collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Twitter  (Read 9015 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: Twitter
« Reply #75 on: April 26, 2022, 07:29:11 AM »
I thought this was good though.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/04/elon-musk-buys-twitter/629675/

"Twitter is one of the most important products in the space of information. In the news discourse, Twitter is very often the straw that stirs the drink. But it’s a terrible business, which has lost $861 million as a public firm and reported a profit in less than half of its earnings calls since going public in 2013. It’s also bafflingly torpid at innovation. The direct-message functionality has been updated sluggishly. The Trending Topics section is the strangest piece of real estate on the internet, where pile-ons jockey for space with bizarrely insistent attempts to get me to learn more about Zendaya’s red-carpet look.

Why is it such a bad business? I’m not sure, exactly. But consider the fact that, at the board-of-directors level, Twitter is basically run by a bunch of people who never use Twitter. If I told you that a restaurant was run by chefs who never taste the food, you might say something like “It sounds like the food might have a lot of problems,” or “I’ll bet the diners constantly complain about it,” or “I suspect that repeated requests to change the menu are met with relative indifference,” and guess what, all of that is more or less true with Twitter.

I don’t want to suggest that zero Twitter engineers and product managers are on Twitter. Many are, and I know some of them personally, and they’re fantastic. My point is that corporate leadership matters, and it might be nice to have somebody who cares lovingly for Twitter to be in charge of Twitter—if for no other reason than to do something about that infernal Trending Topics box. Musk’s love of Twitter is beyond doubt. His ability to transmute that love into nifty app updates for power users is less certain."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 26, 2022, 07:43:08 AM »
I thought this was good though.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2022/04/elon-musk-buys-twitter/629675/

"Twitter is one of the most important products in the space of information. In the news discourse, Twitter is very often the straw that stirs the drink. But it’s a terrible business, which has lost $861 million as a public firm and reported a profit in less than half of its earnings calls since going public in 2013. It’s also bafflingly torpid at innovation. The direct-message functionality has been updated sluggishly. The Trending Topics section is the strangest piece of real estate on the internet, where pile-ons jockey for space with bizarrely insistent attempts to get me to learn more about Zendaya’s red-carpet look.

Why is it such a bad business? I’m not sure, exactly. But consider the fact that, at the board-of-directors level, Twitter is basically run by a bunch of people who never use Twitter. If I told you that a restaurant was run by chefs who never taste the food, you might say something like “It sounds like the food might have a lot of problems,” or “I’ll bet the diners constantly complain about it,” or “I suspect that repeated requests to change the menu are met with relative indifference,” and guess what, all of that is more or less true with Twitter.

I don’t want to suggest that zero Twitter engineers and product managers are on Twitter. Many are, and I know some of them personally, and they’re fantastic. My point is that corporate leadership matters, and it might be nice to have somebody who cares lovingly for Twitter to be in charge of Twitter—if for no other reason than to do something about that infernal Trending Topics box. Musk’s love of Twitter is beyond doubt. His ability to transmute that love into nifty app updates for power users is less certain."

1) There is no doubt that Twitter was woefully managed. That's why I bought when Dorsey was shown the door. I was expecting new management to at least try to innovate more.
2) Yes, the DoB bears some responsibility, but Dorsey was the CEO for more than a decade while they failed to take advantage of the platform's success. I don't know why he somehow is not included as "leadership".
3) Less moderation, more disinformation, more bots blasting that disinformation is not good for society. But, that's what they guy with the 12-year old maturity level and $250B wants, and oligarchs get what they want.
4) Ain't nothing wrong with Zendaya's red carpet look.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 26, 2022, 07:59:53 AM »
I predict that twitter will diminish and a different platform will pop up to replace it.  One with the rules and guardrails in place from the beginning.    It will take a few years.

Or else Musk will get bored and sell it.   I do not view Twitter in its current form and Musk as a long term relationship.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 26, 2022, 08:02:14 AM »
I predict that twitter will diminish and a different platform will pop up to replace it.  One with the rules and guardrails in place from the beginning.    It will take a few years.

Or else Musk will get bored and sell it.   I do not view Twitter in its current form and Musk as a long term relationship.

Alright Tower.  I guess I shouldn't buy a chunk and use the profits for NIL MU hoops money. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 26, 2022, 08:08:18 AM »
I am just a shlub on a message board.   All of my stuff is in mutual funds, so I do not consider myself an expert.    Do not make any decisions based in my opinion.

Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 26, 2022, 08:15:31 AM »
I am just a shlub on a message board.   All of my stuff is in mutual funds, so I do not consider myself an expert.    Do not make any decisions based in my opinion.

If we can get some ballers I would sell my two best stocks tomorrow.  But I would need a lot of other scoopers to add to the piggy bank for a sustained run at F4's.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 26, 2022, 09:20:18 AM »
Mr. Market does not appear to like the fact that Musk is using Tesla as collateral for his Twitter buy.

TLSA down 7.7% to $921 as I write this.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #82 on: April 26, 2022, 09:46:31 AM »
Mr. Market does not appear to like the fact that Musk is using Tesla as collateral for his Twitter buy.

TSLA is just starting on of its semi-regular round trips from $1k to $750 and back. I'm convinced it's manipulated somehow to extract a little gain up and little gain down and the brokers to pull commissions to make it happen.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #83 on: April 26, 2022, 10:21:25 AM »
At what point in time do you believe Twitter was great?

I mean, just 9 years after going public it's being taken private for $1 more than its price in the very early days (as far back as Marketwatch goes, anyway). If that's not cash money, I don't know what is.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 26, 2022, 11:07:18 AM »

Definitely factoring in the increased risk to Tesla, though I don't think it will amount to anything. The financial results from a private Twitter will be as invisible as Solar City.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 26, 2022, 12:45:43 PM »
TSLA is just starting on of its semi-regular round trips from $1k to $750 and back. I'm convinced it's manipulated somehow to extract a little gain up and little gain down and the brokers to pull commissions to make it happen.

Its a rangebound stock that still has extreme volatility despite being a huge market cap, and is very news centric.  All of that makes it absolutely ripe to be controlled or manipulated around to destroy retail.  Especially when there are huge segments of retail that both think its going to $2K/5K/10K and segments that think its going to sub 500/sub 100/0.  So the extreme option market is very robust.  Its just a crazy ticker to follow.

Yea I don't see that happening.  Its been a preeminent communication and news platform for well over a decade.  Which is like 50+ years in internet years.  I think all thoughts about Twitter's demise revolve around people that don't like Musk in some fashion.  People have bitched and complained about Twitter and changes it needed forever...and still use the app constantly.

As some have mentioned, lost in all the noise is the complete lack of effective monetization.  You have one of the most visited and impactful websites, much less social media vehicles, and its so underutilized in any meaningful money making way.  Its founder and former CEO thought it was a good and feasible idea to be CEO of 2 public companies at the same time.

Musk may be many things, but he's not an idiot and he knows how to make money in the internet realm.  And he LOVES Twitter.  He's not going to run it into the ground or trash it.  I think a likely outcome is relatively minor interface/usage changes are made, it becomes better monetized/more profitable/etc... and is brought back public in the next 2-3 years.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #86 on: April 26, 2022, 01:23:36 PM »

When is Elon buying Scoop\

MU82

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 26, 2022, 01:24:09 PM »
Interesting discussion about TSLA, guys. Thanks.

I'm a long-term investor and don't like to trade in and out of stocks. I do have some TSLA, but it's a pretty small position.

I agree that in the not-distant future any affect Twitter has on TSLA will be immaterial.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #88 on: April 26, 2022, 01:33:10 PM »
Its a rangebound stock that still has extreme volatility despite being a huge market cap, and is very news centric.  All of that makes it absolutely ripe to be controlled or manipulated around to destroy retail.  Especially when there are huge segments of retail that both think its going to $2K/5K/10K and segments that think its going to sub 500/sub 100/0.  So the extreme option market is very robust.  Its just a crazy ticker to follow.

Yea I don't see that happening.  Its been a preeminent communication and news platform for well over a decade.  Which is like 50+ years in internet years.  I think all thoughts about Twitter's demise revolve around people that don't like Musk in some fashion.  People have bitched and complained about Twitter and changes it needed forever...and still use the app constantly.

As some have mentioned, lost in all the noise is the complete lack of effective monetization.  You have one of the most visited and impactful websites, much less social media vehicles, and its so underutilized in any meaningful money making way.  Its founder and former CEO thought it was a good and feasible idea to be CEO of 2 public companies at the same time.

Musk may be many things, but he's not an idiot and he knows how to make money in the internet realm.  And he LOVES Twitter.  He's not going to run it into the ground or trash it.  I think a likely outcome is relatively minor interface/usage changes are made, it becomes better monetized/more profitable/etc... and is brought back public in the next 2-3 years.

Right.  He's not going to buy the whole damn thing, at great personal expense, only to turn around and drive its users away. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 26, 2022, 01:39:01 PM »
The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 27, 2022, 10:07:42 AM »
TWTR currently trading at $48.32. Seems like the believers should dump all of their retirement into the stock and make a quick 15% when Elon buys it.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 27, 2022, 11:00:17 AM »
TWTR currently trading at $48.32. Seems like the believers should dump all of their retirement into the stock and make a quick 15% when Elon buys it.
Outsized risk but outsized rewards for those that do. The drop is Tesla is making it riskier.

