[Today at 08:18:48 AM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2022 Transfer Portal Thread  (Read 219462 times)

GoldenEagles03

• All American
Re: 2022 Transfer Portal Thread
« Reply #1475 on: May 03, 2022, 11:36:59 AM »
Kaluma : 2023 :: Justin : 2022

They'll be good. I just think their ceiling may be capped. Time will tell!

Weren't they in the 60 range of KenPom? and lost their best performer from 2022 in Hawkins along with their best shot maker in O'Connell.
VIOLENCE!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1476 on: May 03, 2022, 11:50:40 AM »
They'll be good. I just think their ceiling may be capped. Time will tell!

Weren't they in the 60 range of KenPom? and lost their best performer from 2022 in Hawkins along with their best shot maker in O'Connell.

O'Connell made a big shot against us, I wouldn't call him their best shot maker. Hawkins was probably their best player, but Scheierman is effectively a Hawkins clone that did it at a higher level coming in to Creighton.

I'm usually the first to dismiss Creighton. I thought the top-5 rankings they were being handed in April 2020 were ridiculous, even more so once Ty-Shon Alexander left. But this team returns everyone they really need and have ideal replacements for the guys they lost. The big question was shooting, but Scheierman and Walton are exactly what they need, and McDermott's staff has done great developing shooters in the past. This is exactly the kind of team you look for when you are trying to identify breakouts. Solid defense, return most of their minutes, key freshmen becoming sophomores, and fill all the gaps with incoming players.

Not only that, but last year was by far the worst ranked offense McDermott ever had at Creighton. That will most likely rebound in a big way with all the young guys getting another year in the system. They're going to be a load to deal with.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1477 on: May 03, 2022, 11:57:38 AM »
Busting Brackets lists Marquette as a possible destination for Patrick Baldwin Jr. should Justin Lewis keep his name in the draft.

I'm lost on how Patrick Baldwin Jr. could be ranked higher than Justin in mocks, but he is.

I get that the NBA drafts on potential, but Lewis is far more explosive and athletic with a larger wingspan. Justin also shot 35% from 3 and was the best player in the Big East while PBJ struggled at 26% scoring 12 ppg in the Horizon league and has a lengthy injury history.

All the numbers and measurements say Justin is the better player and if we had the choice right now I'd take Justin without even thinking twice both for Marquette and the NBA.

*Below is the write up on Marquette being a fit for PBJ should he stay in school and Justin leave*

Marquette Golden Eagles

One of the two state of Wisconsin programs on the list, the Eagles could very well lose star wing and leading scorer Justin Lewis, who is currently in the NBA Draft process. If he’s gone, Baldwin could simply replace him in the lineup and take over his usage on offense and be the next star in the Big East.

Head coach Shaka Smart has a hefty list of players sent to the NBA from his days at Texas and his defensive scheme would help boost his overall game and make him more ready for the next level. Plus, it’s a chance to stay close by and remain under the radar, if that’s something the forward would prefer instead of playing on a giant national stage.

VIOLENCE!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1478 on: May 03, 2022, 12:01:09 PM »
If I were the Bucks, I would take Baldwin over Lewis in a nanosecond.  I think Justin at best becomes a rotation player who is ultimately replaceable.  Baldwin's upside is higher.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1479 on: May 03, 2022, 12:01:17 PM »
My intuition says Marquette wouldn't have any interest in Baldwin. It was pretty clear after Smart was hired that Baldwin's camp was heavily trying to float the idea of PBS coming on as an assistant and bringing PBJ with him, but it never gained any traction inside the Al. Might that change if Justin stays in and they don't land Abogidi or Ramey? Possibly, but I'd say it's an unlikely scenario just being pushed by someone who sees that Marquette is in Milwaukee.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1480 on: May 03, 2022, 12:03:39 PM »
Busting Brackets lists Marquette as a possible destination for Patrick Baldwin Jr. should Justin Lewis keep his name in the draft.

I'm lost on how Patrick Baldwin Jr. could be ranked higher than Justin in mocks, but he is.

I get that the NBA drafts on potential, but Lewis is far more explosive and athletic with a larger wingspan. Justin also shot 35% from 3 and was the best player in the Big East while PBJ struggled at 26% scoring 12 ppg in the Horizon league and has a lengthy injury history.

All the numbers and measurements say Justin is the better player and if we had the choice right now I'd take Justin without even thinking twice both for Marquette and the NBA.

*Below is the write up on Marquette being a fit for PBJ should he stay in school and Justin leave*

Marquette Golden Eagles

One of the two state of Wisconsin programs on the list, the Eagles could very well lose star wing and leading scorer Justin Lewis, who is currently in the NBA Draft process. If he’s gone, Baldwin could simply replace him in the lineup and take over his usage on offense and be the next star in the Big East.

Head coach Shaka Smart has a hefty list of players sent to the NBA from his days at Texas and his defensive scheme would help boost his overall game and make him more ready for the next level. Plus, it’s a chance to stay close by and remain under the radar, if that’s something the forward would prefer instead of playing on a giant national stage.

He’ll land at a big time program if he doesn’t stay in the draft.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1481 on: May 03, 2022, 12:07:05 PM »
My intuition says Marquette wouldn't have any interest in Baldwin. It was pretty clear after Smart was hired that Baldwin's camp was heavily trying to float the idea of PBS coming on as an assistant and bringing PBJ with him, but it never gained any traction inside the Al. Might that change if Justin stays in and they don't land Abogidi or Ramey? Possibly, but I'd say it's an unlikely scenario just being pushed by someone who sees that Marquette is in Milwaukee.

I agree.

I really am just blown away by the remaining hype surrounding PBJ.

To me, Lewis is head and shoulders ahead of him in almost every category. PBJ is younger, but when we are talking a 19 year old vs. a 20 year old I don't think it matters at all.

To see Lewis in the 50 range while PBJ is still lingering around the lottery is crazy to me.
VIOLENCE!

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1482 on: May 03, 2022, 12:12:44 PM »
If I were the Bucks, I would take Baldwin over Lewis in a nanosecond.  I think Justin at best becomes a rotation player who is ultimately replaceable.  Baldwin's upside is higher.

I guess it all depends on the situation surrounding each team which is fair.  PBJ has a pretty lengthy injury history and Justin has already shown the ability to make massive strides in 1 year. Not to mention he performed significantly better against significantly higher competition.

For Lewis to be projected 30ish spots lower than PBJ is what really throws me off.
VIOLENCE!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1483 on: May 03, 2022, 12:14:57 PM »
I agree.

I really am just blown away by the remaining hype surrounding PBJ.

To me, Lewis is head and shoulders ahead of him in almost every category. PBJ is younger, but when we are talking a 19 year old vs. a 20 year old I don't think it matters at all.

To see Lewis in the 50 range while PBJ is still lingering around the lottery is crazy to me.

Given the choice, I'd take PBJ ahead of Lewis. That could end up backfiring, but if you look at both players at age 18, there is zero question that PBJ was far, far ahead.  He then looked fine through the first few games of the season, but playing sparsely while getting triple-teamed whenever he touched the ball in conference play, the kid never really had a chance. And frankly, he simply had poor coaching this year; PBS was already well on his way to being fired after four straight losing seasons and only got the extra year because he was bringing in his five-star son to a place that never dreams of that type of recruit.

Scouts will have to decide what they believe, the 4-5 years they were watching Baldwin from middle school to high school or the one year where he played sporadically, was triple-teamed when he did, and had some of the worst coaching in all of Division I? I think some team in the 20s is going to get a steal.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1484 on: May 03, 2022, 12:17:11 PM »

Baldwin is taller, quicker, a better shooter, and a better ballhandler than Justin is.

Justin has more length and is more physical, better around the rim.

Both have issues with their motors being inconsistent.

I wouldn't put too much stock into what happened at UWM, with the injuries and lack of talent around him.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1485 on: May 03, 2022, 12:17:17 PM »
Given the choice, I'd take PBJ ahead of Lewis. That could end up backfiring, but if you look at both players at age 18, there is zero question that PBJ was far, far ahead.  He then looked fine through the first few games of the season, but playing sparsely while getting triple-teamed whenever he touched the ball in conference play, the kid never really had a chance. And frankly, he simply had poor coaching this year; PBS was already well on his way to being fired after four straight losing seasons and only got the extra year because he was bringing in his five-star son to a place that never dreams of that type of recruit.

Scouts will have to decide what they believe, the 4-5 years they were watching Baldwin from middle school to high school or the one year where he played sporadically, was triple-teamed when he did, and had some of the worst coaching in all of Division I? I think some team in the 20s is going to get a steal.

He's in a unique spot for sure. Could just go pro or head back to school and make a nice chunk in NIL while playing his way right back into the lottery if he plays how he was expected to from the jump.
VIOLENCE!

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1486 on: May 03, 2022, 12:23:45 PM »
Baldwin is taller, quicker, a better shooter, and a better ballhandler than Justin is.

Justin has more length and is more physical, better around the rim.

