Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wisconsin  (Read 28082 times)

panda

• All American
Re: Wisconsin
« Reply #150 on: March 24, 2022, 09:11:38 AM »
Scoop needs a staff psychologist.

Lol yep - this thread is pathetic.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #151 on: March 26, 2022, 06:40:02 AM »
It’s the same culture that proudly puts foam cheese on their heads and thinks 7 DUI’s is something to be proud of
That is because 7 has always been considered a lucky number
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #152 on: March 26, 2022, 07:21:44 AM »
I don't understand the obsession with UW. Mostly sounds like an inferiority complex.

I grew up in Wisconsin and have been a Marquette fan since I was a little kid. The only time I ever had any interest in Wisconsin was when a couple guys I knew and had played against went there. Really, though, the interest was in the guys I knew - not the team. I just never cared if they won or lost.

It is so nuts here that one poster went on about the reason he hates UW is because of a..., sportswriter? We have poster after poster trash talking UW while others here post that they hate UW fan for, you guessed it, trash talking.

Get over it, guys. I don't know what is worse - the UW obsession by Marquette fans or the vitriol towards Marquette after they lost in the tourney.

Well, living a thousand miles away my perspective is somewhat different. Fans will be fans. When MU would play Rutgers or Seton Hall I would get to talk to many alums many who have spouses or they themselves who attended both MU and UW as grads or undergrads. They cheer for MU basketball and UW football. I think the animus toward UW for many here is that over the last 20 years they have been more consistently successful than MU when it comes to basketball and if you look at it objectively there are many academic disciplines where MU does not have the financial resources to compete equally with a large state funded institution like UW.

Why go to MU when you can go to UW for less is a legitimate question. Why go to UW when you can go to an in state community college for 2 years than go to UW for your BS/BA and save money is also a legitimate question.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #153 on: March 26, 2022, 07:22:09 AM »
Understand.

But fans everywhere are relentless. Go down to SEC country during football season for a taste. But, yeah - UW fans are as bad as any.

Grew up in Tennessee and the devotion to the Vols knows no bounds. Vol football in the fall basically shuts the state down — even when the Vols are bad. When Uncle Phil brought home a natty, the state was giddy beyond giddy.

In the past, nobody ever claimed Tennessee was the Harvard of the Hills. It’s become a much better school in recent years but make no mistake, the state’s loyalty is to football, not the institution.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #154 on: March 26, 2022, 08:10:35 AM »
Well, living a thousand miles away my perspective is somewhat different. Fans will be fans. When MU would play Rutgers or Seton Hall I would get to talk to many alums many who have spouses or they themselves who attended both MU and UW as grads or undergrads. They cheer for MU basketball and UW football. I think the animus toward UW for many here is that over the last 20 years they have been more consistently successful than MU when it comes to basketball and if you look at it objectively there are many academic disciplines where MU does not have the financial resources to compete equally with a large state funded institution like UW.

Why go to MU when you can go to UW for less is a legitimate question. Why go to UW when you can go to an in state community college for 2 years than go to UW for your BS/BA and save money is also a legitimate question.
I don’t necessarily disagree. However, for some perspective, I have a future bro-in-law UW grad texting me daily the score of the UW/MU game, or the score of the UNC/MU game. These texts are random…6am, 3pm, midnight, doesn’t matter.  This will continue until next December’s UW/MU game. Oh, since we lost in Madison, tics this year are on me. Feeding the beast. Ugh

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #155 on: March 26, 2022, 08:24:17 AM »
There’s a level of smugness to many UW fans that is not flattering.

My BIL was prez of the UW alum association. I was talking to his wife back when Ellenson committed to MU.  She responded with “he must have not had the grades to get an offer from Wisconsin”. She was dead serious. 

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #156 on: March 26, 2022, 08:28:30 AM »

My BIL was prez of the UW alum association. I was talking to his wife back when Ellenson committed to MU.  She responded with “he must have not had the grades to get an offer from Wisconsin”. She was dead serious.

