Using internet posts and chat rooms leaves the owner of the chatroom open to liability if they tag a person as emotionally unstable. God forbid that the schools -- with the political pressure they face -- do it. The legal ramifications of getting it "wrong" are huge because emotionally unstable affects a persons in ways far broader than gun ownership.

If we used chatrooms and internet postings, half the people on Scoop would be considered emotionally unstable. Real Chili messes with your mind.

Look, for many of us, yesterday hit home harder than usual. Many of us have ties to the North Shore and felt differently. What I'd hope we do is think about getting high-powered assault rifles, such as AR-15s, out of civilian hands and ban manufacture of fragmentation bullets for all but military use.

The guns have won.  It’s over.  It was over after Sandy Hook.  Nothing is changing.  Mental illness won’t be addressed, limiting types of weapons won’t ever stand a chance of passing. 

My suggestion is too arm yourself as much as you can and pray you don’t get shot in a mass shooting.  We’re not a serious nation, so expecting this to be addressed is silly. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #153 on: July 05, 2022, 02:22:51 PM »
I feel you're being disingenuous at this point. Too bad.
The ruling is there for you to read. I know you'd rather focus in the concurrence, but Thomas wrote what he wrote.
What are you talking about. You stated no new regulations on guns. That is absurdly false.

Here's New York's response:
https://www.nysenate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/senate-acts-scotus-ruling-invalidating-new-yorks-concealed-carry-law

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #154 on: July 05, 2022, 02:27:21 PM »
What are you talking about. You stated no new regulations on guns. That is absurdly false.

Here's New York's response:
https://www.nysenate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/senate-acts-scotus-ruling-invalidating-new-yorks-concealed-carry-law

This doesn't contradict anything I wrote. Licensing requirements for concealed carry are not new. Safe storage laws are not new. Laws allowing some places to bar concealed carry are not new.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #155 on: July 05, 2022, 02:29:06 PM »
We need to accept these unfortunate incidents as the price we pay to live in a society that so exalts guns.   

No other country worships guns like we do.

No other country has nearly the same number of mass murders as we do.

I don't see a causality.   Just bad luck.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #156 on: July 05, 2022, 02:33:57 PM »
This doesn't contradict anything I wrote. Licensing requirements for concealed carry are not new. Safe storage laws are not new. Laws allowing some places to bar concealed carry are not new.
You specifically stated no new regulations, so to me that means no additional regulations than what we already have.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #157 on: July 05, 2022, 02:39:23 PM »
Is it just a coincidence that the pro-lifers and the pro 'everyone gets guns' crowd are one and the same?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #158 on: July 05, 2022, 02:39:48 PM »
You specifically stated no new regulations, so to me that means no additional regulations than what we already have.

new
/n(y)o͞o/
adjective
adjective: new; comparative adjective: newer; superlative adjective: newest
    1. not existing before; made, introduced, or discovered recently or now for the first time.
    "new crop varieties"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #159 on: July 05, 2022, 02:41:23 PM »
Is it just a coincidence that the pro-lifers and the pro 'everyone gets guns' crowd are one and the same?

I don't think that's true.

https://twitter.com/CardinalBCupich/status/1529270441080152066

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #160 on: July 05, 2022, 02:45:27 PM »
Lenny, were you always so staunchly pro-life that you would characterize it that way, or is this radicalization in real time?

Burrow, this was intentional hyperbole in response to to what I hope was intentional hyperbole on Wade’s part.

I am pro life, but support exceptions for rape, incest, health of the mother. I’m against exceptions like “it’s not convenient”, “it’s a girl”, etc.

That said, I would support a federal law allowing unfettered access in the first 15 weeks with exceptions thereafter. Codifying a compromise that neither side is wild about seems to me to be the best (only?) solution.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #161 on: July 05, 2022, 02:47:22 PM »
Burrow, this was intentional hyperbole in response to to what I hope was intentional hyperbole on Wade’s part.

I am pro life, but support exceptions for rape, incest, health of the mother. I’m against exceptions like “it’s not convenient”, “it’s a girl”, etc.

That said, I would support a federal law allowing unfettered access in the first 15 weeks with exceptions thereafter. Codifying a compromise that neither side is wild about seems to me to be the best (only?) solution.

Thanks for the follow up, Lenny, and sorry if I was being obtuse. 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #162 on: July 05, 2022, 02:48:18 PM »
new
/n(y)o͞o/
adjective
adjective: new; comparative adjective: newer; superlative adjective: newest
    1. not existing before; made, introduced, or discovered recently or now for the first time.
    "new crop varieties"
Correct douchebag. So if Congress, or a state, passes a law not previously enacted, it would be a NEW law.
For example, Indiana legislators passed more than 170 new laws this year and the vast majority take effect July 1. Here are some of the laws we followed during the legislative session taking effect.

HEA 1002: $1 billion tax cut

One of the year’s highest-profile measures was a $1 billion tax cut package. The bulk of those cuts take effect in future years. But lawmakers eliminated two utility taxes that will save the average Hoosiers a couple dollars a month, after July 1.

