[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Baby Food Shortage  (Read 5628 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Baby Food Shortage
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2022, 07:50:15 PM »
I thought they were a source of energy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2022, 07:54:43 PM »

Babies have all kinds of illicit uses.  Some people want Roe to stay on the books, but secretly, liberals want more for all kinds of nefarious reasons.  You get better value buying them by the dozen
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2022, 08:18:37 PM »
Babies are delicious and an incredible source of food to give to illegals replacing white men
I think this is my favorite post of all time.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2022, 09:44:02 PM »
I think this is my favorite post of all time.

So, I’m reduced to being Rico’s straight man now?  :-\

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2022, 10:59:56 PM »
Not the babies. They only burn the fetuses. Once they are born, the blood is way too delicious to burn them for electricity.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2022, 07:38:15 AM »
You're not Jonathan Swift Uncle R.  You're pretty clever though.

On a serious note this thread (that I started) was supposed to be about the baby formula shortage which is an issue we can all agree is a huge problem and should have nothing to do with politics.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2022, 07:38:55 AM »
You're not Jonathan Swift Uncle R.  You're pretty clever though.

On a serious note this thread (that I started) was supposed to be about the baby formula shortage which is an issue we can all agree is a huge problem and should have nothing to do with politics.

It was just a modest proposal. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2022, 07:51:17 AM »
It was just a modest proposal.

I would highly recommend the Drapier's Letters and a Tale of a Tub along with Swift's non-satirical collection of sermons.  The man had prime-time talent with the pen

Maybe you need to footnote your takes Uncle R?.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2022, 07:58:46 AM »
I would highly recommend the Drapier's Letters and a Tale of a Tub along with Swift's non-satirical collection of sermons.  The man had prime-time talent with the pen

Maybe you need to footnote your takes Uncle R?.

Swift is one of my faves. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2022, 08:05:31 AM »

He's also a much more important historical figure for Ireland than he is given credit. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2022, 02:50:16 PM »

A solution was proposed. It wasn’t perfect, but it was a start.  Many, all from one “side,” rejected it immediately without offering a solution themselves. We all agree it’s a huge problem, Muggs, but you and I don’t have the power to do a damn thing about it.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2022, 03:46:59 PM »

9 out of 10?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2022, 04:50:48 PM »
A solution was proposed. It wasn’t perfect, but it was a start.  Many, all from one “side,” rejected it immediately without offering a solution themselves. We all agree it’s a huge problem, Muggs, but you and I don’t have the power to do a damn thing about it.

You’ve never had a problem where you say “I’m not sure how to fix it, but this isn’t it”?  Doing something just to do something isn’t always prudent.  You don’t have to automatically have a corresponding fix in order to veto spending.  There is of course tons of partisan hackery involved, but this would be far from the first time a crisis was used to fund something tangentially related.

We have a terrible condensation problem in our apartment bathroom we’ve been trying to solve.  Ive been struggling to find a solution.  My wife found a fairly costly remedy that basically prevents future build ups of water in places that can then lead to condensation…which would be helpful if we were starting from scratch but it really doesn’t help the in process condensation problem.  I had no problem vetoing her proposal despite not having a better alternative because I strongly felt it would not assist in the current “crisis”. (Shrug)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2022, 05:27:04 PM »
You’ve never had a problem where you say “I’m not sure how to fix it, but this isn’t it”?  Doing something just to do something isn’t always prudent.  You don’t have to automatically have a corresponding fix in order to veto spending.  There is of course tons of partisan hackery involved, but this would be far from the first time a crisis was used to fund something tangentially related.

We have a terrible condensation problem in our apartment bathroom we’ve been trying to solve.  Ive been struggling to find a solution.  My wife found a fairly costly remedy that basically prevents future build ups of water in places that can then lead to condensation…which would be helpful if we were starting from scratch but it really doesn’t help the in process condensation problem.  I had no problem vetoing her proposal despite not having a better alternative because I strongly felt it would not assist in the current “crisis”. (Shrug)

Do you constantly, publicly, angrily rip your wife for having no solution to the condensation problem?

Edit: Meanwhile, back to the actual problem ...

U.S. military aircraft will deliver 132 pallets of baby formula from Germany to Indianapolis over the weekend, in support of a Biden administration initiative that aims to quickly increase supplies of the food source amid a national shortage.

The flights are part of Operation Fly Formula, which was launched after President Biden authorized the Agriculture Department and the Department of Health and Human Services to request Pentagon-contracted commercial planes to deliver formula from abroad. Military planes will transport the supplies this time, as no commercial aircraft were available, the White House said.

The imports will fill immediate gaps while also buying time for domestic manufacturers to ramp up production. The military’s involvement in transporting baby formula reflects the urgency of the shortage, which is particularly hitting medically vulnerable babies and some older children who may rely on formula because of life-threatening food allergies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2022/05/21/baby-formula-imports-abbott-wic/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F36e5a98%2F628909f8956121755a881339%2F5f8d147cae7e8a56e5b732a4%2F10%2F70%2F628909f8956121755a881339
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 05:42:40 PM by MU82 »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2022, 05:44:27 PM »

Yep

MU82

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2022, 12:50:20 PM »
Abbott's CEO wrote an op-ed for the Washington Post about what they're doing re formula shortage.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/05/21/abbott-ceo-robert-ford-formula-elevil/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F36e80ed%2F628a5997956121755a8a240f%2F5f8d147cae7e8a56e5b732a4%2F17%2F72%2F628a5997956121755a8a240f

Here's the main part:

First, for the families of those children hospitalized, we wish we could provide them the formula they need today and are working to identify ways to do so. We will prioritize EleCare when manufacturing resumes and get that out the door first. In the meantime, we’re establishing a $5 million fund that will be independently administered to help these families with medical and living expenses as they weather this storm.