Twitter Stock Drops on Fears Musk Might Abandon Deal
https://www.barrons.com/articles/twitter-stock-drops-on-fears-musk-might-abandon-deal-51651071831?siteid=yhoof2

"Twitter shares are falling Wednesday as investors worry that Elon Musk could try to extricate himself from his $44 billion deal to buy the social media company by paying a $1 billion termination fee.

Twitter shares (TWTR) are off 2.6%, or $1.31, to $48.37 in early trading, and now offer 12% upside to the deal price of $54.20 a share. The annualized return is even higher, at more than 20% to the expected deal closing date around Oct. 1.

Twitter shares were down 3.9% Tuesday in reaction to a 12% drop in Tesla shares (TSLA). The fall in Tesla stock rattled Twitter investors by raising some concerns about Musk’s financing for the Twitter deal, which involves a $12.5 billion margin loan and a $21 billion equity commitment. Tesla is up 4.7%, to $917.75, in early trading Wednesday.

Some Tesla investors aren’t happy with the deal, viewing it as a distraction for the Tesla CEO."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #92 on: June 23, 2022, 11:49:38 AM »
From Yahoo Finance:

At an all-hands meeting at Twitter on June 16, its prospective owner, Elon Musk, reportedly called free speech "essential." The very next day, reports emerged that the Tesla CEO fired three employees of his other company, SpaceX, after they helped distribute an open letter criticizing his behavior.‌

The decision by Musk doesn't just highlight his thin skin. It also reflects the fact that being a self-proclaimed "free speech absolutist" just isn't practical. While Musk has said he'd make free speech a key part of Twitter if his planned $44 billion deal to buy it actually goes through, most experts agree that tech platforms need at least some regulation.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #93 on: June 23, 2022, 12:59:35 PM »
From Yahoo Finance:

At an all-hands meeting at Twitter on June 16, its prospective owner, Elon Musk, reportedly called free speech "essential." The very next day, reports emerged that the Tesla CEO fired three employees of his other company, SpaceX, after they helped distribute an open letter criticizing his behavior.‌

The decision by Musk doesn't just highlight his thin skin. It also reflects the fact that being a self-proclaimed "free speech absolutist" just isn't practical. While Musk has said he'd make free speech a key part of Twitter if his planned $44 billion deal to buy it actually goes through, most experts agree that tech platforms need at least some regulation.
Well, they did have non disparagement agreements in their employment contracts, so there's that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #94 on: June 23, 2022, 01:28:13 PM »
Well, they did have non disparagement agreements in their employment contracts, so there's that.

Sure. But don't say you're all about free speech and then severely punish somebody for speaking freely.

What Musk meant is that he's all for free speech as long as he doesn't mind what's been said. That makes him similar to lots of others who claim to be advocates of free speech, regardless of where they reside on the political spectrum.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2022, 01:36:32 PM »
Musk is searching desperately for some way out of this deal and to minimize the break-up fee he'll have to pay to do so. Love the Twitter Board has effectively turned the tables and are trying to force him to complete the deal.

The dog caught the car and is trying to figure out how to let go without getting too much road rash.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #96 on: June 23, 2022, 04:19:31 PM »
From Yahoo Finance:

I think Calvin explained it best.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #97 on: June 23, 2022, 04:26:40 PM »
Sure. But don't say you're all about free speech and then severely punish somebody for speaking freely.

What Musk meant is that he's all for free speech as long as he doesn't mind what's been said. That makes him similar to lots of others who claim to be advocates of free speech, regardless of where they reside on the political spectrum.

You literally just ignored the point about non-disparagement.  I welcome people within my company speaking freely, expressing ideas, and concerns.  I particularly encourage it with my team in India where culturally thats not as accepted and they have some hesitation.  But if I found out someone in my company or on my team was openly talking sh** about me or the company, especially putting it in print, I would be very inclined to toss them.

Free speech and professionalism are 2 different things.  Making demands while calling the founder an embarrassment is just stupid and would get you sh**canned in many many places.  As people love to say, free speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences of that speech.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #98 on: June 23, 2022, 05:02:44 PM »
You literally just ignored the point about non-disparagement.  I welcome people within my company speaking freely, expressing ideas, and concerns.  I particularly encourage it with my team in India where culturally thats not as accepted and they have some hesitation.  But if I found out someone in my company or on my team was openly talking sh** about me or the company, especially putting it in print, I would be very inclined to toss them.

Free speech and professionalism are 2 different things.  Making demands while calling the founder an embarrassment is just stupid and would get you sh**canned in many many places.  As people love to say, free speech doesn't mean freedom from consequences of that speech.

Ok

tower912

• All American
« Reply #99 on: July 08, 2022, 06:52:08 PM »

I do not view Twitter in its current form and Musk as a long term relationship.

Bump