[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: So, when does USA split up into different countries?  (Read 9273 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: So, when does USA split up into different countries?
« Reply #125 on: December 14, 2021, 11:15:25 AM »
It seems the "party of tolerance" is the least tolerant and most in favor of segregation based upon political beliefs.

Tolerance doesn't mean I have to be friends with or date aholes. Or as this piece says, if you want attention from liberals, "try sucking less".

https://www.salon.com/2021/12/08/young-democrats-are-right-there-is-no-reason-to-date-or-befriend/

"On the right, there was a lot of trumpeting how this supposedly proves the left are the ones who are "really" intolerant. Radio talker Matt Murphy whined that liberals "don't believe in our republic cannot abide people who think differently than them." As if not getting to have sex with or go to parties with liberals is exactly the same as having your basic rights as a citizen stripped from you.

Relatedly, a Harvard poll from last week shows "[m]ore than half of young Americans feel democracy in the country is under threat, and over a third think they may see a second U.S. civil war within their lifetimes." This isn't about a dispute over marginal tax rates. If you — quite correctly — believe that Republicans are plotting to destroy democracy, then why would you want to be friends with people who support that?

And that gets to the crux of it: Dating and friendship aren't about merely tolerating someone, it's about inviting someone into your life, as a confidante or even on an intimate level. Relationships take work to maintain. Why waste that effort on someone who can't meet the baseline requirement of seeing you or the other people in your life as full human beings?

The anger on the right over this polling, in turn, shows that this isn't really about liberal "intolerance," but an ugly sense of entitlement among conservatives. It's fueled by a belief that they should be as obnoxious, cruel, and bigoted as they want, without having to pay any social penalty for it.

Sure, conservatives can and occasionally entertain the idea of creating their own social networks and even universities, so they can hang out with each other, instead of constantly demanding attention from liberals. But apparently, they don't like each other's company any more than liberals do, and so they always circle back to yelling at liberals, accusing the left of "intolerance" for finding right-wingers unpleasant people to be around.

Ultimately, however, it comes back to this: No one is entitled to anyone else's social attention or friendship, much less a dating relationship with them. If friendships and romantic relationships with progressive are so desirable — which, as a progressive, I totally agree is true! — then the way to obtain them is to suck less."
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #126 on: December 14, 2021, 11:46:29 AM »

That led to Nixon employing the Southern Strategy and divided the nation between Liberal Democrats, and largely Southern Conservative Republicans. Reagan exploited this further, attacking how liberals were threatening America (attacks on Gays/Feminism).

One minor correction. The strategy divided Liberal Democrats and Southern Democrats (Dixiecrats) who then became Southern Conservative Republicans. Back then, Southern Dems were as racist as any republican.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #127 on: December 14, 2021, 12:00:16 PM »
Tolerance doesn't mean I have to be friends with or date aholes. Or as this piece says, if you want attention from liberals, "try sucking less".

https://www.salon.com/2021/12/08/young-democrats-are-right-there-is-no-reason-to-date-or-befriend/

"On the right, there was a lot of trumpeting how this supposedly proves the left are the ones who are "really" intolerant. Radio talker Matt Murphy whined that liberals "don't believe in our republic cannot abide people who think differently than them." As if not getting to have sex with or go to parties with liberals is exactly the same as having your basic rights as a citizen stripped from you.

Relatedly, a Harvard poll from last week shows "[m]ore than half of young Americans feel democracy in the country is under threat, and over a third think they may see a second U.S. civil war within their lifetimes." This isn't about a dispute over marginal tax rates. If you — quite correctly — believe that Republicans are plotting to destroy democracy, then why would you want to be friends with people who support that?

And that gets to the crux of it: Dating and friendship aren't about merely tolerating someone, it's about inviting someone into your life, as a confidante or even on an intimate level. Relationships take work to maintain. Why waste that effort on someone who can't meet the baseline requirement of seeing you or the other people in your life as full human beings?

