[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The cult of low expectations  (Read 9543 times)

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
Re: The cult of low expectations
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2022, 01:57:34 PM »
Theo was a great help-side shot blocker. He would be that guy who seemingly came out of nowhere to block a shot. Kur can do the help side too, but it seems like he's more likely to block shots straight up. I think it's tougher to block shots against your man because there's not as much of a defensive element of surprise. Of the two, I'll take Kur, but Theo was still one of the best shot blockers I've ever seen in my time following Marquette.

I think Kur is much better at blocking shots and getting possession vs. just swatting it out of bounds.  At least that's what it feels like over the course of the first 15 games compared to Theo.

And while Theo blocked a fair number of shots from the help-side, I also thought he tried to swat a number of shots he had no chance at, leaving an easy offensive rebound for his man.  I haven't noticed that as much with Kur. 

Not trying to denigrate Theo at all but so far would prefer Kur. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2022, 02:00:27 PM »
brew

Just curious, who else have you seen as an MU fan that think was a good shot blocker? Mac was the best I ever saw and Kur is climbing the ladder quickly. A true shot blocker is a very unique skillset and they do not come around very often.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2022, 02:08:12 PM »
brew

Just curious, who else have you seen as an MU fan that think was a good shot blocker? Mac was the best I ever saw and Kur is climbing the ladder quickly. A true shot blocker is a very unique skillset and they do not come around very often.

Not brew, but Mac is still #1 for me. Faisal became a pretty good one his senior year. Kur is ahead of Theo for me, just because he's able to keep plays alive, and rarely goes after ones that he can't get to. There were so many putbacks that happened when Theo flew in for a block.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #78 on: January 05, 2022, 02:19:34 PM »
Theo was also very emphatic with his blocks while Kur just seems so much more workmanlike.

There are often times where there are several bodies in the area and it’s hard to tell what’s happening and MU ends up with the ball and you just know it had to be Kur, and it was.

It’s also extremely impressive how little he fouls with all those blocks and redirects, he’s definitely got a knack for the skill.

Theo was so much more physically imposing, yet Kur is the better and more impactful defensive inside presence

Unless I'm mistaken, Kur has never fouled out of a game. I'm not just talking about Marquette. Ever.

Also, updating my post from earlier in the season below.

So far this season, Kur has had at least as many blocks as fouls in 13 out of 15 games...if you look at stats from his two seasons in Oklahoma he did this in 35 of 57 games.   For comparison, Theo did this only 32 times in 124 games at Marquette (and four times in his 12 games at Duke).
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #79 on: January 05, 2022, 02:31:07 PM »
brew

Mac was the best by far, though I didn't watch nearly as avidly back then. In more recent times (say the past 20 years since I was at MU), the list is admittedly pretty short. Otule and Fischer were both good shot blockers (not great, but good) but I don't think either had the intimidation factor about their personalities. Both Theo and Kur are guys that seem hungry to swat shots.

The other guy I'd have to mention is Dwyane Wade. He is probably the best shot-blocking guard I've ever seen at any level. His combination of timing and athleticism to block shots for a guy his size was ridiculous. Absolutely all-world. In terms of having the unique skillset regardless of size, I might put him as the only guy next to Mac in that regard.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2022, 02:47:39 PM »

I think Kur is much better at blocking shots and getting possession vs. just swatting it out of bounds.  At least that's what it feels like over the course of the first 15 games compared to Theo.

And while Theo blocked a fair number of shots from the help-side, I also thought he tried to swat a number of shots he had no chance at, leaving an easy offensive rebound for his man.  I haven't noticed that as much with Kur. 

Not trying to denigrate Theo at all but so far would prefer Kur.

The major difference between the two is length.  Kur is significantly longer so he can play more controlled than Theo.  Theo needed to commit to the block much earlier.  He also had more of a squat jumping style.  Kur has a 9'2" standing reach.  Theo John had a 7'3" wingspan but he was significantly wider in the shoulders so his standing reach isn't has long.

I think Theo also went for the bad ass factor so he treated it more like volleyball.  I don't think if he blocked it like Kur we would have gotten the ball anyway because Theo's secondary jump was limited and he requires the wind up.

All of this to say Kur does not need to anticipate or commit as early as John which also means he doesn't pick up as many cheap fouls which makes him a more natural shot blocker.

I think as Osa matures he will be similar but with a better offensive game.  This makes me optimistic for the future of the 5 position.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #81 on: January 05, 2022, 02:59:51 PM »
I agree in regards to body style, arm length, jumping style, etc.   Kuath reaches higher easier and gets more blocks.   The other thing is defensive style.   Theo was frequently the helper because the original defender had gotten blown by.   This lead to dump offs for uncontested dunks by bigs because MU either had rotated poorly or didn't have a nearby defender big enough to contest.    This year, Kur is rarely on an island.   
« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 03:01:27 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
« Reply #82 on: January 05, 2022, 04:20:02 PM »
I agree that GE is not a 3-pt shooter, but more-so a guy that shoots 3’s. He is better from 3 than Kolek, better than Lewis too, but GE is not necessarily a go-to guy from the 3-spot. Jones is, IMO. And of course, at the rec, I was. 😉

I always liked the rims at the rec
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

panda

• All American
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2022, 04:37:46 PM »
The major difference between the two is length.  Kur is significantly longer so he can play more controlled than Theo.  Theo needed to commit to the block much earlier.  He also had more of a squat jumping style.  Kur has a 9'2" standing reach.  Theo John had a 7'3" wingspan but he was significantly wider in the shoulders so his standing reach isn't has long.

