[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by cheebs09
[Today at 04:00:16 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by NickelDimer
[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Women's Hoops Thread  (Read 3879 times)

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
Women's Hoops Thread
« on: March 27, 2022, 07:54:07 AM »
There are some things that come up about Women's Basketball in general that don't apply to Marquette so I'm creating this thread for that. 

***** Disclaimer - if you hate Women's Hoops, then just ignore this thread please.  I clearly marked the subject in the title so you can just ignore it and I put this in Superbar also.  *****

Random thoughts for today :) :

-Great game last night between 3 seed Michigan and 10 seed South Dakota with Michigan pulling out the 52-49 win.  It's the first Elite Eight appearance for Michigan.  South Dakota's coach Dawn Plitzuweit spent a number of years as an Assistant Coach for Kevin Borseth and UW-Green Bay and Michigan.  I'd think she might have some P5 schools interested in her soon. 

-Tennessee made a few runs but Louisville was in control most of their game to advance to the Elite Eight where they will play Michigan.

-Notre Dame couldn't hold on to pull off the upset over 1 seed NC State who prevailed 66-63.

-UCONN pulled away easily in the second half to beat Indiana and plays NC State Monday night in Bridgeport, CT so UCONN definitely has the fan advantage there.

-The Big East has 2 schools in the Elite Eight which is more than the Big 10, SEC and Big 12 have.  The ACC is the only other conference with two schools in the Elite 8.  I was not expecting this but I'm happy about it :).  Creighton has a tough game tonight against overall 1 seed South Carolina.  I think UCONN has a good chance of knocking off NC State tomorrow to make the Final 4.

-The other Big East team still playing now is Seton Hall who travels to Columbia Monday night for a WNIT quarterfinal game.

-Transfer news - Greg Elliott's sister Gabby Eliott left Clemson and is going back to Michigan - she just announced her transfer to Michigan State.  She was a top 100 recruit in high school.

shoothoops

• All American
Re: Women's Hoops Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 08:54:19 AM »
The ending to the NC State v Notre Dame game was something else.

ND led most pf the game. It was waiting to get fouled in the front court multiple times with 17 seconds left and a 1 point lead. Bit a back spin dribble near half court, steal, lay up, gives NC State its first lead since the 2nd quarter. And an open missed 3 for ND and NC State hangs on to the Elite 8 for the first time since 1998, and only their 2nd ever.

Some had asked here in the past about Duffy and ND when McGraw was retiring. Those that follow Women’s hoops knew Niele Ivey was a big factor in some of their success. Sweet 16 in 2nd year. They return essentially their entire team next year plus add KK Bransford. I would expect them to make a strong Final Four run in year 3 for her.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 01:50:47 PM »
The ending to the NC State v Notre Dame game was something else.

ND led most pf the game. It was waiting to get fouled in the front court multiple times with 17 seconds left and a 1 point lead. Bit a back spin dribble near half court, steal, lay up, gives NC State its first lead since the 2nd quarter. And an open missed 3 for ND and NC State hangs on to the Elite 8 for the first time since 1998, and only their 2nd ever.

Some had asked here in the past about Duffy and ND when McGraw was retiring. Those that follow Women’s hoops knew Niele Ivey was a big factor in some of their success. Sweet 16 in 2nd year. They return essentially their entire team next year plus add KK Bransford. I would expect them to make a strong Final Four run in year 3 for her.

We were traveling yesterday and in the process of changing planes at the end of this game so I could only follow the score updates and it ended just before I had to switch to airplane mode.  I had just picked up on the fact ND had a lead but NC State came back to win it.

I knew Ivey was the heir apparent for McGraw and I think they made a good hire.  They destroyed 4 seed Oklahoma on their home court in the previous round (coached by former Marquette Assistant Jennie Baranczyk) and are in good shapre for next season as you said.  I watched a nice feature on CBS sports on her son Jaden Ivey that hi-lited the bond they have and the time he spent  shooting hoops at the ND sports facilities while his Mom was an Assistant Coach.

