[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2023 Team Outlook  (Read 174224 times)

LAZER

• All American
Re: 2022 Team Outlook
« Reply #700 on: August 10, 2022, 01:41:19 PM »
Seems like a Redshirt is probably the best route. Assuming Ellis is on board.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #701 on: August 10, 2022, 01:44:23 PM »
Seems like a Redshirt is probably the best route. Assuming Ellis is on board.
It truly is.  Given the healing and rehab time as well as the real risk of re-injury by coming back too soon from a stress fracture, it would seem to be the wise thing to do. Also, breaking into the rotation in late December or January would be rather difficult. But, it is his decision.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #702 on: August 10, 2022, 06:35:14 PM »
Hate to see any young student athlete get an injury they requires surgery . Hopefully , EE can get healthy and then use the sophomore redshirt to come out strong the next season like Sacar did.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #703 on: August 10, 2022, 07:44:55 PM »
Poop.   Good luck and heal quickly and completely.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #704 on: August 10, 2022, 11:37:39 PM »
Hate to see any young student athlete get an injury they requires surgery . Hopefully , EE can get healthy and then use the sophomore redshirt to come out strong the next season like Sacar did.

This is a tough one for him, barely played last year, now he should redshirt as he will be way behind whatever position he plays as there other players that will
be way ahead of him.  Now comes the question if Shaka over signs a player.  Somebody will have to go.  Its tough for any kid to sit out almost 2 more years before
he see the court, sad for EE.  Wish him a speedy recovery, but do not do what Cadougan did, comeback early and waste the year.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #705 on: August 11, 2022, 07:58:49 AM »
I am MUCH more worried about rebounding. I don’t think scoring will be an issue
Is our rebounding sh1t because of size, athleticism, or because of our defensive system?  I struggle to understand why we can't board better, yet it almost seems like a given to the coaching staff that we're going to struggle on the boards (last year and this year).   

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #706 on: August 11, 2022, 08:03:12 AM »
Definitely think the Sacar Anim patch is best for Ellis now. Like Anim, he played sparingly his first year and the redshirt to get stronger, more polished, and better acclimated to the system would benefit him. Might be worth the staff trying to connect the two as Anim could provide the experience of a successful path EE could follow.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #707 on: August 11, 2022, 08:20:28 AM »
Is our rebounding sh1t because of size, athleticism, or because of our defensive system?  I struggle to understand why we can't board better, yet it almost seems like a given to the coaching staff that we're going to struggle on the boards (last year and this year).   

I’m not really sure but, personally, I think it’s roster construction. We don’t really have any “bruisers”. We have a couple tall skinny guys who don’t bang (queue the JB joke) down low. It also seems like Shaka is continuing to recruit this way. The big from Philly that we’re supposedly in the lead for is like 190lbs

I fully trust Shaka but to me it seems like rebounding might be an issue that’s here to stay

Oh, and I know Wrightsil is supposed to be the solution but I don’t see it. Hope I’m wrong

Lastly, I still think we’re a tournament team
Bring back FFP!!!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #708 on: August 11, 2022, 08:27:49 AM »
The first two rounds of recruiting indicate that Coach Smart likes speed and versatility.  And with the exception of Sean Jones, length at guard.   If a versatile 6'9, 245 lb forward who could guard 4 positions and get their own shot wanted to come to MU, it is likely Shaka would reciprocate that interest.   

For now, speed.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #709 on: August 11, 2022, 08:32:50 AM »
I’m not really sure but, personally, I think it’s roster construction. We don’t really have any “bruisers”. We have a couple tall skinny guys who don’t bang (queue the JB joke) down low. It also seems like Shaka is continuing to recruit this way. The big from Philly that we’re supposedly in the lead for is like 190lbs

I fully trust Shaka but to me it seems like rebounding might be an issue that’s here to stay

Oh, and I know Wrightsil is supposed to be the solution but I don’t see it. Hope I’m wrong

The only thing I will add to your comments is that I would like to see at least some effort by our guys when the rebound opportunity is slightly away from the basket. There were a number of times last year that we had two guys who could have at least tried to secure the rebound but remained flat footed while a competitor rushed in and leaped in the air to get the rebound.

I have no argument with Tower's post. It's the occasional "surrender without a fight" that bothers me.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #710 on: August 11, 2022, 08:40:10 AM »
The first two rounds of recruiting indicate that Coach Smart likes speed and versatility.  And with the exception of Sean Jones, length at guard.   If a versatile 6'9, 245 lb forward who could guard 4 positions and get their own shot wanted to come to MU, it is likely Shaka would reciprocate that interest.   

For now, speed.

You forgot culture
Bring back FFP!!!

Spotcheck Billy

• All American

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #712 on: August 11, 2022, 11:29:20 AM »

I just think it's a style that most aren't used to seeing.

Marquette has the guards that are built like bullies and the forwards that are built to spread the floor. The idea is mismatches all over the floor.

Stevie, Wrightsil, and Ross are strong dudes that can play the 2 and 3, get in your face defensively, and put defenders in the rim with their strength offensively driving to the hoop.

Oso, Gold, OMax, and Jop stretch the floor.

Shaka Smart said Sean Jones is the fastest player he's EVER seen on a basketball court. That's some serious praise.

Kolek and Kam can shoot and Kolek was the best distributor in the league last year. This roster has a little bit of everything.
VIOLENCE!

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #713 on: August 11, 2022, 11:50:03 AM »
Rebounding will probably always be a bit of a struggle, but in the past Shaka has always had 1-2 Jericho Sims, Dylan Osetkowski, Will Baker, Jarrett Allen, Mo-Alie Cox, Juvonte Reddic types that are generally 6'9"+, 235-250. He inherited that at Texas with Shaq Cleare, Cam Ridley, and Prince Ibeh, but here he really only inherited Oso, who was a toothpick, and pulled in Kur, who had the length but not the girth.

I would imagine the hope is to routinely get 2-3 of those guys on the roster, but mostly developed so that hopefully Oso, Itejere, and Amadou come in at 190-200 but after a couple years are more in that 225+ range and better suited to bang inside without losing their bounce.

***You're just quoting this to make a length/girth joke, aren't you?***
« Last Edit: August 11, 2022, 11:53:36 AM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #714 on: August 11, 2022, 09:45:20 PM »
I just think it's a style that most aren't used to seeing.

Marquette has the guards that are built like bullies and the forwards that are built to spread the floor. The idea is mismatches all over the floor.

Stevie, Wrightsil, and Ross are strong dudes that can play the 2 and 3, get in your face defensively, and put defenders in the rim with their strength offensively driving to the hoop.

Oso, Gold, OMax, and Jop stretch the floor.

Shaka Smart said Sean Jones is the fastest player he's EVER seen on a basketball court. That's some serious praise.

Kolek and Kam can shoot and Kolek was the best distributor in the league last year. This roster has a little bit of everything.
Kolek can shoot? 🤔
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #715 on: August 11, 2022, 10:42:39 PM »
Steele has a nice update today
Marquette basketball summer progress report: Shaka Smart gives thoughts and injury updates on every scholarship player

It was a pretty generic update.  I didn’t get the impression Shaka was over the moon about anyone.  Hopefully Kolek and Gold will be a nice pick and pop or roll combo. Sean Jones sounds interesting with his speed.  I don’t think Shaka is expecting anything out of Itejere.  We are ultra thin up front. 

This year will be interesting.  A step back looks inevitable.  I definitely hope I’m wrong.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #716 on: August 11, 2022, 10:55:27 PM »
Remember 4 frosh, 7 Sophomores and 1 senior!  I would say that is a very young team this year!

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #717 on: August 11, 2022, 11:28:26 PM »
Remember 4 frosh, 7 Sophomores and 1 senior!  I would say that is a very young team this year!

Sounds like Shaka's philosophy is to classify young, and stay young 😕

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #718 on: August 12, 2022, 08:04:08 AM »
Mcgavin …

I agree.  It was as bland and generic of
an “ update “ as possible.  This team is too young, too weak and has no size.

They also do not have anything close
to a “ stud “ or star player  - for probably the first time in 20+ years

I too hope I am wrong …

But I think it will be an ugly and very disappointing year.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #719 on: August 12, 2022, 08:23:24 AM »
Mcgavin …

I too hope I am wrong …

2014-2015 was much more bare than this, and coached by Wojo.  No stars there either.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #720 on: August 12, 2022, 08:57:13 AM »
I think we end up in about the same place as last season. 8-10 seed range.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #721 on: August 12, 2022, 09:53:40 AM »
I think we end up in about the same place as last season. 8-10 seed range.

I feel you're not wrong. I'm slightly more bullish and think 5-6
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #722 on: August 12, 2022, 11:29:44 AM »
Next years team is severely high variance. Hoop Explorer is a good example of this. Their range for Marquette is from 16th to 87th. (projected for 47th.)  Bartorvik which is offensive focused, is at 69th (nice). They could really be anything.

And that's ignoring the variance in win totals a (50th) rated team could have. 50th in Ken pom could be a 50% team outside any postseason play up to a 6 seed dependent on the in season luck.

Zach Wrightsil is going to be a major contributor on next years team, and its nearly impossible to get an accurate assessment on his efficiency on either end of the floor, due to coming form the best team in NAIA.

My biggest question for this team is actually our guards defense.

Stevie's both with the eye test and using metrics is a great defender. But there is a question of how often he can play when his offensive game is so limited.

Kolek has the efficiency numbers of a great defender. But had a horrible stretch at the end of the season. The last few weeks both him and morsell got beat off the dribble badly. Which version of Kolek's defense will we consistently see?

Kam Jones was a poor defender often, it felt like he and Joplin lost their man off ball two times more often than any other Marquette player. But Marquette will need Kams scoring this season and need his 3point attempts. He had a 73% 3PA Rate, with 18.5% of his remain attempts at the rim. He consistently took valuable attempts. Can Kam's defense improve to the point where marquette's defensive rating is near 98-100 with him on the floor?

Sean Jones, who i expect will spell Kolek, has great hands on the defensive side of the ball and is wicked fast. The question for him will be height, and can he be a net positive defender while being 5'10".

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #723 on: August 12, 2022, 11:37:12 AM »
The COLE is strong…

Mcgavin …

I too hope I am wrong …

Mu8891

• All American
« Reply #724 on: August 12, 2022, 11:50:00 AM »
So … Point …

What do you predict?

As for my personal “ expectations “ …
I think they should make the Dance pretty much every year.  And, a 10 year span of not Winning a single tournament game is pathetic