[Today at 07:02:50 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by JakeBarnes
[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: USFL Debuts Today  (Read 4566 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
USFL Debuts Today
« on: April 16, 2022, 08:58:47 AM »
Some rule changes:

**The option of a three point conversion from the 10 yard line after a touchdown
**A fourth and 12 option instead of an onside kick
**Pass interference is not a spot foul unless it's blatant.
**No first down chains. They will instead use a chip in the football.

The real question is whether they will survive the whole first season. I still don't see much demand for spring football but I guess we will see.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

cheebs09

• All American
Re: USFL Debuts Today
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2022, 09:41:03 AM »
I’m very interested by the last one. Seems long overdue.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2022, 09:55:20 AM »
I’m very interested by the last one. Seems long overdue.

What, this isn't exact enough for you?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2022, 09:58:07 AM »
Iz dat a sliderule da ref iz usin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2022, 09:59:31 AM »
Hopefully this USFL isn’t ended because of one moron, grifter owner
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2022, 10:01:18 AM »
Snyder in da league, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2022, 10:02:57 AM »

Speaking of which, I highly recommend "Football for a Buck" by Jeff Pearlman, which is a great read about the rise and fall of the original USFL.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2022, 10:05:23 AM »
Speaking of which, I highly recommend "Football for a Buck" by Jeff Pearlman, which is a great read about the rise and fall of the original USFL.

I read it.  Fantastic read.  Such a shame a petulant child who couldn’t get an NFL team sabotaged the USFL
« Last Edit: April 16, 2022, 10:58:00 AM by Uncle Rico »
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2022, 10:22:29 AM »
XFL starts back up in February of 2023 as well.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2022, 11:38:18 AM »
Some rule changes:

**The option of a three point conversion from the 10 yard line after a touchdown
**A fourth and 12 option instead of an onside kick
**Pass interference is not a spot foul unless it's blatant.

The real question is whether they will survive the whole first season. I still don't see much demand for spring football but I guess we will see.

So what happens if the chip is defective? Can the chip be hacked to favor one team over the other or interfered with?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2022, 11:48:31 AM »
So what happens if the chip is defective? Can the chip be hacked to favor one team over the other or interfered with?

Yes. I heard that teams have hired designated hackers to mess with the football. It’s part of the fun!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2022, 01:00:03 PM »

I hope it is.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2022, 01:03:54 PM »
I read it.  Fantastic read.  Such a shame a petulant child who couldn’t get an NFL team sabotaged the USFL

Heheheheheh

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2022, 01:04:31 PM »

Jesus Christ.

Why do old people think everything can be 'hacked'?

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2022, 01:08:00 PM »
Well, if an election can be hacked and the U.S. is relegated to being a 3rd world country, certainly fixin' a football is no big thang, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2022, 01:20:54 PM »
XFL starts back up in February of 2023 as well.

Guess which one has a STL fanchise  ;D

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2022, 01:24:03 PM »
I would rather continue to relitigate the Hausers than watch the USFL.   Although history could repeat and a Michigan team could actually win a football championship.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2022, 02:17:25 PM »
Yes. I heard that teams have hired designated hackers to mess with the football. It’s part of the fun!
a blend of e-sports and real sports! I love it!

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2022, 03:39:32 PM »
“Thanks to Myerson and Trump and a strategy that made little to no sense, the USFL walked out of the courtroom with $3 to its name.”

“Maurice Carthon, the Generals’ marvelous fullback, became a New York Giant.  “Donald Trump came to me and said, ‘fans don’t come to see you play.  They come to see Herschel and Flutie’,” Carthon recalled.  “I said, I’m glad you’re telling me this, because I just signed a contract with the Giants’.  He changed his tune real quick; told me to stick around for fall; that he’d call my agent and get it done.  No chance - I was gone.”

“Trump told his colleagues that the USFL - a league that he had barely been a part of - needed to move to fall and directly challenge the NFL.  Not in 10 years, not in 5 years.  Now - as soon as possible.  “I guarantee you folks in this room that I will produce CBS and I will produce NBC and I that I will produce ABC, guaranteed and for a hell of a lot more money than the horse$&?! you’re getting right now”, he said.”

😂😂

tower912

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2022, 03:56:08 PM »
Foreshadowing.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2022, 04:03:28 PM »

If they can do this, then they can use technology to call balls and strikes.  They are already using it for TV.
Have some patience, FFS.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2022, 04:12:05 PM »
Jesus Christ.

Why do old people think everything can be 'hacked'?

This post was 5 min too early

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2022, 08:01:19 PM »
Are they going to chip players knees and elbow as well to know when the player is  down?   Seems pointless to only know how far the ball traveled. 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2022, 07:29:47 AM »
Are they going to chip players knees and elbow as well to know when the player is  down?   Seems pointless to only know how far the ball traveled.
We are all already chipped. Thanks to Gates (Bill, not Antonio) and the Covid Vax

MU82

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2022, 08:07:44 AM »
“Thanks to Myerson and Trump and a strategy that made little to no sense, the USFL walked out of the courtroom with $3 to its name.”

“Maurice Carthon, the Generals’ marvelous fullback, became a New York Giant.  “Donald Trump came to me and said, ‘fans don’t come to see you play.  They come to see Herschel and Flutie’,” Carthon recalled.  “I said, I’m glad you’re telling me this, because I just signed a contract with the Giants’.  He changed his tune real quick; told me to stick around for fall; that he’d call my agent and get it done.  No chance - I was gone.”

“Trump told his colleagues that the USFL - a league that he had barely been a part of - needed to move to fall and directly challenge the NFL.  Not in 10 years, not in 5 years.  Now - as soon as possible.  “I guarantee you folks in this room that I will produce CBS and I will produce NBC and I that I will produce ABC, guaranteed and for a hell of a lot more money than the horse$&?! you’re getting right now”, he said.”

😂😂

Yes.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2022, 08:52:40 AM »
Saturday night...
FOX - 1.43 million
NBC - 1.52 million
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

🏀

• All American
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2022, 09:05:07 AM »
My FIL was excited about the USFL on Saturday night. Was excited to "watch football again" since he has abandoned the NFL because of politics. At one point direct quote "This is as good as the No Fun League." I started laughing at him.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2022, 09:12:10 AM »
My FIL was excited about the USFL on Saturday night. Was excited to "watch football again" since he has abandoned the NFL because of politics. At one point direct quote "This is as good as the No Fun League." I started laughing at him.

I thought the rule mandating that any player who takes a knee during the anthem gets shot on the spot was just a little extreme, but that's probably what won over your FIL.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2022, 09:24:40 AM »
Saturday night...
FOX - 1.43 million
NBC - 1.52 million

How did that compare against the Golden State / Nuggets game?

🏀

• All American
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2022, 09:30:53 AM »
I thought the rule mandating that any player who takes a knee during the anthem gets shot on the spot was just a little extreme, but that's probably what won over your FIL.

Especially since the executioner is a randomly selected fan who is concealed carrying at the game.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2022, 10:16:38 AM »
Hold on a second.  Every game for the entire season is being played in Birmingham?  Why?

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2022, 10:26:26 AM »
Hold on a second.  Every game for the entire season is being played in Birmingham?  Why?

I don't remember who said it within the USFL, to save on travel cost and get the product on the field going. Playoff and championship games will be played in Canton, Ohio,
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2022, 10:26:50 AM »

I imagine it saves a ton of money. Realistically, this is a made-for-TV product anyhow.
FWIW, the playoffs are in Canton.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2022, 10:28:49 AM »
I don't remember who said it within the USFL, to save on travel cost and get the product on the field going. Playoff and championship games will be played in Canton, Ohio,

Its completely financial.

Additionally, Birmingham is the only one of the franchise locations that doesn't have an NFL team, so that probably helped with subsidies or other football related scheduling/perks/whatever for the city they wouldn't have gotten elsewhere.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2022, 10:59:24 AM »
I imagine it saves a ton of money. Realistically, this is a made-for-TV product anyhow.
FWIW, the playoffs are in Canton.

Sure it save money, but how many games are the citizens of Birmingham going to actually show up and watch?  I think we have learned that having crowds in the stands helps with the television product.   How are the citizens of <insert city> going to develop any attachment to that team if they aren't going to at least have the option to watch them in person?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2022, 11:44:34 AM »

Sure it save money, but how many games are the citizens of Birmingham going to actually show up and watch?  I think we have learned that having crowds in the stands helps with the television product.   How are the citizens of <insert city> going to develop any attachment to that team if they aren't going to at least have the option to watch them in person?

They are doing this as a favor to the fans in the other cities.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #36 on: April 18, 2022, 03:11:23 PM »
My kids bus stop this morning had more people at it than the games in Birmingham had yesterday.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #37 on: April 18, 2022, 03:21:30 PM »

I would think special effects have improved enough to make it look like the stands are full.

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2022, 10:30:43 AM »

How did that compare against the Golden State / Nuggets game?
4.5M
-Bill Walton

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2022, 11:11:04 AM »
If they can do this, then they can use technology to call balls and strikes.  They are already using it for TV.

How about fouls in college basketball? They could put a chip in the basketball to accurately call goal tending, steals where only the ball was touched, not the player; even jump balls.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2022, 12:36:58 PM »
How about fouls in college basketball? They could put a chip in the basketball to accurately call goal tending, steals where only the ball was touched, not the player; even jump balls.

I see you don't understand how these things work.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2022, 04:18:50 PM »
I see you don't understand how these things work.

There's a "chip" so it can do magic, right?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2022, 04:23:40 PM »
There's a "chip" so it can do magic, right?

If you put a microchip in the basketball, could someone manipulate it with a remote control?  It might solve our shooting woes. 

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2022, 04:28:42 PM »
If you put a microchip in the basketball, could someone manipulate it with a remote control?  It might solve our shooting woes.

Pretty sure this is one of those "slippery slopes" that led to all those basketballs voting in Chicago for the Daleys.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2022, 04:31:15 PM »
Been done before:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SI2hYjlZ1c

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2022, 05:32:23 PM »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2022, 08:33:15 PM »
Soccer has had goal line technology (not VAR) for years.  No reason the NFL couldn't use the tech
« Last Edit: April 20, 2022, 08:41:27 PM by ZiggysFryBoy »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2022, 08:36:31 PM »
Soccer has had goal line technology (not VAR for years.  No reason the NFL couldn't use the tech
It would help sometimes.  Still will have those instances where they are trying to determine where the ball was when the knee hit.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2022, 08:41:12 PM »
It would help sometimes.  Still will have those instances where they are trying to determine where the ball was when the knee hit.

No doubt.  But it's better than 2 guys running in from the sidelines trying to mark a spot in a 15 man pile.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2022, 08:42:41 PM »
I'm not sure it changes that.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2022, 07:22:40 PM »
Are all games at the same field? Because they are doing great at field maintenance then.