[Today at 04:10:59 PM]

NIL Future by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:56:29 PM]

Shaka's 2023-2024 Season Accomplishments by LloydsLegs
[Today at 02:48:52 PM]

MU Gear by MUfan12
[Today at 01:31:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf 2022  (Read 69609 times)

RJax55

• All American
Re: Golf 2022
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2022, 11:45:33 AM »
Devils advocate...despite the Saudi association, Phil makes a couple very good points regarding the PGA tour.  He could have definitely gone about it better and if he jumps ship to the Saudi league and nothing is done, then its a terrible look.  But still, some valid points brought up.

Phil's big issue is that he's out on an island at the minute. Guys like Thomas, Rahm, Koepka, Morikawa, Rory and Spieth have all dismissed the SGL. Phil's hammering the PGA Tour, but the Tour's present and future is not jumping aboard his rebellion. This hallows out his argument, even if he may have valid points on how the Tour handles player compensation, bonuses, media rights and NFTs.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2022, 11:53:15 AM »
Phil's big issue is that he's out on an island at the minute. Guys like Thomas, Rahm, Koepka, Morikawa, Rory and Spieth have all dismissed the SGL. Phil's hammering the PGA Tour, but the Tour's present and future is not jumping aboard his rebellion. This hallows out his argument, even if he may have valid points on how the Tour handles player compensation, bonuses, media rights and NFTs.

If you need to use blood money to make a point, your using that as a crutch.

The tour has a lot of issues.  FIGJAM has had a lot of opportunities through the years to vent these frustrations either through the media or being an active part of the PAC.  My sympathies for him are zero in this regard. 

Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

MU82

• All American
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2022, 12:52:39 PM »
I caddied in Phil’s fivesome at the 99 Western Open pro-am at Cog. It was a thrill to be in that group, Phil was nice to everyone in the group, and they definitely did bet a couple hundo on holes throughout the day.

Devils advocate...despite the Saudi association, Phil makes a couple very good points regarding the PGA tour.  He could have definitely gone about it better and if he jumps ship to the Saudi league and nothing is done, then its a terrible look.  But still, some valid points brought up.

I also wouldn't quite goes as far as to call Phil a "fraud".  He can be an arrogant cocky SOB who isn't well liked by fellow tour pros...but still be warm and friendly to fans/associated golf people and be well liked by them for a reason.  I have 10-12 positive interactions with Phil from myself and a few of my friends/former coworkers and none on the negative side, so YMMV.

As always, perceptions are very personal. How did he treat me, or my kid or some people I know ... that's what matters to each of us. And that's "fair" (for lack of better word).
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2022, 01:16:04 PM »

They are also still in their primes with tons of money and opportunity to be gained from playing nice with the PGA and sticking with it.  Pat Perez even said as much in his comments referring to Adam Scott and others who have interest in the SGL.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I think its just a bit different stakes/stages in the career.

If you need to use blood money to make a point, your using that as a crutch.

The tour has a lot of issues.  FIGJAM has had a lot of opportunities through the years to vent these frustrations either through the media or being an active part of the PAC.  My sympathies for him are zero in this regard. 

It doesn't have to be sympathy, just acknowledging that he has a point, regardless of how he's making it.

Further, in the past there has been no real viable alternative to the PGA Tour, its been like the NFL in that regard.  So there is no leverage to push back, plus social media rights and NFTs and the like weren't a critical touchpoint 5-10 years ago, so its more in focus now.

As always, perceptions are very personal. How did he treat me, or my kid or some people I know ... that's what matters to each of us. And that's "fair" (for lack of better word).

Ok, then share myriad instances of him being awful to fans/the public if its just perception?

Cause every time criticism of Phil come up, it always seems to revolve around FIGJAM or fellow pros not liking him.  Which reminds me of a former coworker I had who was an absolute DOUCHE and awful to work with.  Yet I encountered him fairly regularly a few years later through mutual acquaintances and he was a really nice guy, beloved by his group of friends, and a completely different person out of the office.  And that dude wasn't massively successful in a very competitive personal sport

🏀

• All American
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2022, 09:05:09 PM »
Phil works the fans, but he’s the exact opposite of a common Joe.

He’s an egotistical maniac. He thinks his NFT potential is in the billions. He is abandoning the exact system that made him the second highest earning golfer of all time to join the “really bad guys.”

He knows the Saudis murder journalists, homosexuals and political enemies. But since the Tour owns his media rights, he thinks he’s making the right decision?

He’s gone. Shame, would’ve been a great Ryder Cup captain.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2022, 09:51:29 PM »

Interesting that the few here who know the guy and have had interaction with him think he’s a great guy but the many here who don’t know him at all can’t wait to tell you that everybody hates him and he a total douche because that’s what they’ve heard fourth or fifth hand. Scoop at its best!

