collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf 2022  (Read 70421 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Golf 2022
« Reply #100 on: February 20, 2022, 07:57:16 AM »
Lots of folks (NBA, politicians, business leaders, etc.) in bed with the murderous CCP but I haven’t seen any outrage here. Puzzling.

I'm often outraged by these people Lenny and have shared this many times.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #101 on: February 20, 2022, 08:31:43 AM »
Lots of folks (NBA, politicians, business leaders, etc.) in bed with the murderous CCP but I haven’t seen any outrage here. Puzzling.

It’s not that puzzling. Let’s just look at golf in regards to China and Saudi.

The PGA TOUR has one event in China, a limited field event. It’s been cancelled the last two seasons.

It’s not funded by the CCP at all. It’s funded entirely by HSBC, a major PGA TOUR sponsor.

The CCP doesn’t believe in golf as a sport and is systematically eliminating courses on the mainland. The CCP doesn’t want the PGA TOUR or the publicity that comes with it.

Let’s look at the Saudis. MBS bought the Asian Tour for $200m, well over it’s worth for it’s framework and OWGR standing.
They pay seven digit appearance fees to golfers to play one event in Saudi a year.

MBS is now promising $120m to Phil, Bryson, DJ to join his league. A league of mostly washed-up golfers that are looking for their last payday.

Perfect situation for guys like Phil, who just had to sell his Gulfstream. Or Sergio Garcia who’s career is quickly coming to an end.

Why is MBS throwing a billion dollars to start a 20-man golf league? He’s growing the game, right? He’s not trying to sport-wash the Saudi Kingdom? He’s not taking the same route they played in the Premiere League, right?

Phil, Bryson and anyone that joins the Saudi league are directly taking the blood money, which is entirely different than the WGC HSBC Championship in China.

It’s so painfully obvious, only the blatantly ignorant would defend.

Add in the new avenue for MBS to funnel money to Trump and it’s even worse.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #102 on: February 20, 2022, 08:43:35 AM »
What’s even a worse look for Phil is he could stay in the States, play the bloated, subsidized Champions Tour and make an easy $7-8m for the next ten years.

Or he could have continued to be a fan-favorite by replacing Faldo in the booth for a seven-digit payday and play on the Champions Tour.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #103 on: February 20, 2022, 09:25:12 AM »
What’s even a worse look for Phil is he could stay in the States, play the bloated, subsidized Champions Tour and make an easy $7-8m for the next ten years.

Or he could have continued to be a fan-favorite by replacing Faldo in the booth for a seven-digit payday and play on the Champions Tour.

He needs to pay off his large gambling debts now, not later.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #104 on: February 20, 2022, 09:25:45 AM »
I hope Phil and the boys that leave the Tour have a tremendous backlash against them, especially from their sponsors. Phil pretty much was guaranteed to mop up on endorsements for the remainder of his life, a much bigger payday than the new league, and I hope he gets spanked around a bit. I love guys chasing money, but this new league really bothers me. The backers, Norman's involvement and claim that the Tour does not take care of the guys is enough for me to believe it is not a league to be associated with.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2022, 09:30:29 AM »
I do think it is understandable why the top players are irked with the tour.  Too many dates.  Too many rounds.  It is running a 1960s era schedule in 2022. 

But yeah this is a poor alternative regardless of Saudi involvement.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2022, 09:33:10 AM »
I hope Phil and the boys that leave the Tour have a tremendous backlash against them, especially from their sponsors. Phil pretty much was guaranteed to mop up on endorsements for the remainder of his life, a much bigger payday than the new league, and I hope he gets spanked around a bit. I love guys chasing money, but this new league really bothers me. The backers, Norman's involvement and claim that the Tour does not take care of the guys is enough for me to believe it is not a league to be associated with.

Norman tried this in the early-to-mid 90’s.  He had Fox Sports lined up to televise his rival league, too.  Arnold Palmer was approached to be part of it and said no and the rest of the tour at the time followed his lead.  This ended up leading to the World Golf Championships.  Originally, the WGCs were supposed to travel the world, but the top Americans didn’t want that and the events largely ended up statying in the US.

Norman has held a grudge ever since, so his involvement isn’t a surprise.  The WGCs became a money grab for the top players and guaranteed world ranking points.  Phil didn’t play in all of them.  Interesting dynamic

🏀

• All American
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2022, 09:53:39 AM »
I do think it is understandable why the top players are irked with the tour.  Too many dates.  Too many rounds.  It is running a 1960s era schedule in 2022. 

But yeah this is a poor alternative regardless of Saudi involvement.

The players control their own schedule, they can play as little or as much as they want.

I agree the top players should be pissed about the equity of the entire organization. Reports are saying TOUR is looking at changing that with a new Fall format that will feature the top-40 in a team-based series. Essentially ripping off the PGL model, but smaller.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #108 on: February 20, 2022, 09:56:12 AM »
At least Dustin Johnson has a conscious.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #109 on: February 20, 2022, 09:56:43 AM »
DJ released a statement saying he’s committed to the PGA Tour.  He was widely expected to take the Saudi money.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #110 on: February 20, 2022, 12:04:29 PM »
Phil's big issue is that he's out on an island at the minute. Guys like Thomas, Rahm, Koepka, Morikawa, Rory and Spieth have all dismissed the SGL. Phil's hammering the PGA Tour, but the Tour's present and future is not jumping aboard his rebellion. This hallows out his argument, even if he may have valid points on how the Tour handles player compensation, bonuses, media rights and NFTs.

I think Phil's big issue is that he has only received $800+ million since he started playing on the PGA tour. They have taken advantage of him.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #111 on: February 20, 2022, 01:52:01 PM »
Bryson is out on the SGL

Looks like Phil will have to rely on the geriatrics

tower912

• All American
« Reply #112 on: February 20, 2022, 02:00:21 PM »
So is DJ.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #113 on: February 20, 2022, 02:06:30 PM »
Bryson is such a douche, Phil’s world is collapsing.

Kokrak next out?

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #114 on: February 20, 2022, 02:09:43 PM »
Phil twisting in the wind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #115 on: February 20, 2022, 02:25:58 PM »
Scott hooked his tee shot on 10 all of the way to Riyadh.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

🏀

• All American
« Reply #116 on: February 20, 2022, 02:30:35 PM »
Scott hooked his tee shot on 10 all of the way to Riyadh.

Please tell me it’s in the porta potty.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #117 on: February 21, 2022, 07:23:39 AM »
Rory McIlroy didn't hold back on Phil Mickelson on Sunday, criticizing the Hall of Fame golfer for his scathing comments about the PGA Tour that were reported last week and how he admitted using the proposed new league backed by Greg Norman to create leverage against the Tour.

https://www.si.com/golf/news/2022-rory-mcilroy-speaks-out-against-phil-mickelson-about-pga-tour?utm_source=Iterable&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=morning-read-newsletter-&date=2022-02-21

Speaking after the final round of the Genesis Invitational, McIlroy — who in early 2020 stated his intention to remain with the PGA Tour — said he was happy to see that both Dustin Johnson and Bryson DeChambeau will continue to play on the PGA Tour.

Then he was asked about what Mickelson said in a phone conversation with writer Alan Shipnuck, which appeared last week on the Fire Pit Collective.

“I don't want to kick someone while he's down, obviously, but I thought they were naive, selfish, egotistical, ignorant," McIlroy told reporters. “A lot of words to describe that interaction he had with (writer Alan) Shipnuck. It was just very surprising and disappointing, sad. I'm sure he's sitting at home sort of rethinking his position and where he goes from here."

Good thing Rory didn't want to kick Mickelson when he was down! But Rory's comments were in line with what most pros seem to think of Mickelson's willingness to sell out to the Saudis.

Also, look who else is (unsurprisingly) embracing Saudi thugs ...

Former president Donald Trump’s company is angling to host events at his golf courses for the controversial Saudi golf league, according to three people familiar with the matter, potentially handing Trump a lucrative business partnership with an oppressive regime he defended as president.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/02/19/trump-saudi-arabia-golf/?utm_campaign=wp_post_most&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&wpisrc=nl_most&carta-url=https%3A%2F%2Fs2.washingtonpost.com%2Fcar-ln-tr%2F361b841%2F621270349d2fda34e79e33bd%2F5f8d147cae7e8a56e5b732a4%2F43%2F72%2F621270349d2fda34e79e33bd

At least two of Trump’s courses in Bedminster, N.J., and Doral, Fla., could be named as sites for the nascent tour, according to the people familiar with the talks, who like others spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal deliberations. Officials from LIV Golf Investments, the apparatus funded by the Saudis to host the tour, have held conversations with the Trump Organization, these people said.

One of the people familiar with the matter said Trump had spoken to Greg Norman, the head of LIV Golf Investments, about having his properties involved in the tour.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

🏀

• All American
« Reply #118 on: February 21, 2022, 09:23:03 AM »
Just wait until Alan's Phil biography comes out. The Saudi comments are supposedly not even close to the bombshells coming.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #119 on: February 21, 2022, 11:37:33 AM »
Just wait until Alan's Phil biography comes out. The Saudi comments are supposedly not even close to the bombshells coming.

Billy Walters is writing a book with Armen Keteyian about Phil’s gambling habits

tower912

• All American
« Reply #120 on: February 21, 2022, 12:48:08 PM »
Oakland Hills to build an exact replica of its now charred clubhouse.   

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #121 on: February 21, 2022, 01:44:22 PM »
So, is the SGL still going to launch the week of The Players? Only two weeks away. Or, was yesterday the end? IMO, the SGL absolutely needed Bryson and DJ for any semblance of golfing legitimacy.

Does Phil still go? Or, does he come crawling back to The Tour? What a debacle for him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #122 on: February 21, 2022, 01:59:04 PM »
It sure felt like a stake through the heart at Riviera for the SGL.   

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #123 on: February 21, 2022, 02:05:41 PM »
So, is the SGL still going to launch the week of The Players? Only two weeks away. Or, was yesterday the end? IMO, the SGL absolutely needed Bryson and DJ for any semblance of golfing legitimacy.

Does Phil still go? Or, does he come crawling back to The Tour? What a debacle for him.

It isn’t dead.  The soon-to-be 50 crowd of Westwood and Stenson want the money.  I can see Aussies supporting Norman.  I don’t think Adam Scott is opposed to it.  A few lesser Americans like Jason Kokrak were involved, too
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 02:07:18 PM by Uncle Rico »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #124 on: February 21, 2022, 02:11:56 PM »
Yeah, so far it is the older Euros and Internationals along with Phil.   

feedback