[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Where Are We?  (Read 16073 times)

Viper

• All American
Re: Where Are We?
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2022, 01:55:16 PM »
Like Goose and some others, I'm an optimist about our future, including next season.

Having said that, I'm a little surprised Shaka hasn't added a big-impact transfer for the upcoming season, especially given Lewis' situation. But there are still a few good ones available, and Justin hasn't officially left yet, so maybe Shaka still has some tricks up his sleeve.
with Lewis taking his lethargic, low energy game to the GLeague, MU will dance to round 2 next March.
Yeah!
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2022, 02:45:22 PM »
Not sure why you guys are arguing.
We'll know how good next year's team will be just as soon as KenPom tells us.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2022, 02:46:38 PM »
I am extremely optimistic about the upcoming season and beyond. Not having a traditional transfer out this season says a lot about Shaka and the program he is building. I fully expected that we would lose a guy or two, simply because that is the nature of college basketball today, and keeping the core is victory in itself.

As for Omax, I have been high on him since the first time I saw him play and got higher on him every step of last season. He is high motor guy, an athlete and has some real basketball skills. There were several times he took a defensive rebound and went coast to coast and he looked like an NBA guy already. I am going to enjoy him this season because I think it will be his last one at MU.

Lastly, as I stated in another thread, I have complete confidence that Shaka can flat out recruit and knows what he is doing. He did not bring in one player last year that made me wonder if he knew what he is doing. I have expectations for the new guys, but am counting a big uptick in performance with the returning guys. Will say it again, OMax is going to have a major breakout season and looking forward to watching him play.
I am also happy that we did not have transfers out. However, it is a two edge sword. How do you being in players when you do not have scholarships available?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 22, 2022, 02:53:28 PM »
Where are we?
Where, where, where, where?
Where are we?
(I really wanna know!)
Come on tell me where are we? (Where are we? Where, where, where, where?)
Oh, where the f^ck are we? (Where are we? Where, where, where, where?)

From the famed band, The Where.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 22, 2022, 02:59:35 PM »
Downtown Milwaukee.

I believe in season to season development.  I believe there is enough returning talent to be better next year than last.

I believe the keys to the season are going to be Osa, Keeyan, and OMP.   If they reach their potential AND rebound, this will be a fun team.

As always, anything from the freshmen will be gravy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 22, 2022, 03:19:53 PM »
I mean nearly every single Tom Crean and Buzz Williams teams were worse at defensive rebounding than last years team.

It's an issue offensively. Not defensively.

Not true Re: Buzz, and with Crean you need to understand the game has changed. MU’s def rebounding ranked #314 in the nation. Crean never was in the 300’s, and Buzz was only once (2011-12, #302) when we had no size (Otule played in only 8 games), but other than d-boards the defense was great.

In 2021-22, the avg def reb % was 71.9%. In Crean’s last season as well as Buzz’s first, it was only 65.5%

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Afroman

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 22, 2022, 05:52:55 PM »
Who knows what to expect at that point?
Ben Gold and Sean Jones could turn out to be superstars.
For me, the best part about college hoops is seeing players make a jump from the previous season or being surprised by players you didn't know much about.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 22, 2022, 06:59:17 PM »
Who knows what to expect at that point?
Ben Gold and Sean Jones could turn out to be superstars.
For me, the best part about college hoops is seeing players make a jump from the previous season or being surprised by players you didn't know much about.

Agree with this post.  For some reason I feel there are low expectations from Scoopers about Ben Gold, and perhaps thats a function of the past International traditionals lacking impact - Froling/Berkowitz. 

The staff seems really high on Gold and like his athleticism/skill set.  I think he'll be a pleasant surprise during his time at MU.  Sean Jones also seems to have a lot of potential as well. 

Lastly it will be fun to see the progress all of the returnees have made.  Personally, I was impressed we didn't have a transfer out.  Great to see that the players are buying what the staff is selling.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2022, 07:45:59 PM »
Not true Re: Buzz, and with Crean you need to understand the game has changed. MU’s def rebounding ranked #314 in the nation. Crean never was in the 300’s, and Buzz was only once (2011-12, #302) when we had no size (Otule played in only 8 games), but other than d-boards the defense was great.

In 2021-22, the avg def reb % was 71.9%. In Crean’s last season as well as Buzz’s first, it was only 65.5%

More often when i bring this up, its to articulate that it really isn't a priority. Shaka's defensive style post VCU has incorporated a lot of switching, forcing more difficult shots and giving up rebounding. A style continually being used in these NBA playoffs. I think its smart.

I don't know if it will necessarily improve/ nor will it ever become a priority that some fans want it to be. Shakas DRB% ranks at Texas were 154th, 330th, 239th, 199th,  261st, and 281st. It's over emphasized by people who solely associate the counting stat Marquette is bad at as the largest factor contributing to Marquettes loses.

