Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 11:07:17 AM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 10:35:42 AM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Viper
[Today at 10:34:23 AM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by withoutbias
[Today at 10:29:19 AM]

NM by tower912
[Today at 08:24:31 AM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[April 24, 2024, 09:57:20 PM]

Best case scenarios by We R Final Four
[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wednesday 12/29 @ St. John's  (Read 17595 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Wednesday 12/29 @ St. John's
« Reply #50 on: December 27, 2021, 08:00:42 PM »
Wrong. Why are sport teams, for example, who are vaccinated, continuing to get covid? I wish the vaccines worked great...they don't. They lessen symptoms and hospitalizations, but they don't eliminate the disease. There is, fortunately, a phenomenon called "herd immunity" and that's our best hope, aina?

They also lessen the likelihood of contracting it and spreading it. You're skipping over some information which is intellectually dishonest and trying to spin it to suit your sided message.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #51 on: December 27, 2021, 08:04:21 PM »
Wrong. Why are sport teams, for example, who are vaccinated, continuing to get covid? I wish the vaccines worked great...they don't. They lessen symptoms and hospitalizations, but they don't eliminate the disease. There is, fortunately, a phenomenon called "herd immunity" and that's our best hope, aina?

And mouthwash
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #52 on: December 27, 2021, 08:05:08 PM »
Do I think people don’t want the pandemic to end? No, that’s lunacy.   

However, I do think there are WILDLY different opinions/comforts/complacencies with how long till it ends, what is or isn’t ok until it’s over, and what post pandemic “should” look like.  That can often read like not wanting it to end IMO.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2021, 08:10:07 PM »
And mouthwash

Good point Rico Carty or Rico Petrocelli. Speaking as a medical professional (eat chit, jes) it is well known that molecular iodine rinses kill viruses, hey?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 08:25:35 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2021, 08:10:14 PM »

This is correct.

People should get vaccinated - it lowers your chances of death or hospitalization.

Contrary to what many have said, though, the vaccines we currently have don’t appear to have the ability to stop people from getting infected. The original numbers we saw (95% effective) were either exaggerated or temporary or both.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2021, 08:19:09 PM »
For people who aren't symptomatic. 

This is just the first of many.  We've got 6(maybe more) breakthroughs at my work.  Everyone is fully vaxed or boosted.  Omicron doesn't care.  Gonna he a really long or really short season

Same.  8 people where I work (all asymptomatic) tested positive and are fully vaxed and boosted. 

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2021, 08:29:16 PM »
Vaccination does nothing to prevent one from being a carrier/spreader. Yes, it likely means lesser (if any) effects from the virus. Those who have not been vaccinated put themselves at risk for more serious consequences from the virus, but to call it a pandemic of the non-vaccinated is erroneous.

My friend's son (an ER doc), had Covid in 2020, had two shots, and then a booster, and has tested positive for Covid again. No symptoms, thankfully.

Like the honey badger, Covid don't care. Looks like it's going to be around for the foreseeable.

panda

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 27, 2021, 08:43:27 PM »
I agree. But don’t say “flatten the curve” because it isn’t flattened.

I was being facetious

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #58 on: December 27, 2021, 09:12:47 PM »
This is correct.

People should get vaccinated - it lowers your chances of death or hospitalization.

Contrary to what many have said, though, the vaccines we currently have don’t appear to have the ability to stop people from getting infected. The original numbers we saw (95% effective) were either exaggerated or temporary or both.
Not really it is called evolution and not enough people around the world and sadly not enough in the US where vaccine is available have gotten the vaccine. Variants make the virus adapt to the vaccine. Incredible that some "doctors" want the so called herd immunity which would mean near 2 million dead in US. The true herd immunity would be reached when enough people get vaccinated and the virus can't evolved. Natural immunity does not help you with Delta or Omicron.
Goal is National Championship

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #59 on: December 27, 2021, 10:09:59 PM »
Vaccination does nothing to prevent one from being a carrier/spreader. Yes, it likely means lesser (if any) effects from the virus. Those who have not been vaccinated put themselves at risk for more serious consequences from the virus, but to call it a pandemic of the non-vaccinated is erroneous.

My friend's son (an ER doc), had Covid in 2020, had two shots, and then a booster, and has tested positive for Covid again. No symptoms, thankfully.

Like the honey badger, Covid don't care. Looks like it's going to be around for the foreseeable.

"COVID-19 vaccines are effective at protecting people from COVID-19 and help keep adults and children from getting seriously sick. COVID-19 vaccines can reduce the risk of people spreading the virus that causes COVID-19. Getting everyone ages 5 years and older vaccinated can help the entire family, including siblings who are not eligible for vaccination and family members who may be at risk of getting very sick if they are infected."

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/keythingstoknow.html#:~:text=COVID%2D19%20vaccines%20can,if%20they%20are%20infected.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #60 on: December 27, 2021, 10:36:44 PM »

“Health care professional”

People who have had Covid before may be at greater risk than those who are vaccinated.

You’ve been saying this line for 18 months. 800,000 Americans dead and you still trot it out?  What a joke.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 10:41:40 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 27, 2021, 10:37:33 PM »
CDC has reduced recommended isolation time from 10 days down to 5 today.

#SCIENCE, aina? Lol
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

• All American
« Reply #62 on: December 27, 2021, 10:40:38 PM »
This is correct.

Or didn’t anticipate omicron. But those who are vaccinated are still way better off.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 27, 2021, 10:42:18 PM »
CDC has reduced recommended isolation time from 10 days down to 5 today.

