[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Justin Lewis -- 1st-round draft pick?  (Read 27278 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: Justin Lewis -- 1st-round draft pick?
« Reply #150 on: February 28, 2022, 08:07:45 AM »
Yes, you beat me to it. Today's G League is nothing like its precursor, the developmental league. Every NBA team has assigned a full coaching and development staff to its G League team, and the players get a significant amount of 1-on-1 attention.

For example, the Hornets' affiliate in Greensboro (where DJ Carton plays) has a head coach, 3 assistants (including former NBA player Donyell Marshall), a director of player development, a strength and conditioning coach, a player development coach, a trainer, and three "basketball operations" people.

So DJ gets to work a lot on his game, and it shows. After struggling for his first couple months, here are his stats for February: 13.3 ppg on 48% shooting, 4.8 rebs, 4.4 asst, 1.4 stl. Will he ever be an NBA player? Maybe or maybe not - he isn't shooting well enough from 3, for one thing - but he'll be able to make money playing basketball for a decade if that's what he wants.

And you're right about 2-way contracts, too. Those have been game-changers for lots of young players since they came into existence a few years ago. For instance, Both Markus and Sam have benefited tremendously from them.

For some players at some schools, NIL money might be an attractive alternative to the G League or Europe. We'll see about that as time goes on. I don't think Lewis makes enough NIL money for it to influence him at all.

D.J. clearly didn't want to stay in college another year. Neither did Vander. Neither did Bailey. Neither do lots and lots of guys who "aren't ready" for the NBA. It's great that they have a viable option.

Staying an extra season didn't help Markus at all from a basketball perspective -- he was basically the same player he was as a junior, there actually were some MU "fans" who blamed him for the team not winning bigger, Covid ended up wiping out any shot at an NCAAT win, and he simply went another year without making $$$. Hopefully, his experience as a student and member of the Marquette community made him glad he stayed.

As for Justin ... not a single person here knows what he's thinking. Maybe he loves-loves-loves his college/Marquette experience so much that he'll only leave if he gets strong info that he'll be a first-round draft pick. Or maybe he's enjoying this season but really doesn't see himself staying for a third year of college.

What I want for Justin is to do what his heart, gut, head and wallet tell him is best for him. And I hope he's surrounded himself with advisers who place his interests first.

Otherwise, none of us should pretend to know what's "best" for him.

What’s best for him is me watching Marquette win games with him on the roster next year.  If he gets a degree, he might have a radio show like a lot of Badger players
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #151 on: February 28, 2022, 08:38:04 AM »
The degree argument always cracks me up. Next to everybody who plays at a high major ends up working in Basketball in some capacity. They don't need a degree for that. The handful that don't that I've seen go into real estate (Lazar Hayward, separate class), or sales (Jake Thomas, no degree required but preferred). Outside of Matt Heldt, is there anybody who's using their degree from MU since we joined the Big East?

If someone's dream is to play pro basketball, and when they're done they'll be a coach in some capacity whether AAU, High school, college, minor league, or NBA then they don't need a degree they need networking abilities which you get by moving on not staying at MU.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #152 on: February 28, 2022, 08:46:33 AM »
The degree argument always cracks me up. Next to everybody who plays at a high major ends up working in Basketball in some capacity. They don't need a degree for that. The handful that don't that I've seen go into real estate (Lazar Hayward, separate class), or sales (Jake Thomas, no degree required but preferred). Outside of Matt Heldt, is there anybody who's using their degree from MU since we joined the Big East?

If someone's dream is to play pro basketball, and when they're done they'll be a coach in some capacity whether AAU, High school, college, minor league, or NBA then they don't need a degree they need networking abilities which you get by moving on not staying at MU.
Some college coaching jobs require a degree
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #153 on: February 28, 2022, 10:29:09 AM »
Some college coaching jobs require a degree

And most high school coaches are teachers, which requires a degree.  And if you aren't a teacher, being a coach isn't a full-time job.

You want to know which players are using their MU degree?  Everyone who isn't playing professionally.
Have some patience, FFS.

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #154 on: February 28, 2022, 10:29:30 AM »
Anyone who thinks Justin will be playing at MU next year is kidding themselves. He will either be on an NBA bench, in the G-league (most likely) or in Europe, but he is not going to be in Milwaukee.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #155 on: February 28, 2022, 11:07:22 AM »
I think he gowne.

To me, the only way he comes back for another year is if he's convinced that he won't be drafted in the first round AND he believes that another year with Shaka and the MU staff will result in another giant leap in his improvement that's similar to the one he made between his 1st and 2nd seasons.

If he doesn't believe both of those two things are certain (or highly likely), he gowne.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #156 on: February 28, 2022, 11:33:36 AM »
What’s best for him is me watching Marquette win games with him on the roster next year.

Yes, this creates a lot of subjective thought on behalf of many Scoopers. "How might Lewis (or any other player) leaving affect me and my enjoyment of MU hoops? Doesn't he realize he's there for me?"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #157 on: February 28, 2022, 12:58:54 PM »
NBA caliber guys want to avoid playing overseas at all costs.  The G-League is brutal. As I've already said, you are on your own there for the most part. NBA teams can't draft to replace you if you're not developing.  College coaches especially now here at Marquette are concerned solely on your development and that is huge for a guy like Justin who was underutilized as a Freshman and is now finding his way.