I think Theo also went for the bad ass factor so he treated it more like volleyball.  I don't think if he blocked it like Kur we would have gotten the ball anyway because Theo's secondary jump was limited and he requires the wind up.

All of this to say Kur does not need to anticipate or commit as early as John which also means he doesn't pick up as many cheap fouls which makes him a more natural shot blocker.

I think as Osa matures he will be similar but with a better offensive game.  This makes me optimistic for the future of the 5 position.

Kur is a refined shot blocker. He jumps off the correct feet and uses the correct arm. Stays in position, doesn’t lunge etc.

Theo had natural skills but never learned/was taught the art. 

Disco Hippie

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2022, 06:29:48 PM »
Agree with the OP in theory but after the last 8 years, it's difficult to get too excited.  As others have mentioned, ILL wasn't at full strength when we played them, and are no longer in the top 25.  Neither is WVU, although both teams were listed in "others receiving votes" this week.  They're really good teams and great W's to have but being the negative person I am, my expectations weren't  re-set as a result of those W's.  Ole Miss and KState are in high major conferences but nothing special.  Don't get me wrong.  Any W over any high major conference team is a good thing, but whatever.  With the exception of his first and last seasons, we always won 2 or 3 games over legitimate powerhouse teams under WOJO and where did it get us?   Nowhere!

I'm extremely optimistic long term and have tremendous confidence in Shaka and his staff, but just don't think this is the year.  As much as I hope and want last night's W to be THE turning point of our season, the likelihood that it's an anomaly is high and two weeks from now we could easily be on the other side of a loss like Providence had last night.   Competition for talent these days is absolutely fierce, and while we have some capable players, our talent is middle of the pack.   Wish it weren't so, but it's reality.  Until this team can win 2 or 3 consecutive games against top half of conf. opponents my outlook won't be optimistic.   Expectations are different thing entirely and mine are extremely high.  Nothing short of a return to the blueblood status we had in the 70's is going to make me happy.  Not even sure if that's realistic but I'd like to think that's what we all want right?   If we're not a contender to win the national championship every year, what's the point?

panda

• All American
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2022, 06:39:29 PM »
Should probably just lose so we don’t have to worry about the ramifications of beating teams not at their best.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #86 on: January 05, 2022, 09:29:56 PM »
Out of curiosity, is there an associated cult of high expectations?

In that cult, do the “bad losses” absolve good wins?

Is the cult of high expectations free from the shackles of having to “update expectations based on results” as referenced in the original post? If it is not free, what were the expectations of the cult of high expectations after four straight losses?

It’s all so confusing to me! I wish I knew which cult to belong to. I’m lost.

Classic, Cam.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2022, 06:29:39 AM »
Agree with the OP in theory but after the last 8 years, it's difficult to get too excited.  As others have mentioned, ILL wasn't at full strength when we played them, and are no longer in the top 25.  Neither is WVU, although both teams were listed in "others receiving votes" this week.  They're really good teams and great W's to have but being the negative person I am, my expectations weren't  re-set as a result of those W's.  Ole Miss and KState are in high major conferences but nothing special.  Don't get me wrong.  Any W over any high major conference team is a good thing, but whatever.  With the exception of his first and last seasons, we always won 2 or 3 games over legitimate powerhouse teams under WOJO and where did it get us?   Nowhere!

I'm extremely optimistic long term and have tremendous confidence in Shaka and his staff, but just don't think this is the year.  As much as I hope and want last night's W to be THE turning point of our season, the likelihood that it's an anomaly is high and two weeks from now we could easily be on the other side of a loss like Providence had last night.   Competition for talent these days is absolutely fierce, and while we have some capable players, our talent is middle of the pack.   Wish it weren't so, but it's reality.  Until this team can win 2 or 3 consecutive games against top half of conf. opponents my outlook won't be optimistic.   Expectations are different thing entirely and mine are extremely high.  Nothing short of a return to the blueblood status we had in the 70's is going to make me happy.  Not even sure if that's realistic but I'd like to think that's what we all want right?   If we're not a contender to win the national championship every year, what's the point?
a return to blueblood status should be expected and is realistic. It’s all up to Marquette. If MU wants to rejoin the blueblood club, it can. Entry is steep, however.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2022, 04:02:19 PM »
brew

I’ll play too.

Mac was the best by a wide margin, and to me the next best was Faisal, followed by Amal McCaskill. After them, probably Kur. Guys like Theo, Walter Downing, Otule and Fischer were all solid, but not at the same level IMO.

Best shot locking guard to me was Michael Wilson. Great overall defender at the guard position. Somebody else mentioned Dwayne Wade, but I would take Wilson over Wade on defense in college.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #89 on: January 07, 2022, 02:39:46 AM »
Gooo

Michael Wilson was an awfully good shot blocker for being a guard. Not one if my favorite Warriors, but he was good defender and blocked a lot of shots. Amal also held his own.
Hopefully they can keep Kur on the court and see how his season at MU plays out. If he plays enough I think he ends up being second best in school history, IMO.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2022, 08:02:25 AM »
When Kuath has been good, he's really helped us. The problem with Kur is that, like most of our players, he has been very good in some games and a complete non-factor in others -- either totally disappearing while on the court, getting benched for poor play or both. On top of that, his two missed dunks were huge plays that directly contributed to losses.

Thankfully, we have another viable option at his position, and although Oso has tons of room for improvement, he already is so improved that it doesn't do justice to the word "improved." As a result, we're in pretty decent shape at the 5, and Shaka has done a good job apportioning court time to Kur and Oso.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2022, 10:35:30 AM »
Expectations do not change much. Providence had a bad game. I am sure part of this had to do with MU's defense, but we had a bad game against Creighton. The game offset.

feedback