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2022, 09:59:44 PM »
Interesting that the few here who know the guy and have had interaction with him think he’s a great guy but the many here who don’t know him at all can’t wait to tell you that everybody hates him and he a total douche because that’s what they’ve heard fourth or fifth hand. Scoop at its best!

Big leap to "know" from "have had interaction."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #82 on: February 18, 2022, 10:01:09 PM »

Nobody here "knows" Phil Mickelson.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #83 on: February 18, 2022, 10:01:24 PM »
For many years we had a business relationship with Phil. Worked out well for all.

When he won The British Open we got to take pictures with the Claret Jug the day his plane returned to Carlsbad .

Phil has a business dispute with The PGA Tour and is making the most of the opportunities he has .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #84 on: February 18, 2022, 10:14:37 PM »
For many years we had a business relationship with Phil. Worked out well for all.

When he won The British Open we got to take pictures with the Claret Jug the day his plane returned to Carlsbad .

Phil has a business dispute with The PGA Tour and is making the most of the opportunities he has .

Yes, he’s in bed with a government that dismembers journalists and murders homosexuals but you got at pic with the Claret Jug.

Win-win

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #85 on: February 18, 2022, 10:17:04 PM »

I’m very confident this isn’t going to end well for the Phil defenders. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #86 on: February 18, 2022, 11:20:35 PM »
I’m very confident this isn’t going to end well for the Phil defenders.

I’m not sure who is “defending” his moves here.  I see his points but don’t think getting in bed with the Saudis is the right or defensible move.

People defending him not being a “fraud” and a decent guy to his fans/randoms as opposed to some raging ahole whenever not on camera aren’t going to suddenly be proven wrong by a money grab.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #87 on: February 18, 2022, 11:38:24 PM »
I’m not sure who is “defending” his moves here.  I see his points but don’t think getting in bed with the Saudis is the right or defensible move.

People defending him not being a “fraud” and a decent guy to his fans/randoms as opposed to some raging ahole whenever not on camera aren’t going to suddenly be proven wrong by a money grab.

Right, he’s a well-known fraud.

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #88 on: February 19, 2022, 01:26:35 AM »
I know someone who works at one of the famous courses, and get good gossip on all the pros.  Not a bad word was said about Phil.  He's nice to tournament volunteers when the camera is off regardless of whether he's had a good or bad round.  Do some pros not like him?  Sure, because he makes them look bad when he gives his thumbs-up to the fans after they've walked by with a sour puss look on their face.  And Phil knows it.

There are plenty of jerks on the tour (Koepka, Woods in his prime, Bubba Watson are 3 I've heard horror stories about) who lack even the most basic tenets of common courtesy or politeness, but Phil isn't one of them. 

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #89 on: February 19, 2022, 02:29:31 AM »
I know someone who knows Phil and he says he's a total a -h. Even worse, he's a right wing a--h---.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2022, 06:56:55 AM »
All write wingers are ass holes, aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

🏀

• All American
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2022, 07:03:22 AM »
Good thing Phil referred to himself as liberal aina?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2022, 09:37:08 AM »

MU82

• All American

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2022, 03:03:33 PM »

jutaw22mu

• All American
« Reply #95 on: February 19, 2022, 03:07:53 PM »
Figjam's done.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #96 on: February 19, 2022, 09:23:07 PM »
Yes, he’s in bed with a government that dismembers journalists and murders homosexuals but you got at pic with the Claret Jug.

Win-win

Lots of folks (NBA, politicians, business leaders, etc.) in bed with the murderous CCP but I haven’t seen any outrage here. Puzzling.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #97 on: February 19, 2022, 09:34:57 PM »
Lots of folks (NBA, politicians, business leaders, etc.) in bed with the murderous CCP but I haven’t seen any outrage here. Puzzling.

Lol. What?

You haven’t been reading very much then. Really, you’re trying THAT hard to make a point that you make such a laughably incorrect statement???
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #98 on: February 19, 2022, 09:44:32 PM »

Like the Trump family?

That’s pretty good whataboutism, I’ll give you that.  FIGJAM went out of his way to admit the horrors of the Saudi’s and yet has no problem dealing with them because he needs another big payday.

I guess his honesty over his lack of morals is commendable.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #99 on: February 20, 2022, 06:35:57 AM »
Yeah, I don't get what Lennys point is.  (Per usual.)  Apparently he thinks that you aren't allowed to point out the atrocities committed by any country unless you point them all out?  You shouldn't point out the athlete that gets in bed with Saudi Arabia unless you point out the athletes that are involved in China? 

You can point out one without always pointing out the other you know.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow