[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: USFL Debuts Today  (Read 4691 times)

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
Re: USFL Debuts Today
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2022, 08:52:40 AM »
Saturday night...
FOX - 1.43 million
NBC - 1.52 million
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

🏀

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2022, 09:05:07 AM »
My FIL was excited about the USFL on Saturday night. Was excited to "watch football again" since he has abandoned the NFL because of politics. At one point direct quote "This is as good as the No Fun League." I started laughing at him.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2022, 09:12:10 AM »
My FIL was excited about the USFL on Saturday night. Was excited to "watch football again" since he has abandoned the NFL because of politics. At one point direct quote "This is as good as the No Fun League." I started laughing at him.

I thought the rule mandating that any player who takes a knee during the anthem gets shot on the spot was just a little extreme, but that's probably what won over your FIL.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2022, 09:24:40 AM »
Saturday night...
FOX - 1.43 million
NBC - 1.52 million

How did that compare against the Golden State / Nuggets game?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

🏀

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2022, 09:30:53 AM »
I thought the rule mandating that any player who takes a knee during the anthem gets shot on the spot was just a little extreme, but that's probably what won over your FIL.

Especially since the executioner is a randomly selected fan who is concealed carrying at the game.

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2022, 10:16:38 AM »
Hold on a second.  Every game for the entire season is being played in Birmingham?  Why?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2022, 10:26:26 AM »
Hold on a second.  Every game for the entire season is being played in Birmingham?  Why?

I don't remember who said it within the USFL, to save on travel cost and get the product on the field going. Playoff and championship games will be played in Canton, Ohio,
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2022, 10:26:50 AM »

I imagine it saves a ton of money. Realistically, this is a made-for-TV product anyhow.
FWIW, the playoffs are in Canton.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2022, 10:28:49 AM »
I don't remember who said it within the USFL, to save on travel cost and get the product on the field going. Playoff and championship games will be played in Canton, Ohio,

Its completely financial.

Additionally, Birmingham is the only one of the franchise locations that doesn't have an NFL team, so that probably helped with subsidies or other football related scheduling/perks/whatever for the city they wouldn't have gotten elsewhere.

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2022, 10:59:24 AM »
I imagine it saves a ton of money. Realistically, this is a made-for-TV product anyhow.
FWIW, the playoffs are in Canton.

Sure it save money, but how many games are the citizens of Birmingham going to actually show up and watch?  I think we have learned that having crowds in the stands helps with the television product.   How are the citizens of <insert city> going to develop any attachment to that team if they aren't going to at least have the option to watch them in person?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2022, 11:44:34 AM »

Sure it save money, but how many games are the citizens of Birmingham going to actually show up and watch?  I think we have learned that having crowds in the stands helps with the television product.   How are the citizens of <insert city> going to develop any attachment to that team if they aren't going to at least have the option to watch them in person?

They are doing this as a favor to the fans in the other cities.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2022, 03:11:23 PM »
My kids bus stop this morning had more people at it than the games in Birmingham had yesterday.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2022, 03:21:30 PM »

I would think special effects have improved enough to make it look like the stands are full.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2022, 10:30:43 AM »

How did that compare against the Golden State / Nuggets game?
4.5M
-Bill Walton

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2022, 11:11:04 AM »
If they can do this, then they can use technology to call balls and strikes.  They are already using it for TV.

How about fouls in college basketball? They could put a chip in the basketball to accurately call goal tending, steals where only the ball was touched, not the player; even jump balls.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2022, 12:36:58 PM »
How about fouls in college basketball? They could put a chip in the basketball to accurately call goal tending, steals where only the ball was touched, not the player; even jump balls.

I see you don't understand how these things work.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2022, 04:18:50 PM »
I see you don't understand how these things work.

There's a "chip" so it can do magic, right?

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2022, 04:23:40 PM »
There's a "chip" so it can do magic, right?

If you put a microchip in the basketball, could someone manipulate it with a remote control?  It might solve our shooting woes. 

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2022, 04:28:42 PM »
If you put a microchip in the basketball, could someone manipulate it with a remote control?  It might solve our shooting woes.

Pretty sure this is one of those "slippery slopes" that led to all those basketballs voting in Chicago for the Daleys.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2022, 04:31:15 PM »
Been done before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SI2hYjlZ1c

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2022, 05:32:23 PM »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2022, 08:33:15 PM »
Soccer has had goal line technology (not VAR) for years.  No reason the NFL couldn't use the tech
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 08:41:27 PM by ZiggysFryBoy »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2022, 08:36:31 PM »
Soccer has had goal line technology (not VAR for years.  No reason the NFL couldn't use the tech
It would help sometimes.  Still will have those instances where they are trying to determine where the ball was when the knee hit.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2022, 08:41:12 PM »
It would help sometimes.  Still will have those instances where they are trying to determine where the ball was when the knee hit.

No doubt.  But it's better than 2 guys running in from the sidelines trying to mark a spot in a 15 man pile.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2022, 08:42:41 PM »
I'm not sure it changes that.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

feedback