[Today at 09:41:55 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by cheebs09
[Today at 09:36:47 AM]

Pep Band/Cheerleaders by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:22:48 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Bob "Big Daddy" Wild
[Today at 08:40:12 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Here's an Interesting Fact  (Read 4545 times)

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Here's an Interesting Fact
« on: April 11, 2022, 12:44:21 PM »
If Marquette wins the national championship next year, it will be the longest length of time in between championships in the history of the D1 tournament.

This will continue to be the case into the future as long as one of the following schools doesn't win in the meantime: Loyola Chicago, Cincinnati, Ohio State, California, San Francisco, La Salle, Holy Cross, Oklahoma State, Utah, Wyoming, Wisconsin or Oregon.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Dickthedribbler

• All American
Re: Here's an Interesting Fact
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 01:21:29 PM »
You've identified every school that won a National Championship prior to 1978 but that hasn't won one since.

That's an interesting fact. I think it just illustrates how dominate a few programs have become in the last 40-45 years in winning championships. If you take away Duke, North Carolina, UCONN, Indiana, Villanova, Louisville, Michigan State and Kentucky, you don't have much left.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 02:00:09 PM »
You've identified every school that won a National Championship prior to 1978 but that hasn't won one since.

That's an interesting fact. I think it just illustrates how dominate a few programs have become in the last 40-45 years in winning championships. If you take away Duke, North Carolina, UCONN, Indiana, Villanova, Louisville, Michigan State and Kentucky, you don't have much left.

And Florida. I think those 9 are the only ones with 2 or more in the past 45 years.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 02:24:13 PM »
And Florida. I think those 9 are the only ones with 2 or more in the past 45 years.

And Kansas...Dorothy.

Farley36

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 02:40:36 PM »
Here’s an interesting fact.  Marquette will not win a National Championship next year. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2022, 03:00:55 PM »
And Kansas...Dorothy.

Yep,  probably shoulda thought of that one
TAMU

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2022, 03:06:03 PM »
Yep,  probably shoulda thought of that one

You Toto-ly should have.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2022, 03:12:32 PM »
You Toto-ly should have.

No need to get witchy about it
TAMU

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2022, 03:29:22 PM »
Winning would be Wicked Popular.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2022, 03:31:52 PM »
Winning would be Wicked Popular.

Certainly wold be Defying a lot of expectations currently had.

Would have a lot of people on this message board dancing through life.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2022, 03:43:40 PM »
Certainly wold be Defying a lot of expectations currently had.

Would have a lot of people on this message board dancing through life.

A lot of scare crows and tin foil hat wearing posters, too.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2022, 03:50:30 PM »
It would be the Baum.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2022, 04:32:10 PM »
It would be the Baum.

Lent ain't done til Wednesday, kin.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2022, 05:45:13 PM »
Shoot.   I was swearing on the golf course today, too.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2022, 07:45:38 PM »
If Marquette wins the national championship next year, it will be the longest length of time in between championships in the history of the D1 tournament.

This will continue to be the case into the future as long as one of the following schools doesn't win in the meantime: Loyola Chicago, Cincinnati, Ohio State, California, San Francisco, La Salle, Holy Cross, Oklahoma State, Utah, Wyoming, Wisconsin or Oregon.
What about Texas Western? Name changed maybe to Texas A&M.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2022, 07:46:10 PM »

UTEP
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2022, 07:48:17 PM »
UTEP

Yep. Forgot them. Good catch.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2022, 08:49:03 PM »

Texas Western is about 11 hour drive from TAMU
TAMU

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2022, 11:24:46 PM »

What about Texas Western indeed!

When Loyola won the NCAA title in 1963 with 4 black starters it was an historic event that I really didn’t appreciate in real time. In my defense, I was only a high school freshman and the game wasn’t even televised live in Chicago - believe it or not it was on tape delay!

But by the time Texas Western made their historic run (with 5 black starters) in 1966 I was a high school senior. I was familiar with their story (two of their key players, Orsten Artis and Harry Flournoy we’re from nearby Gary, In) and network TV was all over it. On a retreat a month earlier I had first heard Martin Luther King’s “I have a dream” speech in its entirety. So when they met all white Kentucky for the title I was all in. Big Daddy Dave Latin, Bobby Joe Hill, Willie Worsley and the rest - a great team and a true coming of age moment for me, the first (of only a handful) of times I felt I was watching something truly historical. Most of my Marquette friends learned to despise Adolph Rupp after we played Kentucky in back to back NCAA tournament games in 1967 and 68. For me it all began in March of 1966 when little Texas Western took down #1 Kentucky for the National Championship.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2022, 08:15:28 AM »

When Loyola won the NCAA title in 1963 with 4 black starters it was an historic event that I really didn’t appreciate in real time. In my defense, I was only a high school freshman and the game wasn’t even televised live in Chicago - believe it or not it was on tape delay!

But by the time Texas Western made their historic run (with 5 black starters) in 1966 I was a high school senior. I was familiar with their story (two of their key players, Orsten Artis and Harry Flournoy we’re from nearby Gary, In) and network TV was all over it. On a retreat a month earlier I had first heard Martin Luther King’s “I have a dream” speech in its entirety. So when they met all white Kentucky for the title I was all in. Big Daddy Dave Latin, Bobby Joe Hill, Willie Worsley and the rest - a great team and a true coming of age moment for me, the first (of only a handful) of times I felt I was watching something truly historical. Most of my Marquette friends learned to despise Adolph Rupp after we played Kentucky in back to back NCAA tournament games in 1967 and 68. For me it all began in March of 1966 when little Texas Western took down #1 Kentucky for the National Championship.

Great story, Lenny.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2022, 08:44:28 AM »

I graduated HS the same year as you and grew up in the Chicago burb of Riverside. Adolph Rupp was worthy of his ogre role and when Marquette took his team down I was ecstatic. in one of my classes, we had a prof from Alabama with a very strong Southern accent who assured us that Kentucky would show Marquette how the game was supposed to be played. He was a good sport about it days later after the game in which Al got his revenge, recalling Marquette's takedown of UK with imitations of our defense driving the UK players crazy.

You're right that the Texas Southern game was historic, and seeing UK and Rupp go down was fantastic. Was Rupp formerly a member of the KKK or was that just a rumor by his multitude of haters?

Since we were at Marquette at the same time, do you remember a student who was effectively a two legged megaphone at the games and was referred to simply as "The Mouth"?   
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Eye

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2022, 10:12:17 AM »
I interviewed John Green, best player on UCLA's 62 Final Four team, just over a year ago. Said before I even asked a question and before I start recording that Rupp wasn't racist, but didn't want to go against the rest of the SEC. No way to verify the accuracy of that, but just passing it along. Found it interesting that he brought that up without being asked about it at all.
GO WARRIORS!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2022, 11:29:27 AM »
I interviewed John Green, best player on UCLA's 62 Final Four team, just over a year ago. Said before I even asked a question and before I start recording that Rupp wasn't racist, but didn't want to go against the rest of the SEC. No way to verify the accuracy of that, but just passing it along. Found it interesting that he brought that up without being asked about it at all.

No idea whether Rupp was a racist - hope John Green’s belief is accurate. I do know that Al wasn’t a big fan of the Baron. Before we played them in the 1967 NCAA tournament, Rupp famously said to McGuire, “Son, I ‘d like you to come on my weekly TV (or radio - not sure) show this week. Al’s reply? “No thanks, Coach, and unless I’m in the will don’t call me son!”.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2022, 01:05:07 PM »
I graduated HS the same year as you and grew up in the Chicago burb of Riverside. Adolph Rupp was worthy of his ogre role and when Marquette took his team down I was ecstatic. in one of my classes, we had a prof from Alabama with a very strong Southern accent who assured us that Kentucky would show Marquette how the game was supposed to be played. He was a good sport about it days later after the game in which Al got his revenge, recalling Marquette's takedown of UK with imitations of our defense driving the UK players crazy.

You're right that the Texas Southern game was historic, and seeing UK and Rupp go down was fantastic. Was Rupp formerly a member of the KKK or was that just a rumor by his multitude of haters?

Since we were at Marquette at the same time, do you remember a student who was effectively a two legged megaphone at the games and was referred to simply as "The Mouth"?

I don’t remember “The Mouth” but I confess some might have felt that description fit me pretty well.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2022, 01:18:49 PM »
Rupp tried to get UK to ditch the SEC because he wanted to desegregate the basketball team.  I know this is from a UK fan site, but this is a story about one of his assistant coaches.

https://kentucky.rivals.com/news/rice-reed-was-scout-for-rupp-before-joining-staff

Wes Unseld was offered a scholarship by Rupp in 1964, so he would have been on that Cats team that lost to Texas Western had he not chose Louisville instead.

So I know this doesn't really answer the question about how racist Rupp was, but it does show that he was at least more open to desegregating the UK basketball team than rumored.