[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Coaching Carousel  (Read 105577 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #375 on: March 22, 2022, 11:22:14 AM »
If this were true, Georgetown would already have their new coach.

I think they haven't fired him because of the extension they gave him last year more than anything.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #376 on: March 22, 2022, 11:38:44 AM »
Reading this thread also makes it obvious to me that the NCAA tourney is a boon for mid-major coaches that put in a respectable showing. 

Separately, I'm confounded by the number of "alumi" hires lately.  It's one thing to hire an alum that has gone on to become a good coach, quite another to gamble on one just because he's an alum.

The more I've seen, the less I want us to go that route. Chris Mullen and Patrick Ewing show how ugly those breakups can be. I'm sure it will be great for Seton Hall if Shaheen Holloway works out, but what if he doesn't? He'll be a lot harder to fire than a non-alum. Memphis looked like a roiling clusterf**k before Penny turned things around this year. I get that there are warm and fuzzies from winning the initial press conference with a beloved alumni, but it seems like unless it goes spectacularly well, it's probably all downhill from there.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #377 on: March 22, 2022, 11:41:33 AM »
The more I've seen, the less I want us to go that route. Chris Mullen and Patrick Ewing show how ugly those breakups can be. I'm sure it will be great for Seton Hall if Shaheen Holloway works out, but what if he doesn't? He'll be a lot harder to fire than a non-alum. Memphis looked like a roiling clusterf**k before Penny turned things around this year. I get that there are warm and fuzzies from winning the initial press conference with a beloved alumni, but it seems like unless it goes spectacularly well, it's probably all downhill from there.
Just my opinion, but its different when you hire the GOAT at your school versus an good to average player. It's not like Seton Hall is trying to hire Myles Powell.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #378 on: March 22, 2022, 11:52:29 AM »
Just my opinion, but its different when you hire the GOAT at your school versus an good to average player. It's not like Seton Hall is trying to hire Myles Powell.

He might not be Terry Dehere (vastly superior to Powell in every way), but Holloway was the McDonald's All-American Game MVP that picked Seton Hall over Duke. A four-year starter that averaged 13.7 ppg/5.9 apg while leading them to their last Sweet 16. Holloway might not be the GOAT, but he's probably one of the ten best to ever play at SHU and without question the best former Pirate in the coaching game.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #379 on: March 22, 2022, 12:02:47 PM »
He might not be Terry Dehere (vastly superior to Powell in every way), but Holloway was the McDonald's All-American Game MVP that picked Seton Hall over Duke. A four-year starter that averaged 13.7 ppg/5.9 apg while leading them to their last Sweet 16. Holloway might not be the GOAT, but he's probably one of the ten best to ever play at SHU and without question the best former Pirate in the coaching game.
Stats like Wardle. I would have no problem if we had hired Wardle and he sucked like Ewing.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #380 on: March 22, 2022, 12:12:17 PM »
Stats like Wardle. I would have no problem if we had hired Wardle and he sucked like Ewing.

As players, I think Holloway is viewed vastly different from how we perceive Wardle. The S16 has a lot to do with that. I think if you're looking for a Marquette comparison in terms of how the fanbase regards Holloway, Doc Rivers is a better comparison. Beloved by the fanbase and while not necessarily the greatest ever, someone that is on the relative short-list.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #381 on: March 22, 2022, 12:30:53 PM »
As players, I think Holloway is viewed vastly different from how we perceive Wardle. The S16 has a lot to do with that. I think if you're looking for a Marquette comparison in terms of how the fanbase regards Holloway, Doc Rivers is a better comparison. Beloved by the fanbase and while not necessarily the greatest ever, someone that is on the relative short-list.

I think Holloway has paid his dues where hiring him isn’t a look to the past like maybe Mullin and Ewing were.  8 years on the bench as an assistant and 3 year’s cutting his teeth at a tough gig. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

• All American
« Reply #382 on: March 22, 2022, 12:33:56 PM »
I think Holloway has paid his dues where hiring him isn’t a look to the past like maybe Mullin and Ewing were.  8 years on the bench as an assistant and 3 year’s cutting his teeth at a tough gig. 

Ewing was an NBA assistant for 15 years so I don't think that was merely "a look to the past."

But Mullin was a not-very-good executive for the Warriors and Kings with no bench experience before coming to SJU.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #383 on: March 22, 2022, 12:36:22 PM »

Sure. I'm not saying he won't be fine or won't succeed. I'm just saying that it's harder to part ways with him if it doesn't go well, or if he's only sort-of successful. The more alumni hires I see, the less attractive I think they are.

IL Warrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #384 on: March 22, 2022, 12:41:49 PM »
Sure. I'm not saying he won't be fine or won't succeed. I'm just saying that it's harder to part ways with him if it doesn't go well, or if he's only sort-of successful. The more alumni hires I see, the less attractive I think they are.
This is the key. If Wojo was a Marquette alum, I guarantee he would still be our coach. Firing an alum who is an abject failure as a head coach isn't too bad. Dismissing a slight underperformer is a lot harder when your administration and fanbase love him from his playing days.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #385 on: March 22, 2022, 02:07:40 PM »

Maybe.  I know Holloway is a big deal at Seton Hall but it still isn’t the level of Ewing or Mullin. 

