Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] What does the potential NCAA settlement mean for MU? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[May 22, 2024, 09:36:22 PM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 22, 2024, 07:26:16 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by rocky_warrior
[May 22, 2024, 06:25:06 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by BCHoopster
[May 22, 2024, 06:19:00 PM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by tower912
[May 22, 2024, 01:36:06 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Unexpected Wr-Hinkle  (Read 10213 times)

tower912

• All American
Unexpected Wr-Hinkle
« on: February 12, 2022, 05:37:30 PM »
1.  I fully expected MU to make a game of this.   They have been down before and almost always at least made it close. 
2.   Butler clearly had a great scout for MU and executed it beautifully.   Every coach looks like a genius when their team makes it rain from 3.   And a whole bunch of their offensive rebounds were the product of getting just enough of a hand on the miss to tip it out to the perimeter.
3.   Speaking of scout, time to make some adjustments.    Conference opponents are taking away the pick and roll with Kolek.   They are sending lots of players to the offensive boards.    They are prepared for the press.    Staying up on 3 pt shooters/helping less.     
4.  Participating in the game chat is unhealthy.
5.   MU got back in to the game by playing defense, going to the offensive boards, attacking the paint.   
6.  Good to see Kolek hit some 3's.
7.  Butler almost took the air out of the ball too soon.  Enough clutch shooting down the stretch to overcome a poor coaching choice.   
8.   This team never quit.       
9.   Hey, point, I think you might owe Silver an apology.    Guy has only been watching MU hoops since the 60's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4F4qzPbcFiA
10.   I am going back to my CONE.  (cult of no expectations)       Only thing to do is learn and get better
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Unexpected Wr-Hinkle
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2022, 05:41:10 PM »
Outside of Butler shooting unconscious this game was lost in the early run.

We let it snowball. Rushing shots trying to make up 20 pts in 1 trip which is impossible.

I knew once we got to half that Shaka would be able to settle them down a bit to make a run by being efficient and getting to the paint. Was just too little too late.

Took the 15 minute break to sink in
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 05:41:22 PM »
Disappointing. 

Probably will impact seeding.

Still not worried about about a late season collapse.  Could also be a nice  wake-up call.

I was expecting 4-2 down the stretch.  Now need win out at home and win at DePaul or Creighton.

Maintain perspective.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2022, 05:41:59 PM »
11. I think Butler just hit another three from Greencastle.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2022, 05:42:12 PM »
Too big of a hole early. Butler made clutch shots down the stretch to match ours.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2022, 05:43:40 PM »
Disappointing. 

Probably will impact seeding.

Still not worried about about a late season collapse.  Could also be a nice  wake-up call.

I was expecting 4-2 down the stretch.  Now need win out at home and win at DePaul or Creighton.

Maintain perspective.

Yup. Losing this just add the pressure.

But 4-2 was always my expectation.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2022, 05:43:57 PM »
bad loss. butler is garbage bad.. rest of games are crucial. need to win to avoid tanking seeding

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2022, 05:46:24 PM »
Probably loses our single digit seed

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2022, 05:47:28 PM »

So this loss drops us from a 4-6 seed to a 10?  Interesting. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2022, 05:47:47 PM »

You really have no idea how bracketology works.

You don't go from a 5/6 seed to a 10 seed on 1 road loss

Norm

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2022, 05:48:01 PM »
MU is in a rut. Have not played well on D in a while. We need more than one starter to play well from the start. Too many games 3-4 starters do nothing in the first half. Maybe losing their ranked status will help regain focus.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 05:50:03 PM by Norm »

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2022, 05:49:20 PM »
Gotta learn to play as the favored. Team needs to stop reading headlines. Cling to the underdog mentality.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2022, 05:50:39 PM »
The absence of energy first half was dreadful. Nice line by Kur.

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2022, 05:54:06 PM »
Purposefully scheduled a family outing during this game knowing marq would win. And they didnt?? This is not good. I smell the classic wojo end of season collapse again. Ugh.

Boston Warrior

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2022, 05:55:35 PM »
A road loss isn’t the end of the world..
Dropped 3 spots in kenpom
Gather and finish strong!
Marquette will learn from this game, lots of success in front of this team this year.

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2022, 05:56:01 PM »
The absence of energy first half was dreadful. Nice line by Kur.

Speaking of dreadful, that second half rebound off the missed FT keeps playing over and over in my head.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2022, 05:56:33 PM »
I know it’s just one loss but this years version of butler is a top 10 bad reformed big east team. This is a really really bad loss.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2022, 05:57:03 PM »
Purposefully scheduled a family outing during this game knowing marq would win. And they didnt?? This is not good. I smell the classic wojo end of season collapse again. Ugh.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2022, 05:57:36 PM »
Probably should have been titled “Pump the Brakes”

Talk of top 16 seed, Coach of Year, etc.  That’s three out of four, with a great Nova win squeezed in there.  This loss stings more than the Creighton at home loss. That’s two they should of had. Still have Creighton away and the usual DePaul debacle at their place.

Run the table and all that talk can come back, but Shaka has his work cut out for him.  The rebounding issue is a major concern and Butler only had Nze and Golden as big bodies. It was destruction galore.  Shaka needs to get a guy like Nunge next year in the portal to make up the defiances. God help them if Lewis leaves. 

Need to run the table and get the momentum back, this teams really needs it. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2022, 05:59:13 PM »
Probably should have been titled “Pump the Brakes”

Talk of top 16 seed, Coach of Year, etc.  That’s three out of four, with a great Nova win squeezed in there.  This loss stings more than the Creighton at home loss. That’s two they should of had. Still have Creighton away and the usual DePaul debacle at their place.

Run the table and all that talk can come back, but Shaka has his work cut out for him.  The rebounding issue is a major concern and Butler only had Nze and Golden as big bodies. It was destruction galore.  Shaka needs to get a guy like Nunge next year in the portal to make up the defiances. God help them if Lewis leaves. 

Need to run the table and get the momentum back, this teams really needs it.

1) "God help them if Lewis leaves".   ::)

2) Need to run the table.   ::)

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2022, 06:01:50 PM »
There are some real clowns coming out of the woodwork tonight.

They lost a game they weren't supposed to for the first time this year. It happens. If they go to the wire against Georgetown I'll be concerned. But they've done more than enough this year to earn the benefit of the doubt from our "fans."

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2022, 06:03:04 PM »
There are some real clowns coming out of the woodwork tonight.

They lost a game they weren't supposed to for the first time this year. It happens. If they go to the wire against Georgetown I'll be concerned. But they've done more than enough this year to earn the benefit of the doubt from our "fans."

Reason and common sense have no place here.  Stop it. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2022, 06:04:59 PM »
This isn't new.  Every single loss is the end of the world. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2022, 06:08:34 PM »
I really didn’t like Oso in the game at the end. They kept attacking him on the PNR, or by requiring him to help, and he just doesn’t move that fast. I kinda think they should have gone small there and spread the floor on offense a little. I know Shaka is concerned with rebounds but…

On defense we are over helping and over rotating. Teams have picked that up and are making the extra pass. Which is why random dudes are going off. 

Just threw in a tray of enchiladas. Green sauce. That will get me through the rest of the evening.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

bradforster

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2022, 06:08:56 PM »
You simply can’t come out as flat footed as this team has the last two games and expect a second half run to be enough.  The first half performances against UConn and Butler are cause for concern.  Why is the team so devoid of energy in the initial minutes of a game?  Shaka said in his post game radio interview the guys practiced harder than they played at times today.  I think that’s a bit of a problem!  You can’t take any game for granted, especially away from home.

feedback