[Today at 12:09:25 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by WeAreMarquette96
[Today at 10:46:31 AM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: New NIL Collective for MBB and WBB  (Read 25199 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: New NIL Collective for MBB and WBB
« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2022, 06:48:32 PM »
All boxers dont have one year deals-its usually based on a number of fights,
Horses or jockeys? Nope
Auto racing, nope, many have longer deals

Man, talk about apples to oranges. you've just named individual sports

Bullfighting? The bulls are on one fight terms

They have sponsorship deals (NIL) and pay for performance (winnings). The question is name a professional sport. I did. Some of these are team.  Is the PGA (aka NCAA) paying a golfer a salary or sponsorship deal? No, they are collecting winnings paid by entry fees and sponsors. Btw, the NCAA also has individual sports.

In terms of bullfighting, humor evades you.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2022, 06:48:13 AM »
They have sponsorship deals (NIL) and pay for performance (winnings). The question is name a professional sport. I did. Some of these are team.  Is the PGA (aka NCAA) paying a golfer a salary or sponsorship deal? No, they are collecting winnings paid by entry fees and sponsors. Btw, the NCAA also has individual sports.

In terms of bullfighting, humor evades you.
You still didn't name a league where everyone is on one year contracts.
 In terms of individual sports for the NCAA, most are individual events in the confines of a team, and most dont really make money for the school.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #102 on: May 11, 2022, 07:06:52 AM »
You still didn't name a league where everyone is on one year contracts.
 In terms of individual sports for the NCAA, most are individual events in the confines of a team, and most dont really make money for the school.

Again just cause you can’t name such a league doesn’t mean they are bad. So you kind of are making an assertion that isn’t provable.

Second while everyone might be on one year contracts, there are switching costs that make any player transfer more than once an unlikely option.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #103 on: May 11, 2022, 07:15:19 AM »
Again just cause you can’t name such a league doesn’t mean they are bad. So you kind of are making an assertion that isn’t provable.

Second while everyone might be on one year contracts, there are switching costs that make any player transfer more than once an unlikely option.
Ok, so you think this new business model that the NCAA created is a good option. Gotcha, the NCAA?

Something will have to give, in my opinion. Either the NCAA will have to crack down on the pay to play (doubtful), the NCAA will allow multi year contracts with SAs (doubtful until they are deemed employees), or the haves will break off from the have nots (that idea is being floated around).

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #104 on: May 11, 2022, 08:07:23 AM »
Ok, so you think this new business model that the NCAA created is a good option. Gotcha, the NCAA?

Who is crediting the NCAA with handling any of this well?  :o
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #105 on: May 11, 2022, 08:13:39 AM »
Who is crediting the NCAA with handling any of this well?  :o
Not that they handled it well, but the implication is that this is going to work.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #106 on: May 11, 2022, 09:06:40 AM »
Something will have to give, in my opinion. Either the NCAA will have to crack down on the pay to play (doubtful), the NCAA will allow multi year contracts with SAs (doubtful until they are deemed employees), or the haves will break off from the have nots (that idea is being floated around).

So your first two options you say are doubtful, which I agree with, at least in the near future. So that would mean that you think the third option is the most likely. Why would NLI/free agency cause the haves to break off from the have nots? If anything, I think this helps solidify the NCAA and will keep the haves from breaking off. The haves have wanted this for a long time.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #107 on: May 11, 2022, 09:08:23 AM »

The NCAA did not in any sense "create" this business model, it was created by their inaction and stubbornness.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2022, 09:13:22 AM »
The NCAA did not in any sense "create" this business model, it was created by their inaction and stubbornness.
Oh, I agree. they still "created" it though.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2022, 09:16:57 AM »
So your first two options you say are doubtful, which I agree with, at least in the near future. So that would mean that you think the third option is the most likely. Why would NLI/free agency cause the haves to break off from the have nots? If anything, I think this helps solidify the NCAA and will keep the haves from breaking off. The haves have wanted this for a long time.
The Ohio State AD has already thrown ideas out there to move away from the NCAA governance. It's inevitable.

• All American
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2022, 09:31:19 AM »
Not that they handled it well, but the implication is that this is going to work.

