[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Justin  (Read 187542 times)

panda

• All American
Re: Justin
« Reply #1375 on: June 21, 2022, 08:06:57 PM »
Before y'all rip on fellow Scoopers, perhaps NBA scouts, independent of consultation with the intelligentsia of this website, have formed their own analysis of #10 and how it translates to the Association. If Justin isn't lazy, then possibly he's simply stupid. Taking plays off literally has cost him hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions, aina?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LQCU36pkH7c

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1376 on: June 21, 2022, 08:47:10 PM »
Before y'all rip on fellow Scoopers, perhaps NBA scouts, independent of consultation with the intelligentsia of this website, have formed their own analysis of #10 and how it translates to the Association. If Justin isn't lazy, then possibly he's simply stupid. Taking plays off literally has cost him hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions, aina?

::) LOL

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #1377 on: June 21, 2022, 08:50:05 PM »
NBA drafts on potential, so no.
4ever won't compute, will stay on a nest loop...
Goal is National Championship

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1378 on: June 21, 2022, 08:50:13 PM »
100% correct. This scout's take, and Vecenie's analysis in The Athletic are fair criticisms.

I do also think that sitting out the combine scrimmages was a bad move on his part. He had a chance to flip the narrative a bit and didn't take it.

That said, I hope he goes as high as possible and sticks in the league.

Agree on all accounts - I’ll also be rooting for him on draft night and going forward.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1379 on: June 21, 2022, 08:52:24 PM »
You see the future now?  Dumb

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1380 on: June 21, 2022, 11:50:14 PM »

Another who thinks Shaka is "simply stupid" for giving 32 mpg to a lazy and/or stupid player.

Beyond that, you couldn't be talkin' out your ass more on this subject if your rectum had teeth.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUHoopsFan2

• All American
« Reply #1381 on: June 22, 2022, 12:07:08 AM »
the other side of the equation is, and don't get me wrong, i very much enjoyed his play for us, BUT he might be one of those dudes built more for the college game than the pros.  there have been many great college ball'ers who fit that mold.

justin always seemed to be moving at a different speed.  sometimes one can get away with that via "smarts" and/or against college level talent, not pro.  to compare him to jae is being very very kind
NO.... Jae is a very fair comparison. A TWEENER. No position and can work hard in the right situation. Jae is dead spot on.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1382 on: June 22, 2022, 06:23:51 AM »
NO.... Jae is a very fair comparison. A TWEENER. No position and can work hard in the right situation. Jae is dead spot on.

The only reason that comparison is made is they both went to Marquette. If Jae was 6'7" with a 7'1" wingspan he'd be a perennial starter with All-Star appearances under his belt. He's a tweener because he has a power forward's game and shooting guard's frame.

Justin has appropriate size to be a 3/4 wing & models his game like that. He's just a bit slow of foot for the next level, whereas Jae's ability to defend multiple positions was never in question. I really don't see them as similar beyond wearing blue and gold in college.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #1383 on: June 22, 2022, 06:48:42 AM »
Isn’t it possible that Justin, even not going full out, was still our best option to be on the floor? I don’t know that anyone would call him a high motor player. He definitely had times where I thought he was checked out a little bit.

It seems NBA guys have seen that too. Still a very good player and I’m going to miss him, but not out of line to wonder if the effort was always there.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1384 on: June 22, 2022, 07:03:06 AM »
The only reason that comparison is made is they both went to Marquette. If Jae was 6'7" with a 7'1" wingspan he'd be a perennial starter with All-Star appearances under his belt. He's a tweener because he has a power forward's game and shooting guard's frame.

Justin has appropriate size to be a 3/4 wing & models his game like that. He's just a bit slow of foot for the next level, whereas Jae's ability to defend multiple positions was never in question. I really don't see them as similar beyond wearing blue and gold in college.

Yeah I wouldn’t label Justin a “tweener” at all. The most consistent positive scouting reports mention is his frame.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #1385 on: June 22, 2022, 07:04:26 AM »
Isn’t it possible that Justin, even not going full out, was still our best option to be on the floor? I don’t know that anyone would call him a high motor player. He definitely had times where I thought he was checked out a little bit.

It seems NBA guys have seen that too. Still a very good player and I’m going to miss him, but not out of line to wonder if the effort was always there.

I don’t disagree. That doesn’t equate to “lazy” however.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1386 on: June 22, 2022, 07:17:41 AM »
If Justin had played with Sam Hauser instead of guys more concerned with going to woke protests, he’d have learned how to work hard and never quit on your team. 
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

panda

• All American
« Reply #1388 on: June 22, 2022, 07:50:42 AM »
Crowder made the nba in spite of his frame/size/athleticism. He was/is a crazy hard worker, effort guy.

Lewis has an pro ready body and skill set which is why he was on nba radars pre season last year.

Aside from the Marquette similarity, they are two totally different prospects and players.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1389 on: June 22, 2022, 07:59:34 AM »
Good luck to Justin.    Thank you for your contribution to MU basketball.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1390 on: June 22, 2022, 10:31:16 AM »
Why does everyone keep hammering the fact that they think Justin is lazy?

He's just not quick on his feet. He just turned 20 and is in all likelihood still growing into his body. Effort has never been an issue with him.
VIOLENCE!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #1391 on: June 22, 2022, 10:38:10 AM »
Why does everyone keep hammering the fact that they think Justin is lazy?

He's just not quick on his feet. He just turned 20 and is in all likelihood still growing into his body. Effort has never been an issue with him.

It was brought up last year a number of times last year, and the scouts apparently see it.  The quote from the Athletic piece:

"He doesn’t run that hard, he’s not a true professional in that sense, ... There were games this year where he kind of gave up and disappeared.”

So they kind of think effort has been an issue.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1392 on: June 22, 2022, 10:53:18 AM »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1393 on: June 22, 2022, 12:32:33 PM »
It was brought up last year a number of times last year, and the scouts apparently see it.  The quote from the Athletic piece:

"He doesn’t run that hard, he’s not a true professional in that sense, ... There were games this year where he kind of gave up and disappeared.”

So they kind of think effort has been an issue.

😂

Gave up? Ok.
VIOLENCE!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #1394 on: June 22, 2022, 12:41:06 PM »
😂

Gave up? Ok.

You may have a different opinion, but it would not be a consensus by any stretch.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1395 on: June 22, 2022, 12:47:40 PM »

You may have a different opinion, but it would not be a consensus by any stretch.
I's like to know the games people thought Justin gave up and disappeared.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1396 on: June 22, 2022, 12:50:55 PM »
😂

Gave up? Ok.

He was great in the winning streak, but definitely had some games where he struggled after that, including high exposure games like the back-to-back weekend games against Creighton and Butler, the Big East Tourney loss, and the NCAA loss. Yes, I'm absolutely cherry-picking, but I'm cherry picking what were likely our four most-watched games late in the season when Justin had a 33.0 eFG% and was a miserable 3/23 from long range.

He had some great stretches and came up big late in some games, but also had some games where he was very forgettable and wasn't a positive difference maker late. And that's okay, he's a young player trying to grow into an NBA role, but he's far from an ideal prospect and there are definitely knocks on his game.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1397 on: June 22, 2022, 12:56:31 PM »
He was great in the winning streak, but definitely had some games where he struggled after that, including high exposure games like the back-to-back weekend games against Creighton and Butler, the Big East Tourney loss, and the NCAA loss. Yes, I'm absolutely cherry-picking, but I'm cherry picking what were likely our four most-watched games late in the season when Justin had a 33.0 eFG% and was a miserable 3/23 from long range.

He had some great stretches and came up big late in some games, but also had some games where he was very forgettable and wasn't a positive difference maker late. And that's okay, he's a young player trying to grow into an NBA role, but he's far from an ideal prospect and there are definitely knocks on his game.
Not coming up big (shooting poorly) is different than giving up.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1398 on: June 22, 2022, 01:00:21 PM »
I think it’s more his personality than anything. It did appear he coasted at points during the season and appeared disinterested, but compare the bad moments with the good moments - nova game winning shot - and he was very stoic after.

Watching him for two seasons, he isn’t a lazy player, but is still learning how to be assertive on the offensive end. You can find knocks on him, but laziness is definitely not one of them.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1399 on: June 22, 2022, 01:00:49 PM »

I agree that there were games he was bad. There always will be games like that, especially with a 19/20 year old. But to say he gave up is just a slap in the face IMO.

In those 4 games:

129 minutes (32.25 avg.)
23-59 from the field
61 points
31 rebounds

Bad yes. Gave up. No chance.
VIOLENCE!

feedback