Coaching news:
Natasha Adair from Delaware is the new Arizona State Women's Basketball coach:  https://thesundevils.com/news/2022/3/27/womens-basketball-natasha-adair-named-arizona-state-womens-basketball-head-coach.aspx

There's a BE tie-in as Adair coached at Georgetown before moving on to Delaware.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2022, 08:26:09 PM »
Really good game between in the Women's E8 between UCONN and NC. State.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2022, 10:22:03 PM »

I missed most of that game because of a family commitment but caught some of the plays near the end of regulation/into OT on my phone.  I see it went to double OT and UCONN prevailed to make their 14th straight WF4 - an incredible streak. 

A number of upsets in the tournament but in the end there are three #1 seeds and a #2 seed in the WF4.  And the 2 seed UCONN was favored to win tonight and in my mind it's not a huge upset that they made it to the WF4. 

The UCONN-Stanford semfinal Friday has the potential to be a good one.  A drinking game suggestion is to take a drink everytime they mention Russell Wilson or show him at the game - his sister plays for Stanford and he is brought up a lot during any Stanford game I watch. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2022, 11:18:35 PM »

The greatest coach in women's basketball history decided not to foul up 3 ... and it almost cost his team a spot in the Final Four.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2022, 07:44:03 PM »
Last night the list of women's basketball players in the transfer portal went over 800:

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1509003401346048005

I follow Raoul's twitter account and get great updates on transfers and coaching changes in Women's Basketball.  I haven't heard of any player transferring in or out of Marquette yet.  Yet is the key word though.  Notre Dame did have 3 players go into the transfer portal today.

On a different topic, Seton Hall is at MTSU tomorrow night in the WNIT semifinals - good luck to them.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2022, 11:33:18 PM »
The greatest coach in women's basketball history decided not to foul up 3 ... and it almost cost his team a spot in the Final Four.

Geno was on PTI today and Kornheiser asked him about the situation. Geno said if he had it to do over again he would have fouled, but he said that in the moment he wasn't sure he "trusted" his team to correctly execute the foul and what would have followed.

He also said that if he fouled and NCSt made the FTs and then UConn inbounded and was fouled; NCSt could have called a TO after UConn's FTs and would have been able to advance the ball -- which makes it different from the men's game. With 2 seconds left in the women's game, it's a lot easier to get a quality shot than it is for the men, who'd have to go the length of the court. It was interesting to hear him discuss all of that.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2022, 08:19:48 AM »
Last night the list of women's basketball players in the transfer portal went over 800:

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/1509003401346048005

I follow Raoul's twitter account and get great updates on transfers and coaching changes in Women's Basketball.  I haven't heard of any player transferring in or out of Marquette yet.  Yet is the key word though.  Notre Dame did have 3 players go into the transfer portal today.

On a different topic, Seton Hall is at MTSU tomorrow night in the WNIT semifinals - good luck to them.

For the most part those ND players are seeking more playing time. Dodson os receiving a waiver but she is testing the WNBA waters to see where she stands there. Brunelle wasn’t as effective after injury. Peoples had a nice game vs NC State. She’d be the name that stands out as far as transfer portal with regional ties.  I’d expect them to be a Final Four contender next year especially if Dodson returns, as well as with adding KK Bransford etc…Ivey not surprisingly has it going there very quickly and she will win big there.

Speaking of them, Beth Cunningham was hired at Missouri State. Former long time VCU coach and long time ND assistant with Ivey. She was most recent with Duke as Ivey picked Washington, to go with Owens and Mabrey on her staff.

Missouri St. is a good job, good support. She will be expected to win there, make NCAA Tourneys. Last two coaches there are now at Virginia and Tennessee. Some thought GCU coach Molly Miller might get that job.

We’ll see what Butler does. Lots of movement with coaches and transfer portal.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2022, 01:48:29 PM »
Up to 900 in the transfer portal now.

With Butler firing their men’s coach today I wonder if that will delay their hiring of a new Women’s Bball coach.

Looking forward to the semis tonight especially the UCONN-Stanford game.

