Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Kolek  (Read 19694 times)

BCHoopster

• All American
Kolek
« on: December 11, 2021, 11:27:31 PM »
Kolek has had moments this year but last two games he was a mess. Shaka has to have a play to get him an open easy shot, you can not play 4 on 5 and expect to win.  His shot is so off that his misses are way off.  Also, not sure he is quick enough to play with the big boys. Maybe he gets his confidence back, but my feelings he needs to play off the bench and let others play the point right now, to much a liability right now

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
Re: Kolek
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 11:28:37 PM »
By others, you mean...who?

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 11:33:36 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 11:33:52 PM »
Shaka knows this team better than anybody. He sees him for several hours every day, watches him closely at practice, talks to him off the court. He would not be starting his second- or third-best PG and playing him max minutes if he didn't feel in his heart and mind that Kolek was by far this team's best PG option.

I wish he were the next Travis Diener, as some (even Diener IIRC!) wanted everybody to believe. He is not anything close to that. Not yet, and maybe not ever. But the guy who sees him for hours every day and whose record this season depends in great part on assessing his roster believes Tyler Kolek is the best we've got.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 11:34:34 PM »
If I think back long and hard I don’t think I can recall one time where Kolek has had an “open easy shot.”

I get it and I’m not trying to demean you but he has strengths that aren’t scoring, I just wish he didn’t waste so many possessions when it’s clear he’s currently not in a position to score.

People destroyed Vander Blue because he couldn’t shoot, but I applauded him for his defense and the extra possessions he created and the grit he showed. He then figured it out.

I don’t think Tyler can “figure it out” offensively beyond hitting 3s. I’ve never seen him score otherwise, despite his other positive attributes

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2021, 11:44:41 PM »
I don't mind him playing - he just has to STOP shooting 3s, Other than WVU, he is 6 for 42! 3 for 27 in his last 6 games. He needs to stop.

That is brutal and almost every shot has looked awful the instant it left his hand.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2021, 11:46:17 PM »
I agree he has some other attributes, but a point has to score unless the other players can score and after a 2-24 night other than Elliott you can not play 4 on 5.  Last 2 games zero points.  The happiest person has to be Sean Jones!

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2021, 11:54:40 PM »
I agree with BC.  He was an absolute mess today.  He has become easy to defend.  I think Kam, Stevie and Elliott should be cutting into his minutes substantially. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2021, 12:06:51 AM »
So, 11 games in, we've decided that we fans know the abilities of those on this Marquette basketball roster better than the coach does?

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2021, 12:11:15 AM »
I have seen enough that the coaching staff does not have the right players to play his system!

Norm

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2021, 12:12:27 AM »
With how he is playing lately, Kolek deserves no more than 10 minutes a game. He is playing terribly and does not deserve to start.

Big Papi

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2021, 12:17:28 AM »
So, 11 games in, we've decided that we fans know the abilities of those on this Marquette basketball roster better than the coach does?

I guess so.

If we can't question coaching, philosophy or anything about the games, then what's the point of having this website.

Kolek is a mess right now.  He had a string of questionable decisions in the second half that lead to 8 UCLA points.  He currently can't hit the broad side of the barn.  He is so easy to defend that every defender knows when he drives he is looking to dish the ball away.  In a way he is becoming Derrick Wilson Jr.  I get that the coach thinks he is there best option at the point.  That he rebounds and leads the team in assists, etc.  But he is trending the wrong direction and I would not be surprised that if this continues, coach will adjust accordingly.  Just like he adjust with OMax. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2021, 12:21:15 AM »
I guess so.

If we can't question coaching, philosophy or anything about the games, then what's the point of having this website.

Kolek is a mess right now.  He had a string of questionable decisions in the second half that lead to 8 UCLA points.  He currently can't hit the broad side of the barn.  He is so easy to defend that every defender knows when he drives he is looking to dish the ball away.  In a way he is becoming Derrick Wilson Jr.  I get that the coach thinks he is there best option at the point.  That he rebounds and leads the team in assists, etc.  But he is trending the wrong direction and I would not be surprised that if this continues, coach will adjust accordingly.  Just like he adjust with OMax.

Of course we can question coaching. You're right about this site giving us the opportunity to do that. I have done it in the past, and I'll do it this season. I just think that, 11 games in, with us knowing the little bit we know and Shaka knowing the lot that he knows, he gets the benefit of the doubt. At least from me.

I agree with you that Shaka will adjust accordingly if necessary.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2021, 12:23:13 AM »
I guess so.

Kolek is a mess right now.  He had a string of questionable decisions in the second half that lead to 8 UCLA points.

Accountability. That first 3 minutes in the second half would make any other guard question why he’s still out there and make him think that he’s got enough a leash to get away with it. Any other coach he’s riding pine.

