Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: UCLA is #4. MU is not.  (Read 9398 times)

tower912

• All American
UCLA is #4. MU is not.
« on: December 11, 2021, 10:30:53 PM »
1.  MU is a young team.  Without a go to scorer. The exact same team they have been.  UCLA is grown men with lots of scorers.
2.  Got beat up on the boards.   
3.  Started slow.   
4.  Imagine how bad it would have been without Greg.   
5.  The style of play isn't going to change.   Pick and roll and dribble drive.  Pressure d trying for 32 deflections.   No amount of kvetching is going to change it.
6.  I thought Shaka played too much 3 guard offense tonight.   Gave UCLA a size advantage.  See:  rebounding.   OMP at least has the length to contest some shots and rebounds.
7.  Top 5 teams sit on crosscourt passes, TK.  So will conference opponents with detailed scouting reports.
8.  Be honest. No one thought MU would win this game.  You tried to talk yourself into it and did some whistling past the graveyard, but deep in your heart you knew.
9.   I appreciate this team never stops fighting.
10. 2 games in the 50's. 
11.  Good luck on your finals, men.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
Re: UCLA is #4. MU is not.
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 10:32:15 PM »
MU needs to add talent. Until they do that, they won’t be able to compete with teams like UCLA unless UCLA plays a very bad game. Even if Marquette plays well (and they didn’t), they still would not have beat UCLA at home.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

fjm

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 10:32:28 PM »
0 adjustments by Shaka Wojohowski.

Jaquez every time. Back down, pumpfake. Bucket.

My cousin who NEVER watches basketball literally said “that junior guy just backs down every time… are they going to defend that?”

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 10:32:51 PM »
Outside of Greg, 2-24 from 3. End of story.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Johnny B

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 10:34:05 PM »
u always give a pass for everything

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2021, 10:34:21 PM »

My cousin who NEVER watches basketball literally said “that junior guy just backs down every time… are they going to defend that?”

You need the horses to stop it. If Justin Lewis isn’t physical enough to stop it, who on the roster is? He’s by far our strongest player. Jacques had no issues backing him down. Send help? They kicked it for wide open 3s and hit them.

They’re a better team than us.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2021, 10:34:38 PM »
Coming into the season, he and Kolek were the only two proven 3 pt shooters.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2021, 10:34:43 PM »

Good lord. Are we really going to start this already? 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2021, 10:36:05 PM »
Anyway I worry that BLM is right. I know they will get better with experience. But better enough to win games like this in a couple of years?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2021, 10:36:43 PM »
Depends on how many stay.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2021, 10:38:14 PM »
You just hope they make adjustments for Xavier.
We will see how they stack up in the Big East.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2021, 10:39:11 PM »
Everyone not named Greg Elliott was 2 for 24 from three.  Terrible

MU again over 30 plus three point shots.  That’s his game.

Shaka must like Kolek, because he hardly sat after another bad game.  Some coaches would say you shoot another three, you’re sitting.  Must be a process thing.

Shaka cutting his rotation last two games. Mitchell, Joplin and Ellis getting like one/two minutes playing time. Always tough decisions for a coach, but needs to be done.

On to the Big East with week off. Going to be tough.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2021, 10:39:22 PM »

Is this real or are you playing a character called “radio show call-in guy”?

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2021, 10:40:47 PM »
u always give a pass for everything

Get used to years of this.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2021, 10:43:09 PM »

And honestly, most of the 22 didn’t have a prayer of going in. Not only did they miss, but they miss badly.

I think they fought hard but rebounding seems to be the biggest issue. Just couldn’t get much momentum going when they’d get an initial stop, but give up a board.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2021, 10:43:25 PM »

Congrats on the result you wanted. I know you're pissed it didn't stay in the 20s, but better luck next time.

Sorry if our coach doesn't set the right, um, "tone" for you.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2021, 10:45:59 PM »
0 adjustments by Shaka Wojohowski-Dukiet

FIFY

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2021, 10:46:50 PM »
I'm very pleased at being 8-3 at this point,and so would most people when the season started!

