[Today at 10:40:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:14:22 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2023 Team Outlook  (Read 174155 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: 2022 Team Outlook
« Reply #950 on: September 16, 2022, 06:02:20 AM »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #951 on: September 16, 2022, 06:03:28 AM »
I disagree.   If we are going to be pressuring 94 for 40, I want to go 10 deep.  I thought last year's team got worse as the bench shortened.   Well, and as the freshmen hit their wall.

I doubt we will be pressuring like that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #952 on: September 16, 2022, 07:04:54 AM »
A boy can dream.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #953 on: September 16, 2022, 09:34:30 AM »
I disagree.   If we are going to be pressuring 94 for 40, I want to go 10 deep.  I thought last year's team got worse as the bench shortened.   Well, and as the freshmen hit their wall.

Unless you're counting deep bench minutes from Ellis and the walk-ons in early season blowouts, the bench didn't really shorten as the season went on.

Our first conference game against Xavier, we played 10 players, the bench logged 66 minutes. The end of the bench included 2 minutes for Joplin, 9 for OMP, and 8 for Mitchell. 

In our final conference game against Creighton in the BET, the same 10 players logged minutes, with 71 for the bench.  Among them: Stevie got 18 minutes, Joplin with 11, and three players with 14.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #954 on: September 20, 2022, 07:08:07 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

tower912

• All American
« Reply #955 on: September 22, 2022, 08:56:21 PM »
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 09:00:26 PM by tower912 »

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Goal is National Championship

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #957 on: September 22, 2022, 10:03:17 PM »
https://twitter.com/MarquetteMBB/status/1573054656254820353?s=20&t=22_3gQwGZ4Yell4FPdcIOQ

Stevie with a gun show.

There seemed to be the starting 5.
Tyler, Stevie, Kam, OMax, Oso.
3 guard/2 athletic big lineup that Brew has suggested we will see a lot of.

Wrightsil, S Jones, Jop, C Ross, Gold, Keeyan off the bench.

Seems to make a lot of sense.
Start small, run fast, pester defensively and see what happens on the glass.

Wrightsil, hopefully a productive newcomer, first big off the bench- can be at the 4/5 positions depending on foul trouble or the need to play bigger, Omax slides to the 3.
Jop provides scoring off the bench.
S Jones and C Ross provide speed and freshman energy off the bench at G.
Ben spells the 4 or 5 depending on need.
Keeyan is your insurance at the 5.

If the above is accurate, it seems like a lot will ride on Kam and OMax offensively, with Stevie playing a massive roll on both ends.
Kolek becomes the most important player on the team imo, and his success or lack thereof will be a major determinant on how the season ends up.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #958 on: September 22, 2022, 10:35:14 PM »
Kolek becomes the most important player on the team imo, and his success or lack thereof will be a major determinant on how the season ends up.

Kolek was nowhere near the best player last season, but he arguably was the most important. That sure could be the case again this season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #959 on: September 23, 2022, 12:26:12 AM »
There seemed to be the starting 5.
Tyler, Stevie, Kam, OMax, Oso.
3 guard/2 athletic big lineup that Brew has suggested we will see a lot of.

Wrightsil, S Jones, Jop, C Ross, Gold, Keeyan off the bench.

Seems to make a lot of sense.
Start small, run fast, pester defensively and see what happens on the glass.

Wrightsil, hopefully a productive newcomer, first big off the bench- can be at the 4/5 positions depending on foul trouble or the need to play bigger, Omax slides to the 3.
Jop provides scoring off the bench.
S Jones and C Ross provide speed and freshman energy off the bench at G.
Ben spells the 4 or 5 depending on need.
Keeyan is your insurance at the 5.

If the above is accurate, it seems like a lot will ride on Kam and OMax offensively, with Stevie playing a massive roll on both ends.

Just like I predicted earlier in the thread (Might have been a different thread).

They'll likely try not to overlap Jop and Kam because they both can score but lack in defense relative to the others.

Same with Wrightsil and Oso who share a similar skillset at different sizes. Likely see their minutes staggered from one another as well.

I absolutely love everything about Stevie. He's that guy that isn't blessed with great scoring ability, but he works his tail off and knows how to work for a bucket. Guys like Stevie are so important.

Also OMax looks incredible. In shape, still heading the press and the jumper looks silky!
VIOLENCE!

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #960 on: September 23, 2022, 09:22:02 AM »
Just like I predicted earlier in the thread (Might have been a different thread).

They'll likely try not to overlap Jop and Kam because they both can score but lack in defense relative to the others.

Same with Wrightsil and Oso who share a similar skillset at different sizes. Likely see their minutes staggered from one another as well.

I absolutely love everything about Stevie. He's that guy that isn't blessed with great scoring ability, but he works his tail off and knows how to work for a bucket. Guys like Stevie are so important.

Also OMax looks incredible. In shape, still heading the press and the jumper looks silky!

Stevie was a bucket in HS. I think there is a lot more there than people are giving him credit for.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #961 on: September 23, 2022, 12:23:59 PM »

Why do you think OMax will be improved, but Kam and Jop won’t?

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #962 on: September 23, 2022, 12:25:51 PM »
Why do you think OMax will be improved, but Kam and Jop won’t?

I think they all will be improved, that's the goal anyways...

I just think they won't overlap Kam minutes with Jop minutes because of the defensive abilities. I still think they could and will be better.
VIOLENCE!

MU1980

• Starter
« Reply #963 on: September 23, 2022, 01:10:12 PM »
I think they all will be improved, that's the goal anyways...

I just think they won't overlap Kam minutes with Jop minutes because of the defensive abilities. I still think they could and will be better.

It seems to me that defense is often what improves the most from Freshmen to Sophomore year, since so many kids did not need to play much defense in high school.  Both Kam and Joplin are athletic enough that I believe with the work they are putting in and having a year of college basketball under their belt, they will be much improved defensively and will be on the court together this season a fair amount. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #964 on: September 24, 2022, 11:33:28 AM »

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #965 on: September 24, 2022, 11:36:53 AM »
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #966 on: September 24, 2022, 01:08:26 PM »
I’m skeptical. I hope it works out.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

panda

• All American
« Reply #967 on: September 24, 2022, 01:16:36 PM »
I’m skeptical. I hope it works out.

He kind of did it last year in the high post. I’d be happy with the ball in his hands in that position more often if he’s comfortable with two dribbles to the hoop, fake dribble hand off and ball reversal pass. Point forward is an exaggeration IMO.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #968 on: September 24, 2022, 01:27:41 PM »
OK.    Just be aware that Shaka has publicly said it is his plan.    As part of sending out an invitation to any talented big that would like to have the ball in his hands and initiate offense.   
I don't believe it is the base set.    I do believe that there will be a regularly used set that gets the ball to Oso above the foul line and involves a lot of motion off the ball allowing him to make decisions and use his speed to take slower 5's to the rack.     One caveat to this is that the 5 has to come out and guard him.    If the big sags, will Oso have the coveted mid-range green light?   Because for this to really work well, he is going to have to be a threat all of the way out to the 3 pt line.   

panda

• All American
« Reply #969 on: September 24, 2022, 01:33:34 PM »
OK.    Just be aware that Shaka has publicly said it is his plan.    As part of sending out an invitation to any talented big that would like to have the ball in his hands and initiate offense.   
I don't believe it is the base set.    I do believe that there will be a regularly used set that gets the ball to Oso above the foul line and involves a lot of motion off the ball allowing him to make decisions and use his speed to take slower 5's to the rack.     One caveat to this is that the 5 has to come out and guard him.    If the big sags, will Oso have the coveted mid-range green light?   Because for this to really work well, he is going to have to be a threat all of the way out to the 3 pt line.

Rothstien broke the news fyi

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #970 on: September 24, 2022, 02:22:58 PM »
Rothstien broke the news fyi

LOL not even remotely.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #971 on: September 24, 2022, 02:28:16 PM »

Agreed tower he needs to show a midrange and three point game this year for it to work.

panda

• All American
« Reply #972 on: September 24, 2022, 02:52:18 PM »
LOL not even remotely.

He has a well embedded mole

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #973 on: September 24, 2022, 09:00:23 PM »
He has a well embedded mole