[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: RIP Betty White  (Read 3844 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
RIP Betty White
« on: December 31, 2021, 01:47:34 PM »
Just an awesome woman and human being.  Condolences to her family.

GB Warrior

• All American
Re: RIP Betty White
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2021, 02:50:25 PM »
God damnit. What a loss, but may we all get to live life as Betty White did.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2021, 03:02:43 PM by GB Warrior »

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2021, 02:51:37 PM »
An American icon.  Tough way to end the year but we should celebrate her life, a life well lived
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2021, 02:51:46 PM »
Yes.  We should all aspire to have that much joy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2021, 03:51:26 PM »
Yes.  We should all aspire to have that much joy.

And talent, and compassion for animals.  She was on TV for like 90 yrs. 

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 03:56:10 PM »
An American icon.  Tough way to end the year but we should celebrate her life, a life well lived

Yup. When someone lives a happy, healthy life until just before their 100th birthday, it's a time to celebrate - not to mourn.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2021, 04:27:02 PM »
An icon of my home town
Maigh Eo for Sam

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2021, 05:41:18 PM »
Betty started doing experimental television  in 1939. She literally spanned the entire TV era .

I first remember her in Password
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2021, 06:50:10 PM »
Such a bummer.

I came across a couple of old password episodes with her and Allen Ludden recently, what a wholesome couple.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2021, 09:31:40 PM »
I was picking up takeout tonight on the far north side of Chicago. The guy behind me told me that Betty White’s stepdaughter lives in Lake View and runs a studio of some sort.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2022, 07:58:01 AM »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2022, 08:18:58 AM »
Nice article.
I laughed when it described her five bedroom, six bathroom home in Brentwood as ‘modest’…. Too bad she could not stay in the Carmel home like she wanted, but I can see how that one did not work with home caregiving in the picture.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2022, 10:01:09 AM »
She was so good on the MTM show, which had one of the best ensemble casts in TV history.

She was "randy" at a time when that was not very common on TV, and her delivery was impeccable. She jousted wonderfully with wholesome Mary and cranky Lou.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2022, 01:16:27 PM »
Yes I sometimes watch the reruns in the afternoon. She was terrific. Wasn’t originally meant to be a regular but it just clicked so well.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2022, 01:11:05 PM »
She was so good on the MTM show, which had one of the best ensemble casts in TV history.

She was "randy" at a time when that was not very common on TV, and her delivery was impeccable. She jousted wonderfully with wholesome Mary and cranky Lou.
This exactly.  She was fantastic on the MTM show.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2022, 03:10:36 PM »
an interesting post I saw on Twitter asked now that Betty White is gone, are there any more celebrities like her who are universally beloved, transcending political or social positions within the populace? My immediate thought is Tom Hanks (the comedian Christopher Titus said that if you heard that Tom Hanks punched a nun you'd immediately respond "what did that nun do"). Maybe The Rock, Paul McCartney, Oprah, Morgan Freeman, Bill Murray, and Jackie Chan?
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2022, 03:13:17 PM »
Whe I read your prompt, I thought of Morgan Freeman and Tom Hanks in that order.

I'm nominating Giannis for future consideration.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2022, 04:17:48 PM »
Whe I read your prompt, I thought of Morgan Freeman and Tom Hanks in that order.

A lot of the elite athletes have become pretty polarizing for one reason or another per the thread I referenced (Christino Ronaldo is incredibly generous with charities, gives blood monthly, etc., but half the soccer world hates him primarily because they're on Team Messi) but I agree with you here, Giannis for sure. What is not to like about him?

I had Christmas dinner with some Greek friends and their parents were there too. If you want to make an old Greek man light up in delight, just mention Giannis.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2022, 07:08:53 PM »

Morgan Freeman is problematic.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2022, 08:34:52 PM »
an interesting post I saw on Twitter asked now that Betty White is gone, are there any more celebrities like her who are universally beloved, transcending political or social positions within the populace? My immediate thought is Tom Hanks (the comedian Christopher Titus said that if you heard that Tom Hanks punched a nun you'd immediately respond "what did that nun do"). Maybe The Rock, Paul McCartney, Oprah, Morgan Freeman, Bill Murray, and Jackie Chan?

The answer is no.  She was so beloved that no one really asked her about political/social issues as far as I know. She also happened to be a deeply devoted lover of animals and was really impossible not to like with her wit and personality.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 08:39:03 PM by MuggsyB »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2022, 08:58:07 PM »

I don't know about that list.

Oprah?  Tons of people hate Oprah and she's provided a lot of cover and PR spin for terrible people that happen to be in her elite wealthy circle.  Maybe universally beloved by bored suburban housewives who like O Magazine and want a free throw pillow at her show.

Jackie Chan is also a relentless homophobe with some dubious connections back in his home turf and has abused his kids...

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2022, 09:03:29 PM »
Morgan Freeman is problematic.

I know someone (a friend of my son) who worked on one of his films. Said he was a douche.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2022, 09:07:58 PM »

Alec Baldwin and Ted Nugent.

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2022, 11:55:37 PM »

Dolly is the first name that came to mind. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2022, 11:58:40 PM »
Alec Baldwin and Ted Nugent.

Well, that goes without saying.

feedback