The anger on the right over this polling, in turn, shows that this isn't really about liberal "intolerance," but an ugly sense of entitlement among conservatives. It's fueled by a belief that they should be as obnoxious, cruel, and bigoted as they want, without having to pay any social penalty for it.

Sure, conservatives can and occasionally entertain the idea of creating their own social networks and even universities, so they can hang out with each other, instead of constantly demanding attention from liberals. But apparently, they don't like each other's company any more than liberals do, and so they always circle back to yelling at liberals, accusing the left of "intolerance" for finding right-wingers unpleasant people to be around.

Ultimately, however, it comes back to this: No one is entitled to anyone else's social attention or friendship, much less a dating relationship with them. If friendships and romantic relationships with progressive are so desirable — which, as a progressive, I totally agree is true! — then the way to obtain them is to suck less."

But thats broad brush nonsense.  Not even non-liberal is plotting to destroy democracy.  Not every right leaning younger person is Alex P Keaton.  It literally synonyms and directly aligns "conservative" and "bigoted"

Ive seen plenty of people in my own friend groups who like to inject or bring politics into everything from IG stories to Twitter posts to casual conversation and then jettison anyone who doesn't full throatedly agree.  This article make it seem like you're either a Young Democrat or f-ing Charlie Kirk, when in reality there are lots of young ultra progressives who don't want anything to do with people who supported Joe Biden in the primaries cause he was too centrist.

But then again, its Salon.com which is quite slanted.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #128 on: December 14, 2021, 12:18:41 PM »
But thats broad brush nonsense.  Not even non-liberal is plotting to destroy democracy.  Not every right leaning younger person is Alex P Keaton.  It literally synonyms and directly aligns "conservative" and "bigoted"

Ive seen plenty of people in my own friend groups who like to inject or bring politics into everything from IG stories to Twitter posts to casual conversation and then jettison anyone who doesn't full throatedly agree.  This article make it seem like you're either a Young Democrat or f-ing Charlie Kirk, when in reality there are lots of young ultra progressives who don't want anything to do with people who supported Joe Biden in the primaries cause he was too centrist.

exactly. Salon and HuffPost might as well be employees of the Trump 2024 campaign since they provide so much publicity to him.

As for the "destroy democracy" comment, pure hyperbole. Plus, isn't the right trumpeting communism in the US.

Some of my closest friends voted for Trump. I don't judge them for that. Our friendships are based on greater things, specifically MU hoops. I have other friends who want AOC to be President someday, as ridiculous as that is. I don't judge someone based upon their political beliefs, which the progressive wing of the Democratic Party is now doing (especially minorities who believe differently than they do) in wanting to create their own separate society.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #129 on: December 14, 2021, 12:37:40 PM »

If you look at the survey, it specifically says "Trump voters". I think that label immediately brings to mind a person aligned with Trump and his beliefs, if you can call them that.  Trump voters are very different from what might traditionally be associated with conservatives.

Alex Keaton would be perfectly fine to hang around with; Alex Keaton had actual rational policies, that agree or disagree with, you could have a rational discussion about. That is no longer the case with the Republican party whose 2020 platform was literally "whatever Trump says". As the author says, this isn't about a disagreement over marginal tax policy, nor budget proposals or foreign policy. The Trumpsters don't give a crap about any of that; they revel in their resentment, hate, and nationalism and that's about it.

So when right wingers whine that progressives not wanting to have anything to do with them shows intolerance, they are wrong: we just don't wish to associate with obnoxious a$$holes.

You are a rational conservative who I imagine I could have a rational discussion with even though we would probably wouldn't agree most of the time. Chick and glow also strike me as the same. But a Trumpster? Not worth wasting one second on socially.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #130 on: December 14, 2021, 12:44:20 PM »
As for the "destroy democracy" comment, pure hyperbole. Plus, isn't the right trumpeting communism in the US.
Read.the.PowerPoint.

If trying to overthrow the results of a democratic election and install the loser isn't destroying democracy I'm not sure what qualifies.

Does it not count just because they were unsuccessful? A mistake Republican legislatures are trying to ensure isn't repeated by taking control over election outcomes.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #131 on: December 14, 2021, 12:56:54 PM »
Read.the.PowerPoint.

If trying to overthrow the results of a democratic election and install the loser isn't destroying democracy I'm not sure what qualifies.

Does it not count just because they were unsuccessful? A mistake Republican legislatures are trying to ensure isn't repeated by taking control over election outcomes.

January 6th was about states rights
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #132 on: December 14, 2021, 01:23:19 PM »
Trump voters are very different from what might traditionally be associated with conservatives.

Yep.

There is an entire GOP "Never Trump" movement, and it encompasses hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of Republicans. They are mostly Reagan conservatives, life-long Republicans (at least until recently), who hate that Trump and his cultists co-opted their party. They played a big role in him losing in 2020, as did suburban Republicans in swing states.

Liz Cheney's voting record shows her to be one of the most conservative members of Congress. She was one of 17 House or Senate members to vote to impeach Trump for his treasonous coup attempt, and she has continued to try to get the party out of his grip. For that, the people who rail against "cancel culture" have canceled her.

Some of the most well-known conservative names -- the Bushes, the Cheneys, George Will, Bill Kristol, Charles Krauthammer, etc -- don't (or didn't) support Trump.

My very best friend, also Marquette class of '82, is a life-long Republican whose father and grandfather were cops and Republicans. He voted for Trump in 2016 under the heading of "There's no way I'm voting for Hillary. Trump's a clown, but how bad could he be?" Then, when Trump turned out to be the worst president of our lifetimes, he voted for Biden, even as he voted for non-Trumpster Republicans elsewhere on his ballot. He's ashamed of the way he voted in 2016, and he can't even bring himself to say Trump's name.

One of my best Charlotte friends is a Republican lobbyist for the banking industry ... or he used to be a very proud conservative Republican. After 4+ years of Trumpism, "I didn't leave the party; the party left me." He's now Unaffiliated, which is what NC calls independents.

It makes a LOT of Republicans sick that they are immediately associated with a racist, narcissistic lunatic who wants to be king.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #133 on: December 14, 2021, 01:36:25 PM »
Yep.

There is an entire GOP "Never Trump" movement, and it encompasses hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of Republicans. They are mostly Reagan conservatives, life-long Republicans (at least until recently), who hate that Trump and his cultists co-opted their party. They played a big role in him losing in 2020, as did suburban Republicans in swing states.

Liz Cheney's voting record shows her to be one of the most conservative members of Congress. She was one of 17 House or Senate members to vote to impeach Trump for his treasonous coup attempt, and she has continued to try to get the party out of his grip. For that, the people who rail against "cancel culture" have canceled her.

Some of the most well-known conservative names -- the Bushes, the Cheneys, George Will, Bill Kristol, Charles Krauthammer, etc -- don't (or didn't) support Trump.

My very best friend, also Marquette class of '82, is a life-long Republican whose father and grandfather were cops and Republicans. He voted for Trump in 2016 under the heading of "There's no way I'm voting for Hillary. Trump's a clown, but how bad could he be?" Then, when Trump turned out to be the worst president of our lifetimes, he voted for Biden, even as he voted for non-Trumpster Republicans elsewhere on his ballot. He's ashamed of the way he voted in 2016, and he can't even bring himself to say Trump's name.

One of my best Charlotte friends is a Republican lobbyist for the banking industry ... or he used to be a very proud conservative Republican. After 4+ years of Trumpism, "I didn't leave the party; the party left me." He's now Unaffiliated, which is what NC calls independents.

It makes a LOT of Republicans sick that they are immediately associated with a racist, narcissistic lunatic who wants to be king.
Yeah, I think quite a few people who voted for Trump in 2016 were hedging their bets. They thought there is no way he can win, and if Hillary screws the pooch, they can always say, "Well I didn't vote for her". Also, just my opinion, I think there will be a legitimate third party waaaay before this country divides into smaller countries.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 01:39:04 PM by lawdog77 »

feedback