collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf 2022  (Read 70335 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: Golf 2022
« Reply #450 on: June 07, 2022, 08:00:38 PM »
As of now, any American choosing LIV is also choosing to not to represent the US in the Ryder Cup

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #451 on: June 07, 2022, 08:02:26 PM »
As of now, any American choosing LIV is also choosing to not to represent the US in the Ryder Cup

Lot of the European players were loudmouths through the years about how the Ryder Cup meant more to them than majors and winning tournaments look like the phonies they were
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #452 on: June 07, 2022, 08:04:37 PM »
Lot of the European players were loudmouths through the years about how the Ryder Cup meant more to them than majors and winning tournaments look like the phonies they were

Very good point Uncle R.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #453 on: June 07, 2022, 08:49:27 PM »

The phony restaurateur from South Florida is at the top of that list.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #454 on: June 07, 2022, 09:14:56 PM »
The phony restaurateur from South Florida is at the top of that list.

Excuse my ignorance but who are we talking about here?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #455 on: June 07, 2022, 09:27:06 PM »
Or is it the Ryder Cup team choosing not to have LIV players represent the US? 

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #456 on: June 07, 2022, 09:39:38 PM »
Excuse my ignorance but who are we talking about here?

Graeme McDowell

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #457 on: June 07, 2022, 10:48:53 PM »
Graeme McDowell

It appears he sold out.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #458 on: June 08, 2022, 07:15:55 AM »
Tiger turns down close to a billion dollars to just join.

Phil gets 200M

Now it looks like the below are all leaving PGA:
Bryson
Patrick Reed
Ricky Fowler

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #459 on: June 08, 2022, 07:16:36 AM »

Phil gets 200M

Bryson
Patrick Reed
Ricky Fowler

Just gross

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #460 on: June 08, 2022, 07:27:15 AM »
Just gross

But, wait, I thought Captain America lived and breathed the Ryder Cup?

Gross is correct.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #461 on: June 08, 2022, 07:32:28 AM »

Phil gets 200M

Bryson
Patrick Reed
Ricky Fowler
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10896587/Bryson-DeChambeau-Patrick-Reed-join-Saudi-backed-200m-LIV-Series.html
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #462 on: June 08, 2022, 07:38:13 AM »
Just gross

Am I imagining things......didn't Decharcuterie say last week he couldn't risk leaving the PGA tour?  This is despicable.  I did think LIV could be a threat but thought the vast majority of top young players would not completely sell out.  Especially after the Phil backlash.  Bryson leaving is a huge deal.  Can the Masters alone ban them?  Can an alliance be formed from the other tours to ban them from majors?  This literally could destroy the sport for awhile.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #463 on: June 08, 2022, 07:58:10 AM »
I will say that the PGA's initial reaction of threatening to ban people, etc. was not a smart one.  They should have used this as a call to reform and listen to the players.  Instead they just set themselves up to not being able to match what the Saudis were eventually going to offer.

Especially since the USGA has said that LIV golfers can play in the US Open.  What if The Open follows suit?  And if the Masters wants these guys in the field, they are going to be in the field.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #464 on: June 08, 2022, 08:31:33 AM »
Am I imagining things......didn't Decharcuterie say last week he couldn't risk leaving the PGA tour?  This is despicable.  I did think LIV could be a threat but thought the vast majority of top young players would not completely sell out.  Especially after the Phil backlash.  Bryson leaving is a huge deal.  Can the Masters alone ban them?  Can an alliance be formed from the other tours to ban them from majors?  This literally could destroy the sport for awhile.

I believe the sport is going to enter a period of great upheaval and the money that’s involved currently with be the last of the fat cat days.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #465 on: June 08, 2022, 09:25:49 AM »
But, wait, I thought Captain America lived and breathed the Ryder Cup?

Gross is correct.

Reed's weirdo wife probably loves beheadings so she pushed for it and we all know she's the driver.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #466 on: June 08, 2022, 09:28:19 AM »
It feels like LIV is cornering the market on the unlikable golfers.

It makes sense for Rickie to go for the cash grab based on his struggles lately.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #467 on: June 08, 2022, 09:35:05 AM »
PGA may have over played their hand and may have to re-think their position.  now that a few upper echelon golfers have committed to LIV, one has to think the others are taking  2nd look.  if a zalatoris or hovland leave, there's more than smoke
don't...don't don't don't don't

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #468 on: June 08, 2022, 09:37:00 AM »
gotta wonder with bryson going LIV, does koepka stay home?  :D
don't...don't don't don't don't

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #469 on: June 08, 2022, 09:41:31 AM »
I will say that the PGA's initial reaction of threatening to ban people, etc. was not a smart one.  They should have used this as a call to reform and listen to the players.  Instead they just set themselves up to not being able to match what the Saudis were eventually going to offer.

Especially since the USGA has said that LIV golfers can play in the US Open.  What if The Open follows suit?  And if the Masters wants these guys in the field, they are going to be in the field.

The problem is that the Tour doesn't have the ability to offer what the Saudis are. The LIV money is not tied to any market factors (corporate sponsors, tv deals, etc.), so they have been able to completely change the compensation model.

Sure, the Tour could have made additional reforms (and they have, see the PIP money). However, LIV could just offer more cash. And, that's what's this all about, no matter the spin from Greg Norman. Players leaving the Tour to make more money, and more importantly for the big names, that money is no longer tied to how they actually perform on the course. DJ can finish dead-last in every LIV event, he's still getting $125 million.

The Saudis could have sports washed with a number of different sports. Unfortunately, for the Tour, they chose men's professional golf.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #470 on: June 08, 2022, 09:49:18 AM »
It feels like LIV is cornering the market on the unlikable golfers.

Totally. Was kind of bummed to see Oosthuizen on the list, he always seemed like a pretty good dude.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #471 on: June 08, 2022, 10:03:59 AM »
I hate to admit, but I am going to try watch the first couple holes tomorrow. As of now, it is the only coverage I plan to watch this season and I hope I stick to that. There is not enough there for me to get excited over, aside from possibly seeing history tomorrow AM.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #472 on: June 08, 2022, 10:06:51 AM »
The Saudis could have sports washed with a number of different sports. Unfortunately, for the Tour, they chose men's professional golf.

They've been trying for years.  Look at their soccer team purchases.  I think the PGA is the only major US based league that has the ability to be turned like that.  You don't need a full league worth of players like you would in other sports to have a comparable product.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #473 on: June 08, 2022, 10:11:18 AM »
They've been trying for years.  Look at their soccer team purchases.  I think the PGA is the only major US based league that has the ability to be turned like that.  You don't need a full league worth of players like you would in other sports to have a comparable product.

The only other I can think of is tennis. But I don’t know if the non-major tournament viewership makes it as attractive as golf.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #474 on: June 08, 2022, 10:30:48 AM »
The problem is that the Tour doesn't have the ability to offer what the Saudis are. The LIV money is not tied to any market factors (corporate sponsors, tv deals, etc.), so they have been able to completely change the compensation model.

Sure, the Tour could have made additional reforms (and they have, see the PIP money). However, LIV could just offer more cash. And, that's what's this all about, no matter the spin from Greg Norman. Players leaving the Tour to make more money, and more importantly for the big names, that money is no longer tied to how they actually perform on the course. DJ can finish dead-last in every LIV event, he's still getting $125 million.

Exactly.  I mean Chase Koepka could make more than Brooks Koepka for all we know.