I am significantly more worried with our inability to get to the line last year and get on the offensive boards. I think some of this will be helped by losing our two most frequent midrange shooters last year. Maybe Wrightsil at the 4 will be willing to take more risks than lewis did with slightly faster foot speed. Morsell and Kur's NET ratings/RAPMs were not significantly impactful. Omax and Oso were both considered 'better'. Oso had a 48.3 FTR in conference play. Omax's was okay at 26.9.
But Lewis is so good that it is likely me just using rose colored glasses.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2022, 08:38:34 PM »
Where are we?
Where are we?
(I really wanna know!)
Come on tell me where are we? (Where are we? Where, where, where, where?)
Oh, where the f^ck are we? (Where are we? Where, where, where, where?)

From the famed band, The Where.

Where are you going with this? 

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2022, 09:18:52 PM »

I think it’s (Kenpom rank + Value Add rank) / 2 and it’s locked in stone….

Not sure why you guys are arguing.
We'll know how good next year's team will be just as soon as KenPom tells us.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2022, 10:31:13 PM »
More often when i bring this up, its to articulate that it really isn't a priority.

Is this code for, “you’re correct, my statements were not facts”?

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 22, 2022, 10:58:54 PM »
Is this code for, “you’re correct, my statements were not facts”?

You got your panties in a bunch over me using % of rebounds taken down over the ranking of % of rebounds relative to other D1 teams in the middle of May. Find someone other than a Scoop poster to stroke your ego.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2022, 12:14:57 AM »
You got your panties in a bunch over me using % of rebounds taken down over the ranking of % of rebounds relative to other D1 teams in the middle of May. Find someone other than a Scoop poster to stroke your ego.

Is this code for, “I said non factual nonsense and got called out for it”?

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2022, 10:25:49 AM »
Add me to the group that thinks O-Max is going to break out.  I'm super bullish on his future.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2022, 12:45:02 PM »
Add me to the group that thinks O-Max is going to break out.  I'm super bullish on his future.

He needs to increase his production on the glass.  Maybe we can get 15 and 8?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2022, 01:06:24 PM »
I keep thinking Jamil Wilson skills and Juan Toscano Anderson motor.    15 is more likely than 8
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2022, 01:25:16 PM »
Add me to the group that thinks O-Max is going to break out.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2022, 03:05:10 PM »
^^^ sus

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2022, 03:54:48 PM »
43°02'14.6"N 87°55'55.8"W

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2022, 04:55:08 PM »
43°02'14.6"N 87°55'55.8"W

Haha...technically...We Are!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2022, 04:56:58 PM »
You are lost. He brought in 4 starters on an 8 seed. That's not even including the 1st Team All Big East player and 1st Team All Freshman player he retained.

Get outta here.

Yeah, I am lost in watching a program not win a tournament game since I was 22.  I turn 32 next month.  I've watched a lot of crapty basketball since I graduated from MU; sorry I had higher hopes on quick turn around with Shaka than you did.  The team sucked for most of the season outside of catching fire for a few weeks and then going back to sucking immediately thereafter, then limping into March and getting our doors blown off in the first round. 

Like I said....Shaka deserves plenty of rope and he'll get it.  I just don't think the team next season is going to be better than last year's team when you subtract its best player and replace him with a guy who wasn't even playing D1 last year.  Apologies that hurts your feelings.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2022, 05:29:06 PM »
Yeah, I am lost in watching a program not win a tournament game since I was 22.  I turn 32 next month. 

Poor baby…
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2022, 06:59:31 PM »
Yeah, I am lost in watching a program not win a tournament game since I was 22.  I turn 32 next month.  I've watched a lot of crapty basketball since I graduated from MU; sorry I had higher hopes on quick turn around with Shaka than you did.  The team sucked for most of the season outside of catching fire for a few weeks and then going back to sucking immediately thereafter, then limping into March and getting our doors blown off in the first round. 

Like I said....Shaka deserves plenty of rope and he'll get it.  I just don't think the team next season is going to be better than last year's team when you subtract its best player and replace him with a guy who wasn't even playing D1 last year.  Apologies that hurts your feelings.

H: SIUE: W
H: New Hampshire: W
H: Illinois: L
N:Ole Miss (Charleston): L
N:Charleston game 2: W (Elon)
N: Charleston game 3: W (Temple)
H: Northern Illinois: W
H: Jackson St: W
A: UW-Madison Extension: L
A: Kansas St: L
H: UCLA: L
—BE CONF GAMES—
A: Xavier: L
H: UConn: L
A: St John’s: L
H: Creighton: W
H: providence: W
A: Georgetown L
H: DePaul: W
H: Seton Hall: L
A: Nova L
H: Xavier L
A: Seton hall L
A: providence L
H: Nova: L
A: UConn: L
A: butler: L
H: Georgetown: W
A: Creighton: L
H: butler: W
A: DePaul: L
H: St. John’s: L

Total W-L: 6-5 non-conf;  5-15 Big East - OVERALL: 11-20 (tied 10th in Big East)

Biggest impact player: Justin Lewis Big East Honorable Mention.

You spent all last offseason whining about how bad this team was going to be and after wildly exceeding your expectations you're still whining. Yawn indeed.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #74 on: May 23, 2022, 07:11:55 PM »
You spent all last offseason whining about how bad this team was going to be and after wildly exceeding your expectations you're still whining. Yawn indeed.

Lol. That’s great.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback