'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Sam Hauser against Bucks  (Read 23959 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Sam Hauser against Bucks
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2022, 02:10:31 PM »
They didn’t trust Wojo and his coaching philosophy. It happens often. It’s just more touchy when it’s two of your best players.

1. Sam seemed fine with the philosophy for 2+ years. Only after Vanilla Soft Serve joined him did it become an issue.

2. There's an entire Hauser thread in the Superbar.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

panda

• All American
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2022, 02:12:19 PM »
1. Sam seemed fine with the philosophy for 2+ years. Only after Vanilla Soft Serve joined him did it become an issue.

2. There's an entire Hauser thread in the Superbar.

1 - Shockingly things can change over time.

2 - I’d prefer not to read a bunch of grown men constantly celebrate the failures of a college kid. Pretty pathetic.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2022, 02:24:54 PM »

2 - I’d prefer not to read a bunch of grown men constantly celebrate the failures of a college kid. Pretty pathetic.

1. Yes, things changed for Sam once baby bro poisoned the team chemistry.

2. And yet you're in this thread, where a bunch of grown men have celebrated the failures of a college kid.

panda

• All American
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2022, 02:32:21 PM »
1. Yes, things changed for Sam once baby bro poisoned the team chemistry.

2. And yet you're in this thread, where a bunch of grown men have celebrated the failures of a college kid.

Grown men constantly obsessing and putting down kids is pathetic. Not sure how defending them makes me guilty by association.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2022, 03:11:29 PM »
I love the narrative that the Hausers just wanted to “play the right way” and wanted touches for Ed Morrow, Theo John, Jamal Cain, and Greg Elliott. If that’s the case, they’re nowhere near as smart as some here want to make them out to believe. Which explains the 1 NCAA Tourney win in 4 combined years after leaving MU while playing under 2 of the best coaches in the game.
Sammy and Joey were such great team guys…they quit the team.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2022, 03:24:31 PM »
Grown men constantly obsessing and putting down kids is pathetic. Not sure how defending them makes me guilty by association.

Cool.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #81 on: April 10, 2022, 04:17:27 PM »

I think some people are celebrating that the pro-Hauser crowd aren't the basketball experts they claim to be.  Especially the ones who attended Marquette in the 1970s, so they know ball.  Just ask them!

There were several smug posters that labeled Wojo a loser and the Hausers winners.  They couldn't shut up about how smart the Hausers were for leaving for better coaches and programs.  The Hausers were going to win big, or so they thought.

Then the Hausers failed to win big and Joey failed to become a star.  That gave other posters the ammo they needed to call out these self-proclaimed experts.  That is what I see playing out in this thread.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #82 on: April 10, 2022, 04:22:10 PM »
I think some people are celebrating that the pro-Hauser crowd aren't the basketball experts they claim to be.  Especially the ones who attended Marquette in the 1970s, so they know ball.  Just ask them!

There were several smug posters that labeled Wojo a loser and the Hausers winners.  They couldn't shut up about how smart the Hausers were for leaving for better coaches and programs.  The Hausers were going to win big, or so they thought.

Then the Hausers failed to win big and Joey failed to become a star.  That gave other posters the ammo they needed to call out these self-proclaimed experts.  That is what I see playing out in this thread.

When they left, I was mad at Wojo and the staff and like any transfer, didn’t begrudge their choice.

Then scoop started having threads devolve into Hauser threads or see new Hauser threads start every couple weeks or so.

The biggest Hauser fanboys also tend to be the ones that want every other Wojo recruit to transfer or go pro and not let the door hit them on the way out, so it’s a bit bizarre but like I said many times, if they were city kids that looked like Theo John or from anywhere outside of Stevens Point, I doubt many of those same people care
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #83 on: April 10, 2022, 04:40:10 PM »
They didn’t trust Wojo and his coaching philosophy. It happens often. It’s just more touchy when it’s two of your best players.
Then why they would have stayed if Markus wasn't coming back?
Goal is National Championship

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #84 on: April 10, 2022, 04:58:54 PM »

That Sam Hauser "kid" is a 24-year-old professional athlete.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #85 on: April 10, 2022, 04:59:47 PM »

Exactly.

When they left, I was mad at Wojo and the staff and like any transfer, didn’t begrudge their choice.

Then scoop started having threads devolve into Hauser threads or see new Hauser threads start every couple weeks or so.

The biggest Hauser fanboys also tend to be the ones that want every other Wojo recruit to transfer or go pro and not let the door hit them on the way out, so it’s a bit bizarre but like I said many times, if they were city kids that looked like Theo John or from anywhere outside of Stevens Point, I doubt many of those same people care

Yep.

And couple that with some of the horrible things that many (not all, but many) Hauser apologists had to say about Markus Howard -- a true student/athlete who spent 4 years as a great representative of Marquette University while creating so many exciting moments on the court.

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #86 on: April 10, 2022, 05:43:29 PM »
And if the Hauser’s were coming back at least 2 players were going to transfer and possibly more. If true, and my sources are good, then Wojo had to chose between the Hauser’s and the rest of the team—pretty easy decision.

panda

• All American
« Reply #87 on: April 10, 2022, 06:01:34 PM »

Sam was the best player on a conference winning team.

Joey - not so much. He was probably better suited going somewhere else. He never really fit with what Izzo tried to do with him and incorporating him into the team.

panda

• All American
« Reply #88 on: April 10, 2022, 06:02:37 PM »

To be clear - thankfully, I don’t fall into the stereotype explained above.

panda

• All American
« Reply #89 on: April 10, 2022, 06:03:03 PM »

They didn’t like Wojo’s handling, or lack thereof, of an injured Markus’ usage down the stretch.

panda

• All American
« Reply #90 on: April 10, 2022, 06:04:28 PM »
That Sam Hauser "kid" is a 24-year-old professional athlete.

