collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf 2022  (Read 70413 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Golf 2022
« Reply #500 on: June 08, 2022, 03:27:28 PM »
"washed up pros" no longer plays with recent additions. 

Bryson was a top 10 player before he's recently been sidelined.

Patrick Reed is still a top 30 ranked player who was top 10 less than 2 years ago and is only 31.

Rickie has been in a slump but you're still talking 6 major top 10s in the last 5 seasons.

I would have agreed with you until the names started coming in this week.  And that would lead me to believe more are listening.

Bryson moves the needle.  That said even if LIV gets some young guns and top 20 players I'm pretty doubtful they'll get a TV contract.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #501 on: June 08, 2022, 03:29:01 PM »
Wags

I am sure there will be more guys making the jump, but I think it might be more damaging by number of guys lost vs. quality of guys lost. Virtually every guy that jumped was outed months ago and only DJ has been a somewhat surprise. I have no idea who their next desired whale could be that is possibility to nab and think they will poach the Pat Perez, Matt Kuchar, Tommy Fleetwood's of the tour.

Have they announced what the cut off number of guys is going to be? If they keep getting guys, there is going to be a need for larger field or more events. I am sure the guys would love playing a shotgun with two groups per hole. This thing has been poorly organized, and I can see US guys getting frustrated quickly.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #502 on: June 08, 2022, 03:41:54 PM »
Bryson moves the needle.  That said even if LIV gets some young guns and top 20 players I'm pretty doubtful they'll get a TV contract.

They have a ways to go, but its just not DJ, Graeme McDowell, Koepka's brother, and a bunch of also rans anymore.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #503 on: June 08, 2022, 03:43:44 PM »
"washed up pros" no longer plays with recent additions. 

Bryson was a top 10 player before he's recently been sidelined.

Patrick Reed is still a top 30 ranked player who was top 10 less than 2 years ago and is only 31.

Rickie has been in a slump but you're still talking 6 major top 10s in the last 5 seasons.

I would have agreed with you until the names started coming in this week.  And that would lead me to believe more are listening.

Rickie hasn’t seriously contended in a major since the ‘18 Masters and even that was a second place finish from way behind.  His game is trash.  He’s not exempt into any major at the moment.

Bryson’s body has begun its slow decline into unreliability.  The only name that’s jumped that I’ll miss is DJ.  Nobody on tour will miss Patrick Reed and his wife
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #504 on: June 08, 2022, 03:45:36 PM »
Wags

I am sure there will be more guys making the jump, but I think it might be more damaging by number of guys lost vs. quality of guys lost. Virtually every guy that jumped was outed months ago and only DJ has been a somewhat surprise. I have no idea who their next desired whale could be that is possibility to nab and think they will poach the Pat Perez, Matt Kuchar, Tommy Fleetwood's of the tour.

Have they announced what the cut off number of guys is going to be? If they keep getting guys, there is going to be a need for larger field or more events. I am sure the guys would love playing a shotgun with two groups per hole. This thing has been poorly organized, and I can see US guys getting frustrated quickly.

It’s supposed to be 48 Guy fields with 12 4-man teams that can be adjusted which allows for guys like Flower, Cheat and Dechaurtrixe to join and jettison the also-rans
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #505 on: June 08, 2022, 08:59:36 PM »
PGA may have over played their hand and may have to re-think their position.  now that a few upper echelon golfers have committed to LIV, one has to think the others are taking  2nd look.  if a zalatoris or hovland leave, there's more than smoke

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #506 on: June 08, 2022, 09:41:27 PM »
For guys like Chase Koepka, sure. The giant purse will definitely be a motivator.

But, for the stars (Phil, DJ, Bryson), they are getting their fat check no matter what. Are these guys going to be grinding it out for extra LIV money, no way. That's why they are joining LIV in the first place. It is all about the guaranteed money.
I get it it and you make sense but isn't that an issue in every sport with guaranteed money? Just in golf, Tiger and Phil could have stopped playing or just "mailed it in" after say 4 majors. They were set for life. The prize money wasn't huge but they loved to compete. Same with Jordan, Lebron, Brady, Manning, Bonds (cheater), Jeter, etc.

That said, there are plenty of guys who did go on cruise control after getting the guaranteed money. Your point does have merit.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #507 on: June 09, 2022, 08:23:54 AM »
Bryson gets $100 million guaranteed from LIV. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #508 on: June 09, 2022, 08:36:07 AM »
I saw the LIV promo with Dennis Quaid.

Uhh...super creepy.   

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #509 on: June 09, 2022, 09:03:28 AM »

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #510 on: June 09, 2022, 09:56:18 AM »
LIV commercial aired showing Bubba Watson, so I'm sure more pro's are going.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #511 on: June 09, 2022, 10:29:38 AM »
drip drip drip...frog says hey! it's getting hot in here...smells like chicken ;)

don't think the PGA wants to get stuck in a "watch this, hold my beer" moment

wouldn't be surprised if PGA announces some changes to it's format...kinda like..."so there"
don't...don't don't don't don't

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #512 on: June 09, 2022, 10:33:18 AM »
LIV guys officially suspended, won't be allowed sponsor exemptions.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id/34063037/pga-tour-suspends-all-players-taking-part-first-liv-golf-tournament

Obviously there will be lawsuits galore.  For some time it appears we will have somewhat of a s-show.  But again, I can't see LIV ever getting a real TV contract.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #513 on: June 09, 2022, 10:41:41 AM »
  They are taking a lot of guaranteed money.   And it will, for a while, be easier golf, almost like the silly season now.   It will fundamentally change professional golf as we have known it.   

It will be a while before I watch LIV.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #514 on: June 09, 2022, 11:05:02 AM »
Obviously there will be lawsuits galore.  For some time it appears we will have somewhat of a s-show.  But again, I can't see LIV ever getting a real TV contract.

What would be the basis of a lawsuit? It seems a pretty clear violation of their tour contracts, so much so that many of these guys are resigning from the PGA.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #515 on: June 09, 2022, 11:19:55 AM »
I don’t know what a “real” television contract is, but my guess is the Saudis will offer up something for free. If the viewers follow, they will get paid.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #516 on: June 09, 2022, 11:28:02 AM »
  They are taking a lot of guaranteed money.   And it will, for a while, be easier golf, almost like the silly season now.   It will fundamentally change professional golf as we have known it.   

It will be a while before I watch LIV.

Yup, I sure won’t be watching any of it

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #517 on: June 09, 2022, 11:41:01 AM »
The media's reaction so far is interesting.  On ESPN, foxsports, and golf.com, tons of stories about the PGA suspensions and what LIV means, but you can't find the leaderboard or coverage of the actual event. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #518 on: June 09, 2022, 11:44:49 AM »
It'll be interesting to see how some of these players are greeted if they play the US Open.
Brookline crowds aren't exactly known for their restraint.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #519 on: June 09, 2022, 11:48:03 AM »
I don’t know what a “real” television contract is, but my guess is the Saudis will offer up something for free. If the viewers follow, they will get paid.
They gave DAZN "free, non-exclusive rights" so I presume free until someone wants to pay for the rights. Seems unlikely any major American network will want to get involved in the near future.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #520 on: June 09, 2022, 12:09:58 PM »
The only major network would be Fox, right? Now that they don’t have the US Open, do they have any ties to the current golf landscape?

ABC is connected based on ESPN televising the PGA Chanpionship. NBC and CBS are tied very closely to the PGA Tour.

Granted, a conflict with the PGA Tour is only one reason to not televise. I’m assuming the human rights issue would keep Fox from televising. I wonder if a Spike TV type of network would show it.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #521 on: June 09, 2022, 02:25:47 PM »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #522 on: June 09, 2022, 05:05:32 PM »
Rory say the LIV payments are made upfront. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/61740384
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #523 on: June 09, 2022, 05:40:57 PM »
Rory say the LIV payments are made upfront. 

https://www.bbc.com/sport/golf/61740384

Given that LIV only exists as long as MBS is in power, it would be pretty dumb for the agents not to demand this.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #524 on: June 09, 2022, 07:05:01 PM »
What would be the basis of a lawsuit? It seems a pretty clear violation of their tour contracts, so much so that many of these guys are resigning from the PGA.

I'm no expert but for those that haven't quit the PGA tour I would think they will file lawsuits.    I expect this to be a circus for quite some time.  If young guns bolt it could be a total dumpster fire.  I'm actually surprised there hasn't been more harsh words from the PGA players.

Maybe Goose can tell us what we missed today as far as the LIV coverage?