collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf 2022  (Read 70346 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Golf 2022
« Reply #350 on: June 01, 2022, 03:36:32 AM »
Musta felt disrespected on da Tour, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #351 on: June 01, 2022, 05:50:11 AM »
must be a little greener in their pastures
don't...don't don't don't don't

🏀

• All American
« Reply #352 on: June 01, 2022, 06:41:31 AM »
Shocked they pulled DJ, but the field still sucks.

Word is an amateur for $6m to come play and $250k an event. Field will continue to get better and better.

The real losers? Golf fans.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #353 on: June 01, 2022, 01:43:50 PM »
https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3419752/dustin-johnsons-reported-payday-for-joining-liv-golf-a-cool-dollar150-million

Ridiculous money.....Take money and give up a legacy on PGA Tour?

If Johnson stays on this tour he should be a top 10 or a winner in almost every tournament up against the other mediocre players who have signed on. 

Does he stay with LIV or go back to PGA Tour?  PGA Tour Commish Monahan about to go nuclear/DEFCON one with anyone signing with LIV. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #354 on: June 01, 2022, 01:54:37 PM »
https://www.barstoolsports.com/blog/3419752/dustin-johnsons-reported-payday-for-joining-liv-golf-a-cool-dollar150-million

Ridiculous money.....Take money and give up a legacy on PGA Tour?

If Johnson stays on this tour he should be a top 10 or a winner in almost every tournament up against the other mediocre players who have signed on. 

Does he stay with LIV or go back to PGA Tour?  PGA Tour Commish Monahan about to go nuclear/DEFCON one with anyone signing with LIV.

DJ never struck me as a guy too concerned about his legacy. He seems like he’d be fine going wherever he gets paid the most.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #355 on: June 01, 2022, 02:34:26 PM »
DJ never struck me as a guy too concerned about his legacy. He seems like he’d be fine going wherever he gets paid the most.

Not to mention his legacy is pretty strong.  A Masters and a US Open.  5th longest ever at #1.  2 time POY, bunch of WGC wins.  He's never catching Tiger or Jack, so the career major Grand Slam is all that he'd really be missing out on.  Thats a huge payday to forgo that.

Has the R&A spoken on the LIV yet?  Could he still play The Open Championship?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #356 on: June 01, 2022, 03:16:55 PM »
Not counting his family and friends, there aren't a dozen people who watch PGA Tour events because of Dustin Johnson.

I hope he enjoys the dough.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #357 on: June 01, 2022, 03:33:55 PM »
Not counting his family and friends, there aren't a dozen people who watch PGA Tour events because of Dustin Johnson.

I hope he enjoys the dough.

Thats a patently ridiculous statement.  Nobody tunes in to watch the most consistently great player of the last decade who hits absolute bombs off the tee and is married to the attention grabbing daughter of a legendary athlete.  Maybe if you said that about Louis Oosthuizen or Schwartzel.  I have 2 friends alone that are casual to moderate golf fans, former Tiger fanatics, who switched allegiance to DJ and closely follow him in every decent sized tourney.

Unless its some silly "people only follow golf because of him" hypothetical.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #358 on: June 01, 2022, 06:09:39 PM »
McIlroy said it best with a reaction of indifference. It's not a great field and outside of one or two names it makes total sense for guys whose prime is gone to do something other than rack up a crap ton of losses in their 40s. 

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #359 on: June 01, 2022, 07:58:40 PM »
how can the pga tour command such a "monopolistic" attitude?  i may be answering my own question here, but it must have something to do with what they sign on to, but still...monahan is speaking like he's afraid the liv thing may have them by the short ones.

i realize the pga players need to play so many events to stay qualified, but what happens to the exemptions they've earned?  what about the ryder cup? 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #360 on: June 01, 2022, 08:07:23 PM »
how can the pga tour command such a "monopolistic" attitude?  i may be answering my own question here, but it must have something to do with what they sign on to, but still...monahan is speaking like he's afraid the liv thing may have them by the short ones.

If it's true DJ is getting $150 m for playing the LIV there has to be some concern from the PGA. 

i realize the pga players need to play so many events to stay qualified, but what happens to the exemptions they've earned?  what about the ryder cup?

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #361 on: June 01, 2022, 08:13:43 PM »

if dj is getting $150 m, golf events shortened to 3 days, umm, he's not going to go hungry

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #362 on: June 01, 2022, 08:28:43 PM »
  if dj is getting $150 m, golf events shortened to 3 days, umm, he's not going to go hungry

True.  But I think this whole thing is ignominious and embarrassing.  I'm not saying the PGA hasn't made mistakes or are as pure as snow, but Norman's comments in particular infuriated me.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #363 on: June 01, 2022, 10:03:40 PM »
Thats a patently ridiculous statement.  Nobody tunes in to watch the most consistently great player of the last decade who hits absolute bombs off the tee and is married to the attention grabbing daughter of a legendary athlete.  Maybe if you said that about Louis Oosthuizen or Schwartzel.  I have 2 friends alone that are casual to moderate golf fans, former Tiger fanatics, who switched allegiance to DJ and closely follow him in every decent sized tourney.

Unless its some silly "people only follow golf because of him" hypothetical.

OK, Wags. I still don't believe the masses are gathering in front of their TVs on a non-major golf weekend to watch Dustin Johnson, but maybe I'm missing something. Have a good one.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 10:43:34 PM by MU82 »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #364 on: June 01, 2022, 11:30:17 PM »
OK, Wags. I still don't believe the masses are gathering in front of their TVs on a non-major golf weekend to watch Dustin Johnson, but maybe I'm missing something. Have a good one.

But thats not what you said.  You went from "nobody cares about Dustin Johnson" to "Dustin Johnson isn't bringing huge ratings to The John Deere Invitational".

I feel like its just a faulty comparison to Tiger that bred a bunch of Tiger fans who weren't otherwise golf fans.  And as a golf obsessed teen during Tiger's peak, I think people misremember the Tiger fervor for a random mid summer tourney.  The majors and the lead up?  1000%.  But I remember sitting in clubhouses where tournies would be on and it was just background noise, maybe the occasional "how is Tiger doing?", but quite less engaged than a local MLB team's random series, for example.

Golf, and the PGA Tour, still have a very healthy following and DJ has been a big driver of that for years.  There is a reason he gets $10-15MM in endorsements.  He isn't Luke Donald or Billy Horschel.  He's a name and he's a draw, which is why LIV pushed hard for him.

You think he's a liar and the LIV tour is distasteful, which is fine, no need to add a hot take to it.

The peripheral stuff will be what is interesting.  The Open Championship, the Ryder Cup, hell the US Open/USGA has always had its rivalry with the PGA of America, where does that all shake out.

panda

• All American
« Reply #365 on: June 02, 2022, 07:56:55 AM »
But thats not what you said.  You went from "nobody cares about Dustin Johnson" to "Dustin Johnson isn't bringing huge ratings to The John Deere Invitational".

I feel like its just a faulty comparison to Tiger that bred a bunch of Tiger fans who weren't otherwise golf fans.  And as a golf obsessed teen during Tiger's peak, I think people misremember the Tiger fervor for a random mid summer tourney.  The majors and the lead up?  1000%.  But I remember sitting in clubhouses where tournies would be on and it was just background noise, maybe the occasional "how is Tiger doing?", but quite less engaged than a local MLB team's random series, for example.

Golf, and the PGA Tour, still have a very healthy following and DJ has been a big driver of that for years.  There is a reason he gets $10-15MM in endorsements.  He isn't Luke Donald or Billy Horschel.  He's a name and he's a draw, which is why LIV pushed hard for him.

You think he's a liar and the LIV tour is distasteful, which is fine, no need to add a hot take to it.

The peripheral stuff will be what is interesting.  The Open Championship, the Ryder Cup, hell the US Open/USGA has always had its rivalry with the PGA of America, where does that all shake out.

DJ is a star. Not the biggest star, but a highly marketable name - It's like saying people don't tune into the NBA playoffs to enjoy Jayson Tatum.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #366 on: June 02, 2022, 09:27:29 AM »

OK, that's what I'm saying now. You never clarify or amend something you've previously said? I obviously was using hyperbole in my "dozen" comment, which you obviously knew. Jeesh, officer.

I believe that few casual golf fans are tuning into any non-major PGA event because Dustin Johnson happens to be playing in it. That's my take, and I don't think it's a very hot one.

In addition to Tiger, DJ ranks WAAAY behind the likes of Rory McIlroy and Jordan Spieth, not to mention Bryson DeChambeau on the radar of most casual golf fans.

And yes, he's a liar.

I'll be among those rooting against him -- and I'm sure that'll bother him a lot while he counts his blood money. (McIlroy's term, not mine, though I approve of it.)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #367 on: June 02, 2022, 09:27:51 AM »

I'm with you. Johnson is a wet drip personality whose most interesting exploits are off the course.

The story here is will $125 be enough to swallow going from an independent contractor with complete freedom to just another ho-hum indentured employee in the House of Saud? Johnson lacks the fiber that makes this compromise seem ideal.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #368 on: June 02, 2022, 09:40:42 AM »
I'm with you. Johnson is a wet drip personality whose most interesting exploits are off the course.

The story here is will $125 be enough to swallow going from an independent contractor with complete freedom to just another ho-hum indentured employee in the House of Saud? Johnson lacks the fiber that makes this compromise seem ideal.

You know who else is a wet drip personality?  Tiger Woods

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #369 on: June 02, 2022, 10:09:56 AM »
True, except for when he's at Perkin's.  8-)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #370 on: June 02, 2022, 04:52:48 PM »

No. There's a difference between a wet drip personality and a mother unnatural carnal knowledgeing assassin.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #371 on: June 02, 2022, 04:58:30 PM »
Just got done with 90 holes in 3 days.   Beautiful Northern Michigan.   I highly recommend it.    This was a lesser known resort, but the accomodations were pleasant and the staff was aggressively friendly.    Great views.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #372 on: June 02, 2022, 05:06:17 PM »
No. There's a difference between a wet drip personality and a mother unnatural carnal knowledgeing assassin.

People who weren’t golf fans tuned into to see Tiger.  People who hated Tiger tuned in to watch Tiger.  That’s what made Tiger the force he was as well as being so damn good.

LIV Golf doesn’t have that guy.  Greg Norman has wanted to ruin the PGA Tour since his world golf tour idea in the mid-90’s was co-opted by the tour.  If LIV golf succeeds, it’ll destroy the professional game like the IRL/Cart split destroyed open wheel in this country.  The majors don’t know it yet, but Norman would be happy watching them twist in the wind, too.  My hope is, he’s too incompetent to pull this off and he might be but the amount of money is too much methinks.  People can argue competetion is good for the sport but a lot of people are about to be scrambling to save tournaments and jobs
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #373 on: June 02, 2022, 06:24:54 PM »
Just got done with 90 holes in 3 days.   Beautiful Northern Michigan.   I highly recommend it.    This was a lesser known resort, but the accomodations were pleasant and the staff was aggressively friendly.    Great views.

What was the name of the resort, tower? I'm looking for a buddy golf trip in Michigan, if not this year, next.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #374 on: June 02, 2022, 06:30:16 PM »
People who weren’t golf fans tuned into to see Tiger.  People who hated Tiger tuned in to watch Tiger.  That’s what made Tiger the force he was as well as being so damn good.

LIV Golf doesn’t have that guy.  Greg Norman has wanted to ruin the PGA Tour since his world golf tour idea in the mid-90’s was co-opted by the tour.  If LIV golf succeeds, it’ll destroy the professional game like the IRL/Cart split destroyed open wheel in this country.  The majors don’t know it yet, but Norman would be happy watching them twist in the wind, too.  My hope is, he’s too incompetent to pull this off and he might be but the amount of money is too much methinks.  People can argue competetion is good for the sport but a lot of people are about to be scrambling to save tournaments and jobs
Do we know if LIV has any broadcast deals?
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire