[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fans at Fiserv  (Read 10587 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Fans at Fiserv
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2022, 06:40:13 PM »
Love when the students break into a Shaka chant in the middle of the game.

Missed opportunity not to rebrand "Shake Shack" to "Shaka Shack"

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2022, 06:40:57 PM »
I don't know,  I was there yesterday and while the students were numerous, I thought they were very stiff. Not that the STHs are better but they've always been more reserved. My section tried to stand on a couple big plays and we were asked to sit by the people behind us. It wasn't until the game was in hand that the crowd really perked up
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2022, 06:43:09 PM »

I agree.  Crean, in particular, focused on selling the experience.  Remember that whole "largest crowd to see a college hoops game in Wisconsin" shtick?  It worked.  He was a hell of a salesman and he consistently got butts in seats.  The program was on the move then.  Great Alaska Shootout, DWade, the FF, the move to the Big East.  It had people's attention.  Even the buy games, the BC felt like the place to be.

The BC was not too full Crean's first 2 years, coinciding with mine, despite his salesmanship. I wouldn't be surprised if his marketing schtick made some marginal difference over the previous year, but what really gets butts in seats is having players like Dwyane Wade and winning tons of games. I guess folks who were going to games in the mediocre period between Wade leaving and the three amigos arriving can tell us how great Crean's salesmanship did at filling the seats then.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2022, 06:49:24 PM »
I don't know,  I was there yesterday and while the students were numerous, I thought they were very stiff. Not that the STHs are better but they've always been more reserved. My section tried to stand on a couple big plays and we were asked to sit by the people behind us. It wasn't until the game was in hand that the crowd really perked up

There was a lot of non-students still in the student section I noticed. They then rolled back the tarps at tip time as the students showed.

That said, game ops is tough during COVID. What do you plan for? Getting people up and yelling with masks on?  I also noticed the Vesties around me are very reserved about getting up and yelling, if they are there at all. Clapping yes. Pretty dull.

After the HOF ceremony at half, people emptied out to hit the head or concessions and I think that hurt the energy to start the half for X's run.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2022, 06:49:48 PM »
I'm always amused by the beer price angst.  If a $13 beer is gonna kill your budget, plan your drinking appropriately before the game.  If it isn't, buy 2 and give one to a poor looking stranger!

If you're offering come national Marquette day...
Maigh Eo for Sam

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2022, 07:01:22 PM »
If you're offering come national Marquette day...

I'll likely be watching that one from an airport, likely drinking > $13 beers, lol.  But if your at the same airport bar and wearing Marquette gear, I'll send a beer your way.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2022, 07:07:03 PM »
or wear really baggy clothes ;)
don't...don't don't don't don't

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2022, 07:12:37 PM »

I feel like masks impact the fan engagement. Muffles the cheers.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2022, 07:16:24 PM »
I think we're over-thinking this...win and fans will come and be loud.  Shaka and team are off to a hell of a start. 

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2022, 07:30:52 PM »

My son and I went to the UWM game to see Cain and same size beer was $7.
I realize there is a difference on many fronts from the product on the floor to the facility, etc., but $13 is a bit steep

As someone who is in UWMPA 20 times per year for the Panthers & Admirals. Concessions prices are so much better.

Also, I thought the crowd had more energy for Seton Hall than Xavier. Others said it might be Packers fan sadness.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 07:38:05 PM by Mr. Nielsen »
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2022, 07:38:54 PM »
Get rid of dj snack daddy and the girl. That is all.

The female MC is under 18?  She looks older.
Have some patience, FFS.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2022, 07:45:09 PM »
I'm always amused by the beer price angst.  If a $13 beer is gonna kill your budget, plan your drinking appropriately before the game.  If it isn't, buy 2 and give one to a poor looking stranger!
This, people, is the proper way to rebate your Scoop membership fees.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2022, 08:17:59 PM »
The student section has been absolutely fantastic IMO this year.
Always cheering loudly for Shaka especially.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2022, 10:30:41 PM »

Yeah the crowd yesterday was disappointing, I thought. The winning streak, the Nova win, a ranked team... That place should have been bouncing from the start.

Shark

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2022, 10:48:05 PM »
I feel like masks impact the fan engagement. Muffles the cheers.

Was waiting to say this but didn't wanna rustle any jimmies

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2022, 11:45:00 PM »
Yeah the crowd yesterday was disappointing, I thought. The winning streak, the Nova win, a ranked team... That place should have been bouncing from the start.

I thought so too. I felt far more energy at the IL and UCLA games. Maybe I just expected too much, but I thought the place would be energized from the jump coming in on such a hot streak, big game and the students just back from break.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2022, 07:32:51 AM »
I think we're over-thinking this...win and fans will come and be loud. 

Shaka and team are off to a hell of a start. 

This is the answer.  Just win.

TBH, though, I don't see any reduction in entertainment operations from the Crean era to now.  The bar was raised and people are used to it.   Not much else to be done besides giving every row their own personal cheerleader.  8-)

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2022, 08:51:10 AM »
I took a non-MU person to the game on Sunday.  He was impressed by the attendance and enthusiasm.  For a Sunday afternoon game, I thought it was a fantastic atmosphere.  There are two Saturday games left on the calendar and I would expect great environments at both. Most importantly, this is all due to Shaka.
"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2022, 09:17:37 AM »

I don't like paying $13 for a pint but I won't let that stop me from having a few at the game if I want 'em.  My comment was meant more as a general observation that cheaper beer prices would result in higher arena-wide consumption, which would lead to a more raucous crowd.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2022, 09:20:14 AM »
$13 dollars for a beer is absurd. I'll still pay as i stress drink during games whether I went to the local bars beforehand or not but it's more than the United Center's 12 and Milwaukee's supposedly so much cheaper.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2022, 09:23:25 AM »
TBH, though, I don't see any reduction in entertainment operations from the Crean era to now.  The bar was raised and people are used to it.

I think it's just a far less organized operation. The DJ now has no feel for the game/momentum. Plays some bizarre songs (baby shark still?) and plays over the band.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2022, 09:27:31 AM »
The DJ now has no feel for the game/momentum. Plays some bizarre songs (baby shark still?) and plays over the band.

This!  Exactly!!
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2022, 09:29:44 AM »
I think it's just a far less organized operation. The DJ now has no feel for the game/momentum. Plays some bizarre songs (baby shark still?) and plays over the band.

and the woman whom works with him, her voice so squeaky ! ! !  There were a few complaints before and she was removed from the act.  Now she's back ! ! !  AAAggghhh  8-)

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 25, 2022, 09:34:01 AM »

Who are the people who make the decisions regarding all this and more?  How much control do MU employees have the activities?
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #49 on: January 25, 2022, 09:49:49 AM »
I don't like paying $13 for a pint but I won't let that stop me from having a few at the game if I want 'em.  My comment was meant more as a general observation that cheaper beer prices would result in higher arena-wide consumption, which would lead to a more raucous crowd.

Fair, although I think concessions are completely out of MUs hands now.  At least I think I recall that as a change from the BC -> FF.  Though I do wonder how they organize those $5 beer games?  I'm sure someone here has more info, so I'll just stop.