[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Golf 2022  (Read 68569 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Golf 2022
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2022, 08:27:31 AM »
No need.   Love my Vokey's,my Bettinardi.  Replaced hybrids last year.   It was either a driver or irons this year.   2022 stock is arriving and he had a set of 2021 irons that  I had been contemplating for $600, down from a grand.    I used the same logic my wife uses for shoes.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2022, 09:45:19 AM »
I'm jealous, tower. I have some older Callaway irons and have been wanting to make a change, but I have no idea what my game is gonna look like after not playing much last season.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2022, 05:21:11 PM »
No need.   Love my Vokey's,my Bettinardi.  Replaced hybrids last year.   It was either a driver or irons this year.   2022 stock is arriving and he had a set of 2021 irons that  I had been contemplating for $600, down from a grand.    I used the same logic my wife uses for shoes.
Except I’m guessing you don’t have 30 sets of clubs in the closet.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2022, 05:36:33 PM »
Always trading in the old stuff.

Tiger said today he would never play a full schedule on the PGA tour again.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2022, 11:44:53 AM »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2022, 11:50:22 AM »
Apparently, fire can bring that  monster to its knees, too.   Not just Hogan.    A lot of historic mementoes lost.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2022, 11:53:34 AM »
Oakland Hills. The best course I ever had the opportunity to play. No cell phones on the course or in the clubhouse. Very old school. Greens like pool tables and this is 20+ years ago. First hole, I accidentally hit my host's ball on my approach. I wonder why I was never invited back.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2022, 12:19:29 PM »
RIP Oakwood Hills.

https://twitter.com/Local4News/status/1494346435491516416?s=20&t=9kcdepHGMqynH6XFxl2dYQ

Very sad.  The Fried Egg did a video on it a year ago or so.  Lots of memorabilia in that clubhouse.  Not good
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2022, 11:52:25 PM »
I’m kinda worried about Phil, like I think he owes some bad dudes a lot of money.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #59 on: February 18, 2022, 06:01:14 AM »
I’m kinda worried about Phil, like I think he owes some bad dudes a lot of money.

Not a great look.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2022, 06:26:37 AM »

Yeah, and getting into bed with the house of Saud... despite knowing everything.  Yikes.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2022, 06:32:08 AM »

Good ol’ FIGJAM.  He has been and always will be one of the biggest frauds in sports.  A country club kid who somehow became the “People’s Champ” because he signed autographs when the camera was on and bragged about tipping big.  He’s not a good person and people within the golf world have known it for a long time.  The guy has made roughly $800 million in his career in golf and he’s the one calling the tour the ones with obnoxious greed.  Too bad he needs the cash.  I’d think the great family man would have curtailed the gambling habit after turning cooperative witness with the feds.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

🏀

• All American
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2022, 07:02:56 AM »
Good ol’ FIGJAM.  He has been and always will be one of the biggest frauds in sports.  A country club kid who somehow became the “People’s Champ” because he signed autographs when the camera was on and bragged about tipping big.  He’s not a good person and people within the golf world have known it for a long time.  The guy has made roughly $800 million in his career in golf and he’s the one calling the tour the ones with obnoxious greed.  Too bad he needs the cash.  I’d think the great family man would have curtailed the gambling habit after turning cooperative witness with the feds.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2022, 09:08:58 AM »

More evidence that if you fail spectacularly (and repeatedly) in life but do so giving goofy thumbs-up gestures then millions and millions and millions of people will absolve all of your deficiencies and defend to the end.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2022, 09:10:51 AM »

Makes you wonder, huh. Yesterday, Pat Perez does an interview talking about how "stressed" Phil is. Hmmm.

Uncle Rico sums up Phil very well.

Also, I never understood the golf media's fascination over the years cheering on Phil's gambling. They loved sharing stories of Phil's bets and so on. It is a very obvious character flaw. But, instead of pointing it out, it was almost lauded. Perhaps they thought Phil had so much money, it would never actually be a real problem. Perhaps, not?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 09:12:23 AM by RJax55 »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2022, 09:12:30 AM »
I am a Phil fan.   This is not a good look

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2022, 09:14:10 AM »
More evidence that if you fail spectacularly (and repeatedly) in life but do so giving goofy thumbs-up gestures then millions and millions and millions of people will absolve all of your deficiencies and defend to the end.

I’d be more forgiving if he gave a thumbs up after a bogey

MU82

• All American
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2022, 09:34:03 AM »

Well, to be fair, Phil has succeeded at a thing or two, also. I mean, he has a net worth equal to that of some small nations.

But Rico is right: Phil is a fraud, he is all about himself and his bottom line, and he is quite unpopular among touring pros.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2022, 09:39:12 AM »
Well, to be fair, Phil has succeeded at a thing or two, also. I mean, he has a net worth equal to that of some small nations.

But Rico is right: Phil is a fraud, he is all about himself and his bottom line, and he is quite unpopular among touring pros.

I wouldn’t be sure about his current wealth status based on some rumors floating around

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2022, 10:25:48 AM »
I think some of it is that there haven’t been any real public consequences to Phil’s gambling. He’s more viewed as the guy that likes to make a few bets, but has so much money, it’s only a small percentage. Plus, a lot of people gamble on golf, so it seems natural. He also has that public persona that some of the stories people just chuckle and say “Oh Phil.”

Even MJ’s public reaction to gambling is interesting. He’s had some issues with gambling and there’s the rumors about the connection to his Dad’s murder and first retirement. He still has so much money I think people just view it as him dipping a little bit into that wealth.

At least the public perception of their finances might be different than the real situation.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2022, 10:51:11 AM »
I think some of it is that there haven’t been any real public consequences to Phil’s gambling. He’s more viewed as the guy that likes to make a few bets, but has so much money, it’s only a small percentage. Plus, a lot of people gamble on golf, so it seems natural. He also has that public persona that some of the stories people just chuckle and say “Oh Phil.”

Even MJ’s public reaction to gambling is interesting. He’s had some issues with gambling and there’s the rumors about the connection to his Dad’s murder and first retirement. He still has so much money I think people just view it as him dipping a little bit into that wealth.

At least the public perception of their finances might be different than the real situation.

I agree with this. For years, Phil's gambling was portrayed as an extremely competitive guy with loads of money just having some fun. The "Oh Phil" stories. It wasn't until his insider trading deal went public that the truer and darker picture actually emerged. It brought to light some of the characters that Phil associated himself with and how they went hand-in-hand with his gambling. Truthfully, the admiration of it should have stopped then.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2022, 11:12:47 AM »
I caddied in Phil’s fivesome at the 99 Western Open pro-am at Cog. It was a thrill to be in that group, Phil was nice to everyone in the group, and they definitely did bet a couple hundo on holes throughout the day.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2022, 11:22:53 AM »
Devils advocate...despite the Saudi association, Phil makes a couple very good points regarding the PGA tour.  He could have definitely gone about it better and if he jumps ship to the Saudi league and nothing is done, then its a terrible look.  But still, some valid points brought up.

I also wouldn't quite goes as far as to call Phil a "fraud".  He can be an arrogant cocky SOB who isn't well liked by fellow tour pros...but still be warm and friendly to fans/associated golf people and be well liked by them for a reason.  I have 10-12 positive interactions with Phil from myself and a few of my friends/former coworkers and none on the negative side, so YMMV.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2022, 11:33:33 AM »
Devils advocate...despite the Saudi association, Phil makes a couple very good points regarding the PGA tour.  He could have definitely gone about it better and if he jumps ship to the Saudi league and nothing is done, then its a terrible look.  But still, some valid points brought up.

I also wouldn't quite goes as far as to call Phil a "fraud".  He can be an arrogant cocky SOB who isn't well liked by fellow tour pros...but still be warm and friendly to fans/associated golf people and be well liked by them for a reason.  I have 10-12 positive interactions with Phil from myself and a few of my friends/former coworkers and none on the negative side, so YMMV.

I’m wondering if it’s similar to Buzz. The public persona is so different than how he treats people out of the public eye. Everyone thinks of Phil as a bit of the lovable loser with the goofy grin who always has time for the fans. When, behind closed doors he’s a bit of a prick.

Fraud is probably harsh but I would say he’s very careful about his media portrayal. As are most athletes.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2022, 11:44:59 AM »
Some of the pros don't like him, others really enjoy their money games and the help he has given the young guys.   Obviously polarizing.