Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kolek  (Read 19813 times)

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
Re: Kolek
« Reply #100 on: December 13, 2021, 09:59:05 AM »
I keep seeing this ... but on what are you basing the belief that Kolek is a shooter? Nothing on his college resume to date suggests that. His resume suggests he's a solid point guard with an inconsistent shot.
My eye test of course! 

Listen, I didn't say he's a good shooter, but as our starting point guard and guy who's going to play 30+ minutes every game, the guy needs to keep shooting.  If he becomes tentative and passes up good shots it's not going to help the team...in fact it will do the opposite. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #101 on: December 13, 2021, 10:07:47 AM »
While I mostly agree with this assessment and have to catch my fandom from getting in the way...Shaka's system isn't just his long term system. It's changed since Texas where he had a big man half court game too.

We'd knew there is a lack of offensive talent going into the season so I need to bite my tongue as the newcomers adapt. However, going all in on Nevada Smith concepts at this point is a rough road. There has to be a deeper focus on efficiency if you don't have the talent. We are playing way too fast for this roster. Already, this offense is less efficient than Wojo's first season and is the worst going back to 2000, CTC's first year (and trending below that).

This idea that Shaka's not going to change and won't be more adaptable has me concerned. This roster is built for defense and it shows. Rough seas ahead.

They are playing too fast for this roster.  But IMO this is where the lack of experience is an issue.  They haven't quite figured out when to take their foot off the gas and slow it down.  Taking a good shot early in the clock is just fine.  Taking a contested one is not.  Understanding the difference is where the problem lies IMO.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #102 on: December 13, 2021, 10:21:58 AM »
TAMU

I agree Shaka is creating a system and culture and that is a top priority. Only argument, in today's game there is going to be so much turnover in players that I do not believe you solely focus on a system like you would have a few years ago. I have no idea how many guys will still be at MU in 2-3 years, but it might not be many. I am a system guy 100% and I hope he does not change his system, because it is my style of play and believe it will be proven correct down the road.

I believe that winning this year is as much as the culture as the system will be. He is not going change the game plan but IMO this season is about winning. It is not about playing for S16 or further, but playing opening weekend is a big part of the culture being built.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #103 on: December 13, 2021, 10:23:20 AM »
My eye test of course! 

Listen, I didn't say he's a good shooter, but as our starting point guard and guy who's going to play 30+ minutes every game, the guy needs to keep shooting.  If he becomes tentative and passes up good shots it's not going to help the team...in fact it will do the opposite.

Marquette has had plenty of success over the years with point guards who weren't great shooters but did other things well. And their lack of shooting/forcing up shots didn't hurt the team.
See: Tony Miller
See: Dominic James
See: Junior Cadougan

I do understand that these players had more offensive talent around them than Kolek does now, but I don't see that as a reason to force Kolek to be something he may not be. By all means, if his shooting comes along in small doses, then loosen the reins. But his shooting is absolutely hurting the team right now - and on Saturday, at least, appeared to be affecting the rest of his game for the worse. Let him play to his strengths for a while, get his confidence back up and see what happens.   

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #104 on: December 13, 2021, 10:30:36 AM »
Marquette has had plenty of success over the years with point guards who weren't great shooters but did other things well. And their lack of shooting/forcing up shots didn't hurt the team.

I do understand that these players had more offensive talent around them than Kolek does now, but I don't see that as a reason to force Kolek to be something he may not be. By all means, if his shooting comes along in small doses, then loosen the reins. But his shooting is absolutely hurting the team right now - and on Saturday, at least, appeared to be affecting the rest of his game for the worse. Let him play to his strengths for a while, get his confidence back up and see what happens.
You forgot Derrick Wilson
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #105 on: December 13, 2021, 10:42:10 AM »
We'd knew there is a lack of offensive talent going into the season so I need to bite my tongue as the newcomers adapt. However, going all in on Nevada Smith concepts at this point is a rough road. There has to be a deeper focus on efficiency if you don't have the talent. We are playing way too fast for this roster. Already, this offense is less efficient than Wojo's first season and is the worst going back to 2000, CTC's first year (and trending below that).

This idea that Shaka's not going to change and won't be more adaptable has me concerned. This roster is built for defense and it shows. Rough seas ahead.

I don't think anyone on the staff is happy with the way they're executing right now. I do think we'll see some tweaks made, but the kids gotta apply it when it's showtime.

What I see is a team given a significant amount of freedom offensively, with a framework that pushes pace and taking threes. They're young and exuberant, and haven't figured out how to corral it. They're prone to panicking when pushed by a more physical defense, and settle for rushed threes.

They figured it out to a degree against K-State. Second half offense was far more efficient. Saturday was a step back.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #106 on: December 13, 2021, 11:04:38 AM »

Want to further kill a kid's confidence?  "Hey Tyler, you aren't shooting very well so we want you to shoot less."  He's not a 20% 3 point shooter. He's in a slump.  Period.  I mean did you enjoy watching the Derrick Wilson years when teams didn't even defend him outside the 3 point line and packed the paint?  That's essentially what you are asking for here.  Teams have, will, and will continue to try to close out on Kolek if he keeps shooting.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #107 on: December 13, 2021, 11:13:31 AM »
Want to further kill a kid's confidence?  "Hey Tyler, you aren't shooting very well so we want you to shoot less."  He's not a 20% 3 point shooter. He's in a slump.  Period.  I mean did you enjoy watching the Derrick Wilson years when teams didn't even defend him outside the 3 point line and packed the paint?  That's essentially what you are asking for here.  Teams have, will, and will continue to try to close out on Kolek if he keeps shooting.

He is what his numbers say he is.  I don’t care if he keeps shooting if that’s what the staff wants.  I don’t believe he’s a 20% shooter either but if he stays around that number, teams won’t defend him if he’s shooting or not. 
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #108 on: December 13, 2021, 11:22:49 AM »

Good point, except Dom still hoisted up around 10 shots a game as a senior, while Tyler is only jacking up around 8
Not sure about usage%, as I am too lazy to look

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #109 on: December 13, 2021, 11:34:42 AM »
Good point, except Dom still hoisted up around 10 shots a game as a senior, while Tyler is only jacking up around 8
Not sure about usage%, as I am too lazy to look

DJ had 12.7 FGA per 40 minutes, with 40 percent of his shots beyond the arc. Kolek is at 10.1 per 40, with 62 percent beyond the art.
DJ's usage senior year was 20.7. Kolek's is 18.8.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #110 on: December 13, 2021, 11:44:29 AM »
Kolek doesn't need to be a good shooter to be a really solid PG for this team.  But woof, his shot is atrocious right now.  Shaka seems confident in him, and I am sure it'll come around as he continues to adapt to the speed of play.  But I don't expect him to ever be much of a scorer in his time at MU.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #111 on: December 13, 2021, 11:47:29 AM »
Want to further kill a kid's confidence?  "Hey Tyler, you aren't shooting very well so we want you to shoot less." 

If coaching is the thing that's going to kill his confidence - as opposed to, I don't know, missing 24 of his last 26 shots - then maybe he shouldn't be playing high major D1 ball.
You think Tom Izzo frets over Joey Hauser's confidence every time he subs him out?

The coaching staff's job is to put players (and the tam as a whole) in position to succeed. Telling a kid who's not just missing, but missing badly, to keep shooting regardless of the result doesn't do put him or the team in a position to succeed.
Let Kolek succeed at what he's doing well now - distributing, playing defense - and work to get him to easy shots, but giving him free rein to keep chucking helps no one.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #112 on: December 13, 2021, 11:52:28 AM »
DJ had 12.7 FGA per 40 minutes, with 40 percent of his shots beyond the arc. Kolek is at 10.1 per 40, with 62 percent beyond the art.
DJ's usage senior year was 20.7. Kolek's is 18.8.
Thanks. I would argue DJ would be a bad example for your theory then. He seemed to put up a lot of shots despite not shooting well.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #113 on: December 13, 2021, 12:02:11 PM »
If coaching is the thing that's going to kill his confidence - as opposed to, I don't know, missing 24 of his last 26 shots - then maybe he shouldn't be playing high major D1 ball.
You think Tom Izzo frets over Joey Hauser's confidence every time he subs him out?

The coaching staff's job is to put players (and the tam as a whole) in position to succeed. Telling a kid who's not just missing, but missing badly, to keep shooting regardless of the result doesn't do put him or the team in a position to succeed.
Let Kolek succeed at what he's doing well now - distributing, playing defense - and work to get him to easy shots, but giving him free rein to keep chucking helps no one.

You do realize that he's playing PG, and it is he who is working to get other's easy shots?  So, the idea of working to get him easy shots doesn't really work. - unless Shaka wants to play him at the 2 Guard..which isn't going to happen as Stevie isn't quite ready to be a PG.

Shaka believes in Kolek, and shooting 35% on 3's as a Freshman on 151 attempts is enough of a sample size to know he's a better shooter.  35% is respectable.  He's 1 of 16 from 3 in the last 3 games.  Bump that to 35% clip and he makes 4.5 more = 13.5 more points.

