Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Fans at Fiserv  (Read 10569 times)

Scoop Snoop

• All American
Fans at Fiserv
« on: January 24, 2022, 04:34:34 PM »
Some of you who are fortunate to live in or near Milwaukee and attend games at Fiserv have given differing accounts as to how much the crowd is into the games. I'm especially interested in the student section, as one student is probably equal to 10 average fans in terms of being loud and making their presence felt. Your take on our students? I believe that the TV producers suppress a lot of the crowd noise for the announcers and the camera crew only occasionally pans an expanse of the crowd, preferring instead to focus on individual fans, so I do not get a sense of what it is really like being at Fiserv. So...what do you see and hear that you like or dislike? And what about the band? 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: Fans at Fiserv
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2022, 04:36:55 PM »
Some of you who are fortunate to live in or near Milwaukee and attend games at Fiserv have given differing accounts as to how much the crowd is into the games. I'm especially interested in the student section, as one student is probably equal to 10 average fans in terms of being loud and making their presence felt. Your take on our students? I believe that the TV producers suppress a lot of the crowd noise for the announcers and the camera crew only occasionally pans an expanse of the crowd, preferring instead to focus on individual fans, so I do not get a sense of what it is really like being at Fiserv. So...what do you see and hear that you like or dislike? And what about the band?

The students have been great for the games I have been to. They're dying for a winner and have been greatly rewarded thus far.  Now that the break is over (if the X game is any representation from what I saw via social media), they will really make their presence felt for the balance of the season.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2022, 04:37:29 PM »
The students bring a ton of energy to the games.  Yesterday (with the student sections full) it was like night and day compared to the games played over break.  The students are into the game, they're having fun, and they're leading the cheering.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2022, 04:45:00 PM »
I'm especially interested in the student section, as one student is probably equal to 10 average fans in terms of being loud and making their presence felt.

I mean… yeah, some are
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2022, 04:51:53 PM »
Yesterday was a really good crowd. Students were loud, rest of the crowd was engaged. Seton Hall was pretty good but missed the students. There were a lot of empty seats during the Illinois game but the crowd was loud enough.

Uconn, Providence, and DePaul were not great. Creighton was loud during the comeback but overall the crowd was mediocre. I think people just needed a reason to believe after years of having their hearts ripped out. I expect great crowds going forward other than the midweek Georgetown game.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2022, 04:52:56 PM »
I have been to every game against the top competition and think the students have been great. I got the vibe yesterday and everyone is becoming very engaged with this team.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2022, 05:02:28 PM »
It was a good crowd yesterday. Although, to be honest, the game experience is way way way down from the Crean and Buzz years. The arena used to be juiced 30 minutes before tip off all the way until the final buzzer. The energy was palpable.

Not so much anymore. There’s numerous factors that contribute to this watered down game experience in 2022, but it’s very evident. Butts were in seats though yesterday and it’s still a big time environment for a game.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2022, 05:05:50 PM »
Country

I agree on that but I think things start to pick up energy wise. It does not help that a lot of folks are in dry January, at least my group.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2022, 05:07:49 PM »
Country

I agree on that but I think things start to pick up energy wise. It does not help that a lot of folks are in dry January, at least my group.

Dry January is for quitters
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2022, 05:08:10 PM »
It also doesn't help that a beer costs 13 bucks.  And some of these earlier game times don't leave a ton of time for pregaming at area bars.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Miss Katie’s

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2022, 05:13:29 PM »
Season ticket holder here, and I think the students have brought a ton of energy and excitement so far — and it will only get better from here on out.  They are engaged, hungry for a winner, and having fun. Their biggest cheer during the intros always goes to Shaka.   It was great they were back yesterday, as the games over break were just not the same. 

I feel like some of the in game production could/should change though (music choices, game hosts, use of the band, etc.), but I believe that’s been discussed in another thread earlier this season if I recall correctly. 

Viper

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2022, 05:16:11 PM »
It also doesn't help that a beer costs 13 bucks.  And some of these earlier game times don't leave a ton of time for pregaming at area bars.
$13. Really? Tony Soprano and Uncle Paulie the distributors?

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2022, 05:37:32 PM »
Season ticket holder here, and I think the students have brought a ton of energy and excitement so far — and it will only get better from here on out.  They are engaged, hungry for a winner, and having fun. Their biggest cheer during the intros always goes to Shaka.   It was great they were back yesterday, as the games over break were just not the same. 

I feel like some of the in game production could/should change though (music choices, game hosts, use of the band, etc.), but I believe that’s been discussed in another thread earlier this season if I recall correctly.

This is what I was hoping to hear! Even though it was covered in another thread, I think the in game production issues merit further discussion. I really hope that the decision makers engage all fans in the discussion of ideas, but with a special focus on the students, before making changes. This is simply Marketing 101.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

OffTheGlass

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2022, 05:38:30 PM »
$13. Really? Tony Soprano and Uncle Paulie the distributors?

That $13 price is a bit painful and add a bag of popcorn in the clear plastic bag and it's ridic.
My son and I went to the UWM game to see Cain and same size beer was $7.
I realize there is a difference on many fronts from the product on the floor to the facility, etc., but $13 is a bit steep
for a MU game. Just need to hit the locals longer prior to tipoff!

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2022, 05:45:02 PM »
UCLA game was the best environment in quite some time, up until the actual game started. 8:00PM tip against a top 5 team.  Even once the game was going it was still one of the better environments of the year, hearing the crowd when we went on that mini run to end the first half, you would not have thought we were down 14.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2022, 05:51:15 PM »
It was a good crowd yesterday. Although, to be honest, the game experience is way way way down from the Crean and Buzz years. The arena used to be juiced 30 minutes before tip off all the way until the final buzzer. The energy was palpable.

Not so much anymore. There’s numerous factors that contribute to this watered down game experience in 2022, but it’s very evident. Butts were in seats though yesterday and it’s still a big time environment for a game.

I agree.  Crean, in particular, focused on selling the experience.  Remember that whole "largest crowd to see a college hoops game in Wisconsin" shtick?  It worked.  He was a hell of a salesman and he consistently got butts in seats.  The program was on the move then.  Great Alaska Shootout, DWade, the FF, the move to the Big East.  It had people's attention.  Even the buy games, the BC felt like the place to be.

The Wojo era had a few moments, of course.  I have not been to every game, but yesterday's juice reminded me a little of the Friday night game a couple years ago against an excellent Buffalo squad, where Markus went nuts and the packed house followed.  But it hasn't been like that consistently for a long time, and I don't fully understand why. 

I would be surprised, though, if that trend was special to Marquette and not CBB as a whole.

I don't know what Shaka will do as a pitchman, but seeing the progression back into a winner fixes so many things.  Yesterday was fantastic.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2022, 05:53:50 PM »
UCLA game was the best environment in quite some time, up until the actual game started. 8:00PM tip against a top 5 team.  Even once the game was going it was still one of the better environments of the year, hearing the crowd when we went on that mini run to end the first half, you would not have thought we were down 14.

Now that's the mark of loyal, fully engaged fans! Reminds me of the St. Johns fan right behind my wife and me at the BET in '19. Marquette won by over 30 points but if you listened only to her rather than watching the game, you would think St. Johns was blowing us out. I really admired her for that. My ears were ringing afterwards.

Miss Katie’s

• All American
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2022, 06:08:31 PM »
This is what I was hoping to hear! Even though it was covered in another thread, I think the in game production issues merit further discussion. I really hope that the decision makers engage all fans in the discussion of ideas, but with a special focus on the students, before making changes. This is simply Marketing 101.

Definitely merits further discussion, especially as the season progresses and people see what they like and don’t like.  I am a fan of some of the contests (like free Shake Shack after two opponent missed free throws and free QDoba after 32 deflections), but the music and game hosts seem like they could use an overhaul. 

« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 06:11:01 PM by Miss Katie’s »

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2022, 06:09:51 PM »
Was at Illinois game and yesterday. 

Illinois was fantastic energy - in part the product of (and I think contributing to) the comeback energy and then it being a very close game to the wire.

Yesterday was also very good, but not at top level.

I attended with 2 nephews, one of whom is an MU grad and the other an IU grad (no, he wasn’t there for Crean- MU is is second favorite team-his mom went to MU and we are an MU family, dammit). 

The IU grad had only been to one other game at Fiserv-and it was the Norby game-and I thought his comments on the X game experience were telling.  He was incredibly impressed with the constant engagement of the fans by the MU Gamed Day team- he said that at IU games they get none of that-the game is the experience, and that’s it.  While I’d like to believe that the game should be enough, it isn’t for those fans who are marginal or who have younger kids etc.  As he noted, the MU game experience is more akin to a professional team.  While I sometimes find that annoying, it is another benefit to the infrastructure of Fiserv plus the MU Gameday team effort and budget.  I have been taking that for granted, and I shouldn’t be.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2022, 06:11:31 PM »
Get rid of dj snack daddy and the girl. That is all.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2022, 06:12:12 PM »

Then you're not starting pregaming early enough. At minimum, a hatchback, a case of High Life (the one time I condone cans), and a parking lot should suffice.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2022, 06:20:19 PM »
Then you're not starting pregaming early enough. At minimum, a hatchback, a case of High Life (the one time I condone cans), and a parking lot should suffice.

I actually tried this in a ford 500 for the West Virginia game in 2011 in the lot that was across from the Bradley center. Nobody was interested in having a beer, people looked at us like we were nuts, and we realized that we as 19yr olds had to drive past a bunch of cops back to campus with a trunk full of beer. Would suggest just going to the bars.
Maigh Eo for Sam

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2022, 06:28:41 PM »
Country

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2022, 06:29:33 PM »
Love when the students break into a Shaka chant in the middle of the game.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2022, 06:38:08 PM »
I'm always amused by the beer price angst.  If a $13 beer is gonna kill your budget, plan your drinking appropriately before the game.  If it isn't, buy 2 and give one to a poor looking stranger!