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #386 on: March 22, 2022, 03:28:27 PM »
Maybe.  I know Holloway is a big deal at Seton Hall but it still isn’t the level of Ewing or Mullin.
Correct...pro's and con's to everything...but you're also more likely to keep a successful coach if they are an alum. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #387 on: March 22, 2022, 08:48:43 PM »
Correct...pro's and con's to everything...but you're also more likely to keep a successful coach if they are an alum.
If Wade became a coach at MU ( Wade has said he doesn't want to coach at any level) it would be hard to fire him.
Goal is National Championship

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #388 on: March 22, 2022, 08:54:57 PM »
If Wade became a coach at MU ( Wade has said he doesn't want to coach at any level) it would be hard to fire him.

Will?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #389 on: March 22, 2022, 08:57:48 PM »
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #390 on: March 23, 2022, 08:12:35 AM »

Agreed. Holloway isn't quite on that level (Terry Dehere is still the GOAT at SHU) but he's akin to a Doc Rivers or Travis Diener type. Despite the lack of tourney success, Doc has a bit of an icon status here due to the success he's had after Marquette while Diener is still tied to success and his presence close to the program has had him continually beloved.

Holloway attained that both with the Sweet 16 run and by being a long-time assistant at SHU, coming in with Willard and helping recruit the 2014 class and coach the 2016 Big East Tourney winners. I get the attempts to connect him to Wardle, but Wardle doesn't resonate the same way with Marquette fans that Diener does or the way Holloway does at SHU.

If he wins, it isn't an issue, but if he's continually in the 6-8 range in the league he's the type that it would be harder to get rid of than if they hired someone like Darian DeVries or Paul Mills.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #391 on: March 23, 2022, 08:32:08 AM »
With McMahon to LSU, the SEC has gone decidedly mid-major except the White hire.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #392 on: March 23, 2022, 08:36:15 AM »
With McMahon to LSU, the SEC has gone decidedly mid-major except the White hire.

Any Wojo rumors yet....

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #393 on: March 23, 2022, 08:37:32 AM »
Agreed. Holloway isn't quite on that level (Terry Dehere is still the GOAT at SHU) but he's akin to a Doc Rivers or Travis Diener type. Despite the lack of tourney success, Doc has a bit of an icon status here due to the success he's had after Marquette while Diener is still tied to success and his presence close to the program has had him continually beloved.

Holloway attained that both with the Sweet 16 run and by being a long-time assistant at SHU, coming in with Willard and helping recruit the 2014 class and coach the 2016 Big East Tourney winners. I get the attempts to connect him to Wardle, but Wardle doesn't resonate the same way with Marquette fans that Diener does or the way Holloway does at SHU.

If he wins, it isn't an issue, but if he's continually in the 6-8 range in the league he's the type that it would be harder to get rid of than if they hired someone like Darian DeVries or Paul Mills.

Eh.  I think it’s a good hire and they were not firing Willard even though he had topped out as an 6 to 8-seed type coach

• All American
« Reply #394 on: March 23, 2022, 08:38:31 AM »

I'm really surprised they didn't go for a sitting P6 coach.  Unless they inquired about a few and struck out.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #395 on: March 23, 2022, 08:40:07 AM »
From the rumors I've heard, McMahon is not all that different than Will Wade.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #396 on: March 23, 2022, 08:41:51 AM »
From the rumors I've heard, McMahon is not all that different than Will Wade.

NONE of these schools care about cheating.  They care about getting caught and not winning enough.  Or potentially sanctions that don't allow them to cheat.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #397 on: March 23, 2022, 08:42:30 AM »
I'm really surprised they didn't go for a sitting P6 coach.  Unless they inquired about a few and struck out.

Are you talking about the SEC in general or LSU specifically? I get the sense that LSU was getting a pass from many of the bigger names because there's so much uncertainty around the pending postseason ban.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #398 on: March 23, 2022, 08:47:19 AM »
Any Wojo rumors yet....

More of a wojo job, UMass or New Mexico State?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #399 on: March 23, 2022, 08:47:25 AM »
Eh.  I think it’s a good hire and they were not firing Willard even though he had topped out as an 6 to 8-seed type coach

I'm not saying it isn't, but we won't know until we see what Holloway does. And I'm not talking 6-8 seed, I'm talking 6-8 in the league. The guy who's constantly on the bubble, always good enough to give a little hope but never good enough to give a lot of hope. Those are the guys that are tough to get rid of when there are emotional ties. Like I've said repeatedly, including in the post you quoted, if he wins it isn't an issue. But if he's in that gray area, it's harder with a beloved alum than it is with someone who doesn't have deep emotional ties to the fans and administration.

feedback