Getting drafted in the 1st round guarantees you more money and gives you a much better shot at sticking in the league because you get opportunities. Sticking in the league is better than getting drafted and fading away in the G League like so many talented guys do.

I want Justin to get drafted in the 1st round because that's what's best for his career.  I think staying 1 more year at Marquette gets him drafted in the 1st round.  At the end of the day I want him to succeed as an NBA player.  Leaving early doesn't guarantee that.
Why underutilized as a Freshman? He averaged 21 minutes a game and it would have been more if he didn't see limited minutes for 2-3 games after his injury.
Goal is National Championship

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #158 on: February 28, 2022, 01:16:38 PM »
And most high school coaches are teachers, which requires a degree.  And if you aren't a teacher, being a coach isn't a full-time job.

You want to know which players are using their MU degree?  Everyone who isn't playing professionally.

Absolutely not, HS jobs are coached by people affiliated with the school but not necessarily teachers, maybe in less populated areas teachers are the only ones available but that's not the case around everywhere. My HS's old coach was a security guard for example (no degree required). That still doesn't answer the AAU angle, currently Acker Jerel James and Chapman are all doing AAU work, how does that require a college degree? As I said Lazar is not playing pro and he's a real estate agent, no degree required. Thomas is in sales, no degree required for most those entry level jobs and is only preferred.
Maigh Eo for Sam

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #159 on: February 28, 2022, 01:22:33 PM »
What’s best for him is me watching Marquette win games with him on the roster next year.  If he gets a degree, he might have a radio show like a lot of Badger players
Justin better be taking into account the wants and needs of us MU fans.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #160 on: February 28, 2022, 01:32:51 PM »

I agree with this analysis
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Viper

• All American
« Reply #161 on: February 28, 2022, 02:11:34 PM »
Justin, forget the nba. Please me, ok? Stay at Marquette another season because I want Marquette to be top 10 next year. I want Marquette to win the BE. I want Marquette to kick Wisconsin’s ass. Thx., Viper.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #162 on: February 28, 2022, 02:20:07 PM »
Why underutilized as a Freshman? He averaged 21 minutes a game and it would have been more if he didn't see limited minutes for 2-3 games after his injury.

For starters he should've been starting over Garcia.
VIOLENCE!

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #163 on: February 28, 2022, 04:20:16 PM »

Agree. Wish 82 would quit trying to push Lewis out the door. Let him enjoy college and get a degree.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #164 on: February 28, 2022, 04:33:07 PM »
Agree. Wish 82 would quit trying to push Lewis out the door. Let him enjoy college and get a degree.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #165 on: March 01, 2022, 10:04:52 AM »
For starters he should've been starting over Garcia.
LOL starting no matta
Goal is National Championship

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #166 on: March 01, 2022, 10:06:46 AM »
I’m worried he could get injured. I think Justin should sit out the rest of the season and focus on the NBA
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #167 on: March 01, 2022, 10:46:58 AM »

Exactly. I bought my first gun just for the occasion. Nice to exercise my 2nd Amendment rights AND force Justin out the door at the same time.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #168 on: March 01, 2022, 11:02:54 AM »
Geez Louise, does this end?

Justin is a good ballplayer who we're lucky to have with us. He's improved dramatically this year from last and certainly is a candidate to be all Big East and maybe Big East POY.

ENJOY IT!!!!!

I'm sure after the year's over, Justin and Coach Shaka will sit down and have a long talk about Justin's future. I suspect Justin also will be speaking with people who know the NBA well. Being a Marquette student, he'll exercise the good judgment he learned from his Marquette education and make a decision that's right for him and his well-being. I suspect Coach Shaka has his trust and Justin will confide in and rely on Coach Shaka.

Let's hope Justin does what's best for him and be thankful we've had him this year. If he comes back, we'll be great next year. If he doesn't, I'll be looking forward to Justin kicking a$s in the NBA.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #169 on: March 01, 2022, 11:29:23 AM »
My attitude is that it would be great to have Justin back, but I'm mentally prepared for him to leave.

Find a replacement in the transfer portal, if necessary.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #170 on: March 02, 2022, 09:47:20 AM »
Latest Bleacher Report has Justin going at #40....  FYI   Patrick Baldwin at #24... Johnny Davis @7  8-)

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #171 on: March 02, 2022, 01:07:57 PM »
Baldwin didn't do stink all season except sell tickets for UWM. Probably shoulda turned pro outta high school, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #172 on: March 02, 2022, 03:07:25 PM »
Baldwin didn't do stink all season except sell tickets for UWM. Probably shoulda turned pro outta high school, hey?

If you can sell tickets for UWM you probably deserve to be named President of the Packers or CEO of Manchester United.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

1SE

• All American
« Reply #173 on: March 03, 2022, 07:27:02 AM »
It's really too bad - had this team finished T3 Lewis would have been the runaway  BEPOY.
Real Warriors Demand Excellence

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #174 on: March 03, 2022, 08:46:03 AM »

Get a degree? Lol.  Justin is a pro.  Wish we had a couple more of them.  0% chance he stays 2 more years. 

He's good enough to win us a couple games in the tourney if Kolek and Morsell show up. Hopefully he gives us a nice going away present.  Dude's a baller.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.