I think it will work just fine.  People are panicking because they don't like change and because power is being transferred from the athletic administration and coaches to the student athletes.  But once things settle down, the product will be remarkably similar to what it has always been.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2022, 09:40:51 AM »
The Ohio State AD has already thrown ideas out there to move away from the NCAA governance. It's inevitable.

I didn't know that the Ohio State AD could speak things into existence.

Again, what does NIL/free agency have to do with the haves breaking off from the NCAA? They have wanted this for a long time, if anything this helps keep them in the fold. Trying to limit it is what would push them to break off. You may be right that they will one day break away from the NCAA but it will have nothing to do with NIL/free agency.
TAMU

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2022, 10:04:11 AM »
He swings a pretty big stick, however, and he was adamant against pay for play.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2022, 10:19:33 AM »

Again, what does NIL/free agency have to do with the haves breaking off from the NCAA? They have wanted this for a long time, if anything this helps keep them in the fold. Trying to limit it is what would push them to break off. You may be right that they will one day break away from the NCAA but it will have nothing to do with NIL/free agency.

The split is happening
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #114 on: May 11, 2022, 10:36:07 AM »
He swings a pretty big stick, however, and he was adamant against pay for play.

1. A lot of ADs said they were against pay for play while quietly dancing for joy.

2. That was three years ago, lots has changed since then. The haves are not going to break off and then create a league where athletes can't profit off of their NIL. If anything, they would increase the freedom of NIL.

3. The only reason Gene Smith was against pay for play was because he already had the biggest pay for play operation in college sports and didn't want more competition.

The split is happening

Maybe,  but not because of NIL. I've always been skeptical of the rumored split. It would require a lot of people who are historically adverse to change to sign off on a A LOT of change. That works when the status quo isn't benefitting those in power, but I don't think that's the case in college sports.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 10:57:45 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

• All American
« Reply #115 on: May 11, 2022, 11:06:55 AM »
Maybe,  but not because of NIL. I've always been skeptical of the rumored split. It would require a lot of people who are historically adverse to change to sign off on a A LOT of change. That works when the status quo isn't benefitting those in power, but I don't think that's the case in college sports.

Yeah I have no idea why a split would be in the interests of the P5 conferences.  They don't share football revenue.  They have gained an increasing share of basketball revenue through tourney shares and the use of a metric (NET) that seemingly gives them more bids than they might have historically.  They have the NCAA to handle the costly bureaucratic stuff but also be used as a convenient punching bag when the time comes.  And now each of the divisions have more autonomy than ever before.

At no point do I see the other D1 schools or other divisions taking more $$ at the expense of the P5.  Why would they leave that sweetheart deal and suffer all the PR nightmares that come from it?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #116 on: May 11, 2022, 11:07:45 AM »

Yeah I have no idea why a split would be in the interests of the P5 conferences.  They don't share football revenue.  They have gained an increasing share of basketball revenue through tourney shares and the use of a metric (NET) that seemingly gives them more bids than they might have historically.  They have the NCAA to handle the costly bureaucratic stuff but also be used as a convenient punching bag when the time comes.  And now each of the divisions have more autonomy than ever before.

At no point do I see the other D1 schools or other divisions taking more $$ at the expense of the P5.  Why would they leave that sweetheart deal and suffer all the PR nightmares that come from it?
Here's a theory:

https://www.sportico.com/leagues/college-sports/2022/purchasing-nil-rights-1234667232/

• All American

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #118 on: May 11, 2022, 11:20:37 AM »
Behind a paywall so I can't really see it.

“Some of the bigger schools with larger budgets, that are frustrated by the lack of innovation across the board, could get to a point over the next year or so where they say rather than have outside forces manage and control [NIL], we’ll just go in and manage the athletes’ rights [ourselves].” Felt said he could “see [that] happening at the larger programs, which is where it makes sense” based on the number and size of deals at such programs.

Should that occur, Donovan believes it would lead to a split in Division I. “In order for [college sports] to move forward in a way where some of these benefits are being provided in a more equitable fashion, there has to be a shift,” he said. It is simply not possible for a school with a $50 million budget to manage its athletics department in the same (or an equitable) way to a school with a $200 million budget, never mind compete on the field. The NCAA’s new constitution, which gives each division (and by proxy, the schools) control over a portion of their bylaws, opens the door for it to happen.