Both have issues with their motors being inconsistent.

I wouldn't put too much stock into what happened at UWM, with the injuries and lack of talent around him.

Motors being inconsistent? I can't think of a single time watching Marquette this year where I said "I wish Justin was trying harder".

I don't think his "motor" being a problem is even a remote concern. Where did that come from?
VIOLENCE!

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1487 on: May 03, 2022, 12:50:40 PM »

Marquette Golden Eagles

One of the two state of Wisconsin programs on the list, the Eagles could very well lose star wing and leading scorer Justin Lewis, who is currently in the NBA Draft process. If he’s gone, Baldwin could simply replace him in the lineup and take over his usage on offense and be the next star in the Big East.

PBJ, if he had health this past season would be a lotto.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #1488 on: May 03, 2022, 12:57:48 PM »
Health is the big issue with PBJ as he missed all or almost all of his senior HS season due to ankle(?) injury that continued to bother him at UW-M.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1489 on: May 03, 2022, 12:58:35 PM »

Quite possibly.

But he didn't, and he hasn't for 3 years. A 19 year old with consistent injuries in 3 straight seasons has to be a concern for an NBA team, maybe not so much for a College looking to add him.
VIOLENCE!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1490 on: May 03, 2022, 12:59:18 PM »
Motors being inconsistent? I can't think of a single time watching Marquette this year where I said "I wish Justin was trying harder".

Then you weren't watching terribly closely.

I'm not saying he's lazy or anything like that. But at several points you could tell his defensive effort was tied to how well he was playing offensively. And that's pretty common for young players. He'll have to get past that at the next level, as he certainly won't be the focal point of a pro offense.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1491 on: May 03, 2022, 01:01:07 PM »

I'm not saying he's lazy or anything like that. But at several points you could tell his defensive effort was tied to how well he was playing offensively. And that's pretty common for young players. He'll have to get past that at the next level, as he certainly won't be the focal point of a pro offense.

No it wasn't. His effort was always there. He's just got a ways to go on the defensive end.

If he was as good defensively as he is offensively he'd be a top 25 pick.
VIOLENCE!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1492 on: May 03, 2022, 01:01:48 PM »

It's common for all players, including pros.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #1493 on: May 03, 2022, 01:02:58 PM »
It's common for all players, including pros.

Except Justin, apparently.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #1494 on: May 03, 2022, 01:10:24 PM »
Sounds to me that the best case scenario for all parties involved is for BOTH Justin Lewis and Patrick Baldwin Junya to matriculate at Marquette for the upcoming season.

They play interchangeably at the 3/4 and both play their way into the lottery, while coach Smart and MU waltz to the Elite8.

Don’t worry about finding room… 🤪

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1495 on: May 03, 2022, 01:15:50 PM »
Except Justin, apparently.

Every player can give 100% and still NOT perform to their capabilities.

Never once was Justin's effort a concern. Is it possible that he was fatigued and slow to the punch in spots? Definitely. But the effort or motor was never a concern.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 01:32:52 PM by GoldenEagles03 »
VIOLENCE!

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1496 on: May 03, 2022, 01:26:06 PM »
Sounds to me that the best case scenario for all parties involved is for BOTH Justin Lewis and Patrick Baldwin Junya to matriculate at Marquette for the upcoming season.

They play interchangeably at the 3/4 and both play their way into the lottery, while coach Smart and MU waltz to the Elite8.

Sure...Pat Baldwin can walk on. Let his dad pay the tuition...it's the least he owes his son after Junior got him one more year of $350k salary at Milwaukee.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1497 on: May 03, 2022, 02:12:36 PM »

I'm 100% on board with this Badger ass kicking scenario

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1498 on: May 03, 2022, 02:29:14 PM »
Meanwhile the rodents are adding some transfers. The spelling error is Potrykus' and uncorrected on jsonline.

Wisconsin basketball lands Max Klesmit, a guard from Neenah transferring from Wofford. He joins guard Kamari McGee, a graduate of Racine St. Cathernine's, who is transferring to UW after playing one season at UW-Green Bay.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2022, 02:31:07 PM by Spotcheck Billy »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1499 on: May 03, 2022, 02:48:00 PM »
Meanwhile the rodents are adding some transfers. The spelling error is Potrykus' and uncorrected on jsonline.

Wisconsin basketball lands Max Klesmit, a guard from Neenah transferring from Wofford. He joins guard Kamari McGee, a graduate of Racine St. Cathernine's, who is transferring to UW after playing one season at UW-Green Bay.

I’m surprised their credits transferred
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.