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2021, 10:48:41 PM »
How do I ignore and stop seeing someone’s posts? Do I do it through their profile? Been here a long time and don’t know that which is impressive.  About time though.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2021, 10:50:15 PM »
Stopped in for some unintentional comedy.  Scoop always delivers. 

Anyone not thrilled with 8-3 is a turd.

Lots of ups and downs coming over the next 3 months.  Amazing how shortsighted some are - hope it's a vocal minority. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2021, 10:50:46 PM »
What's most disappointing about tonight isn't even the putrid shooting minus Elliott.  It's more about taking quick shots and undisciplined overall play.  Very poor fundamentals in stretches that allowed them way too many 2nd shots.  We don't box out or go after rebounds with two hands.  We don't see the floor and over dribble constantly.  Our screens are sloppy and  all over the place which leads to poor offensive flow and no passing angles or spacing.

The only guy who played well offensively for UCLA tonight was Jaquez.  Now part of it may be the game was over in the first 10 mins but they shot like 36%. 

As for the coaching decisions tonight I can't say I was thrilled.  Early the game got away from us because of quick long shots and playing at a tempo that favored UCLA.  If they were fresh and had a game more recently they probably would have been up 35 after 20 mins.  You have to adjust based on your personnel.  We actually played solid h-c defense the first 8 mins.  As soon as it became a pseudo track meet it was over.

I also, and I think many scoopers would agree, don't understand why Kolek essentially played the entire game.  Especially after that beyond belief stretch with plenty of time left in the 2nd half.  He didn't have it and it was clear as crystal.  You play Elliot or Jones and move on to the next game after a mini break.   Needless to say we will have to play at a much higher level to have any chance of winning at Xavier. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2021, 10:54:12 PM »
What's most disappointing about tonight isn't even the putrid shooting minus Elliott.  It's more about taking quick shots and undisciplined overall play.  Very poor fundamentals in stretches that allowed them way too many 2nd shots.  We don't box out or go after rebounds with two hands.  We don't see the floor and over dribble constantly.  Our screens are sloppy and  all over the place which leads to poor offensive flow and no passing angles or spacing.

The only guy who played well offensively for UCLA tonight was Jaquez.  Now part of it may be the game was over in the first 10 mins but they shot like 36%. 

As for the coaching decisions tonight I can't say I was thrilled.  Early the game got away from us because of quick long shots and playing at a tempo that favored UCLA.  If they were fresh and had a game more recently they probably would have been up 35 after 20 mins.  You have to adjust based on your personnel.  We actually played solid h-c defense the first 8 mins.  As soon as it became a pseudo track meet it was over.

I also, and I think many scoopers would agree, don't understand why Kolek essentially played the entire game.  Especially after that beyond belief stretch with plenty of time left in the 2nd half.  He didn't have it and it was clear as crystal.  You play Elliot or Jones and move on to the next game after a mini break.   Needless to say we will have to play at a much higher level to have any chance of winning at Xavier.

It’s a double edged sword. If we slow it down, we can’t score in the half court. If we speed it up, we give up easy baskets.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2021, 10:54:40 PM »
Salty Wojo stans are so salty and it’s so hilarious  ;D
No Finish Line

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2021, 10:57:29 PM »

Lots of ups and downs coming over the next 3 months.  Amazing how shortsighted some are - hope it's a vocal minority.

Agree. 8-3 is a huge success for this group. We’re in a position to be on the bubble with 500 play from here on out.

There’s been some reason for concern in this past week’s games that lead me to believe we may have already peaked as far as this season’s team success goes (ie we may fall off the cliff now).

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2021, 10:57:47 PM »

We have astute fans VBM.  I agree that 8-3 is 8-3 and we should be pleased with that going into the BEast schedule.  But I think it's fair to share concerns after watching the last three games.  The shooting is quite worrisome because we essentially put all our eggs in one basket.   We play in one of the best conferences in the country and I just think tbe fans understand that we have areas we drastically need to improve.

feedback