Donovan isn’t necessarily advocating for that outcome. But he says, “It is prudent for schools to recognize the possibility and consider how they may operate and maintain and enhance success under such a model.”

It should be noted there could be some unintended consequences associated with athletic departments buying and managing student athletes’ NIL rights. “What would it mean for the nonrevenue sports? Are they still competing at the Division I level or do they become club sports on campus?” Donovan wondered. Some schools may decide not to incur the expense if they cannot turn a profit on the athlete’s rights.

Here's the gist of the article

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #119 on: May 11, 2022, 02:18:45 PM »

“Some of the bigger schools with larger budgets, that are frustrated by the lack of innovation across the board, could get to a point over the next year or so where they say rather than have outside forces manage and control [NIL], we’ll just go in and manage the athletes’ rights [ourselves].” Felt said he could “see [that] happening at the larger programs, which is where it makes sense” based on the number and size of deals at such programs.

Should that occur, Donovan believes it would lead to a split in Division I. “In order for [college sports] to move forward in a way where some of these benefits are being provided in a more equitable fashion, there has to be a shift,” he said. It is simply not possible for a school with a $50 million budget to manage its athletics department in the same (or an equitable) way to a school with a $200 million budget, never mind compete on the field. The NCAA’s new constitution, which gives each division (and by proxy, the schools) control over a portion of their bylaws, opens the door for it to happen.

Donovan isn’t necessarily advocating for that outcome. But he says, “It is prudent for schools to recognize the possibility and consider how they may operate and maintain and enhance success under such a model.”

It should be noted there could be some unintended consequences associated with athletic departments buying and managing student athletes’ NIL rights. “What would it mean for the nonrevenue sports? Are they still competing at the Division I level or do they become club sports on campus?” Donovan wondered. Some schools may decide not to incur the expense if they cannot turn a profit on the athlete’s rights.

Could the bolded part result in Gonzaga to the Big East?

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #120 on: May 11, 2022, 02:28:30 PM »

I don't think you're looking at it from the right perspective.

This year, the P5 took 29 of the 68 spots in the first round of the NCAA tournament,  From the P5's perspective, they feel they deserve them all.

I think they look at the NCAA tournament cash cow as being sucked on to support the athletic departments at 275 to 300 programs that nobody would miss if they went away. They're convinced that the value of their own tournament TV contract would be as large or larger than what the NCAA currently generates, and would only be split across 60 teams rather than 350.   

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #121 on: May 11, 2022, 03:07:38 PM »

So schools would no longer offer scholarships. That is going to go over well with a lot of coaches and parents. I could see a lot of letters to congress.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #122 on: May 11, 2022, 03:44:21 PM »
I don't think you're looking at it from the right perspective.

This year, the P5 took 29 of the 68 spots in the first round of the NCAA tournament,  From the P5's perspective, they feel they deserve them all.

I think they look at the NCAA tournament cash cow as being sucked on to support the athletic departments at 275 to 300 programs that nobody would miss if they went away. They're convinced that the value of their own tournament TV contract would be as large or larger than what the NCAA currently generates, and would only be split across 60 teams rather than 350.   

I personally wouldn’t watch an all P5 tournament and I believe a couple hundred million would be with me.   I don’t think they are so short sighted that they would throw the baby out with the bath water.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #123 on: May 11, 2022, 03:49:57 PM »
I personally wouldn’t watch an all P5 tournament and I believe a couple hundred million would be with me.   I don’t think they are so short sighted that they would throw the baby out with the bath water.
Yeah, I certainly would not have any where near the interest I do now.  Might catch an interesting game if I had nothing better to do.

• All American
« Reply #124 on: May 11, 2022, 04:20:45 PM »

he biggest names in college basketball draw the biggest eyeballs in viewership.  Again, people like the idea of cindarellas more than they like watching them.  I think they would do just fine numbers wise.

Most certainly the viewership would decrease, but with the undervalued TV contract getting even more undervalued in the future, I guess I can see why the P5 think they would be better off.