[Today at 02:32:03 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The War in Ukraine  (Read 48840 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: The War in Ukraine
« Reply #450 on: September 09, 2022, 10:00:12 PM »
And this:
https://www.dailykos.com/stories/2022/9/9/2121915/-Ukraine-Update-Ukraine-learned-combined-arms-maneuvers-but-at-great-sacrifice

You don't usually see good war snark, but the section about the hill the Wagner Group captured is worth the read.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #451 on: September 10, 2022, 10:05:17 AM »
Now that Ukraine is scoring some pretty major victories, I worry that Putin will do something really insane and evil -- above and beyond his usual level of insanity and evilness.

How bad would it have to get for Russia for Putin to pull out nukes? Hopefully they're off the table, but he is Putin.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #452 on: September 10, 2022, 11:46:25 AM »
Now that Ukraine is scoring some pretty major victories, I worry that Putin will do something really insane and evil -- above and beyond his usual level of insanity and evilness.

How bad would it have to get for Russia for Putin to pull out nukes? Hopefully they're off the table, but he is Putin.

That’s been my worry since the start.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #453 on: September 10, 2022, 12:57:41 PM »
That has been the world's worry from the start.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #454 on: September 10, 2022, 06:01:28 PM »
Maybe could, but he is a rich dictator.  Why threaten his good life.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #455 on: September 10, 2022, 11:05:00 PM »
Maybe could, but he is a rich dictator.  Why threaten his good life.

You are using reason even as you talk about an unreasonable man.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #456 on: September 11, 2022, 10:22:24 AM »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #457 on: September 16, 2022, 10:17:49 AM »
I don't see how Putin politically survives until the end of the year.  If he isn't extremely careful, he will have open rebellion from Chechnya soon.  And then you might see some of the other former Soviet states begin to feast on the corpse of Russia.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #458 on: September 16, 2022, 10:23:54 AM »
Seems like a lot of the former Soviet republics in Asia see more of a future relating to China versus Russia.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #459 on: September 16, 2022, 10:36:54 AM »
Seems like a lot of the former Soviet republics in Asia see more of a future relating to China versus Russia.

I think that was going to happen no matter. However, the Ukraine War seems to have accelerated the process.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #460 on: September 16, 2022, 10:42:38 AM »
I don't see how Putin politically survives until the end of the year.  If he isn't extremely careful, he will have open rebellion from Chechnya soon.  And then you might see some of the other former Soviet states begin to feast on the corpse of Russia.

I went down this rabbit hole recently.  It’s sort of confusing what signals Chechnya is sending and how strong they are.  There’s a fair amount of internal stress there, so can they fight on two fronts?  I know Kadyrov rules with an iron-fist but there was more opposition to him than I imagined. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #461 on: September 16, 2022, 11:00:35 AM »
I went down this rabbit hole recently.  It’s sort of confusing what signals Chechnya is sending and how strong they are.  There’s a fair amount of internal stress there, so can they fight on two fronts?  I know Kadyrov rules with an iron-fist but there was more opposition to him than I imagined.

And there is newly released audio of Kadyrov criticizing Putin and lamenting the difficulties in Ukraine.  Also saying there is a serious disconnect between leadership and what is actually happening on the ground.

A very brazen statement from one of Putin's own.

This tells me that Kadyrov sees the war as lost and is shoring up his leadership to break away if things continue.  If Chechnya breaks away, I wouldn't be shocked to see Georgia make a grab on South Ossetia and Abkhazia.  The Georgian government is essentially pro Putin, but if dominoes start to fall their self interest will outstrip their loyalty to Putin.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #462 on: September 16, 2022, 04:55:21 PM »
And there is newly released audio of Kadyrov criticizing Putin and lamenting the difficulties in Ukraine.  Also saying there is a serious disconnect between leadership and what is actually happening on the ground.

A very brazen statement from one of Putin's own.

This tells me that Kadyrov sees the war as lost and is shoring up his leadership to break away if things continue.  If Chechnya breaks away, I wouldn't be shocked to see Georgia make a grab on South Ossetia and Abkhazia.  The Georgian government is essentially pro Putin, but if dominoes start to fall their self interest will outstrip their loyalty to Putin.

He changed his tune a few days later. I'm sure the FSB said something to him.

I can't see Kadyrov leading a Chechen break-away. He fancies himself way too much of a Russian ultra-national to do so. And, if he flips on Moscow, he will be out on an island. I'm very doubtful Chechen nationals would welcome him back to their side after Kadyrov and his father turned on them.

What his comments do illustrate IMO is the rising tension on Putin from the Russian nationalist community. They have been in a frenzy over the past month about the course of the war. They want a significant escalation in the conflict. Mass mobilization of the Russian people, martial law, a full-scale offensive on Ukraine, etc.