Which is smart.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 27, 2021, 10:54:53 PM »
#SCIENCE, aina? Lol

So they're still learning about a brand new virus?  Shocking.  Forget science, these people are clearly incompetent.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 27, 2021, 11:03:08 PM »
So they're still learning about a brand new virus?  Shocking.  Forget science, these people are clearly incompetent.

Then every statement should come with a huge disclaimer such as “we don’t have an effin clue but 5 seems better than 10”

I see warning signs / disclaimers all over the place, but when it comes to covid there are many who simply demand “follow the science”

Just be honest. They don’t have answers

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 27, 2021, 11:06:38 PM »

That’s how vaccines work.  They lessen the symptoms and prevent severe illness.  Nothing more, nothing less.  People need to get past the fact that you can inhale the virus wether you are vaccinated or not.  You can carry it during the incubation phase even if you are vaccinated.  The vaccinated people just do a better job of getting rid of it without major symptoms.  It would have been the same with measles or any other virus if we tested people as much when those vaccines came out.

Unfortunately people who won’t get vaccinated are getting really sick and it emphasizes every day why we need to protect them from themselves.  If everyone was vaccinated the curve would be so low normal life would be attainable.  But because of misinformation many people won’t get vaccinated and these protocols are still in place for their protection.  They want their lives to get back to normal but they choose to risk their lives daily.  It’s really strange.  They are trying to bend logic for reasons they don’t even know or at least can’t defend logically.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 11:22:09 PM by Shooter McGavin »

• All American
« Reply #67 on: December 27, 2021, 11:17:07 PM »
Then every statement should come with a huge disclaimer such as “we don’t have an effin clue but 5 seems better than 10”

I see warning signs / disclaimers all over the place, but when it comes to covid there are many who simply demand “follow the science”

Just be honest. They don’t have answers

“They” have never claimed to have complete answers.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #68 on: December 27, 2021, 11:23:51 PM »

They don’t disclaim that they’re clueless, while making others disclaim nonstop. “Follow the science!” should be “our ever-changing thinking is currently that…. but that has and likely will again change in a significant way. We just don’t know.”

It’s similar to your posts. Every one should start off with, “I’m an idiot, but here’s what I think…”

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #69 on: December 27, 2021, 11:29:12 PM »
They don’t disclaim that they’re clueless, while making others disclaim nonstop. “Follow the science!” should be “our ever-changing thinking is currently that…. but that has and likely will again change in a significant way. We just don’t know.”

It’s similar to your posts. Every one should start off with, “I’m an idiot, but here’s what I think…”

“They” are constantly saying “we just don’t know.” “They” are giving the best information they have. If “you” don’t want to trust them and “you” want to risk your own well being because “you” are smarter than everyone, “you” go right ahead. That’s nothing new there. But “you” and people like “you” are why kids can’t “just play if they want to. Don’t if they don’t.” “We” will never get past this because people don’t follow “their” guidelines.

“Their” willingness to change “their” guidelines as “they” learn more is a very good thing.

But it is absolutely wild that “they” would err on the cautious side of things when it comes to a new deadly virus.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 27, 2021, 11:31:09 PM »
People have to get vaccinated to end the pandemic.

They should get vaccinated for sure but there are countries with very high vaccination rates that are getting significant resurgences.  And the length these vaccines are effective may be shorter than originally thought.  We may be looking at bi or tri-annual boosters for future variants to be as protected as possible, who really knows?

I think the narrative has to change and we have to accept it's endemic and will be more potent certain seasons like the flu.  It's also pretty clear that if people aren't vaccinated by now they have no plans to get vaccinated.  Now maybe the unvaccinated will take the pills that are coming on the market and that will help?  Nevertheless, there is no indication that vaccines can eliminate covid like polio or small pox.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #71 on: December 27, 2021, 11:34:53 PM »
“They” are constantly saying “we just don’t know.” “They” are giving the best information they have. If “you” don’t want to trust them and “you” want to risk your own well being because “you” are smarter than everyone, “you” go right ahead. That’s nothing new there. But “you” and people like “you” are why kids can’t “just play if they want to. Don’t if they don’t.” “We” will never get past this because people don’t follow “their” guidelines.

“Their” willingness to change “their” guidelines as “they” learn more is a very good thing.

But it is absolutely wild that “they” would err on the cautious side of things when it comes to a new deadly virus.

Why 5 days instead of 10? Why not 6? Or 4?

It’s nonsense.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 27, 2021, 11:35:38 PM »
Why 5 days instead of 10? Why not 6? Or 4?

It’s nonsense.

Do what you want to. You know better than “them.”

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 27, 2021, 11:40:02 PM »

But to Jay Bee's point (although I don't know why he's hostile and attacking you) there have been many totally random public health decisions with regards to Covid that have nothing to do with "the science".  Including masking a 3 yr old but not a two year old on a plane.  This 5 day vs 10 day seems like one of those random non data decisions.  Data takes time to accumulate and honestly we know so little about omicron right now other than it's more contagious than other variants. 
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 11:42:22 PM by MuggsyB »

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2021, 11:40:04 PM »

Ah yes. Insulting instead of actually proving your point. So very JB.

Anyway “they” have never claimed to be 100% right. But “they” have been more right than wrong. By a long shot.

And I thought you weren’t going to post here any longer. And you actually made a big deal about it. Yet no one really cared that you were gone.

Back here with your tail between your legs aniina?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 11:51:22 PM by Fluffy Blue Monster »