A lot of the Wisconsin is perpetuated by the media that covers them.  The academic hurdles for “certain” athletes.  The impeccable “culture” of doing things “the right way”.  You’ll also see the smugness from Potrykus and Oates when talking about other programs, coaches or players.  Potrykus dumped on Grayson Allen and Adam Woodbury from Iowa whenever he could but put Davison on the white stallion racing down the beach and tsk, tsk’d anyone who criticized him or how Gard handled discipline.  When stuff like this gets repeated enough, the morons in the fan base don’t know any better
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #157 on: March 26, 2022, 09:02:20 AM »
A lot of the Wisconsin is perpetuated by the media that covers them.  The academic hurdles for “certain” athletes.  The impeccable “culture” of doing things “the right way”.  You’ll also see the smugness from Potrykus and Oates when talking about other programs, coaches or players.  Potrykus dumped on Grayson Allen and Adam Woodbury from Iowa whenever he could but put Davison on the white stallion racing down the beach and tsk, tsk’d anyone who criticized him or how Gard handled discipline.  When stuff like this gets repeated enough, the morons in the fan base don’t know any better

You’re absolutely right. The Media covering Madison go through knee pads like no one’s business. The hypocrisy rivals South Bend. 

Love how they tried to co-opt Shaka in an article the week of the Euwe Dubyah game this  past season.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #158 on: March 26, 2022, 10:11:53 AM »

You hear this kind of stuff all the time.  That's why I got so upset when DJO was disparaged.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #159 on: March 26, 2022, 10:37:35 AM »
You hear this kind of stuff all the time.  That's why I got so upset when DJO was disparaged.

Exactly. Bill Michaels saying DJO put a guy in the hospital and the video comes out that they are pretty calmly leaving the club.

But no mention of a recruit getting their stomach pumped on a UW recruiting visit.

Then you have the random people saying between the Apt 720 and JUCO stigma that was perpetuated that MU had a bunch of bad characters on the team.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #160 on: March 26, 2022, 11:01:40 AM »
Exactly. Bill Michaels saying DJO put a guy in the hospital and the video comes out that they are pretty calmly leaving the club.

But no mention of a recruit getting their stomach pumped on a UW recruiting visit.

Then you have the random people saying between the Apt 720 and JUCO stigma that was perpetuated that MU had a bunch of bad characters on the team.

It's pretty ubiquitous in Dane County Cheebs.  I like to wear Marquette gear.  I have about 20 or so sweatshirts, fleeces, hoodies, golf and t-shirts, etc.  When I would go to bars to watch hoops I would get into a number of very interesting conversations with Badger fans.  About half of then would just randomly say things clearly not knowing what in the H they were talking about.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #161 on: March 26, 2022, 11:49:32 AM »
You’re absolutely right. The Media covering Madison go through knee pads like no one’s business. The hypocrisy rivals South Bend. 

Love how they tried to co-opt Shaka in an article the week of the Euwe Dubyah game this  past season.

Ehhhhhhhhhh, I'm going to disagree.  The media here in Madison does have a UW bias, but it isn't remotely close to the flat out propaganda that you'd witness in South Bend, or most SEC schools.
It's pretty ubiquitous in Dane County Cheebs.  I like to wear Marquette gear.  I have about 20 or so sweatshirts, fleeces, hoodies, golf and t-shirts, etc.  When I would go to bars to watch hoops I would get into a number of very interesting conversations with Badger fans.  About half of then would just randomly say things clearly not knowing what in the H they were talking about.

I have literally never had a negative encounter unless I sought it out.  There is a section of Marquette fans that are perpetually aggrieved that we get very little respect in our home state, and I get that.  But I've seen jag offs from both fan bases.  UW just has a lot more fans (for obvious reasons) so we will always have a chip on our shoulder.  Which I'm fine with.  Builds character.

Basically, I live in the hornet's nest, refuse to wear UW stuff, and proudly wear my MU gear... And I've never had a bad experience.  I've had people make comments, but in the age of phones it is easy to disprove the people who make things up.  When they bring up the 'UW grades' BS, I remind them that Ron Dayne could barely read, and that UW has had near the top most NCAA infractions of any school in the NCAA.  And that they'd have gladly taken any of the players that chose another school, and defended them all the same.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #162 on: March 26, 2022, 11:52:42 AM »
Since the 2017-18 season, Madison has won 2 NCAA tournament games. They've also been stomped by a 12-seed (Oregon in 2019, the same year we got stomped by Morant). Despite having an experienced team that included a top-10 draft pick, they faded at the end of this season, eventually losing to an 11-seed while scoring 49 points. They've gone 2-3 vs. Marquette these last 5 years. And a couple years before that, their all-time winningest coach was forced out in a sex scandal.

