[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Kohl hole o sole' mio  (Read 13456 times)

NCMUFan

• All American
Re: Kohl hole o sole' mio
« Reply #100 on: December 05, 2021, 12:24:26 PM »
Stephen Curry never appeared to be the strongest looking guy out there.

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #101 on: December 05, 2021, 12:51:03 PM »
Tower

I would be surprised if the there were a lot of players still here in 2-3 years. I do agree on building the culture and that is the key to long term success. My gut tells me that we will have a big number of newcomers again next season, especially transfers that fit the culture. To be honest, I am counting on big turnover and a higher level if talent. That said, I do believe that all of the young guys have upside.

My only negative thus far would be that our two best players are playing to showcase with the hopes of playing at the next level. The good news on that, it appears they both look like they are team guys and want to win.

What, exactly, is the "culture" that Shaka's trying to bring?

Fast paced with guys that aren't good shooters jacking up the first 3 they see?

A passive press that doesn't achieve much other than maybe tiring out our own guys and gives up wide open shots or dunks for the opponent?  They gave up a gigantic amount of points to the freaking slow-down Badgers.  You have to adjust your preferred style of play if the players just aren't talented enough to thrive at it.

I do agree that the best case scenario is that this year's kind of rag-tag group is just a stop-gap and guys that can actually shoot will be brought in next year.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #102 on: December 05, 2021, 12:53:58 PM »
Davis won’t turn pro.  He loves college and wants to get his Agricultural Journalism degree so he can host a sports talk radio show
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #103 on: December 05, 2021, 01:18:07 PM »
Could well be.  Though, he likely does need to get stronger.

Almost ever college player needs to get stronger. That doesn’t stop many first-round draft picks from declaring for the draft.

Davis won’t turn pro.  He loves college and wants to get his Agricultural Journalism degree so he can host a sports talk radio show

What’s not to love?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

panda

• All American
« Reply #104 on: December 05, 2021, 01:40:50 PM »

A passive press that doesn't achieve much other than maybe tiring out our own guys and gives up wide open shots or dunks for the opponent?  They gave up a gigantic amount of points to the freaking slow-down Badgers.  You have to adjust your preferred style of play if the players just aren't talented enough to thrive at it.

I do agree that the best case scenario is that this year's kind of rag-tag group is just a stop-gap and guys that can actually shoot will be brought in next year.

Bring back Wojo. Now that guy brought in some shooters.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #105 on: December 05, 2021, 01:44:20 PM »
Almost ever college player needs to get stronger. That doesn’t stop many first-round draft picks from declaring for the draft.

What’s not to love?

He’ll get stronger in the NBA like everybody does. I don’t think strength is currently a limiting factor for him. I think he’d have a solid rookie season next year for whomever takes him. He has a really great game and he’s not as much of a douche like some of the others they’ve had in the past (Hayes, dekker, Kaminsky, etc).

MU82

• All American
« Reply #106 on: December 05, 2021, 02:14:00 PM »

I'm looking forward to you mobilizing the big-money donors so you can get Shaka fired and bring in Coach K.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #107 on: December 05, 2021, 02:37:37 PM »
He would be more likely to try to get hologram Rupp.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #108 on: December 05, 2021, 03:49:54 PM »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

NolongerWarriors

• All American
« Reply #109 on: December 05, 2021, 04:57:06 PM »
I'm looking forward to you mobilizing the big-money donors so you can get Shaka fired and bring in Coach K.

Shaka's at MU for as long as he chooses.  Lifetime tenure if he wants it.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #110 on: December 05, 2021, 06:33:27 PM »

😂😂

MU82

• All American
« Reply #111 on: December 05, 2021, 06:39:00 PM »
Shaka's at MU for as long as he chooses.  Lifetime tenure if he wants it.

Not if you're able parlay your superior knowledge into a job as either Marquette AD or Marquette president. Before your introductory press conference, you can send Shaka packing. Good luck with your application!

Warrior of Law

• All American
« Reply #112 on: December 06, 2021, 08:36:03 AM »
Shaka Smart is very smart coach.  He clearly knew, and now knows, that the defense they played resulted a team shooting 70% in the 2nd half.  The reality is that MU will lose a lot of games because of that defensive philosophy.  The trade-off is that, over time, the defense (and talent) will improve, and it will result in victories.  It's a process, and it requires patience.  I have to remind myself of that, too.

"You can only protect your liberties in this world by protecting the other man's freedom. You can only be free if I am free."  Clarence Darrow

GrimmReaper33

• Starter
« Reply #113 on: December 06, 2021, 11:21:42 AM »
All of the talk before the game surrounded 'tempo' and how important that would be.  Whoever controls the tempo will win the game I heard/read over and over.  Interestingly, MU did control the tempo, the game had more possessions than MU's season average.  I think that speaks to how bad our defense was.  Allowing a team like Wisconsin to score like they did even when being sped up beyond their normal style, is not a good sign.

Admittedly, UW appears to be much better than expected so far this season, but that still was a very bad defensive performance on Saturday.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 11:23:15 AM by GrimmReaper33 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #114 on: December 06, 2021, 12:55:37 PM »
Shaka Smart is very smart coach.  He clearly knew, and now knows, that the defense they played resulted a team shooting 70% in the 2nd half.  The reality is that MU will lose a lot of games because of that defensive philosophy.  The trade-off is that, over time, the defense (and talent) will improve, and it will result in victories.  It's a process, and it requires patience.  I have to remind myself of that, too.

Excellent post.

Shaka of course wants to win every game. He is a coach, that's how they're wired, no matter what level they're coaching at.

But he's got the bigger picture in mind, as he should. He wants to win this year, sure, but he wants to win BIG in Year 3 and beyond. If installing his system with players that right now aren't ideal for it means a few losses this season, I think he's OK with that.

"It’s not a quick fix. It’s not an instant-gratification thing. It’s a drip-by-drip process."

TheREALwrk

• Team Captain
« Reply #115 on: December 06, 2021, 01:16:00 PM »

Jesus, man. It's been 9 games. I thought I was in a thread from a year ago about Wojo with the way you wrote this post.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #116 on: December 06, 2021, 02:13:35 PM »
It isn't Shaka, per se.   He was unhappy with Wojo, too.  He is just unhappy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #117 on: December 06, 2021, 02:17:27 PM »

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #118 on: December 06, 2021, 02:20:56 PM »
Wanna hug it out?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #119 on: December 06, 2021, 02:24:31 PM »
Oh no, he has made it clear it is about Shaka and his social stances. His bitching has nothing to do with basketball. He'd be even more unhappy if Shaka and MU were 9-0 at this point.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 02:28:08 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2021, 02:41:35 PM »
You are on the right path, but you really meed to review his posts from when he joined.   He was unhappy with Wojo and Theo for parallel reasons.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2021, 02:49:34 PM »
Oh no, he has made it clear it is about Shaka and his social stances. His bitching has nothing to do with basketball. He'd be even more unhappy if Shaka and MU were 9-0 at this point.

Remember, he only showed up after Theo and the team said something about the Jacob Blake shooting, and his posts have been about 99% negative since that time.  I think he is one of two posters who used to post here fairly regularly, both of whom haven't posted since this guy showed up in the summer of 2020.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2021, 02:53:09 PM »
Yes, expressed his hatred of Theo, BLM, Shaka, Jacob Blake, "lefty" Wojo, and on and on and on. And so, since Shaka was outspoken in support of BLM and social causes, the right-whinger takes every opportunity to dump on him. It has nothing to do with actual basketball.

I am sure he is quite popular at his 3 Percenter meetings however.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 02:54:47 PM by TSmith34 »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2021, 03:10:18 PM »
And so, since Shaka was outspoken in support of BLM

That is pretty nice that Shaka supports our MU Scoop posters.   ;D

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2021, 03:22:55 PM »
Wanna hug it out?

I should have written "Yep" before the emojis for No Longer.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2021, 03:32:50 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

feedback