Tyler is a competitor and this slump is no doubt frustrating him.  A SMART coach doesn't add to that frustration by telling him to shoot less.

Regarding Joey Hauser...he's ultimately a more soft/sensitive guy.  I wouldn't say Izzo's coaching has worked very well as it relates to getting good results from Joey.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #114 on: December 13, 2021, 12:26:00 PM »

They are playing too fast for this roster.  But IMO this is where the lack of experience is an issue.  They haven't quite figured out when to take their foot off the gas and slow it down.  Taking a good shot early in the clock is just fine.  Taking a contested one is not.  Understanding the difference is where the problem lies IMO.

I agree. It is most on display in my opinion when we get in transition and can to the 3 point line to fire up a 3. It works sometimes, but always seems like we are just firing one up just because we have an opening.

I’m sure Shaka doesn’t want us passing up good looks. But sometimes I think these good looks are more a sliver of daylight that we rush up a 3 because we think we are open. That’s where I think Kolek might be rushing things a bit.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #115 on: December 13, 2021, 12:29:31 PM »
Amen, UWW. I'm not as high on Kolek as some of the people who were crowning him after the West Virginia, but I'm certainly nowhere near the people who have declared him a benchwarmer after UCLA.  People who think he needs to benched seem to only be interested in points and turnovers. It is very clear the value he brings to the team, even when he's not scoring. He gets his shot sorted and we have a very good floor general to work with.

"Shaka has a system".  "Shaka has a system"  "Shaka has a system"   Doesn't every coach "have a system"?  Didn't Tom Crean give us the weave and heave?  Did not his system work better with Wade, Diener, and Novak and then become an unmitigated disaster??   Are "systems:" not adaptable or tweaked to personnel??    If we had Shaq or Tim Duncan on our roster would we still run the same "system"? 

I am hoping guys break out of their shooting woes and this may very well be the best system for this group.  But why is it "we're going to play this way no matter what"under all circumstances and versus all opponents?  Why is it that when I'm watching a game, and we are shooting 1-15 from three in the first 12 mins , under 15% for most of a half, that I and others should say to ourselves "it's the system" and this is the way we're gonna play every minute of every game?

MUDPT

• All American
« Reply #116 on: December 13, 2021, 12:39:42 PM »
While I mostly agree with this assessment and have to catch my fandom from getting in the way...Shaka's system isn't just his long term system. It's changed since Texas where he had a big man half court game too.

The tempo is really interesting to me. He’s obviously way more to analytics then Wojo. The analytics would tell you to slow the tempo way down on Saturday.  On the other hand, playing fast (and less efficient this season) is easier to sell to recruits and transfers. I don’t think he’s “tanking,” but might be more stubborn so he can sell the system to future players. Really I have no idea.

• All American
« Reply #117 on: December 13, 2021, 12:44:33 PM »
"Shaka has a system".  "Shaka has a system"  "Shaka has a system"   Doesn't every coach "have a system"?  Didn't Tom Crean give us the weave and heave?  Did not his system work better with Wade, Diener, and Novak and then become an unmitigated disaster??   Are "systems:" not adaptable or tweaked to personnel??    If we had Shaq or Tim Duncan on our roster would we still run the same "system"? 

I am hoping guys break out of their shooting woes and this may very well be the best system for this group.  But why is it "we're going to play this way no matter what"under all circumstances and versus all opponents?  Why is it that when I'm watching a game, and we are shooting 1-15 from three in the first 12 mins , under 15% for most of a half, that I and others should say to ourselves "it's the system" and this is the way we're gonna play every minute of every game?

Every coach runs a basic, motion offense that has multiple options depending on the personnel on the floor, and has multiple sets that run through the offense.

I actually think when they slow down and are deliberate, they can get good looks.  The shots just aren't falling.  And no matter what system you run, if the shots aren't falling, you aren't going to win much.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #118 on: December 13, 2021, 12:52:35 PM »

He's averaged 6.5 FGA over the last 4 games where he is 2/26.  You really think taking 6 - 7 shots per game equates to "chucking"?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #119 on: December 13, 2021, 01:30:10 PM »
Thanks. I would argue DJ would be a bad example for your theory then. He seemed to put up a lot of shots despite not shooting well.

I didn't say anything in my theory about shot volume. I said PGs who weren't great shooters. Shooting often does not make you a good shooter.

