[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Worst 10 fan bases  (Read 4716 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Worst 10 fan bases
« on: May 20, 2022, 07:44:00 AM »
https://sports.yahoo.com/10-worst-fan-bases-sports-110550741.html

get roasted Cardinals fans!

Oh, and Boston fans.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: Worst 10 fan bases
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2022, 07:56:38 AM »
Add Badger and Cub fans and this is a pretty solid list.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2022, 08:14:29 AM »
The article also points out that Packer fans are fan royalty
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 08:23:04 AM »

It was no coincidence that I posted this list.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 08:24:06 AM »

Packer fans are the NFL’s version of MLB Cardinals fans except fatter
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 08:31:05 AM »
Packer fans are the NFL’s version of MLB Cardinals fans except fatter

Missouri is a fatter state.

and for that matter, so is IL

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 08:32:01 AM »
Missouri is a fatter state.

and for that matter, so is IL

Feelings don’t care about your facts

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2022, 09:08:15 AM »
Cardinal fans are demanding fans. We live in the shadow of the small sloth bear up in Chicago. We see what happens when irrational support for a baseball team blossoms into a ridiculous love affair.

We expect our team to win. We love Ozzie, Lou, Ted, Curt, Whitey, Bob, Yadi, Enos, Adam, even Albert, and most of all, Stan! But we love them because they were not just great people, they won baseball games. Lots of them. For years, our team played in one of the seven great pre-cast concrete wonders of the world. When the winds came in from the northeast, so too did the aroma of the Illinois slaughter yards. It's 107 degrees in the shade in July with 97 percent humidity.

We've been called fair weather fans by Cub fans who endured 108 years of losing. That's not in our DNA. We would like to be World Champions every year but we know that's not likely. Instead, we want a team that is committed to winning and tries to be World Champions every year. In short, it's really tough to tank in St. Louis. We Cardinal fans won't tolerate it.

If this makes us obnoxious, so be it. As Coach McGuire once said -- "a team is a reflection of its coach. Mine are arrogant and obnoxious."

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2022, 09:10:15 AM »
Cardinal fans are demanding fans. We live in the shadow of the small sloth bear up in Chicago. We see what happens when irrational support for a baseball team blossoms into a ridiculous love affair.

We expect our team to win. We love Ozzie, Lou, Ted, Curt, Whitey, Bob, Yadi, Enos, Adam, even Albert, and most of all, Stan! But we love them because they were not just great people, they won baseball games. Lots of them. For years, our team played in one of the seven great pre-cast concrete wonders of the world. When the winds came in from the northeast, so too did the aroma of the Illinois slaughter yards. It's 107 degrees in the shade in July with 97 percent humidity.

We've been called fair weather fans by Cub fans who endured 108 years of losing. That's not in our DNA. We would like to be World Champions every year but we know that's not likely. Instead, we want a team that is committed to winning and tries to be World Champions every year. In short, it's really tough to tank in St. Louis. We Cardinal fans won't tolerate it.

If this makes us obnoxious, so be it. As Coach McGuire once said -- "a team is a reflection of its coach. Mine are arrogant and obnoxious."

I think you've more than proven the author's point.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2022, 09:16:03 AM »
I haven’t seen an article like this since, oh, all of a few weeks ago when the Bulls played the Bucks.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports-saturday/2022/4/23/23038093/bulls-bucks-nba-playoffs-first-round-2022

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2022, 09:24:24 AM »

No, brother dgies, people don't think Cardinal fans are obnoxious because you're so gosh darn committed to winning.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2022, 09:25:06 AM »
I haven’t seen an article like this since, oh, all of a few weeks ago when the Bulls played the Bucks.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports-saturday/2022/4/23/23038093/bulls-bucks-nba-playoffs-first-round-2022

I don't think you actually read the article here.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2022, 09:41:58 AM »

Imagine being a Bulls fan and making fun of the Deer District.  Has this guy spent any time around the United Center? 

Hearing Bulls fans talk about basketball is like listening to a Bears fan talk about the '85 Bears.  1998 was 24 years ago, no one cares anymore.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2022, 09:44:04 AM »

Every day I wake up and get on my knees to thank the Dear Lord Almighty that your beautiful children overcame their "Daddy Problem" and chose up wisely on their life partners.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2022, 09:54:48 AM »
I thought I remember an argument for them not being fair weather fans was the lack of attendance in down years. This was due to the product not being worthy of the great Cardinal fan base. Which seems to be the definition of fair weather fan. Which the Brewers and all teams have.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2022, 10:00:48 AM »

As a Yankee fan I can appreciate your point of view. Yankee fans are neither spoiled nor petulant. We just appreciate excellence. I just think everyone else is just envious. As a Marquette alum and fan I envy UCLA's 11 NCs. It is just a fact and my perspective from both sides of being a fan of my favorite teams.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2022, 10:06:06 AM »
Hearing Bulls fans talk about basketball is like listening to a Bears fan talk about the '85 Bears.  1998 was 24 years ago, no one cares anymore.

This explains why "The Last Dance" was such a flop. Between ESPN and Netflix, it had a mere 30 million views.
Nobody cares.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2022, 10:06:43 AM »
As a Yankee fan I can appreciate your point of view. Yankee fans are neither spoiled nor petulant. We just appreciate excellence. I just think everyone else is just envious. As a Marquette alum and fan I envy UCLA's 11 NCs. It is just a fact and my perspective from both sides of being a fan of my favorite teams.

It's not this.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2022, 10:08:39 AM »
This explains why "The Last Dance" was such a flop. Between ESPN and Netflix, it had a mere 30 million views.
Nobody cares.

Sports fans love nostalgia, however.  Prior to the arrival of the Dongslinger, Packers fans waxed poetic about the Lombardi years for decades.  We love nostalgia, especially when our recent teams haven’t been very good.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2022, 10:10:48 AM »
I don't think you actually read the article here.

I did. It’s the same concept. It’s very common.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2022, 10:11:50 AM »
Nobody cares.

It was a great story, but it happened more than two decades ago.  I know Bears fans love to live in the past, but I guess Bulls fans do as well.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2022, 10:11:52 AM »
Nobody cares.
to be fair, it was a great strategy to release during the first few weeks of lockdown. We had nothing else to watch.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2022, 10:15:29 AM »
to be fair, it was a great strategy to release during the first few weeks of lockdown. We had nothing else to watch.

To be fair,  the large majority of views have been over Netflix, where it wasn't released until July 2020.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 20, 2022, 10:34:37 AM »
It was a great story, but it happened more than two decades ago.  I know Bears fans love to live in the past, but I guess Bulls fans do as well.

I mean, Marquette basketball wears "AL" on its uniforms, practices in the AL McGuire Center and plays home games on the AL McGuire court, beneath an "Al" banner.
It's hardly unique to one fanbase. Just not the ones with storied pasts to celebrate (looking at you, Brewers fans).

Regardless, the point is LOTS of people still care about those Bulls teams, and not just Bulls fans living in the past. MJ hasn't played a game in two decades and is still the most popular and recognizable basketball player on the planet, including among people not old enough to remember his playing days.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 20, 2022, 10:39:33 AM »
I mean, Marquette basketball wears "AL" on its uniforms, practices in the AL McGuire Center and plays home games on the AL McGuire court, beneath an "Al" banner.
It's hardly unique to one fanbase. Just not the ones with storied pasts to celebrate (looking at you, Brewers fans).

Regardless, the point is LOTS of people still care about those Bulls teams, and not just Bulls fans living in the past. MJ hasn't played a game in two decades and is still the most popular and recognizable basketball player on the planet, including among people not old enough to remember his playing days.

You'll get no argument from me on the AL stuff, I've made similar arguments here before as well.

Having said that, it wasn't a Marquette fan writing the article about DePaul basketball.  A Bulls fan created the discussion, so he shall absorb the criticism.

It is fun to see how defensive Chicago sports fans get though.   ;)