[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022-23 NBA Thread  (Read 143848 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: 2022-23 NBA Thread
« Reply #100 on: July 06, 2022, 10:00:21 AM »
I think they had to sign Lavine.  There's no guarantee they can get a big-time free agent.  As far as tearing it down I think we need to see this team for a prolonged stretch with Lonzo Ball.  The Bulls are super high on Patrick Williams.  If he's a potential all-star they have a pretty formidable rotation.   To your point though you have to wonder if Lavine and DeRozan are good enough to get this team to a ECF let alone a title?  If they're not who could they realistically go after?

Not only that, but they made a pretty big leap to a six seed last year after being outside the playoffs for years. They had to invest in Levine after brining in DeRozan last year. Plus as you said, a healthy Ball, and a solid back up PG in Dragic, and I can see them surprising some people.

A lot of people said the Celtics should have torn it down after the last couple of seasons, but their core grew together and made the Finals. I doubt the Bulls will do that, but that path is much more clear than tearing it down now.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2022, 05:35:48 PM »
Ive watched a decent bit of NBA Summer League.  Everyone's favorite overrated Pirate, Myles Powell, is playing for the Sixers team.  Why hasn't he gotten as much run as, say, Markus?  Why hasn't he stuck at all?  Why has he only averaged a point on miserable sub 30%/20% shooting splits?  Cause he's the same chucker bum he was towards the end of his Seton Hall career, but against better talent.  The number of terrible shots Ive seen him take in like 5 min of gametime Ive actually watched is hilarious.

My favorite was a stepback 3...that he stepped half a foot over the sideline as he got it off.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2022, 07:06:29 PM »
Ive watched a decent bit of NBA Summer League.  Everyone's favorite overrated Pirate, Myles Powell, is playing for the Sixers team.  Why hasn't he gotten as much run as, say, Markus?  Why hasn't he stuck at all?  Why has he only averaged a point on miserable sub 30%/20% shooting splits?  Cause he's the same chucker bum he was towards the end of his Seton Hall career, but against better talent.  The number of terrible shots Ive seen him take in like 5 min of gametime Ive actually watched is hilarious.

My favorite was a stepback 3...that he stepped half a foot over the sideline as he got it off.

LOL.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2022, 08:36:22 PM »
It's SL but Banchero and Smith are on at the top of the hour.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2022, 09:38:54 PM »
Can anyone explain to me why the Nets would even remotely consider trading Kyrie and Curry for Westbrook, like a lot of the rumor mill is pushing. Makes absolutely no sense to trade Kyrie for Westbrook, makes even less sense to throw in another quality player like Curry.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2022, 09:46:32 PM »
Can anyone explain to me why the Nets would even remotely consider trading Kyrie and Curry for Westbrook, like a lot of the rumor mill is pushing. Makes absolutely no sense to trade Kyrie for Westbrook, makes even less sense to throw in another quality player like Curry.

if that's the proposed trade it doesn't make any sense at all and is more about simply getting rid of Kyrie and receiving something in return.  My guess is the Nets aren't getting a ton of phone calls about Kyrie. 

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2022, 09:50:12 PM »
Westbrook’s expiring contract is valuable. Beyond that, no idea.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2022, 09:52:23 PM »

I don't think Westbrook is capable of changing his game but your point is well taken.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2022, 09:54:06 PM »

That might be part of it, I really don't understand why an expiring $47.1M contract that puts you in the luxury tax has any value.

I will readily admit I do not understand much of the NBA trade intricacies.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2022, 10:09:10 PM »
How heavy can Holmgren get?  I may be wrong about the guy.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2022, 08:05:07 AM »
My way too early prediction: Jaden Ivey will be Rookie of the Year, by a landslide.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #111 on: July 09, 2022, 08:12:18 PM »
My way too early prediction: Jaden Ivey will be Rookie of the Year, by a landslide.

Not a bad call.  The Wizards may be concerned about their lottery pick?  Or is the box score wrong?  :)

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #112 on: July 09, 2022, 08:48:52 PM »

Would not surprise me at all.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #113 on: July 10, 2022, 10:52:53 AM »
Because it's the Lakers and their fans. If you listen to Laker fans, Kyrie, Giannis, Steph Curry and 4 other All-Stars are headed to LA. Just like the Cowboy predictions to win the Super Bowl the last 25 years.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #114 on: July 10, 2022, 12:15:32 PM »

I don't agree. I think one of the top 3 picks will win - probably Holmgren if he stays healthy.