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2022, 02:08:44 PM »
Up to 900 in the transfer portal now.

With Butler firing their men’s coach today I wonder if that will delay their hiring of a new Women’s Bball coach.

Looking forward to the semis tonight especially the UCONN-Stanford game.

Local writers there have been writing articles about Butler’s inability to be financially competitive in the Big East.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2022, 08:13:27 PM »
Local writers there have been writing articles about Butler’s inability to be financially competitive in the Big East.

And finances are the reason they waited so long after their season ended to fire the Men's coach I read with the buyout being lower now.

South Carolina didn't have too much trouble with Louisville in the first semifinal - think that the UCONN-Stanford semi should be a good battle.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2022, 10:18:57 PM »
Well this UCONN-Stanford game has been a bit of a disappointment - wasn't quite what I was expecting in this one.  It's looking now like it will be a UCONN-Stanford final on Sunday night.  I believe I read that UCONN has never lost in a national championship game but Geon's UCONN teams are something like 11-10 in the national semifinals.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2022, 06:40:02 AM »
Well this UCONN-Stanford game has been a bit of a disappointment - wasn't quite what I was expecting in this one.  It's looking now like it will be a UCONN-Stanford final on Sunday night.  I believe I read that UCONN has never lost in a national championship game but Geon's UCONN teams are something like 11-10 in the national semifinals.

After last night, Geno is now 12-10 in Final 4 games and 11-0 in NC games looking to add one more.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2022, 07:00:36 AM »
After last night, Geno is now 12-10 in Final 4 games and 11-0 in NC games looking to add one more.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see UCONN avenge their early season loss to South Caronlina tomorrow to bring home another title.  It was interesting to see a Geno clip from their first championship run in 1995 - he looked so young but yeah that was awhile ago now - I looked a lot younger then too :).

Hoping for a good championship game tomorrow night.

Seton Hall goes for a WNIT title today - they are at South Dakota State at 3P EST on CBS Sports Network.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2022, 06:33:01 PM »
If I'm not mistaken I think I heard someone on ESPN talking about the salaries of the benches of women's teams vs men's teams beating unequitable in college basketball. Maybe I'm hallucinating?  She can't be serious cam she?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2022, 06:35:58 PM »
If I'm not mistaken I think I heard someone on ESPN talking about the salaries of the benches of women's teams vs men's teams beating unequitable in college basketball. Maybe I'm hallucinating?  She can't be serious cam she?

Why not?
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2022, 06:40:08 PM »
Why not?

You think female coaches should get paid the same as men's coaches?  How exactly could that happen?  Using the revenue from men's teams and football?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2022, 06:52:03 PM »
You think female coaches should get paid the same as men's coaches?  How exactly could that happen?  Using the revenue from men's teams and football?

Most mens programs and football programs lose money, but they somehow find it to pay them. Not that I agree that compensation equity should be mandated but the “where will they find the money” isn’t a great point.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2022, 06:57:58 PM »
Most mens programs and football programs lose money, but they somehow find it to pay them. Not that I agree that compensation equity should be mandated but the “where will they find the money” isn’t a great point.

Well the women's teams that generate money pay their coaches well.  Where is the money coming from as far as the men's teams that lose money?  I honestly don't know.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2022, 06:59:29 PM »
Well the women's teams that generate money pay their coaches..  Where is the money coming from as far as the men's teams that lose money?  I honestly don't know.

Colleges and universities have students who pay tuition, student fees, etc. They raise money too.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2022, 07:04:38 PM »
Colleges and universities have students who pay tuition, student fees, etc. They raise money too.

I guess that was a dumb question.  I don't know how you could pay million dollar salaries to say 50 women's programs.  But colleges are raking in insane cash. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2022, 07:09:35 PM »
Bueckers is very impressive.  I suppose she's not 100% which is too bad.

Marquette Fan

• Team Captain
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2022, 07:37:36 PM »
Butler wasted no time hiring their Men’s Coach - curious to see who they hire for their new Women’s coach.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2022, 07:38:38 PM »
This appears to be a complete mismatch.

feedback