Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Got Us a Real Coach  (Read 18529 times)

NCMUFan

• All American
Re: Got Us a Real Coach
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2022, 07:55:24 PM »
MUBB having a successful season has enabled some superb scooping in this thread.
Absolutely!

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2022, 07:58:26 PM »
When you accept a gift exclusively for one race and refuse the gift exclusively for the another race how can it not be racist. I'm sure state schools that do that would be in violation of civil rights laws. MU as a private school can do what it likes and I hope they would not refuse such a gift as some here already have said the pie only gets bigger and more people benefit.
Why are you getting yourself all tied up in knots about this?  It’s really odd.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2022, 08:04:59 PM »
It's amazing and generous.  However, I believe the Smart's believe in "investing" in every community in which they've lived.

https://atxwoman.com/maya-smart/

https://richmond.com/contributions-to-maya-smarts-dec-16-vcu-fan-challenge/article_8bb12553-52be-5f17-9579-85240b1d8195.html
Also, the way I read it, black athletes would also be eligible, meaning Shaka can support his guys without breaking the rules, and gets a tax break to boot!

If that happened could Kolek bring a discrimination case against the university?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2022, 08:06:16 PM »
If that happened could Kolek bring a discrimination case against the university?

Yes.  Have to think this is the end of the university and the coaching career of Shaka Smart.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2022, 08:10:03 PM »
Already been happening for generations. As someone said, the pie is bigger, more people benefit. No one is losing a slice, more people are getting a taste.

Trickle down, a’ina?

GOO

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2022, 08:15:03 PM »
Given the state of America and given the embarrassing treatment of African Americans in and by Americans, which is ongoing, if you can’t see the difference between a fund for whites only and a fund for black students, you my friend are not deserving of a scoop account.  That is saying it very kindly.

And what a great example set by coach and his family.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 08:19:15 PM by GOO »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2022, 08:15:58 PM »
When you accept a gift exclusively for one race and refuse the gift exclusively for the another race how can it not be racist. I'm sure state schools that do that would be in violation of civil rights laws. MU as a private school can do what it likes and I hope they would not refuse such a gift as some here already have said the pie only gets bigger and more people benefit.

Civil rights laws apply to Marquette as well.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2022, 08:29:29 PM »
Given the state of America and given the embarrassing treatment of African Americans in and by Americans, which is ongoing, if you can’t see the difference between a fund for whites only and a fund for black students, you my friend are not deserving of a scoop account.  That is saying it very kindly.

A scoop account, please don't take that away!?   :o

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2022, 08:33:40 PM »
Wow! Outstanding. Right on MU's mission wheelhouse.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2022, 08:51:30 PM »

Wow! I am not deserving of an account because I think racism stinks; and no I don't see the difference.  You don't end discrimination with more discrimination and if you can't see that we are never going to move forward on race.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2022, 08:56:22 PM »
Wow! I am not deserving of an account because I think racism stinks; and no I don't see the difference.  You don't end discrimination with more discrimination and if you can't see that we are never going to move forward on race.
Lol. Now I understand why you are getting all bent out of shape over this. Kind of embarrassing but not surprising that your primary reaction to this wonderful gesture is to play the victim.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2022, 09:00:05 PM »
I just noticed this thread got to three pages long and nobody mentioned Wojo yet.

Just wanted to get it in before the lock.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2022, 09:14:02 PM »

Actually...yes, you do.

Do you golf?  Lemme give you an example that might help you understand.  Based on your username I'm going to assume you are a 1969 graduate, which makes you a little older than many other scoopers.  My guess is, your golf game isn't what it once was.  When you golf with younger golfers, they probably beat you.  Boy, it sure isn't fair that the rules of golf discriminate against older people who can't hit the ball as far or who have back problems.

What's the solution?  A handicap!  It's an adjustment that takes into account your situation and adjusts scores so that you can fairly compete against other golfers with more/less skill, younger/older, etc.  A handicap in golf is discrimination.  A weaker golfer gets a handicap because they are in need of it.  You can call it "positive" discrimination, but it's still discrimination.  But it makes the game of golf between you and your 25-yo nephew a lot more fair.  It levels the playing field.

Likewise, a donation that allocates funds to help students who are traditionally disadvantaged levels the playing field, by recognizing their situation and discriminating in their favor to make things more even and fair.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2022, 09:19:30 PM »
Actually...yes, you do.

Do you golf?  Lemme give you an example that might help you understand.  Based on your username I'm going to assume you are a 1969 graduate, which makes you a little older than many other scoopers.  My guess is, your golf game isn't what it once was.  When you golf with younger golfers, they probably beat you.  Boy, it sure isn't fair that the rules of golf discriminate against older people who can't hit the ball as far or who have back problems.

What's the solution?  A handicap!  It's an adjustment that takes into account your situation and adjusts scores so that you can fairly compete against other golfers with more/less skill, younger/older, etc.  A handicap in golf is discrimination.  A weaker golfer gets a handicap because they are in need of it.  You can call it "positive" discrimination, but it's still discrimination.  But it makes the game of golf between you and your 25-yo nephew a lot more fair.  It levels the playing field.

Likewise, a donation that allocates funds to help students who are traditionally disadvantaged levels the playing field, by recognizing their situation and discriminating in their favor to make things more even and fair.

Nicely put.

And well done Mr. and Mrs. Smart.  Great representatives of Marquette.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2022, 09:23:40 PM »
Bottom line, it's their money and they can give it any way they want.
The thing that is getting people bent out of shape is that it went through Marquette.
Now if the Smart's gave their money to whoever they want without Marquette's involvement, no one could or should give a hoot.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 07, 2022, 09:38:27 PM »

If you thought racism stunk, you would have applauded the Smart’s donation, full stop. The donation will hopefully help Black students who are in need. There are already opportunities for white students to get the help they need, sometimes easier than it is for a Black student. However, you chose to bring race/ism into the conversation where it did not belong. There is a difference, there are differences, that’s the point, saying there aren’t is actually a form of racism. This donation actually helps make those differences disappear, which is what you want, right?

denverMU

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 07, 2022, 09:57:07 PM »
Actually...yes, you do.

Setting aside, for a moment, how I personally feel on this subject.  Your analogy is terrible.  Golf handicaps are not based on immutable characteristics.  You don’t show up at the first tee and get 2 extra strokes based on race, height, or weight.  It is a system to try and equate player scores based on their prior performance.  I wonder if we should give Tiger Woods extra strokes?  As far as the Smarts’ donation…I’m glad we live in a country where they, through their hard work, have the means to make such a donation.  Good on them.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 07, 2022, 10:03:30 PM »
If I established a fund to benefit only Latvian students, would such an act be as lauded/berated/extolled/condemned? Would anyone care? Or would anyone complain that such a move would disproportionately benefit whites (since that what the majority of Latvians are) and was therefore discriminatory?

I feel that I'm basically colorblind. Should I therefore complain about the specificity of this bequest?
Or do the defenders of it's exclusion of many groups have the right approach?

I remember posting in the past about BLM - my position was that ALM (as in all). Luckily, I was perceived as meaning only what I said, and not vilified. The fact of the matter is that many gifts are restricted as to recipients and their eligibility. I went to college with a full-tuition scholarship. But it was available only to graduates of my high school (of course, you had to outperform your competitors) so couldn't the grads of another nearby competing school complain that I had an unfair advantage?

The fact of the matter is that many charitable donations or foundations or scholarships are set up with a limited target group. Kudos to Shaka for his generosity.  Let's not denigrate it just because of the specificity of the target group and the fact that it involves skin color.

MDMU04

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 07, 2022, 10:06:24 PM »
A great gesture from our coach and his wife to help members of the Marquette community. I’m really glad to have them here.

Some of you people would bitch about a blow job.
"They call me eccentric. They used to call me nuts. I haven't changed." - Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 07, 2022, 10:12:50 PM »
So today I learned only Black students at MU incur unanticipated loss or travel emergencies as well as food and safety need.

Perfect.

Also perfect.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 07, 2022, 10:13:33 PM »
A great gesture from our coach and his wife to help members of the Marquette community. I’m really glad to have them here.

Some of you people would bitch about a blow job.

What's a blow job?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #71 on: February 07, 2022, 10:14:57 PM »
I'm sure state schools that do that would be in violation of civil rights laws.

Hi. I work in Title VII and Title IX compliance for a university.

1. You would be incorrect.
2. Civil rights laws also apply to Marquette.
3. You've tried to make this argument in the past and it has been explained to you that it is wrong.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #72 on: February 07, 2022, 10:22:18 PM »
If I established a fund to benefit only Latvian students, would such an act be as lauded/berated/extolled/condemned? Would anyone care? Or would anyone complain that such a move would disproportionately benefit whites (since that what the majority of Latvians are) and was therefore discriminatory?

Depends. Is the fund for students who are literally from Latvia or who parents immigrated from Latvia? Then no, because international students and first generation immigrants are traditionally marginalized populations in this country. Is the fund for White kids who can maybe prove that one of their great great grandparents was half-Latvian? Then maybe, it could be okay if the award was somehow tied to celebrating Latvian culture. If it was an obvious front to set up special funds for White kids? Then yes, it would probably get called out.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 07, 2022, 10:23:33 PM »

I feel that I'm basically colorblind. Should I therefore complain about the specificity of this bequest?
Or do the defenders of it's exclusion of many groups have the right approach?

I remember posting in the past about BLM - my position was that ALM (as in all). Luckily, I was perceived as meaning only what I said, and not vilified. The fact of the matter is that many gifts are restricted as to recipients and their eligibility. I went to college with a full-tuition scholarship. But it was available only to graduates of my high school (of course, you had to outperform your competitors) so couldn't the grads of another nearby competing school complain that I had an unfair advantage?

The fact of the matter is that many charitable donations or foundations or scholarships are set up with a limited target group. Kudos to Shaka for his generosity.  Let's not denigrate it just because of the specificity of the target group and the fact that it involves skin color.

Very good explanation - hope it helps the few who were having trouble with something we should all be celebrating.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 07, 2022, 10:23:58 PM »
Agree Chick,  this can only be considered a positive.  Any other slant is pathetic.  People here can be real idiots.
I think what Billy is trying to say is …why not maintain a single fund that helps all students that encounter a financial emergency hardship? (making a monetary donation in someone’s name, i.e. Bo Ellis, to that single fund). Definitely a great commitment by Coach Smart. (Btw, anyone know how the university makes known to students that a fund is available for such emergencies?)

feedback