Secondly, you can feel safe buying any Abbott product you find on the store shelves. What is available has passed rigorous inspections and is ready for your babies.

Third, we have been taking serious steps to relieve the supply crisis. We converted lines of our adult nutrition products at our Columbus, Ohio, plant to prioritize production of ready-to-feed liquid infant formula. And we have been air-shipping millions of cans of our most widely used powdered infant formula from an FDA-approved facility in Ireland to the United States since the recall.

As you may have heard, we also entered into a consent decree with the FDA related to our closed facility. This was a major step toward quickly and safely reopening. We expect we’ll be able to restart the facility by the first week in June. From the time we restart production at the site, it will take six to eight weeks before product is available on shelves. When we are operating our Michigan facility at full capacity, we will more than double our current production of powdered infant formula for the United States. By the end of June, we will be supplying more formula to Americans than we were in January before the recall.

Finally, we are making significant investments to ensure this never happens again. We plan to expand both capacity and redundancy. This will increase the nation’s formula supply and create the redundancy we need to never have to stop production of critical products such as EleCare again. And we will similarly invest in upgrading our safety and quality processes and equipment.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 22, 2022, 07:22:37 PM »

U.S. military aircraft will deliver 132 pallets of baby formula from Germany to Indianapolis over the weekend, in support of a Biden administration initiative that aims to quickly increase supplies of the food source amid a national shortage.

The flights are part of Operation Fly Formula, which was launched after President Biden authorized the Agriculture Department and the Department of Health and Human Services to request Pentagon-contracted commercial planes to deliver formula from abroad. Military planes will transport the supplies this time, as no commercial aircraft were available, the White House said.

The imports will fill immediate gaps while also buying time for domestic manufacturers to ramp up production. The military’s involvement in transporting baby formula reflects the urgency of the shortage, which is particularly hitting medically vulnerable babies and some older children who may rely on formula because of life-threatening food allergies.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/us-policy/2022/05/21/baby-formula-imports-abbott-wic/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F36e5a98%2F628909f8956121755a881339%2F5f8d147cae7e8a56e5b732a4%2F10%2F70%2F628909f8956121755a881339

Now if the $28MM was for this sort of program, game on completely.  Kudos to the admin for putting it together and swinging it

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2022, 06:17:49 AM »

Old or new place

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 23, 2022, 08:04:53 AM »

Ceiling vent fan?  If no, install one to vent outside and need to run a bit after finishing in the bathroom to fully vent out moisture.

Is it the toilet?  Make sure you get a toilet with the insulated tank (Styrofoam layer in the tank).  I have well water and always had a problem with toilet condensation until we put in 20 years ago and we haven't seen since.

May have a wall insulation problem or no insulation in an outside wall and the temperature/moisture differential between the bathroom and outside may cause the issue.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 23, 2022, 10:25:30 AM »
Old or new place

Newer, roughly 5 years old or so.

Ceiling vent fan?  If no, install one to vent outside and need to run a bit after finishing in the bathroom to fully vent out moisture.

Is it the toilet?  Make sure you get a toilet with the insulated tank (Styrofoam layer in the tank).  I have well water and always had a problem with toilet condensation until we put in 20 years ago and we haven't seen since.

May have a wall insulation problem or no insulation in an outside wall and the temperature/moisture differential between the bathroom and outside may cause the issue.

I'm pretty sure venting is the issue.  There is a vent fan, but its pretty weak and not sure what purpose its serving as its clearly not circulating or removing air like it should.

We rent so its a dialogue with our landlord (which makes the attempted pricey fix my wife suggested even sillier  ;D) and we move out end of July anyways, so probably will just hold the line.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 23, 2022, 11:56:53 AM »
Newer, roughly 5 years old or so.

I'm pretty sure venting is the issue.  There is a vent fan, but its pretty weak and not sure what purpose its serving as its clearly not circulating or removing air like it should.

We rent so its a dialogue with our landlord (which makes the attempted pricey fix my wife suggested even sillier  ;D) and we move out end of July anyways, so probably will just hold the line.

Sounds like the fan needs to be replaced.  May be undersized for the bathroom.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2022, 12:02:12 PM »
I didn't expect this to turn into the bathroom ventilation thread.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2022, 12:30:37 PM »
I didn't expect this to turn into the bathroom ventilation thread.
cmon, babyfood does lead to needing proper bathroom  ventilation

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2022, 12:33:47 PM »
cmon, babyfood does lead to needing proper bathroom  ventilation

Maybe in public bathrooms, but unless you're going well down the chain of life events, I doubt many babies are being changed in the toilet.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2022, 06:02:38 AM »
We're going to run out of formula this week. Our fortune is that Simon is 3 weeks away from his first birthday and our pediatrician said we can just switch to whole milk a little bit early. I still check for formula every time I go to the store.

What's baffled me is this effectively has come from one producer shutting down production. We use Enfamil and they were never part of the recall, yet despite my 4-5 trips per week to grocery stores or Target, I haven't seen a container of anything in months. You'd think even with one producer shutting down, you'd occasionally luck into a shipment from one of the others.

Maybe there are parenting Facebook groups that are telling all their members when shipments come so there's a rush every time that a few cases come in, but it's amazing how thoroughly Similac hamstrung the industry.

feedback