[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Team Outlook  (Read 179441 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: 2022 Team Outlook
« Reply #900 on: September 01, 2022, 08:29:45 AM »
This is the kind of press you get when you have not won an NCAA tournament game in 10 years, go on a crazy winning streak only to blow it at the end of the season and recruits that don't generate any buzz or excitement; albeit Markus Howard.

This has nothing to do with it.  It is almost entirely about losing our top two minute guys who also were our only double digit scorers.

People really should stop thinking that disappointments from the last decade have any bearing on next year.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #901 on: September 01, 2022, 08:53:03 AM »
This is the kind of press you get when you have not won an NCAA tournament game in 10 years, go on a crazy winning streak only to blow it at the end of the season and recruits that don't generate any buzz or excitement; albeit Markus Howard. I live only an hour from MSG and find it difficult to pay for a BET game as we have sucked playing there since we joined the league. Just think, if we finish higher than 11th in the league we exceeded expectations. This is a sad commentary from someone on the outside looking in at the program. My sad comments are from some one who has followed the program for more that 50 years and how I see the program over the last 10 years.

Oh woe is you because some clueless lazy writer picked Marquette 11th. This staff has been here one year and exceeded expectations in their only kick at the can. Trust me, I get that the Wojo years sucked. The greatest accomplishments were Henry Ellenson's draft status and Markus' Howard's individual scoring accomplishments. But the only sad thing here is fans that keep griping about "10 years ago" for a staff that has exceeded your expectations so far:

This is what you said when Shaka was hired:

All snarkiness aside he carries himself well, said all the right things. Now let's see if he can get the guys to actually play aggressive defense with  high energy. What happens on the court is the only measure.

This is what you said last July:

I have no expectations what so ever. What I do know is that change was necessary. Now let's see what they can do. We'll know soon enough.

I get it. We're all frustrated because the program sucks...I'll give him 3 seasons.

This is what you said last September:

I would have picked us last as I have no idea how this team will perform on the court. Low expectations, yes; but hope I'm surprised. Also, respect is earned.

So...our defensive efficiency per kenpom the best rating since Buzz's 2013 season. On the court, the team made the NCAA Tournament. You said you would give him 3 seasons, and would've picked Marquette last in the Big East, yet you're still whining now because of some rando blog and blaming Smart's staff for what happened during Wojo's tenure. This refrain gets tiring.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #902 on: September 01, 2022, 08:58:32 AM »
This is the kind of press you get when you have not won an NCAA tournament game in 10 years, go on a crazy winning streak only to blow it at the end of the season and recruits that don't generate any buzz or excitement; albeit Markus Howard. I live only an hour from MSG and find it difficult to pay for a BET game as we have sucked playing there since we joined the league. Just think, if we finish higher than 11th in the league we exceeded expectations. This is a sad commentary from someone on the outside looking in at the program. My sad comments are from some one who has followed the program for more that 50 years and how I see the program over the last 10 years.

We can only change that perception by consistent success on the court and I have not seen that in the last 10 years.

The BET was amazing in 2019, what are you on?

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #903 on: September 01, 2022, 09:58:12 AM »

We can only change that perception by consistent success on the court and I have not seen that in the last 10 years.
Just say it COLE
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #904 on: September 01, 2022, 10:07:48 AM »
Oh woe is you because some clueless lazy writer picked Marquette 11th. This staff has been here one year and exceeded expectations

So...our defensive efficiency per kenpom the best rating since Buzz's 2013 season. On the court, the team made the NCAA Tournament. You said you would give him 3 seasons, and would've picked Marquette last in the Big East, yet you're still whining now because of some rando blog and blaming Smart's staff for what happened during Wojo's tenure. This refrain gets tiring.

Bravo, brewski!

It’s an effen mope-a-thon here, much (most?) of it based on past performances of different coaches and players.

Ridiculous COLE-slaw slurpers.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #905 on: September 01, 2022, 10:24:36 AM »
Oh woe is you because some clueless lazy writer picked Marquette 11th. This staff has been here one year and exceeded expectations in their only kick at the can. Trust me, I get that the Wojo years sucked. The greatest accomplishments were Henry Ellenson's draft status and Markus' Howard's individual scoring accomplishments. But the only sad thing here is fans that keep griping about "10 years ago" for a staff that has exceeded your expectations so far:

The last 10 years have been tiring. Where was our best defensive efficiency since Buzz when we played UNC and were humiliated. We weren't even competitive in that game, not to rub it in, nor the last several games at the end of last season. Yes, the team exceeded my expectations, but that is not saying much.

This has nothing to do with it.  It is almost entirely about losing our top two minute guys who also were our only double digit scorers.

People really should stop thinking that disappointments from the last decade have any bearing on next year.

We have been saying that for a long time now.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #906 on: September 01, 2022, 10:30:19 AM »
The last 10 years have been tiring. Where was our best defensive efficiency since Buzz when we played UNC and were humiliated. We weren't even competitive in that game, not to rub it in, nor the last several games at the end of last season. Yes, the team exceeded my expectations, but that is not saying much.