I’m not saying Shaka isn’t doing the right thing btw, just pointing out the obvious.

Shaka knows how important he is to the team but at some point you have to set a standard.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2021, 12:23:25 AM »
Kolek had several horrible possessions in the second half that hurt the team big and cannot hit a basket the moment. I still believe that down the road he is going to play a big role in more wins than losses. I fully expect him to log big minutes in conference play.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2021, 12:26:37 AM »

Shaka said in the postgame that Kolek is one of the most valuable players even when he isn’t scoring. He essentially said there is no chance others will take his minutes and I believe he said he works on his shot more than anyone he’s ever coached.

I think his shooting woes are definitely more than a confidence issue though. You have a young guy moving up a level and I’m hoping he is able to eventually adjust. I don’t think he’s lacking any confidence.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2021, 12:33:18 AM »
I was as hard as anyone on Kolek during the game thread.  It went from 11 to 19 in the 2nd half at a critical time because of his blunders.  He should have sat a lot more in the 2nd half.  But he has to play as our best facilitator.  He's also a decent defender and rebounder.

Tbe fact is the entire team tonight, minus Greg Elliott, was 12-45 and shot 26%.  Incredibly, UCLA blew us out shooting 36% and 10-17 from the line.  They weren't good at all in tbe 2nd half except on 2nd chance points which killed us.  We're not beating good teams shooting 26% and that not all on Kolek. 

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2021, 12:40:11 AM »
I guess so.

This is a little over the top.  Kolek has made 10, 3 point shots in 11 games at MU.  Derrick Wilson made 11 in his whole career.  And Kolek puts a hell of a lot more pressure on a defense with his penetration than Derrick Wilson ever did.

Kolek is without question the best option to run point on this team.  He's in a major shooting slump/funk.  He will be fine. 

You don't want Greg Elliott or Kam running PG.  Stevie has some potential there, but he is definitely behind Kolek.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2021, 12:42:31 AM »
Shaka said in the postgame that Kolek is one of the most valuable players even when he isn’t scoring. He essentially said there is no chance others will take his minutes and I believe he said he works on his shot more than anyone he’s ever coached.

I think his shooting woes are definitely more than a confidence issue though. You have a young guy moving up a level and I’m hoping he is able to eventually adjust. I don’t think he’s lacking any confidence.

Shaka said in New York during media day that he would be the one guy that everyone is talking about at the end of the season that no one was currently talking about.

He has been pushing Tyler for months.

Everyone can be wrong, even Shaka. Maybe he see a bit of himself as a college player in Ty- some brilliant passing, Shaka was a big assist guy at Oregon HS, actually holds records for assists.

He likely hoped the rest would come together, it hasn’t. It’s easy to see with Tys tenacity and passing ability how some average to good shooting would make him a talked about guy in the BE.

Tyler clearly has some elite court vision and is usually pretty composed but he also needs to be checked.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2021, 12:57:20 AM »
Shaka said in New York during media day that he would be the one guy that everyone is talking about at the end of the season that no one was currently talking about.

He has been pushing Tyler for months.

Everyone can be wrong, even Shaka. Maybe he see a bit of himself as a college player in Ty- some brilliant passing, Shaka was a big assist guy at Oregon HS, actually holds records for assists.

He likely hoped the rest would come together, it hasn’t. It’s easy to see with Tys tenacity and passing ability how some average to good shooting would make him a talked about guy in the BE.

Tyler clearly has some elite court vision and is usually pretty composed but he also needs to be checked.

So do we play Morsell, Greg, and Kam extended mins?  Who plays the point?  Greg has to play off the ball and Jones isn't ready yet.  Morsell has brought the ball up on occasion but it's not ideal for us.  I'm a little surprised Ellis didn't get more of a look tonight. 

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2021, 01:02:29 AM »
So do we play Morsell, Greg, and Kam extended mins?  Who plays the point?  Greg has to play off the ball and Jones isn't ready yet.  Morsell has brought the ball up on occasion but it's not ideal for us.  I'm a little surprised Ellis didn't get more of a look tonight.

Stevie would need more minutes, as would EE, Greg and the others,  but coach knows best.

No clue what Morsell is at this point.

Norm

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2021, 01:22:10 AM »
Kolek played 36 minutes tonight. He was terrible. Kolek has now not made a basket in the last two games. He is a liability on offense and does not deserve the playing time he is getting.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2021, 01:27:19 AM »
Kolek played 36 minutes tonight. He was terrible. Kolek has now not made a basket in the last two games. He is a liability on offense and does not deserve the playing time he is getting.

36 mins tonight is hard to understand frankly.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2021, 06:11:18 AM »
He reminds me of Travis Diener
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2021, 06:57:09 AM »
Because the freshmen looked like deer in headlights.    Which can happen in big games.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 06:59:00 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.