[Today at 03:17:33 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by mugrad_89
[Today at 12:29:11 PM]

Kolek throwing out first pitch at White Sox game by MU82
[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2022 Transfer Portal Thread  (Read 219656 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: 2022 Transfer Portal Thread
« Reply #350 on: March 29, 2022, 01:11:55 PM »
He's actually more like a Jae than a Markus.  He was a JUCO/D2 type transfer up to D1 similar to Jae with something to prove.

Also don't make it seem like Markus is some schlub. He was awesome.  Just not better than Jae in my opinion.

He only won 6 games all of last year, that’s not a lot of winning. You know who we should bring back is Theo. Look at all the winning he’s doing this year, 30+ wins and in the final four. If we’re going to focus on building a winning team we need guys like that not guys that only win 6 games a year.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #351 on: March 29, 2022, 01:15:41 PM »
He only won 6 games all of last year, that’s not a lot of winning. You know who we should bring back is Theo. Look at all the winning he’s doing this year, 30+ wins and in the final four. If we’re going to focus on building a winning team we need guys like that not guys that only win 6 games a year.

I see what you are doing, but if you think a team of Markus and Theos are going to take on a team of Jae's and Jimmy's then idk what to tell you.

Markus was good, easy kid to root for.  I'll leave it at that.
VIOLENCE!

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #352 on: March 29, 2022, 01:18:26 PM »
So do we want Kario or not? Because all I see is a kid that doesn’t win basketball games.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #353 on: March 29, 2022, 01:22:30 PM »
So do we want Kario or not? Because all I see is a kid that doesn’t win basketball games.

If Shaka still wants him a second time after not winning, then I would.

If Shaka doesn't want him, then no.
VIOLENCE!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #354 on: March 29, 2022, 01:30:46 PM »

Personal opinion, no. If you look at what we're losing and what we have coming in, we don't need another guard. They reached out to Cam Hayes, that one surprised me, but other than that it's pretty much all stretch forwards that can rebound and space-eating big men. I think we'll see a 4 and 5 added, scholarships allowing.

(And apologies if I'm not supposed to take this question seriously because non-serious people are trying to engage it)
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

panda

• All American
« Reply #355 on: March 29, 2022, 01:36:51 PM »
Just to clarify because some recent posters have a difficulty or inability to understand nuance.

I prefer Jae over Markus because he is a more complete player on both ends of the floor. If I’m starting a team, of MU players from that post 2000 time frame, Jae is my first non DWade selection.

Markus is still on my Mount Rushmore because of the personal achievements he accomplished.  It’s hard to pick Markus over Jae because at Markus’ best, he was only a serviceable defender and can struggle guarding players bigger/taller than him. Jae could guard anyone and did it all on the offensive end. He’s a more valuable player to start a team with IMO. Both are great.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #356 on: March 29, 2022, 01:37:44 PM »
https://theathletic.com/3211734/2022/03/29/ranking-the-best-available-mens-college-basketball-transfers-and-high-school-recruits-for-2022-23?source=user-shared-article

After reading this, my offseason priority list (with no basis in reality--I get Traore isn't likely coming here, but I can dream):

1. Yohan Traore, C/PF. "It’s tough to come up with a better frame for a collegiate big, as Traore is about 6-foot-10 with a near 7-foot-3 wingspan. He also knows how to use that frame exceedingly well, as he carves out space with ease and rebounds the heck out of the ball, plus has soft hands to catch and finish around the basket. One evaluator who has seen Traore extensively put it very simply and very smartly: He’s the epitome of a Bill Self-style Kansas big. He’s extremely comfortable within 10 feet of the rim and aggressively looks to finish everything when he gets clean opportunities. I don’t quite know that he’s a one-and-done-type until he develops his perimeter game and we see more about where he is defensively, but he’s going to be productive throughout his collegiate career."

2. Brandon Murray, G All SEC Frosh team. Strong perimeter defender. Shoots 35% from 3. He’s a clear high-major wing, and potential NBA player down the road.

3. Trevon Brazile, F. He averaged seven points and five rebounds last year while stepping away occasionally as a 4 man who can shoot from 3, and his 1.9 blocks per game were third in the SEC last season. He profiles extremely well as a shot-blocking floor-spacer at the forward position. Guy that Shaka can point to Darryl and Justin and say that he can get him to the next level. Most realistic guy to get?

4. Jalen Bridges 6-foot-7 combo forward who could step out and shoot it, get out in transition, and switch a bit defensively. Concerns that his efficiency numbers in increased minutes show ceiling. Probably not gonna create a ton of shots, but decent spot up shooter, good defender, and can really drive transition offense.

Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

panda

• All American
« Reply #357 on: March 29, 2022, 01:38:48 PM »
Personal opinion, no. If you look at what we're losing and what we have coming in, we don't need another guard. They reached out to Cam Hayes, that one surprised me, but other than that it's pretty much all stretch forwards that can rebound and space-eating big men. I think we'll see a 4 and 5 added, scholarships allowing.

(And apologies if I'm not supposed to take this question seriously because non-serious people are trying to engage it)

Kario was a gunner on a bad team. He could be dangerous if he could slow down his game down a bit.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #358 on: March 29, 2022, 01:40:22 PM »
Just to clarify because some recent posters have a difficulty or inability to understand nuance.

I prefer Jae over Markus because he is a more complete player on both ends of the floor. If I’m starting a team, of MU players from that post 2000 time frame, Jae is my first non DWade selection.

Markus is still on my Mount Rushmore because of the personal achievements he accomplished.  It’s hard to pick Markus over Jae because at Markus’ best, he was only a serviceable defender and can struggle guarding players bigger/taller than him. Jae could guard anyone and did it all on the offensive end. He’s a more valuable player to start a team with IMO. Both are great.

Yup!
VIOLENCE!

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #359 on: March 29, 2022, 01:41:12 PM »

Sir, this is the transfer portal thread, I think you meant to post this in the Mt. Rushmore thread. We discuss transfers here.

panda

• All American
« Reply #360 on: March 29, 2022, 01:52:41 PM »
Sir, this is the transfer portal thread, I think you meant to post this in the Mt. Rushmore thread. We discuss transfers here.

“Sir” you subtweeted me in this thread saying that winning trumps all in player evaluation which carried over from my comments in the mount Rushmore thread so forgive me.

Report me to the message board police. I’m sure it’ll make you feel big and strong.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #361 on: March 29, 2022, 01:56:23 PM »
“Sir” you subtweeted me in this thread saying that winning trumps all in player evaluation which carried over from my comments in the mount Rushmore thread so forgive me.

Report me to the message board police. I’m sure it’ll make you feel big and strong.

I’m actually not on twitter, or most social media platforms, and all my posts on this thread have been about potential transfer targets and comparing them to former MU players. One thing I have not done is compare former MU players with each other with no mention of a potential transfer target, I think that’s where my confusion about what thread you meant to post in stems from.

panda

• All American
« Reply #362 on: March 29, 2022, 01:59:50 PM »
But he didn’t win games. Seems more like a Markus rather than a Jae so we should stay away.

Lol - seems like a pot shot directly relating to the conversation from the Mount Rushmore thread….

But you’re just here with pure intentions to talk transfers.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #363 on: March 29, 2022, 02:02:08 PM »

at least he called you ‘sir’. He could have assumed gender neutral was preferred…as is the case on WI Badger mb’s.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #364 on: March 29, 2022, 02:02:44 PM »
Lol - seems like a pot shot directly relating to the conversation from the Mount Rushmore thread….

But you’re just here with pure intentions to talk transfers.

The “he” in that post was a reference to Kario, a potential transfer target.

Im glad we’re in agreement that this thread should be focused on potential transfers, not former players.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #365 on: March 29, 2022, 02:06:15 PM »
Kario was a gunner on a bad team. He could be dangerous if he could slow down his game down a bit.

Sure, entirely possible. But we are bringing back Tyler, Kam, Stevie, and Ellis while adding Sean Jones and Chase Ross. We currently only have one open scholarship, two if Justin goes pro. Unless Todd can get Kario to add 7 inches and 30 pounds, I don't see the fit. We need interior strength, not questionable efficiency scoring.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

panda

• All American
« Reply #366 on: March 29, 2022, 02:11:21 PM »
The “he” in that post was a reference to Kario, a potential transfer target.

Im glad we’re in agreement that this thread should be focused on potential transfers, not former players.

So the Markus/Jae comment had nothing to do with any other dialogue whatsoever going on in any other threads? 

JTJ3

• Team Captain
« Reply #367 on: March 29, 2022, 02:12:51 PM »
Manny Bates sure fits the profile of a Shaka center

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #368 on: March 29, 2022, 02:13:54 PM »
So the Markus/Jae comment had nothing to do with any other dialogue whatsoever going on in any other threads?

Of course not. All I want to do in the transfer thread is discuss what winning players we can bring in. I see no reason why we’d want someone that didn’t win, because that’s all that matters when evaluating individual players right? Whether or not the team that they play on won.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #369 on: March 29, 2022, 02:22:22 PM »
This is a fun discussion!

panda

• All American
« Reply #370 on: March 29, 2022, 02:27:10 PM »
Of course not. All I want to do in the transfer thread is discuss what winning players we can bring in. I see no reason why we’d want someone that didn’t win, because that’s all that matters when evaluating individual players right? Whether or not the team that they play on won.

Lol you’re such a pric*

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #371 on: March 29, 2022, 02:33:03 PM »
Lol you’re such a pric*

I will wear that like a badge of honor.

Is there any more info out there about Bates’ injury? For a big guy I’m glad it wasn’t a knee or back, but if he is limited offensively would the upside he presents on the defensive end be enough to offset it?

MarquetteMike1977

• All American
« Reply #372 on: March 29, 2022, 03:32:34 PM »
David Skogman could be a solid backup 5 for us.  Pretty mobile, Shaka seems to prefer that. Announced he's transferring from Buffalo.
Also Agree. Like Grant Basile my Son also played against David Skogman. Again not spectacular but solid player. My Son also played against UNC’s Caleb Love in AAU ball. He is Spectacular but not in portal haha.
Not sure if there is any interest in David Skogman but he did a couple unofficials with UW previous to committing to Buffalo. Or like was mentioned the Waukesha West player was recruited by Oates and may draw interest from Bama.
Skogman’s Stats 8 points 6.3 Rebs 58.7% FG 38% 3FG 26 starts for a 19-11 Buffalo Team.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2022, 03:34:17 PM by MarquetteMike1977 »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #373 on: March 29, 2022, 03:50:39 PM »
Hopefully we can do better than role players at mid major schools.  We have enough role players.  We need some dudes.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #374 on: March 29, 2022, 04:07:53 PM »
Sure, entirely possible. But we are bringing back Tyler, Kam, Stevie, and Ellis while adding Sean Jones and Chase Ross. We currently only have one open scholarship, two if Justin goes pro. Unless Todd can get Kario to add 7 inches and 30 pounds, I don't see the fit. We need interior strength, not questionable efficiency scoring.

The only way I would take another guard is if a guard is leaving, and right now do not see it.

feedback