HEA 1296: Permitless handgun carry

Previously, if you wanted to carry a handgun in public in Indiana, you needed to get a permit from the state to do so. That involved submitting to a background check by the Indiana State Police and fingerprinting. But HEA 1296 eliminates that permit.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #163 on: July 05, 2022, 02:55:04 PM »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #164 on: July 05, 2022, 03:04:05 PM »
Spicy.
Well, if the bag fits. But seriously, you wanted to draw it to its "logical conclusion" of no new regulations, you are wrong. New York is attempting to enact new regulation.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #165 on: July 05, 2022, 03:07:26 PM »
Well, if the bag fits. But seriously, you wanted to draw it to its "logical conclusion" of no new regulations, you are wrong. New York is attempting to enact new regulation.

If you say so.
Nowhere else do safe storage laws and conceal-carry licenses exist. Totally new!

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #166 on: July 05, 2022, 03:10:51 PM »
If you say so.
Nowhere else do safe storage laws and conceal-carry licenses exist. Totally new!
It will be a new regulation if passed. New bill number and everything! Not sure what type of "new" regulation you are  thinking won't have a chance because it is new. A regulation against light sabers, laser beams?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #167 on: July 05, 2022, 03:18:14 PM »
My suggestion is too arm yourself as much as you can and pray you don’t get shot in a mass shooting.  We’re not a serious nation, so expecting this to be addressed is silly.

Arm myself as much as I can? How would that have helped yesterday in Highland Park. The shooter was partially concealed on a second floor roof. Assuming I had a concealed carry permit in Illinois and moved to fire back, what would I have fired at?

Second, do you have a handgun that's effective at that range? Too much of an effort with a rifle.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #168 on: July 05, 2022, 03:20:56 PM »
It will be a new regulation if passed. New bill number and everything! Not sure what type of "new" regulation you are  thinking won't have a chance because it is new. A regulation against light sabers, laser beams?

I'm agreeing with you. Safe storage laws don't exist. Any such law would be new.
Licenses for conceal carry? New.
Restrictions on where you can conceal carry? New!
But what about all the places these regulations exist and have for many years, you ask? Not true. lawdog says so.
This has become such a stupid argument because you're literally denying reality. Bizarre.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #169 on: July 05, 2022, 03:26:56 PM »
I'm agreeing with you. Safe storage laws don't exist. Any such law would be new.
Licenses for conceal carry? New.
Restrictions on where you can conceal carry? New!
But what about all the places these regulations exist and have for many years, you ask? Not true. lawdog says so.
This has become such a stupid argument because you're literally denying reality. Bizarre.
Something seems to be getting lost in translation. Here's what I see:
You state that no new regulation can be passed because of this ruling.
I call b.s. because there will be new laws passed (Congress and New York for example)
If you think the Supreme Court won't allow new laws concerning background checks, red flags, you are crazy.

Licenses for conceal carry and where you can conceal carry are not new, under your definition. Heck, this New York law they overturned was how old?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #170 on: July 05, 2022, 03:31:42 PM »

I think most reasonable people could agree on this or something very similar. The fact is, this is already what was occurring in practice. Per CDC data, only 4.3% of abortions occur after 15 weeks:

The problem of course is that neither the religious fanatics on the Supreme Court nor those controlling Republican legislatures are capable of being reasonable.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #171 on: July 05, 2022, 03:46:59 PM »
I don't think that's true.

https://twitter.com/CardinalBCupich/status/1529270441080152066

I understand a religious leader saying that.

But those who vote pro-forced birth (most of the right) are also voting for unfettered access to guns. That is the choice they have made regardless of what they say to pollsters.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #172 on: July 05, 2022, 03:49:51 PM »
Crimo drove close to Madison between the time of the shooting and getting caught. Lot of questions I’d have as to why/why did he turn back/where was he ultimately trying to go?

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #173 on: July 05, 2022, 03:51:16 PM »
Talk about cold, cold hearted:

In a Facebook live stream at 11.45 a.m., less than two hours after the Highland Partk incident, Illinois State Senator (and Gov. candidate Darren Bailey was seen with a group of people in Skokie village. During the stream, he said that Skokie's 4th of July parade was canceled because of the shooting, which has left six dead and dozen injured.

"Friends, let's pray for the law enforcement and even the organizers of this parade," Bailey was heard saying. "The shooter is still at large. So let's pray for justice to prevail, and then let's move on and let's celebrate the independence of this nation."

This trump endorsed guy couldn't even be bothered with the 'thoughts and prayers' scam.

Forget & party down!!!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #174 on: July 05, 2022, 03:58:42 PM »
Crimo drove close to Madison between the time of the shooting and getting caught. Lot of questions I’d have as to why/why did he turn back/where was he ultimately trying to go?

He drove to Madison, left his cell phone up there, and then drove back. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow