collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: RIP Meatloaf  (Read 3976 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: RIP Meatloaf
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2022, 12:25:16 PM »
I'll Do Anything For Love came out in 1993.  And power ballads weren't all that unique by then.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2022, 12:54:30 PM »
I'll Do Anything For Love came out in 1993.  And power ballads weren't all that unique by then.

power ballads weren't 12 minutes long (yes, they played the full version on the radio at the start), didn't have motorcycle sound effects spliced in. And, of course, there was the question of what "that" was.

Power ballads were sappy and short, this seemed straight out of a musical.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2022, 12:56:16 PM »
power ballads weren't 12 minutes long (yes, they played the full version on the radio at the start), didn't have motorcycle sound effects spliced in. And, of course, there was the question of what "that" was.

Power ballads were sappy and short, this seemed straight out of a musical.

Gotcha.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2022, 12:56:55 PM »
So much of his stuff did.    Which, IMO, is a reason nobody ever tries to cover him.  It isn't like you can do it with a guitar, bass, and drums.   And I agree with your assessment of the song, Billy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2022, 01:03:33 PM »

Then you don't have to participate in the topic, with your continuing desire to place people in your binary camps.

In the next election cycle, I promise to vote for you for mod so you can remove me from Scoop.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2022, 01:07:57 PM »
Between Meatloaf and now Louie Anderson, there has been a ton of celebrity deaths in the last 24 hours.

Too soon?

Whether that is your line or you heard it from someone else. that is funny. A very Louie-esque type of one-liner.

Louie is a guy I will miss. Extremely talented and funny. Guy who had a tough life as a child who became a success.

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2022, 01:12:46 PM »
In the next election cycle, I promise to vote for you for mod so you can remove me from Scoop.

I just don't understand the need for you to come onto a topic, where people are posting mostly nice reminiscent things, only for you to basically say "he was a dumbass and I didn't like his music."

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2022, 01:15:32 PM »

I just don't understand the need for you to come onto a topic, where people are posting mostly nice reminiscent things, only for you to basically say "he was a dumbass and I didn't like his music."

Fine. I respect your opinion. I gave mine.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2022, 01:29:06 PM »
"Paradise" was the song we used to blast in the girls' dorm in 1980 to fire us up as we were getting ready to go out on Saturday night. We would gather in the hallway and sing into our hairbrushes.

It's one of my favorite college memories.

There was an era when people dressed up for dates?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2022, 01:48:48 PM »
80's hair.   Big.   Flammable.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2022, 01:50:57 PM »
This death was this week also.
Their song was in any movie that had a scene set sometime in the 1950's.

Fred Parris, ‘In the Still of the Night’ Songwriter and Five Satins Frontman, Dies at 85
Parris and bandmate Al Denby famously recorded the enduring doo-wop hit in a church basement in New Haven.

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/fred-parris-five-satins-dead-obituary-1235019443/

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 21, 2022, 02:19:35 PM »
80's hair.   Big.   Flammable.

Yep.  In 1980 had a big set of hot rollers that I used every day (twice a day on the weekends) to make sure my Farrah hairdo was on point.

Have some patience, FFS.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2022, 03:15:40 PM »
I once won a quiz bowl competition in high school by answering this final question "What won't Marvin Aday do for love?"

I actually didn't know Meatloafs real name was Marvin but had happened to have heard the song recently and figured that had to be the answer
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2022, 04:00:27 PM »
I love meatloaf.

Even better ... we take leftover meatloaf, slice it about 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick, and put it on a good bread with cheddar cheese. We then grill it like a grilled cheese sammich ... but it's really a grilled cheeseburger sammich, or kind of like a patty melt. Sometimes I grill some onions to put on top. Wow ... so good!

Our kids love it so much that when we go visit them, they ask my wife to make the meatloaf and then we just go right to the sammiches.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2022, 04:23:04 PM »
I love meatloaf.

Even better ... we take leftover meatloaf, slice it about 1/3 to 1/2 inch thick, and put it on a good bread with cheddar cheese. We then grill it like a grilled cheese sammich ... but it's really a grilled cheeseburger sammich, or kind of like a patty melt. Sometimes I grill some onions to put on top. Wow ... so good!

Our kids love it so much that when we go visit them, they ask my wife to make the meatloaf and then we just go right to the sammiches.

a BBQ place near me does smoked brisket meatloaf. The sandwiches are on sourdough. So damn good!
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 21, 2022, 04:55:50 PM »
I love meatloaf.

Damn that sounds good, you are inspiring me to make meatloaf this weekend in honor of mr loaf. Then I will have red hot chili peppers and Korn for the sides, Cake for dessert and bare naked ladies for after dinner entertainment
« Last Edit: January 21, 2022, 05:02:07 PM by hairy worthen »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #41 on: January 21, 2022, 05:07:19 PM »
I’ve read/heard several stories about what a genuine and wonderful person this guy was. But we don’t know his vaccination status and he wasn’t fond of masks, so……

What’s happened to us?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #42 on: January 21, 2022, 05:07:28 PM »
This death was this week also.
Their song was in any movie that had a scene set sometime in the 1950's.

Fred Parris, ‘In the Still of the Night’ Songwriter and Five Satins Frontman, Dies at 85
Parris and bandmate Al Denby famously recorded the enduring doo-wop hit in a church basement in New Haven.

https://www.billboard.com/music/music-news/fred-parris-five-satins-dead-obituary-1235019443/

Ronnie Spector of Ronnettes fame died recently too.  Phil Spector was a creep and a horrid person, but the sounds that he got out of the Wall of Sound were amazing.  The Ronettes were recording around the same time as the  Beach Boys, Brian Wilson used the same recording style for Pet Sounds and Love and Mercy.  Ronnie was a great vocalist.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #43 on: January 21, 2022, 05:19:22 PM »
Ronnie Spector of Ronnettes fame died recently too.  Phil Spector was a creep and a horrid person, but the sounds that he got out of the Wall of Sound were amazing.  The Ronettes were recording around the same time as the  Beach Boys, Brian Wilson used the same recording style for Pet Sounds and Love and Mercy.  Ronnie was a great vocalist.

She was amazing. 

As for the Loaf, I found it corny as hell but absolutely sung along to all of it.  Both brought great joy to the world
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

hairy worthen

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 21, 2022, 05:19:31 PM »
I’ve read/heard several stories about what a genuine and wonderful person this guy was. But we don’t know his vaccination status and he wasn’t fond of masks, so……

What’s happened to us?
It's disgusting. Everything is made political and people with different views are demonized or cancelled. Not what this country is about.

There are some here who have to turn every damn thing into either race or politics. Really tiring after a while.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 21, 2022, 05:26:52 PM »
 Right now the anti-vaxxers are claiming the booster killed him.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 21, 2022, 06:15:37 PM »
Right now the anti-vaxxers are claiming the booster killed him.

From what I gather a small group of wacky anti-vaxxers blame every celebrity death on the booster. Whether this is some kind of a bad joke or seriously stupid conspiracy theorists I can’t know. But it’s a minuscule portion of the non vaxxed, not the entire group - which you imply.

But I certainly agree that those nuts are part of the “what have we become?” crew.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #47 on: January 21, 2022, 06:26:33 PM »
"Meat Loaf was one of the greatest rock singers of all time."

I know we heap praise on the dead, but cmon...

Here is his voice isolated from "Two out of Three Ain't Bad"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5ktqUCNDDI&t=1s&ab_channel=WilcoenHermavandenEnk

Start listening at about 2:30.  I don't think  "one of the greatest rock singers of all time" is a massive exaggeration.
Have some patience, FFS.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 21, 2022, 06:40:40 PM »

Sings some of the best Christmas songs.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2022, 10:41:12 PM »
Meatloaf always reminds me of this.
(MU82 may recall this place from back in the day.)

Starting literally the week after I graduated in 1991, I went to this place once or twice a week for a couple years.
Paradise by the Dashboard Light was one of the Boppers night club (in New Haven) songs.  This was one of a half dozen songs they played every night that the waitresses would lead a club full of drunks in some unison yell and dance routine. 
Along with Time Warp, Little Willie and Strokin' and a couple other regulars.   

My wife and I went to Boppers a few times, and I remember the show.  They had stuff worked out for a lot of the songs but it's funny you mentioned it, because Boppers was the first thing I thought of when Paradise by the Dashboard Lights was mentioned.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.