Has Madison been better than Marquette these last 5 years? Sure, and it pisses me off. But they aren't the program I long for Marquette to be. There are many, many, many others I look to when I say, "Damn, I wish our program could be that."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #163 on: March 26, 2022, 11:56:47 AM »
Ehhhhhhhhhh, I'm going to disagree.  The media here in Madison does have a UW bias, but it isn't remotely close to the flat out propaganda that you'd witness in South Bend, or most SEC schools.
I have literally never had a negative encounter unless I sought it out.  There is a section of Marquette fans that are perpetually aggrieved that we get very little respect in our home state, and I get that.  But I've seen jag offs from both fan bases.  UW just has a lot more fans (for obvious reasons) so we will always have a chip on our shoulder.  Which I'm fine with.  Builds character.

Basically, I live in the hornet's nest, refuse to wear UW stuff, and proudly wear my MU gear... And I've never had a bad experience.  I've had people make comments, but in the age of phones it is easy to disprove the people who make things up.  When they bring up the 'UW grades' BS, I remind them that Ron Dayne could barely read, and that UW has had near the top most NCAA infractions of any school in the NCAA.  And that they'd have gladly taken any of the players that chose another school, and defended them all the same.

I had a totally different experience but perhaps you didn't have extensive conversations with people around the UW campus.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #164 on: March 26, 2022, 12:04:05 PM »
I had a totally different experience but perhaps you didn't have extensive conversations with people around the UW campus.

You're much more emotional than I am.  Probably something to do with it.  As I've mentioned, I live here, and talk to UW fans every single day.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #165 on: March 26, 2022, 12:08:47 PM »

Look anyone who thinks they will find honest reporting in places like Madison or South Bend, etc. has their head in the sand. UW is the engine (fueled by tax dollars) that runs Madison. Why bite the hand that feeds you? I don't care about UW-Madison any more than I care about Mississippi State or Indiana State, but if I lived there I would kiss the university's ass regardless if I owned a bar, insurance company or worked for the media. Even as a die hard MU fan, I'd become a Badger fan in a second to make money.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #166 on: March 26, 2022, 04:41:28 PM »

I worked for a small business (about 200 employees) which was head quartered in Waltham, Mass; a Boston suburb. One time for a training session ( casual dress ) I walked in with all my Yankee gear. If looks could kill I would be dead.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #167 on: March 26, 2022, 04:46:19 PM »
You're much more emotional than I am.  Probably something to do with it.  As I've mentioned, I live here, and talk to UW fans every single day.

I can be emotional but I believe my MU gear triggered a lot of them. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #168 on: March 26, 2022, 05:36:24 PM »
I can be emotional but I believe my MU gear triggered a lot of them.

I guess that is a possibility.  I wore an MU mask for the entire pandemic, and have around the same number of MU shirts etc as you do.

I never get bothered.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #169 on: March 26, 2022, 05:44:48 PM »
I guess that is a possibility.  I wore an MU mask for the entire pandemic, and have around the same number of MU shirts etc as you do.

I never get bothered.

I may instigate stuff....I'll admit I can be confrontational if something bothers me.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #170 on: March 26, 2022, 07:06:12 PM »
I may instigate stuff....I'll admit I can be confrontational if something bothers me.
a shot of jack, maybe view a DWade highlight reel or Christie Brinkley SI archive. A cure-all for anything bothering you.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #171 on: March 26, 2022, 08:42:49 PM »

Plus, you have Jack Reacher with you.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #172 on: March 27, 2022, 10:11:57 AM »
If you have a Twitter account you would be well aware that Wisconsin scumbags tweet just as much if not more vitriol about MU than we do them.

Any attempt to convince otherwise is just one more reason to never trust that anyone from that fan base

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #173 on: March 27, 2022, 10:13:00 AM »
If you have a Twitter account you would be well aware that Wisconsin scumbags tweet just as much if not more vitriol about MU than we do them.

Any attempt to convince otherwise is just one more reason to never trust that anyone from that fan base

I don't disagree.  And as I mentioned earlier, there are many more of them than there are of us.

Boone

• All American
« Reply #174 on: March 27, 2022, 10:38:35 AM »
I'm with Norm. Son attends Madison. Next year our daughter, a high school senior, will join him there. Fortunately, neither like/care about UW hoops, but even if they did they know that me rooting for that program will always be a bridge too far.   

feedback