Many think that if a coup comes for Putin it will be from a party that seeks to end the conflict. I have my doubts. The longer this goes on and the worse it gets for the Russian forces, the higher the chances of a coup coming from the other side.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #463 on: September 18, 2022, 08:38:45 AM »
Based on the stuff I've been reading about how the war has progressed, it looks like Douglas-Tyson, the Miracle on Ice and Nova-Georgetown might each be dropping a rung in the "greatest upsets of all time" category.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #464 on: September 18, 2022, 09:56:43 AM »
Based on the stuff I've been reading about how the war has progressed, it looks like Douglas-Tyson, the Miracle on Ice and Nova-Georgetown might each be dropping a rung in the "greatest upsets of all time" category.

I don’t know if this is true.  The strength of the Russian Army has always lied with numbers.  Historically, at least the last few centuries, the myth hasn’t matched reality.  It’s often been disorganized and undisciplined.  We really underestimate the importance of understanding needing a reason to fight.  The Ukrainian’s have it.  Not sure the foot soldier of Russia has the heart for it.

Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #465 on: September 18, 2022, 12:08:06 PM »
Some of the strongman luster is fading from Putin. He was notorious in the past for making world leaders sit and wait when they had a meeting with him. He did the same to Queen Elizabeth and the Pope.

This week at the SCO summit in Uzbekistan, the other world leaders there made him sit alone at the table and wait for them. He has truly been weakened (both at home and especially on the world stage) and I think there is at least a 50/50 chance he will fall. If it happens, it will happen quick. It won't be a long ordeal as he tries to hold on to power.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #466 on: September 18, 2022, 02:40:45 PM »
I don’t know if this is true.  The strength of the Russian Army has always lied with numbers.  Historically, at least the last few centuries, the myth hasn’t matched reality.  It’s often been disorganized and undisciplined.  We really underestimate the importance of understanding needing a reason to fight.  The Ukrainian’s have it.  Not sure the foot soldier of Russia has the heart for it.

Russia also theoretically has the firepower -- nukes, of course, but also weaponry. But we've come to learn that a lot of their weapons were older, out of operation, etc. Plus, they didn't count on the world community being so willing to help Ukraine in that department. Putin thought he was gonna win this war in a week and that the U.S. and others wouldn't be willing to invest in what was surely gonna be a lost cause.

I sure don't know if Ukraine really has the upper hand here or not, but I'll admit this has surprised the hell out of me.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #467 on: September 18, 2022, 03:04:40 PM »

Not sure this is that accurate.

Remember, one can argue we lost in Afghanistan, and Iraq. Not to mention the Bay of Pigs.

None of those had the allied support of the entire world against the aggressor.

Invading a country period is a monumental task. Achieving a sustained victory in modern times is not common.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #468 on: September 18, 2022, 03:07:46 PM »
Not sure this is that accurate.

Remember, one can argue we lost in Afghanistan, and Iraq. Not to mention the Bay of Pigs.

None of those had the allied support of the entire world against the aggressor.

Invading a country period is a monumental task. Achieving a sustained victory in modern times is not common.

One can argue lots of things. Thankfully, no one can argue that we lost WW2!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #469 on: September 18, 2022, 03:13:20 PM »
Because of the chip shortage and supply chain issue, Russia cannot build new tanks, new smart weapons as they use up their pre war stock.

I think learning this lesson is an unspoken reason behind the microchip manufacturing bill.   We need domestic chip production to supply modern weaponry.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #470 on: September 18, 2022, 04:11:50 PM »
Because of the chip shortage and supply chain issue, Russia cannot build new tanks, new smart weapons as they use up their pre war stock.

I think learning this lesson is an unspoken reason behind the microchip manufacturing bill.   We need domestic chip production to supply modern weaponry.

I doubt if most Americans even realize when things like this are done for the military.

Another was the Interstate Highway System under Eisenhower.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #471 on: September 18, 2022, 04:38:40 PM »
It clearly has domestic benefits as well.   Look at auto manufacturing right now.   

So, I think the purpose was two-fold, but the military facet was not discussed

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #472 on: September 18, 2022, 04:51:44 PM »
I doubt if most Americans even realize when things like this are done for the military.

Another was the Interstate Highway System under Eisenhower.

At least it wasn't over him!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #473 on: September 18, 2022, 05:46:37 PM »
It clearly has domestic benefits as well.   Look at auto manufacturing right now.   

So, I think the purpose was two-fold, but the military facet was not discussed

It is absolutely a national security issue.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #474 on: September 20, 2022, 03:42:24 PM »
Shiz is about to get wild. Russians know something.

Google searches for “how to leave Russia”, and “mobilization” are through the roof in Russia right now.

Putin was supposed to make a special announcement tonight but has changed that to tomorrow.

feedback