[April 23, 2024, 09:42:02 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 23, 2024, 09:23:41 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[April 23, 2024, 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 23, 2024, 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Gregs Last Free Throw was Intentional Miss  (Read 6535 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: Gregs Last Free Throw was Intentional Miss
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2022, 09:56:20 PM »
That miss took exactly 1/10 of one second off  the clock. Forcing the TO, and not allowing the inbounding player to run the baseline is more likely to have a bigger impact in the last second shot.

OK.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2022, 11:37:21 PM »
In the mic’d up game I saw a couple times where players made suggestions during a time out. Surprisingly, it was young guys - Jones & Osa if I remember correctly.

I thought at the time there must be a great coaching atmosphere if freshmen feel that comfortable.

I remember that also and that is why the comment stood out to me.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2022, 11:52:21 PM »
From the postgame, that was a player decision. Shaka said the players definitely wanted the deliberate miss if Greg made the first, so he went with it. Unless they Laettner it (unlikely with Kur guarding the inbounder) the only real shot for SHU was a half court heave, in which case one or two doesn't matter.

That seems like a big statement of confidence in the players to let them make that decision.

I agree that it's really cool that our coach gives his players a voice ... although this actually was the players' suggestion but Shaka's decision.

murphmurphy

• Walk-On
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2022, 03:55:54 AM »
How does the time keeper turn the clock on and turn it off in 1/10th or 3 /10ths of a second?  How long does it take to say "Time Out" to the official after you possess the ball. If I were coaching I would always do whatever I could to prevent the in-bounder from being able to run the base line and guard him with my biggest defender.  You can watch the ending again and see SH couldn't get a clean pass to half court.   

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2022, 05:51:06 AM »
It was a smart call by Shaka. Only wish he would have called for fouling the inbounds receiver at the end of the Creighton game to seal our win.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2022, 05:57:50 AM »
So MU can miss a FT and SH can board it and get a timeout with .3 coming off, but they can't catch a pass and call a timeout with .3 coming off? 

I'm not saying Shaka was wrong...but your math is.

I think it would be damn near impossible to do so.  You would have to make a pass with Kur standing right in front of you, to someone about 50 feel away, who catches and controls it before calling a timeout.  And at no point can the ball touch another player.  It can't be tipped, dropped, etc.

I just don't see how that can happen.

« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 06:59:42 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2022, 06:37:49 AM »
I would have preferred a make there, just because of the risk of a foul.  Especially with that crew.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2022, 07:10:25 AM »
CTWarrior

While I am a fan of the intentional miss, I cannot argue your point. Especially after the reasoning behind not fouling at Creighton game. I think Shaka is 1-1 on these calls and fortunately we are 1-1 in the games.

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2022, 07:20:31 AM »
CTWarrior

While I am a fan of the intentional miss, I cannot argue your point. Especially after the reasoning behind not fouling at Creighton game. I think Shaka is 1-1 on these calls and fortunately we are 1-1 in the games.

The "reasoning behind not fouling at (sic) Creighton" has nothing to do with yesterday.  The situations were tactically unrelated to one another.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2022, 07:26:50 AM »
Fluff

Shaka noted he did not foul late in the Creighton game because he was afraid of a silly foul, the same holds true on the intentional miss yesterday. A coach's decision to foul or not foul is very similar to the intentional miss. That said, thank you again for being the voice of reason and knowledge on Scoop. I will definitely be more careful in bunching things together moving forward.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 16, 2022, 07:33:41 AM »
At the end of the day Seton Hall was in a low probability scenario which is what you want. I don’t think making or missing really increases or decreases SH probability of winning.

When watching the game, I thought miss it and they will use the full 1.8 with the rebound and getting to a spot where they have momentum to shoot but they only lost .3 seconds. They had the ball and TO before they could even started the clock. They had to adjust the tenths later.

Looking back I don’t think it matters but I would say make it. At that point SH was in the Bonus so any unintentional foul, make up call, ref mistake puts them on the line with a chance to win.

I do appreciate Dickie Simpkins making up the on a missed free throw, if you call timeout, you can run the baseline rule. It totally made up for the refs forgetting it was a missed free throw and telling SH they could run the baseline.

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 16, 2022, 07:36:58 AM »
Fluff

Shaka noted he did not foul late in the Creighton game because he was afraid of a silly foul, the same holds true on the intentional miss yesterday. A coach's decision to foul or not foul is very similar to the intentional miss. That said, thank you again for being the voice of reason and knowledge on Scoop. I will definitely be more careful in bunching things together moving forward.

They aren't similar in the least, which is obvious considering Shaka treated the situations differently. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 16, 2022, 07:49:28 AM »
Fluff

I think very late in game coaching decisions are similar, but like I said, thank you for pointing out my incorrect post. Looking forward to reading more of your posts today.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 16, 2022, 08:32:14 AM »
Fluff

I think very late in game coaching decisions are similar, but like I said, thank you for pointing out my incorrect post. Looking forward to reading 300 more of your posts today.

Goose, I fixed it for you, hey?

"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Goose

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2022, 08:45:37 AM »
Doc,

It is not a workday, and the posts will be limited to approx. 175 today. He is lot more active during the week.

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 16, 2022, 08:53:22 AM »
Doc,

It is not a workday, and the posts will be limited to approx. 175 today. He is lot more active during the week.

Why is it so hard for you to accept criticism of your posts without making it personal?

Not that I care really, but it’s just really odd.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 08:55:06 AM by Fluffy Blue Monster »

Goose

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 16, 2022, 09:03:13 AM »
Fluff

You are right, WTF do I care when you post most frequently. Post away!!

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 16, 2022, 09:04:03 AM »
Fluff

You are right, WTF do I care when you post most frequently. Post away!!

Have a nice day Goose!

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 16, 2022, 09:11:47 AM »
Lol loved the tweet with him dancing….. great attitude and leader
I imagine that nolongerwarriors loved that, too, very, very much. Sadly, we'll never know because, as seems to happen after every MU win, he was suddenly disconnected from the internet.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 18, 2022, 01:25:07 PM »
I’m in the make the shot crowd, especially with the officiating today.  Win some, lose some
i’m with you. (I’m also not convinced the intentional foul up 3 is the correct play, but I digress).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 01:30:30 PM by Viper »

Viper

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 18, 2022, 01:29:34 PM »
As a coach, you do what you believe would give you the highest probability of success. Shaka decided (and many other coaches would have decided) that the odds were better for Marquette to win if we had a 1-point lead and a few more tenths of a second came off the clock and the inbounder couldn't run the baseline than if we had a 2-point lead and there were a few more tenths of a second on the clock and the inbounder could have run the baseline.

I happen to agree with Shaka, but I'm sure there are other coaches who would agree with you.

The result of Shaka's decision was a Marquette victory. Seton Hall didn't even catch the pass, let alone get off the shot. Ipso fatso, Shaka's decision ended up being correct.
didn’t ipso fatso live in the Blue House on n.18th?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 18, 2022, 01:56:21 PM »
ipso fatso

Archie Bunker, 704 Hauser St, used to say it all the time.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 18, 2022, 03:10:20 PM »
Archie Bunker, 704 Hauser St, used to say it all the time.
prior, my attempt at humor. btw, Archie Bunker on Hauser Street. If only that show had been set in Milwaukee.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 18, 2022, 07:17:22 PM »
prior, my attempt at humor. btw, Archie Bunker on Hauser Street. If only that show had been set in Milwaukee.

I actually looked up on Zillow the house that they show during the credits a few years ago. Its value at the time was over $600k. Probably over $700k now.

Not a bad investment for a forklift driver.
Have some patience, FFS.