Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East Tourney 2022 - roll call, etc.  (Read 2719 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Big East Tourney 2022 - roll call, etc.
« on: January 10, 2022, 10:56:07 AM »
Heavily leaning towards booking flights for the Big East Tourney. Some random questions for those that know…

Hotels – any suggestions? Looks like we’ve been in the Renaissance in years past… looks pricey, hey? So many hotel options in the area, of course.

Tickets – should I worry about securing tourney tickets prior to arrival in NYC?

Events – I assume just some traditional* MU pre-game event(s) will be planned… anything else of interest in the past from Marquette or the Big East overall?

NYC – Obviously some questions about what life will look like in a couple of months, but what are some key things we should consider doing, restaurants, shopping, sightseeing, etc.?

Airports – I’ve flown into La Guardia and JFK plenty of times. Never Newark. The flight times for Newark work the best for us – should be no problem, right? Hop on a train to Penn Station NYC and we’re good, yes?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
Re: Big East Tourney 2022 - roll call, etc.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 11:54:53 AM »
Heavily leaning towards booking flights for the Big East Tourney. Some random questions for those that know…

Hotels – any suggestions? Looks like we’ve been in the Renaissance in years past… looks pricey, hey? So many hotel options in the area, of course.

Tickets – should I worry about securing tourney tickets prior to arrival in NYC?

Events – I assume just some traditional* MU pre-game event(s) will be planned… anything else of interest in the past from Marquette or the Big East overall?

NYC – Obviously some questions about what life will look like in a couple of months, but what are some key things we should consider doing, restaurants, shopping, sightseeing, etc.?

Airports – I’ve flown into La Guardia and JFK plenty of times. Never Newark. The flight times for Newark work the best for us – should be no problem, right? Hop on a train to Penn Station NYC and we’re good, yes?
EWR or JFK both have trains to Penn Station.  EWR is a little easier

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2022, 12:12:46 PM »

I do not remember the room rate for the New Yorker, where my wife and I stayed, but I do remember that by NYC standards, it was a bargain. We are happy with less flashier hotels with smaller rooms rather than pricey hotels. Even if you do not stay there, poke your head into the lobby to see the Art Deco architecture. It opened in '29 just before the crash. Go to the lower level to see an exhibit featuring Tesla, who lived in the hotel for many years.

Must see is the 911 site. It is really eerie how quiet it is there' and you may see some people there obviously moved by the site.

I do not know where you are coming from, but we drove to Charlottesville and took Amtrack all the way into Penn station. Perfect for us!
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2022, 12:26:36 PM »
Thanks, guys. Sounds like the train from Newark is no problem.

Scoop Snoop, glad you brought up the New Yorker. That’s the first one that popped out at me in my search - great location relative to MSG and nice pricing.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2022, 01:00:27 PM »
Go with Newark. The train goes right into Penn Station and you don't have to deal with bridge and tunnel traffic.

Get the best priced hotel you can find near the Garden. You will be doing a lot of walking and it makes it easier.

Balthazar 80 Spring Street in Soho. Great French Food and environment.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2022, 02:59:42 PM »
Be ready to wear your mask a lot in NYC, hey?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2022, 03:17:20 PM »
Be ready to wear your mask a lot in NYC, hey?

I heard someone is going to shut down the virus. Should be ok by then, hey??

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2022, 06:52:59 PM »

Thanks, guys. Sounds like the train from Newark is no problem.

Agreed. Easy way into town. Better than the train from JFK, IMO.

Miss Katie’s

• All American
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2022, 04:32:58 PM »
I’ve been several times.  So much fun!  Always got my tickets through MU, but I know plenty of others who have bought them in town with no problem, so I think that would work as well. 

I have stayed a variety of places including the Renaissance.  It is right across the street from MSG, so you can’t beat it for convenience — but yes, it’s pricey.   I just looked at the rates, and it seems considerably higher now than I paid a few years ago.  It’s a very nice newer hotel, has a fun bar/rooftop, and was particularly awesome when I attended that crazy Seton Hall semifinal and only needed to cross the street to get back to my room when it finally ended at almost 1 A.M.  But it’s so easy and quick though to take the subway from anywhere in Times Square/Midtown to Penn Station, and I’ve stayed at good places there as well — Westin Times Square, Hyatt Centric, Marriott Marquis, Hilton Garden Inn Times Square.

Besides a show on Broadway and all of the most well known sights (9/11 museum as mentioned, Central Park, Brooklyn Bridge, Times Square, Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island, which is a favorite of mine, etc.), I like to visit Bryant Park and play/watch the outdoor ping pong there (cool documentary called “The Tables” if you haven’t seen it), Grand Central station, walk the High Line if weather permits, Chelsea Market, Top of the Rock over the Empire State Building (so you get the ESB in your view), and visit the incredible Strand book store.  Unbelievable how much cool stuff is in there. 

Obviously there is a plethora of amazing food, so it just depends what you want.  I enjoy John’s Pizza, Becco for delicious family style Italian, Black Tao for burgers, Sarabeth’s or ABC Kitchen for brunch, Buddakhan or Tao for Asian, Katz’s Deli, Magnolia or Ladurée for bakery, and Ellen’s Stardust Diner to see the Broadway hopefuls sing and dance while they serve you.  There is also a great food hall attached to MSG (The Penn) and in the lower level of the Plaza Hotel.  Landmark steakhouse Keen’s is within walking distance of MSG. 

I’ve typically flown to LGA and taken a cab to the hotel, but it’s very easy to hop on the train at EWR right to Penn Station.  Of course there’s no way to know now what will be open then, then but hopefully most things will be.  Have an awesome time!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 10:46:20 AM by Miss Katie’s »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2022, 07:07:15 PM »
The Westin Times Square is the way to go at $204 a night. Some team will be staying there.

It’s not piss poor either.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 08:25:59 PM »
I heard someone is going to shut down the virus. Should be ok by then, hey??

LOFL

Eye

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2022, 09:36:39 AM »
I second the 9-11 museum suggestion. Best non-sports museum ever been to by a wide margin.
GO WARRIORS!

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2022, 10:16:32 AM »
The 911 museum is a wrenching experience.
I have been twice to the Big East. The first time we bought tickets for the first MU game maybe through the venue? Then we bought tix for the championship game outside the venue after the semi-final game. The championship game was a snooze fest that year and we would have had more fun watching paint dry. The second time we just bought off StubHub for the MU games. I’m not really interested enough to go to games MU isn’t involved in, tbh. If we want to we would just look at StubHub anyway.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2022, 10:20:55 AM »
My wife and I went to Central Park and took a horse drawn carriage ride. Yeah- very touristy but romantic and memorable as well.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2022, 05:00:22 PM »
Just had a layover in Newark. Masks everywhere! Be prepared. #endofdays
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2022, 05:53:04 PM »
The Westin Times Square is the way to go at $204 a night. Some team will be staying there.

This. And often MU is one of the teams staying there.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2022, 06:11:13 PM »

Agreed. Nice hotel with decent sized rooms. Good bar scene.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2022, 07:08:11 PM »
I’ll say this, with the exception of my four year stretch in Thrillwaukee and law school in LA I’ve lived less than 60 minutes outside of midtown Manhattan my entire life.

Every single time I’ve had friends in from out of town for the first time I’ve taken them on The Circle Line. Touristy, sure. Cheesy, perhaps. However, it’s a ton of fun and very informative. If it’s a halfway decent day weather-wise it’s 100% worth it.

And in terms of dining try Tratorria Maltesta in the West Village. Homemade pastas daily. Handwritten menus. Cash only. You definitely won’t regret it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2022, 02:54:22 PM »
Just booked my flight...I guess this is really going to happen.

I've gotta admit that a month ago I assumed I'd be watching Marquette play on Wednesday. Now, I'm not so sure.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.