[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 02:30:34 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 02:24:16 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Where Are We?  (Read 16070 times)

GoldenEagles03

• All American
Re: Where Are We?
« Reply #100 on: May 18, 2023, 11:46:16 AM »
Back to my original question.  Where are we as far as auxiliary options?  It appears OMax will probably not return.  Who's out there?

Arthur Kaluma and Grant Nelson would be ideal fits.

However, as many have pointed out, it is unlikely they look to add anyone that will have an impact that we all hope. Joplin, Gold, Amadou are next up.
VIOLENCE!

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #101 on: May 18, 2023, 12:12:57 PM »
Arthur Kaluma and Grant Nelson would be ideal fits.

However, as many have pointed out, it is unlikely they look to add anyone that will have an impact that we all hope. Joplin, Gold, Amadou are next up.

I mean.... if we're doing "ideal fits" its after Omax...
1. Julian Phillips
Gap
2. Olivier Nkamhoua
Gap
3. And then the weird group of guys like Grant Nelson, Kaluma, Aziz Bandaogo,  David Jones if he could get a waiver.

But honestly Joplin is fine over most of the group... so just look for a 10-20 mpg forward.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #102 on: May 18, 2023, 12:39:24 PM »
Jones could be interesting if he's okay being a lower usage guy.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #103 on: May 18, 2023, 01:38:05 PM »
Jones could be interesting if he's okay being a lower usage guy.
Yea… but he’s gonna slip between the cracks and be a steal for someone because he kinda can’t shoot. And likely can’t get a waiver at his third BE school. But we’ll see.

His defense was probably underrated. Everywhere. Grabbed many boards with Soriano hoarding the glass (sometimes to his teams detriment).

His offense would be fine with us. Even if he never cracked 32% from three, he could have like a 110 o Rtg with less usage.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #104 on: May 18, 2023, 05:17:03 PM »
I mean.... if we're doing "ideal fits" its after Omax...
1. Julian Phillips
Gap
2. Olivier Nkamhoua
Gap
3. And then the weird group of guys like Grant Nelson, Kaluma, Aziz Bandaogo,  David Jones if he could get a waiver.

But honestly Joplin is fine over most of the group... so just look for a 10-20 mpg forward.

If Phillips comes back, he would be my top pick for sure. And agree on Nkamhoua. He's a good comparable fit in terms of much of what O-Max did. Those two seem like the best defensive options, though I suspect their defensive acumen may be boosted by Tennessee's overall team defensive success.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #105 on: May 18, 2023, 05:34:06 PM »
If Phillips comes back, he would be my top pick for sure. And agree on Nkamhoua. He's a good comparable fit in terms of much of what O-Max did. Those two seem like the best defensive options, though I suspect their defensive acumen may be boosted by Tennessee's overall team defensive success.

Ty Brew.  Priorities 1,2, and 3 is to find a player who can defensively guard multiple positions AND in a perfect world CLEAN THE GLASS/help Oso.  I understand this isn't easy but I'm sure Shaka was prepared for this situation.  We can replace O-Max's scoring but it's on the defensive end where we need all hands on deck and must relentlessly pursue formidable options. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #106 on: May 18, 2023, 05:36:16 PM »
How ready is Amadou?  Can the kid be an immediate impact guy?  I'd like to see him click up to the 215 lbs range minimum. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #107 on: May 18, 2023, 05:55:29 PM »
He is a freshman.   Anything MU gets from him next season is gravy
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #108 on: May 18, 2023, 06:12:27 PM »
It would be nice to get a big to play behind Oso so Gold can just play forward.  Amadeu will get more time then you think if they do not recruit another player.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #109 on: May 18, 2023, 06:20:37 PM »

Some Frosh need more time to develop than others.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #110 on: May 18, 2023, 06:26:58 PM »
It would be nice to get a big to play behind Oso so Gold can just play forward.  Amadeu will get more time then you think if they do not recruit another player.

Jop is a capable rebounder.  He's not an explosive athlete in the O-Max league but I do think he will find a way to be better on the defensive end while still draining buckets for us. 

MuMark

• All American

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #113 on: May 18, 2023, 06:51:55 PM »

oh most certainly. I don't expect either to come back, and if either of them did. I expect an Arizona to throw some decent money at either of them, especially if they arn't sold on Kaluma (rumor).

I just wanted to have those names their first for any "ideal fits", because you got to try to replace what you lost. As opposed to adding some offensive player who initiates plays.

Julian Phillips might actually be the best transfer of the offseason, the underlying defensive numbers are stupid.
His Adj. Team defensive rating when on the court was 71.7, by far the lowest in college basketball.

The next lowest in all of college basketball was Mawot Mag at Rutgers with 75.7 and the next Tennessee player was Aidoo at 78.

