* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by burger
[Today at 01:15:21 AM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 01, 2024, 08:28:39 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by HutchwasClutch
[June 01, 2024, 07:03:02 PM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Go Here by tower912
[May 31, 2024, 11:41:21 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Herman Cain
[May 30, 2024, 06:21:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 271-200  (Read 3292 times)

mileskishnish72

• All American
271-200
« on: March 17, 2022, 05:51:00 PM »
Those are the cumulative scores of our last 3 NCAA Tournament appearances. Losses by 20. 19, and 32. It's hard to understand how teams who made the tournament can be so overmatched and perform  so badly.

Johnny B

• All American
Re: 271-200
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 05:53:53 PM »
cursed

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 05:58:40 PM »
As I posted in another thread the NCAA committee needs to go back to looking at the last 10 games. Our last two tournament appearances were with teams that were in the tank.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2022, 07:05:15 PM »
It'd be unusual to get to a 2nd round, unusual to be competitive, unusual to not collapse at the end of the season.

Every year ends with "what the hell happened?"

The real kicker is .. this is MU's brand now. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2022, 07:07:00 PM »
As I posted in another thread the NCAA committee needs to go back to looking at the last 10 games. Our last two tournament appearances were with teams that were in the tank.

I don't agree with this.  Just because you are blown out, that doesn't mean you didn't belong.  The beginning of the season is just as important as the end.  Marquette undoubtedly belonged.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2022, 07:10:05 PM »
It'd be unusual to get to a 2nd round, unusual to be competitive, unusual to not collapse at the end of the season.

Every year ends with "what the hell happened?"

The real kicker is .. this is MU's brand now.

What’s this second round you speak of? Not familiar with it.

MUEng92

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2022, 07:13:54 PM »
All I could think to do was to text my older brothers and tell them how my life would be more enjoyable if they hadn’t made me like sports when I was a kid

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2022, 07:16:01 PM »

I don't agree with this.  Just because you are blown out, that doesn't mean you didn't belong.  The beginning of the season is just as important as the end.  Marquette undoubtedly belonged.
I have some serious doubts we belonged in any of those tourneys.

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2022, 07:19:08 PM »
I have some serious doubts we belonged in any of those tourneys.

The metrics the NCAA uses showed that MU belonged.  There wasn't a doubt. 

But "last ten" doesn't make sense to me.  Game one should be just as important as game 30.  It is in every other sport.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2022, 07:29:35 PM »

But "last ten" doesn't make sense to me.  Game one should be just as important as game 30.  It is in every other sport.

So in your opinion the win against SIU Edwardsville was just as important as the blowout loss to UNC today? That's a perspective for sure. A completely ridiculous perspective, but a perspective nonetheless.

MU86NC

• Starter
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2022, 07:32:21 PM »

Unfortunately in College Basketball it is not…

• All American
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2022, 07:42:37 PM »
So in your opinion the win against SIU Edwardsville was just as important as the blowout loss to UNC today? That's a perspective for sure. A completely ridiculous perspective, but a perspective nonetheless.

<sigh>

No.  Please pay attention to what I am responding to.  To determine whether or not a team gets into the NCAA tournament, the record in the "last ten" should bear no extra weight like it used to.  How they performed using the metrics involved should be no different at any point during the season.

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2022, 07:43:21 PM »
Unfortunately in College Basketball it is not…

Again, please pay attention to what I am responding to.  I am talking about how teams are selected to the tournament.

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2022, 07:46:28 PM »
I think they should go back to last 10

If they did … MU prob in play in game, and NC a 5 or 6 seed. 

How a team plays at the END of the year means WAY more than the early season.

Just ask Matt LaFluer

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2022, 07:48:23 PM »
I think they should go back to last 10

If they did … MU prob in play in game, and NC a 5 or 6 seed. 

How a team plays at the END of the year means WAY more than the early season.

Just ask Matt LaFluer

Sure.  Ask him.  Game #17 has no more weight than Game #1 when it comes to the NFL playoffs.  So that is consistent with my point.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2022, 07:48:29 PM »
<sigh>

No.  Please pay attention to what I am responding to.  To determine whether or not a team gets into the NCAA tournament, the record in the "last ten" should bear no extra weight like it used to.  How they performed using the metrics involved should be no different at any point during the season.
That's a valid argument on selection Sunday. But, we just got blown out in embarassing fashion. We've been blown out in every NCAA tourney game we've played in over the last decade. Any at large teams who get waxed in the tournament clearly don't belong despite what your precious metrics say.