And a key difference here is where the shots are coming from.
Over his career, just 37.8% of DJ's shots were from beyond the arc.
So far this year, 61.7% of Kolek's shots are from deep. And that's trending upward ... since returning from Charleston, 73.5% of his shots are three attempts, including 16 of his last 18 attempts (88.9%), of which he's made one.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #120 on: December 13, 2021, 01:30:22 PM »

Every coach runs a basic, motion offense that has multiple options depending on the personnel on the floor, and has multiple sets that run through the offense.

I actually think when they slow down and are deliberate, they can get good looks.  The shots just aren't falling.  And no matter what system you run, if the shots aren't falling, you aren't going to win much.

Perhaps you are right here.  I still have no idea why we seem to be in a rush once we're operating versus a set defense.  What I take issue with is this idea that if we don't jack up the first "open" shot, we can't get a better shot or the same "open" shot with a little more patience?  This is a absurd.  Whatever happened to player and ball movement?  Can we not do this within Shaka's system?  Isn't the goal to take the best shot available?

• All American
« Reply #121 on: December 13, 2021, 01:41:27 PM »
Perhaps you are right here.  I still have no idea why we seem to be in a rush once we're operating versus a set defense.  What I take issue with is this idea that if we don't jack up the first "open" shot, we can't get a better shot or the same "open" shot with a little more patience?  This is a absurd.  Whatever happened to player and ball movement?  Can we not do this within Shaka's system?  Isn't the goal to take the best shot available?

Most coaches preach that during regular game-flow, you should take a good, open shot if it is available.  Because, while more patience COULD result in a better shot, it may be that you just passed up the best shot available.

The problem is inexperienced players don't always know what "good" and "open" really mean.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #122 on: December 13, 2021, 01:50:08 PM »

Most coaches preach that during regular game-flow, you should take a good, open shot if it is available.  Because, while more patience COULD result in a better shot, it may be that you just passed up the best shot available.

Alright....maybe I'm overreacting a bit.  I will try to be a little more patient despite not being pleased with Sat. night.  :)

The problem is inexperienced players don't always know what "good" and "open" really mean.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #123 on: December 13, 2021, 01:53:55 PM »
I didn't say anything in my theory about shot volume. I said PGs who weren't great shooters. Shooting often does not make you a good shooter.

And a key difference here is where the shots are coming from.
Over his career, just 37.8% of DJ's shots were from beyond the arc.
So far this year, 61.7% of Kolek's shots are from deep. And that's trending upward ... since returning from Charleston, 73.5% of his shots are three attempts, including 16 of his last 18 attempts (88.9%), of which he's made one.
That's the thing about writing versus speaking to someone. I read your line of: "Marquette has had plenty of success over the years with point guards who weren't great shooters but did other things well. And their lack of shooting/forcing up shots didn't hurt the team" to mean DJ did not shoot a lot.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #124 on: December 13, 2021, 02:13:22 PM »
TAMU

I agree Shaka is creating a system and culture and that is a top priority. Only argument, in today's game there is going to be so much turnover in players that I do not believe you solely focus on a system like you would have a few years ago. I have no idea how many guys will still be at MU in 2-3 years, but it might not be many. I am a system guy 100% and I hope he does not change his system, because it is my style of play and believe it will be proven correct down the road.

I believe that winning this year is as much as the culture as the system will be. He is not going change the game plan but IMO this season is about winning. It is not about playing for S16 or further, but playing opening weekend is a big part of the culture being built.

Goose:

TAMU and I aren't saying Shaka doesn't care about winning games this season or that he's not trying to get to the NCAAs. But I, for one, firmly believe it is not his top priority, maybe even not in his top 3.

He wants to establish a culture of toughness, hard work and team-first mentality. He wants these kids to learn to play right on offense and defense -- and that means get instinctively great within his "system," for lack of better word. He wants to build their confidence so that, when this team is really good and something big is on the line, his players will respond confidently and effectively.

Within that framework, he definitely wants to win games, definitely wants to make the NCAA tournament. But he's simply not going to scrap what he believes in his heart will be good for the program long-term to try to beat Xavier on Saturday. He's not gonna bench Kolek and go with a triangle-and-2 just because it might help him win this particular game.

Yes, he wants to win at Xavier. He's a coach, he wants to win them all. But big picture, that's just not the most important thing to him in 2021-22. Nor should it be IMHO.

So I have to respectfully disagree that, to Shaka, "this season is about winning." IMHO, to him, it's about something way bigger than winning. It's about establishing a culture that helps us win for a decade, and he understands the growing pains involved. His quote in my tagline says it all. It's more than coach-speak; it's what he really believes.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson