Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: A statistical case for more Greg  (Read 2621 times)

tower912

• All American
A statistical case for more Greg
« on: February 09, 2022, 02:59:55 PM »
https://twitter.com/evanmiya/status/1491479934744813579?s=21

This guy does a deep dive on why MU should play Greg more.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BM1090

• All American
Re: A statistical case for more Greg
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2022, 03:13:30 PM »
Posted this on another board. The numbers are hard to argue with, but my gut says it doesn't tell the full story.

I love Greg. Greg has been great and deserves a few more minutes, but IMO that analysis is a bit misleading. It seems that Greg's minutes vary a lot depending on if he's playing well. His on/off splits are really good, but that's partially because he's really only on the court when he's playing well and off when he's not.

Or maybe my gut is wrong and I'm way off. Maybe the spacing helps other guys even when he's missing shots.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2022, 03:24:31 PM »
I would not mind seeing that optimal statistical lineup of KK ,JL, DM, TK, and GE, depending on the size of the opponents. I think Morsell can guard many a small forward. The numbers look good, it would be interesting to see if it played out in real time.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2022, 03:25:26 PM »
The eye test  says he is hit or miss.   However, his defense isn't a disaster, he is very vocal out there, and the defense can't cheat off him.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2022, 03:29:38 PM »
Posted this on another board. The numbers are hard to argue with, but my gut says it doesn't tell the full story.

I love Greg. Greg has been great and deserves a few more minutes, but IMO that analysis is a bit misleading. It seems that Greg's minutes vary a lot depending on if he's playing well. His on/off splits are really good, but that's partially because he's really only on the court when he's playing well and off when he's not.

Or maybe my gut is wrong and I'm way off. Maybe the spacing helps other guys even when he's missing shots.

In the three games prior to last night, he played a total of 49 (15,14,20) minutes and went 0/8. 

So I kinda think you are right. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2022, 03:33:26 PM »
Greg is awesome and a big reason why this team is a real threat. The 3 point shooting has become really good. Marquette is #1 in Big East play from 3 I do believe.

I think part in why he is so good is because of how he is used.  I dont think he's a guy that can be pushed too much game after game.

Maybe extend his minutes if he is hot, but he's not necessarily built to be the workhorse I think only Darryl and Justin are built to be.

VIOLENCE!

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2022, 03:34:37 PM »
So, unleash greg?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2022, 03:45:01 PM »
I think Shaka's done a nice job allocating minutes to pretty much everybody, and maybe especially Greg.

Greg is one of the best 3-point shooters in the nation. So, in general, when he is on (and/or when his teammates are off), Greg gets more minutes; when he is off (or when others are hitting) he gets fewer minutes.

For example, he was lighting it up early in our winning streak and averaged 21 mpg. But then he had a 3-game stretch where he only was able to take three 3s - total - because all of a sudden opponents were paying attention to him. Shaka runs very few plays to get him open, so that meant 2, 0 and 1 attempts in those games, and he only averaged 15 mpg.

Greg is not an elite defender but he has long arms, gets deflections and is pretty good on staying in front of his man. He is skinny and can be overpowered by some players if he gets caught in a switch, but he'll battle. He's also experienced and has become one of the team's leaders. And even when he's not hitting, he helps space the court so Lewis, O-Max and Morsell can do their work in the lane.

He's a role player. The role he is especially good at is one that's in high demand. I thought he'd only get about 12-15 mpg, but Shaka seems to like and trust him, and there have been many games where he's gotten well over 20. In conference play, Greg's averaging 19 mpg.

I have no quibbles with any of the above.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2022, 04:08:41 PM »
Not surpising that the GE, TK, DM, JL, KK lineup is our most successful. That is definitely the one I want to see in crunch time of most games.

If Kam or Omax are feeling it game by game they obviously deserve to be in the mix.

I think Shaka has a pretty good read on Greg and when to have him play 24 minutes compared to 15.

When we go on droughts though and struggle from the outside. Greg is someone we should insert to try and get things rolling. Whether its daggers himself or floor spacing.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

mug644

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2022, 05:34:30 PM »
I agree with the gist of several comments above, that Greg is evidence of Shaka’s astute management of playing time, especially within a game. I felt like Greg played a bit too much last night, but given Kolek’s struggles, it made some sense. And the game and atmosphere was intense enough that tapping into GE’s experience made sense compared to going with Kam, Stevie or Joplin.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2022, 08:26:07 AM »
Greg seems to come in when Marquette is stagnant or in deep do-do.
It seems like more than once this season I was thinking.  "Dang, Greg is having a hell of a game, it's a shame MU isn't going to win this one."
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 08:40:23 AM by NCMUFan »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2022, 08:57:54 AM »
Something to that.   It seems to me that when things are going well he is willing to be A guy and go. with the flow.   When MU is spinning their wheels, he comes and tries to be THE guy.   

panda

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2022, 09:03:10 AM »
Greg is a guy whose metrics always look good on a computer. Not a knock on Greg but the length of Omax allows MU to press and pressure in the half court more. Greg has shown no ill effects from lingering injuries but I think his minutes are appropriate. Various lineups allow MU to give different looks defensively.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2022, 09:07:29 AM »
Omax definitely has his important place on the team.
Having some additional athletic big bodies on the floor definitely has benefits.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2022, 10:21:01 AM »
Shaka has experimented some with putting both Greg and Kam on the floor, usually when he's giving Kolek a breather (or a benching, as in the UConn game). I don't like it for long stretches but for short ones it does make the opponent have to make a choice: bring defenders away from the basket, or yield open 3s to our two best shooters.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2022, 06:10:44 PM »
Perhaps it is time to start him for some early energy.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2022, 06:27:36 PM »
This data is slightly skewed based on how he is handled. This is weighted by competition. Greg was suspended for the easiest teams we played.

Also he is a hot hand player and he continues to play when he's playing well. So having good games vs Uconn, Nova, and UCLA, slightly skews the stats.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2022, 07:03:35 PM »
Perhaps it is time to start him for some early energy.

Doesn't need to start but definitely a quick entrance if the first few possessions look weak.

Greg was the first guy along with Justin to really realize that attacking the Butler D was a huge edge. He didnt even hit 3s today.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2022, 07:06:58 PM »
Doesn't need to start but definitely a quick entrance if the first few possessions look weak.

Greg was the first guy along with Justin to really realize that attacking the Butler D was a huge edge. He didnt even hit 3s today.

I don’t know why we don’t attack the basket more with Lewis, Morsell, and Elliott has been good at it lately - drawing fouls.  Atack the rim and it opens 3s too.   But it seems like 3/4s of the game is gone before we realize this.  Regularly. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2022, 07:09:46 PM »
I don’t know why we don’t attack the basket more with Lewis, Morsell, and Elliott has been good at it lately - drawing fouls.  Atack the rim and it opens 3s too.   But it seems like 3/4s of the game is gone before we realize this.  Regularly.

Daryl aside from the Nova 4 possession take over has been pretty poor for a while now. Hes settling way too much and sloppy with the ball.

And its frustrating because we are not talking about a player that is incapable of attacking and bullying his way in the paint. Hes very capable at it. And usually really good. Just isnt doing it enough right now.

feedback