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2022, 07:50:11 PM »
That's a valid argument on selection Sunday. But, we just got blown out in embarassing fashion. We've been blown out in every NCAA tourney game we've played in over the last decade. Any at large teams who get waxed in the tournament clearly don't belong despite what your precious metrics say.

Of course they belonged in the tournament and seeded about where they were.  Stating otherwise is silly.

And I would say that about any time that was "waxed."  A bad game doesn't invalidate the process.

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2022, 07:57:43 PM »

Of course they belonged in the tournament and seeded about where they were.  Stating otherwise is silly.

And I would say that about any time that was "waxed."  A bad game doesn't invalidate the process.
Ignore the results if it makes you feel better. Just block it out and pretend it didn't happen. If someone besides Gonzaga wins it all you can try to convince everyone that Gonzaga was ackshully the best team because they had some solid wins in November. People will look at you like you're a little slow, but you've got the metrics on your side.

• All American
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2022, 08:06:13 PM »
Ignore the results if it makes you feel better. Just block it out and pretend it didn't happen. If someone besides Gonzaga wins it all you can try to convince everyone that Gonzaga was ackshully the best team because they had some solid wins in November. People will look at you like you're a little slow, but you've got the metrics on your side.

In 2018, Virginia was 31-3.  They were the ACC regular season and tournament champion.  By the end of the season, they were the #1 team in the country.  They were the #1 seed and lost by 20 to the #16 seed UMBC.  Are you saying they didn't deserve to be a #1 seed because of the results of that one game?  Because if you carry your statement to the extreme, that's pretty much what you are saying.

I know you are all about the insults right now because you are acting on emotion instead of logic, but try to hold it together OK?

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2022, 08:11:32 PM »

In 2018, Virginia was 31-3.  They were the ACC regular season and tournament champion.  By the end of the season, they were the #1 team in the country.  They were the #1 seed and lost by 20 to the #16 seed UMBC.  Are you saying they didn't deserve to be a #1 seed because of the results of that one game?  Because if you carry your statement to the extreme, that's pretty much what you are saying.

I know you are all about the insults right now because you are acting on emotion instead of logic, but try to hold it together OK?
Absolutely they proved they shouldn't be a 1 seed. Wtf are you talking about? They got blown out by UMBC. The selection committee makes their best guess on who the best teams are and then the games are played and show who is the best. You can go ahead and believe MU is better than all the double digit seeds, but I just watched an absolutely embarassing performance and don't think we can beat any of them.

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2022, 08:19:59 PM »
Absolutely they proved they shouldn't be a 1 seed. Wtf are you talking about? They got blown out by UMBC. The selection committee makes their best guess on who the best teams are and then the games are played and show who is the best. You can go ahead and believe MU is better than all the double digit seeds, but I just watched an absolutely embarassing performance and don't think we can beat any of them.

If you don't think a #1 ranked, ACC regular season and ACC tournament champion team that finished 31-3 didn't deserve a #1 seed because of the results of one game, that is a completely ridiculous position. 

You realize this is sports right?  And that in sports, upsets happen. 

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2022, 08:27:42 PM »

If you don't think a #1 ranked, ACC regular season and ACC tournament champion team that finished 31-3 didn't deserve a #1 seed because of the results of one game, that is a completely ridiculous position. 

You realize this is sports right?  And that in sports, upsets happen.
Alright, live in your world where tourney results don't matter. Talk to some UVA fans about how great that year was and I'm sure they won't look at you like you're crazy. Sports is about results. Especially results in the playoffs. At the end of the day no one cares about the regular season. Good luck trying to convince people that UVA was the best team that year and that Marquette was a top 35 team this year. Hope it goes well for you.

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2022, 08:28:05 PM »

Is that you Buzz?

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2022, 08:29:32 PM »

Wrong.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

• All American
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2022, 08:31:59 PM »
Alright, live in your world where tourney results don't matter. Talk to some UVA fans about how great that year was and I'm sure they won't look at you like you're crazy. Sports is about results. Especially results in the playoffs. At the end of the day no one cares about the regular season. Good luck trying to convince people that UVA was the best team that year and that Marquette was a top 35 team this year. Hope it goes well for you.

Oh my lord.

I didn't say tourney results don't matter.  I am not even talking about how a fan base determines if its season is a success.  I am only talking about how teams are selected and seeded for the tournament.  You have failed to follow the topic, got all emotional when I pointed that out to you, yet you still don't seem to understand that. 

feedback