Sam was a junior in college when he transferred and Joey a freshman.

A lot of the shade thrown their way is not directed at Sam the 24 year old Boston Celtic. It’s the traitor who ruined what Wojo had worked towards.

panda

• All American
« Reply #91 on: April 10, 2022, 06:07:49 PM »
And if the Hauser’s were coming back at least 2 players were going to transfer and possibly more. If true, and my sources are good, then Wojo had to chose between the Hauser’s and the rest of the team—pretty easy decision.

Wojo mishandled egos very poorly from the start. He let it get to the low point of bad blood within the team structure.

To be clear - I don’t fault Markus at all. Love the kid. He continued to do what he excelled at throughout his career and what he was recruited to do, down the stretch. Only problem was he was injured and less effective. Wojo should not have let him continue playing the way he did. Just my opinion.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #92 on: April 10, 2022, 06:24:38 PM »
Considering where they transferred to, it makes a lot more sense than they just wanted more shots for themselves.

I agree with this analysis.  They simply didn’t want to play with Markus another year, and that’s totally reasonable.  People call the Hausers selfish, but can you imagine the hellfire and brimstone Markus and his family would’ve brought down upon Wojo if he’d reigned Markus in even a little bit?

There’s a reason Marquette wasn’t able to recruit any good guards while Markus was here.  No one wants to play with a guy like that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #93 on: April 10, 2022, 06:26:41 PM »
I agree with this analysis.  They simply didn’t want to play with Markus another year, and that’s totally reasonable.  People call the Hausers selfish, but can you imagine the hellfire and brimstone Markus and his family would’ve brought down upon Wojo if he’d reigned Markus in even a little bit?

There’s a reason Marquette wasn’t able to recruit any good guards while Markus was here.  No one wants to play with a guy like that.

Lol what?

The reason MU wasn’t able to recruit any good guards while Markus was here was because Wojo was going after guys like Nico Mannion who was having bags dropped for him by Arizona.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #94 on: April 10, 2022, 06:39:40 PM »
Sam was the best player on a conference winning team.

Joey - not so much. He was probably better suited going somewhere else. He never really fit with what Izzo tried to do with him and incorporating him into the team.

Sam was one of my favorite players at MU.  Loved his game going all the way back to his junior year of HS when I watched him at State.

But that Virginia team wasn't much different than the Marquette team from his junior year.  They barely won the ACC, partially thanks to some covid cancellations.  Then flamed out in the 1st round of the tournament.

It was at best marginally better than his junior year at Marquette.  But some of the "experts" on Scoop thought Sam would surely play on the 2nd weekend after escaping Wojo playing for a stud coach like Tony Bennett.  The Hausers were all about winning after all, so they would have deep tourney runs.  And then they promptly won a grand total of one tournament over the next three years.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #95 on: April 10, 2022, 07:22:33 PM »
we should revisit the Wojo / Howard / Hauser's thing again, it's fascinating for 112th time

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #96 on: April 10, 2022, 07:43:49 PM »

Wojo was a great coach.  A true leader of men.  Wojo's X's and O's were fantastic, as was his roster management. 

He didn't have a clue.  Telling Markus to shoot more and giving him the "ultimate green light,' was a fools errand.  His eFG was worse than both Sam and Joey's in their last year.  Yes, efficiency goes down with higher usage, yet it wasn't as though Markus had two stiffs surrounding him.

Lastly it is stupid to interject race into the discussion as to caring or not caring about the Hauser's transfer.  People cared because it illustrated just how poor of coach Wojo was, to lose his second and third best players on a team projected as a pre-season Top 5 team. 

As for the two kids who may have transferred if the Hausers stayed?  I'm sure one was Jamal - yet that was a function of Wojo coaching Jamal like an absolute jack-ass his sophomore year.  Jamal should have transferred due to one-mistake Wojo yanking him at every mistake, meanwhile Markus Howard could have 6 turnovers, be a ball hog, and get told to shoot more. 

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #97 on: April 10, 2022, 07:48:41 PM »
Wojo was a great coach.  A true leader of men.  Wojo's X's and O's were fantastic, as was his roster management. 

He didn't have a clue.  Telling Markus to shoot more and giving him the "ultimate green light,' was a fools errand.  His eFG was worse than both Sam and Joey's in their last year.  Yes, efficiency goes down with higher usage, yet it wasn't as though Markus had two stiffs surrounding him.

Lastly it is stupid to interject race into the discussion as to caring or not caring about the Hauser's transfer.  People cared because it illustrated just how poor of coach Wojo was, to lose his second and third best players on a team projected as a pre-season Top 5 team. 

As for the two kids who may have transferred if the Hausers stayed?  I'm sure one was Jamal - yet that was a function of Wojo coaching Jamal like an absolute jack-ass his sophomore year.  Jamal should have transferred due to one-mistake Wojo yanking him at every mistake, meanwhile Markus Howard could have 6 turnovers, be a ball hog, and get told to shoot more.

Except he stayed so must not have been about Wojo, it must have been something else.

Small Orange Soda

• Team Captain
« Reply #98 on: April 10, 2022, 07:51:14 PM »
Except he stayed so must not have been about Wojo, it must have been something else.

I'd assume it was because a lot of PT opened up with the Hausers gone.

Silent Verbal

• All American
« Reply #99 on: April 10, 2022, 08:08:18 PM »

When the Hausers left, a ton of minutes opened up for Jamal and Bailey, the two players who probably would’ve departed if Sam and Joey stayed. 

Let’s face it, Marquette was the best Jamal was ever going to do, and by his sophomore year, he’d very likely figured that out.  Heck, look where he ended his career.  I’m not surprised he stuck around to get big minutes at a major college basketball school.