Ivey won't get all those easy drives to the hoop against real NBA defenses.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #115 on: July 10, 2022, 04:38:46 PM »
JlLew is on ESPN2 right now.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #116 on: July 10, 2022, 07:23:02 PM »
I don't agree. I think one of the top 3 picks will win - probably Holmgren if he stays healthy.

Ivey won't get all those easy drives to the hoop against real NBA defenses.

I would actually say Banchero.  I think his ceiling may be the lowest of the top 3, but he's easily the most NBA ready right now.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #117 on: July 10, 2022, 07:40:40 PM »
I would actually say Banchero.  I think his ceiling may be the lowest of the top 3, but he's easily the most NBA ready right now.

He is.

But, I just think that Holmgren is a unicorn. A step up to the NBA might cause some problems, but he is still my pick with Banchero 2nd.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #118 on: July 10, 2022, 07:41:26 PM »

put me down for this...he and ja are 2 i would love to have on my team
don't...don't don't don't don't

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #119 on: July 10, 2022, 07:48:06 PM »
My take is Banchero is the favorite.  I also think Benedict Mathurin is a bit under the radar.  I have little confidence Johnny Davis will be in the running for ROY.   :)

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #120 on: July 10, 2022, 07:50:42 PM »
I'm sure I don't have to remind anyone that in SL none of these guys are playing against a lot of rotational NBA players.  That said I've liked what I have seen from the the top 6 draft picks. 

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #121 on: July 11, 2022, 10:24:44 AM »

Not only that, but they made a pretty big leap to a six seed last year after being outside the playoffs for years. They had to invest in Levine after brining in DeRozan last year. Plus as you said, a healthy Ball, and a solid back up PG in Dragic, and I can see them surprising some people.

A lot of people said the Celtics should have torn it down after the last couple of seasons, but their core grew together and made the Finals. I doubt the Bulls will do that, but that path is much more clear than tearing it down now.
I follow the logic. But what is the ceiling for the Bulls in the next 2-3 years? Maybe 50 wins and maybe 2nd round of the playoffs. No top line FA is going to join this group and the window is very narrow with DaRozan and Lavine. If they were interested in winning at the highest level (which I doubt since they make a ton of money) the plans should be tear down, draft choices, rebuild.

Ball could be a game changer but he's as reliable as Ralph Sampson. Not his fault but he has and established history of injuries and he's only getting older.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #122 on: July 11, 2022, 10:48:45 AM »
I follow the logic. But what is the ceiling for the Bulls in the next 2-3 years? Maybe 50 wins and maybe 2nd round of the playoffs. No top line FA is going to join this group and the window is very narrow with DaRozan and Lavine. If they were interested in winning at the highest level (which I doubt since they make a ton of money) the plans should be tear down, draft choices, rebuild.

Ball could be a game changer but he's as reliable as Ralph Sampson. Not his fault but he has and established history of injuries and he's only getting older.

You are probably right on their ceiling but who knows? Building a NBA team is hard. In the last 20 seasons, only a third of the league has won a championship! If you continuously pull the plug on rebuilds before you let them play out, you aren't going anywhere.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #123 on: July 11, 2022, 11:03:09 AM »

You are probably right on their ceiling but who knows? Building a NBA team is hard. In the last 20 seasons, only a third of the league has won a championship! If you continuously pull the plug on rebuilds before you let them play out, you aren't going anywhere.

Yeah, plus Chicago will always be attractive to marquee free agents.  This isn't Milwaukee or Oklahoma City that need to cycle through tearing it down then drafting the highest upside players available in hopes of hitting the jackpot and bringing in a star.  If Chicago keeps good complementary pieces around on palatable contracts, they will always be in the running as stars become FAs or demand trades.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #124 on: July 11, 2022, 11:15:22 AM »

Yes but how has the plug in good players and adding decent FAs for Chicago and New York in the past 25 years? I'd say if you go with that plan, "you aren't going anywhere". If DeRozan and Lavine were 25, I'd say stay the course, but this seems to be a certain plan of early playoff exits and draft picks between 18 to 23. We've seen Utah run that plan for the past 5 years. Not pretty.

Oh well, the Bulls will make bank and in the end, that is the real goal.