This is all just generalized whining.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

🏀

• All American
« Reply #907 on: September 01, 2022, 10:31:57 AM »

SAD. VERY SAD. THE SADDEST.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #908 on: September 01, 2022, 10:50:25 AM »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #909 on: September 01, 2022, 11:11:39 AM »
Where was our best defensive efficiency since Buzz when we played UNC and were humiliated. We weren't even competitive in that game

No kidding. Plus that UNC team was total garbage after that game.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #910 on: September 01, 2022, 06:21:31 PM »
This might be a good time to list the Cambridge Dictionary definition of the word "outlook" (bolded words by me).

outlook noun [ S ] uk / ˈaʊtlʊk / us the way a particular situation is expected to develop in the future, for example, whether it will get better or worse: If the inflationary outlook continues to get worse, the central bank will not hesitate to act. the economic / financial / trading outlook the long-term / short-term /medium-term outlook

I see no reference here to the way a particular situation developed in the past ten years.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #911 on: September 01, 2022, 11:42:52 PM »

are you retired? Lots of time, yes?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #912 on: September 02, 2022, 05:01:22 AM »
are you retired? Lots of time, yes?

When 90% of your posts are non-basketball gripes in the Superbar, it's pretty quick to comb through for the Marquette related posts.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 05:20:42 AM by brewcity77 »

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #913 on: September 02, 2022, 06:12:14 AM »

If you bought a Thursday ticket for MSG, you would have seen MU every year except 2021.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #914 on: September 02, 2022, 07:42:13 AM »
If you bought a Thursday ticket for MSG, you would have seen MU every year except 2021.

And he would have seen Marquette beat St. Johns by a whopping 32 points in 2019 as my wife and I did after traveling from Virginia, but the highly controversial 81-79 loss to Seton Hall would have been what he would focus on. I guess the 2018-19 team sucked because of the Murray State game and of course we sucked due to the 30+ loss to UNC last season. He conveniently forgot to mention the sweep of Nova. Let's focus on the worst games! 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #915 on: September 02, 2022, 09:38:36 AM »
I certainly do not expect MU to win the Big East this year, but I think the team is likely better than some people think. At the very least I expect them to be a lot of fun to watch and ti finish in the middle of the pack in the BE. If they can go 11-9 in the conference and get a tournament bid, I will consider it a successful year.  Certainly I would like to see them do even better, but they are a very young team with a couple of big question marks.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #916 on: September 02, 2022, 10:07:12 AM »
I certainly do not expect MU to win the Big East this year, but I think the team is likely better than some people think. At the very least I expect them to be a lot of fun to watch and ti finish in the middle of the pack in the BE. If they can go 11-9 in the conference and get a tournament bid, I will consider it a successful year.  Certainly I would like to see them do even better, but they are a very young team with a couple of big question marks.

i like this^  i believe we will see a hard working shaka team!  players will run thru brick walls to play for him.  i don't believe shaka will be timid to sit anyone not playing shaka-ball.  this includes the children of parents sitting behind the bench who know more than he
don't...don't don't don't don't

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #917 on: September 02, 2022, 10:25:24 AM »
i like this^  i believe we will see a hard working shaka team!  players will run thru brick walls to play for him.  i don't believe shaka will be timid to sit anyone not playing shaka-ball.  this includes the children of parents sitting behind the bench who know more than he

Yup, and I'm not sure Shaka would even be interested in recruiting players with head case parents.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #918 on: September 02, 2022, 02:41:57 PM »
Big Guards.  Not necessarily tall, though some are, but weight room Big.  All these guys have clearly put in some serious work off the court. Hopefully it translates!

https://twitter.com/MarquetteMBB/status/1565782552799055874?t=7JTSs033BHQNJ-tZSZn07g&s=19
VIOLENCE!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #919 on: September 02, 2022, 02:54:58 PM »
The outlook for this season's team boils down to this.    Is the continuity and year to year development going to be enough?    If it is, this will be a fun year.    The guards with 5-10 more lbs of muscle.    Oso being 15 lbs stronger.   Understanding the system and expectations.   If, as Nevada said, that this team is going to play faster longer because of all of the offseason work.   

If it works, watch out.    If it didn't work, watch out in a different way.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #920 on: September 02, 2022, 03:09:18 PM »
The outlook for this season's team boils down to this.    Is the continuity and year to year development going to be enough?    If it is, this will be a fun year.    The guards with 5-10 more lbs of muscle.    Oso being 15 lbs stronger.   Understanding the system and expectations.   If, as Nevada said, that this team is going to play faster longer because of all of the offseason work.   

If it works, watch out.    If it didn't work, watch out in a different way.
My guess is the Coaches , who see these kids every day, had a feeling the continuity and year to year development was going to be a big positive. Otherwise, they would have taken in more Transfers and Grad Transfers.

Basketball is a team sport. I believe our Coaches will have this team playing extremely well together.

Looking forward to a fast paced exciting squad that will do well in Big East action this season.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #921 on: September 02, 2022, 03:17:20 PM »
Big Guards.  Not necessarily tall, though some are, but weight room Big.  All these guys have clearly put in some serious work off the court. Hopefully it translates!

https://twitter.com/MarquetteMBB/status/1565782552799055874?t=7JTSs033BHQNJ-tZSZn07g&s=19

Stevie looks like a strong safety.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
« Reply #922 on: September 02, 2022, 03:30:14 PM »
You need to be to wrestle with Big East guards.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #923 on: September 02, 2022, 04:29:02 PM »

Stevie looking ready for the revival of the football team.

Nice to see Kam driving well and Kolek creating a mid range.

Sean is shifty af out there. His speed is gonna mess with a lot of defenders and help him capitalize when they are on their back foot.

...still no Omax hype video.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #924 on: September 02, 2022, 04:37:40 PM »
Stevie looking ready for the revival of the football team.

Nice to see Kam driving well and Kolek creating a mid range.

Sean is shifty af out there. His speed is gonna mess with a lot of defenders and help him capitalize when they are on their back foot.

...still no Omax hype video.

OMax was seen on campus in a boot
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

feedback