Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU basketball bizzaro gamedays  (Read 4258 times)

Dickthedribbler

• All American
MU basketball bizzaro gamedays
« on: December 11, 2021, 12:03:53 PM »
You'd think there'd be more, but I can only recall these whacky gameday occurrences:

1. The game on the battleship in Charleston a few years ago (against Ohio State I Think) that got cancelled due to moisture forming on the floor. Everlasting memories of Sailor Buzz running around the deck with a mop and a bucket (scheduling a college basketball game outdoors at night in November is a tricky proposition).

2. January 1979 Saturday night home game against Notre Dame. It started snowing Friday night and didn't quit until Sunday morning. One of the worst blizzards ever in Milwaukee. But, since ND and the referees got in town Friday they played the game. Trouble was hardly anyone could get to the Arena if they had to drive. Students could walk from campus. Biggest home game of the season played in a half full house

3. The Providence "bat" game that was delayed as I recall about 30 minutes

4. Sunday afternoon game in the mid-1990s against Cincinnati when the lights at the Bradley Center went out for about 39-40 minutes ( not quite enough time for Huggins to duck over to Goolsbys).

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
Re: MU basketball bizzaro gamedays
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2021, 12:16:25 PM »
@ Providence  condensation game - "no travelling"

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2021, 12:21:06 PM »
Siblings of players coming out of the stands...
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2021, 12:23:51 PM »
Of the 6 mentioned, 3 have involved Providence. The condensation game was pretty maddening.

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2021, 12:34:08 PM »
I was in Atlanta watching the condensation game in a bar with Charlie Pierce, ( he was covering the DNC meeting  and I was attending- luckily the new chairman got elected in time for me to run out and find a bar for us to watch the game while he wrote the story lol)   I didn’t actually realize at first what the heck was going on- he was I think posting on Twitter about it as it was happening.
In-person for me would be the bat game.

erubiel

• Walk-On
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2021, 12:41:28 PM »
Lower level bizzaro... First year of three amigos. Huge blizzard hits NYC after MU arrives and Rutgers coach couldn't fly back for the game. A small, but spirited crowd sees MU lose at the RAC.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2021, 12:48:37 PM »
First roundNCAA  bomb scare game in California?

erubiel

• Walk-On
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2021, 12:57:17 PM »
First roundNCAA  bomb scare game in California?

I had almost forgotten Jean Felix.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2021, 01:01:13 PM »
Can't remember the opponent, but it was a weeknight game during a bilzzard at the old MECCA with no more than a couple thousand people who braved the elements, when the announcement echoed through the mostly empty arena: "Tonight's Attendance Eleven-thousand Fifty-two. A Sellout."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2021, 01:13:49 PM »
Wasn't there a game a few years ago where a blizzard moved a game with SJU from MSG to their on campus arena and delayed the game a day?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2021, 01:17:17 PM »
Lower level bizzaro... First year of three amigos. Huge blizzard hits NYC after MU arrives and Rutgers coach couldn't fly back for the game. A small, but spirited crowd sees MU lose at the RAC.

Gary Waters got fired for that too. Flew out to be inducted into the Kent State Hall of Fame.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2021, 01:17:30 PM »
#5 - MidNite start for MU vs. Russia exhibition game back in the 70s.  That was quite an experience for an exhibition game.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2021, 02:06:58 PM »
#5 - MidNite start for MU vs. Russia exhibition game back in the 70s.  That was quite an experience for an exhibition game.

I heard about that game often growing up. Hoping tonight's circumstances allow for a wild-ass building like that.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2021, 02:38:11 PM »
Russians, blizzard again UW and ND all come to mind.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2021, 02:43:19 PM »
The entire Dukiet experience comes to mind.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2021, 02:45:00 PM »
Tower

Good call. Fortunately I skipped most of that era.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2021, 03:19:52 PM »
Today is going to go down as one of the strangest. The day started off learning of the time change, scrambling around to see who in the family could attend and planning my long pregame. Shortly after getting everything dialed in I got a call from my brother in law saying he wanted to go to the game with us, no problem except he needs a wheelchair to get around in this type of environment.

So, since he is the sole reason why I am an MU basketball fan for a half century I had to find a wheelchair for him, he is using a walker around the house. After fiddling around for a few hours I was able to rent a wheelchair and restructure my pregame activities.

While the day has been hectic and confusing, I cannot wait to get my brother in law into the Fiserv. I could never thank him enough for the countless MU experiences he provided me and I hope this former Warrior sees MU beat the fxxk out of UCLA. Also, he provided a great bar for me to drink at while at MU.