Meanwhile his offensive contributions were fine for that offense, while shooting HORRENDOUSLY. 23.9% from 3. 44.6% from the field. So why do you want him. Phillips draws fouls, more than Omax did. His FTR is 61.5. Plus Phillips is capable of shooing better than he did. Phillips shot 82.2% from the free throw line, the best indicator of shooting success.

Olivier Nkamhoua, is  just a solid player. And he is honestly just similar to Joplin with more defensive polish and more of a down low focus. He was one of their sources of their few offense. 

Of course its boosted by team success, but the types of players that don't have team success that MU can go after, are going to have to play in very different roles than they did last year.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #114 on: May 18, 2023, 06:52:07 PM »
Exactly……don’t expect an undersized freshman to have an impact. If he does….fantastic but cant count on that at all.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #115 on: May 18, 2023, 07:00:13 PM »
Equal to or less than Gold contributed last season.   I don't see how he contributes more.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #116 on: May 18, 2023, 07:10:50 PM »
https://twitter.com/bensteelemjs/status/1659339019015053313?s=61&t=oxKt9dJanWbf2R2I8WSzJw

Zach seemed like a solid locker-room leader whom his teammates liked. Glad he found a landing spot.

Now we can stop speculating about his return.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #117 on: May 18, 2023, 10:23:57 PM »
Equal to or less than Gold contributed last season.   I don't see how he contributes more.

Yep, muscoop - the land where no freshman can make meaningful contribution.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #118 on: May 19, 2023, 12:03:24 AM »
Zach, did not show much when he did play, locker room guy, great, player not really.  I only see 4 bigs on the team right now, a skinny freshman, a skinny Gold as well.  I can see 4 guards playing together, they will be able to score, see Ross and Lowery playing bigger then their size.  They were small last year and won 29, they might not win as much but it will be close. Do not see this group going much farther then last year, very surprised that Shaka is not getting at least one big to help.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #119 on: May 19, 2023, 05:36:54 AM »
Yep, muscoop - the land where no freshman can make meaningful contribution.
They can.   I just don't build my expectations around them doing so.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #120 on: May 19, 2023, 07:39:51 AM »
very surprised that Shaka is not getting at least one big to help.

The offseason is only a month and a half old.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #121 on: May 19, 2023, 08:42:23 AM »
Zach, did not show much when he did play, locker room guy, great, player not really.  I only see 4 bigs on the team right now, a skinny freshman, a skinny Gold as well.  I can see 4 guards playing together, they will be able to score, see Ross and Lowery playing bigger then their size.  They were small last year and won 29, they might not win as much but it will be close. Do not see this group going much farther then last year, very surprised that Shaka is not getting at least one big to help.
I do not think Shaka would of been interested in any transfer, who had more than one year left as he needs the scholarships for next year's recruiting class.
I also think Shaka likes how this team has bonded together. There is a risk to bringing in someone, who might upset the apple cart. Look at Kansas signing the Michigan transfer and subsequently having two young centers transfer out of the program. It certainly would not be worth bringing in a transfer, if the result was Joplin or Gold leaving. I hope they bring Wrightsel back..

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #122 on: May 19, 2023, 09:13:52 AM »
I do not think Shaka would of been interested in any transfer, who had more than one year left as he needs the scholarships for next year's recruiting class.
I also think Shaka likes how this team has bonded together. There is a risk to bringing in someone, who might upset the apple cart. Look at Kansas signing the Michigan transfer and subsequently having two young centers transfer out of the program. It certainly would not be worth bringing in a transfer, if the result was Joplin or Gold leaving. I hope they bring Wrightsel back..

I c wat u did w wrightsel

But… Jop & Gold.. if they left bc a new guy got brought in this summer, they wouldn’t be eligible to play this coming year at another school
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #123 on: May 19, 2023, 09:43:28 AM »

If Kansas wins the national championship, I don't think anybody is going to be hurting over the two recruits that left the program because they brought in better talent.  They'll point to their national championship and get better recruits in next year's class anyway.

If we're content having fun regular seasons but being unable to break through in March we can just give freshman scholarships and just guarantee them they'll get to play once player X graduates or leaves for the pros.  If we want to be serious contenders we'll give freshman scholarships and guarantee them they'll get the chance to compete for playing time.  If they don't like their lack of minutes, they can find them on worse teams.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Goose

• All American
« Reply #124 on: May 19, 2023, 10:14:35 AM »
bilsu

I think Shaka will improve the team with a transfer and confident it will be a guy to fit the culture. Two things I am confident that Shaka can do, judge talent and judge culture guys. I think it would be crazy to leave a roster spot on open, especially if they are close to being a very, very good team. That's my opinion and I could be wrong, but feel confident there will be an addition.

feedback