I will gladly shorten my pregame to spend tonight with him. Another silver lining, this reminds me of the last MU game I went to with my Dad and still makes me tear up. So, if you see a guy pushing a tall guy in a wheelchair, that will be me.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2021, 03:22:06 PM by Goose »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2021, 03:21:52 PM »
Today is going to go down as one of the strangest. The day started off learning of the time change, scrambling around to see who in the family could attend and planning my long pregame. Shortly after getting everything dialed in I got a call from my brother in law saying he wanted to go to the game with us, no problem except he needs a wheelchair to get around in this type of environment.

So, since he is the sole reason why I am an MU basketball fan for a half century I had to find a wheelchair for him, he is using a walker around the house. After fiddling around for a few hours I was able to rent a wheelchair and restructure my pregame activities.

While the day has been hectic and confusing, I cannot wait to get my brother in law into the Fiserv. I could never thank him enough for the countless MU experiences he provided me and I hope this former Warrior sees MU best the fxxk out of UCLA. Also, he provided a great bar for me to drink at while at MU.

I will gladly shorten my pregame to spend tonight with him. Another silver lining, this reminds me of the last MU game I went to with my Dad and still makes me tear up. So, if you see a guy pushing a tall guy in a wheelchair, that will be me.

That’s great! Enjoy the day and bring home a win!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2021, 04:40:22 PM »

2. January 1979 Saturday night home game against Notre Dame. It started snowing Friday night and didn't quit until Sunday morning. One of the worst blizzards ever in Milwaukee. But, since ND and the referees got in town Friday they played the game. Trouble was hardly anyone could get to the Arena if they had to drive. Students could walk from campus. Biggest home game of the season played in a half full house

I don't remember all the details of this game because it was a bazillion years ago, but I remember the storm and I remember battling the snow and wind to get to The Arena. I remember one of my friends shouting, "Tie a rope between us!" Apparently a reference to ropes that used to run through Chicago in the olden days to help people navigate this kind of storm?

There weren't even all the students who normally would go because it was the end of winter break and many hadn't made their way back to campus yet ... and some wouldn't arrive in time for classes Monday due to the storm.

And I remember that we blew the damn game! I just looked and found this photo of Odell Ball going at it with effen Laimbeer.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2021, 04:55:48 PM »

On the way home from that game there was a pickup truck of MU kids in the back bed driving alongside my parents and they were asking my mom to roll down her window. Once rolled down, my Mom was pelted with snow balls, tossed softly, but into the car.

What I won’t forget about that is how hard my Dad was laughing. She had been busting his balls for drinking at the game and driving in the snow. I remember him saying the girls in the pickup got the last laugh that night.

Also, once we arrived home my Dad missed our driveway and left his car half on the median and half in the street. He was a character and did not care one bit that the car could be towed or damaged. Turned off the car and went into the house and went to bed.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2021, 04:57:26 PM »

On the way home from that game there was a pickup truck of MU kids in the back bed driving alongside my parents and they were asking my mom to roll down her window. Once rolled down, my Mom was pelted with snow balls, tossed softly, but into the car.

What I won’t forget about that is how hard my Dad was laughing. She had been busting his balls for drinking at the game and driving in the snow. I remember him saying the girls in the pickup got the last laugh that night.

Also, once we arrived home my Dad missed our driveway and left his car half on the median and half in the street. He was a character and did not care one bit that the car could be towed or damaged. Turned off the car and went into the house and went to bed.

That's hilarious, Goose!

Have a great time tonight, and bring us a resounding victory!!!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Shooter Flatch

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2021, 05:54:49 PM »
Can't remember the opponent, but it was a weeknight game during a bilzzard at the old MECCA with no more than a couple thousand people who braved the elements, when the announcement echoed through the mostly empty arena: "Tonight's Attendance Eleven-thousand Fifty-two. A Sellout."

I think this was  Louisville.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2021, 06:16:12 PM »
Russians, blizzard again UW and ND all come to mind.

I remember that ND blizzard game. Was that right after Christmas break?

Warriors4ever

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2021, 06:32:23 PM »
It was right before classes started up again, I am pretty sure.
I wasn’t at the game, but I have a related memory. My brother was a student and he and his friends had tickets for the game, he had to get to like Northbrook or Wheeling  or some  place like that to catch his ride, so I went  with him to drive the car back to the far northwest side of the city. Our parents decided to come along to be like extra weight in the car or something, or just in case I got stuck. I got all the way back home and had to turn into a side street, I managed to hit the ruts ok, but then at the next turn, there weren’t even ruts, and the car got stuck in front of our house. Some neighbor kids pushed it into the garage and it sat there for at least a week.
But younger brother and his friends made it to the game , I think they did like a 180 at some point.

feedback