[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread  (Read 123660 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: 2022 MLB Thread
« Reply #1725 on: October 20, 2022, 08:37:58 AM »
I always liked the youth umpires who said at the start... 'we are going to move it along today.    Tell your kids the strike zone is the chalk.    If it is close, it is a strike.    I don't feel like watching a walk-fest.   Swing the bats.'     

The stakes are a little different, obviously, though you might not know it by listening to the parents.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1726 on: October 20, 2022, 08:41:53 AM »
I always liked the youth umpires who said at the start... 'we are going to move it along today.    Tell your kids the strike zone is the chalk.    If it is close, it is a strike.    I don't feel like watching a walk-fest.   Swing the bats.'     

The stakes are a little different, obviously, though you might not know it by listening to the parents.

Oh, yeah.  When I umped 8-9 year-old baseball, my zone was huge.  Only one coach complained and it was the one who didn’t have an actual kid in the league.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1727 on: October 20, 2022, 08:49:46 AM »
I coached that age.    You tell the kids over and over to swing if it is close, that they have been warned.     And then the same look of disbelief when the umpire does exactly what he said he was going to do.   (shrug)   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1728 on: October 20, 2022, 09:01:51 AM »

Yep, I use the batter's box lines. If it's between the lines, it's a strike ... and every coach knows it. Obviously high and low are more subjective.

Oh, yeah.  When I umped 8-9 year-old baseball, my zone was huge.  Only one coach complained and it was the one who didn’t have an actual kid in the league.

My strike zone gets REAL big in a lopsided game. I had one last week (11-12 year olds) where one team was killing the other and we only needed to get through the 4th inning for it to be mercy-ruled. The best player is in the box in the top of the 4th. The first 3 pitches aren't close, so it's 3-0. The next one is a little inside and about shoulder high, and I call it a strike. The kid says, "Really?" And I say, "You don't want to walk. You want to hit." He swings at the next pitch, hits a double into the gap. As he stands on second base, he smiles, gives me the thumbs-up and says, "Thanks!"
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1729 on: October 20, 2022, 09:45:47 AM »
Yeah, the next time a youth baseball coach questions one of my calls, I'm just gonna say, "Did you see the big-league home-plate umpire last night? Those guys are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars, and it's the league championship series so they are supposed to be the best of the best. And they still miss a dozen ball/strike calls a game. So cut this broken-down, working-for-peanuts, youth-league ump some slack!"

I still laugh about the time I saw parents in an 12U volleyball match complaining about the ref...who happened to have been the only US Volleyball ref working the Rio Olympics (and was R2 in the Women's Gold Medal Match).
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #1730 on: October 20, 2022, 09:46:34 AM »
A shame that the Brewers couldn’t figure out what was wrong with Hader and correct it, as the Padres obviously did.

Fire Budenholzer’s azz!

I think you put your sports in a blender

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1731 on: October 20, 2022, 09:50:28 AM »
I think he knows and was making a funny.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1732 on: October 20, 2022, 09:51:11 AM »
I think he knows and was making a "funny."

FIFY
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1733 on: October 20, 2022, 09:51:37 AM »
Did you?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1734 on: October 20, 2022, 10:12:29 AM »
I still laugh about the time I saw parents in an 12U volleyball match complaining about the ref...who happened to have been the only US Volleyball ref working the Rio Olympics (and was R2 in the Women's Gold Medal Match).

Perfect.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1735 on: October 20, 2022, 09:47:26 PM »
Altuve needs to grow a pair and lay the guy out.

Think Monica Seles.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2022, 11:06:53 PM by Jockey »

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1736 on: October 22, 2022, 12:18:40 PM »
Houston Astros bench coach Joe Espada has reportedly been named Chicago White Sox manager for 2023.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/report-houston-astros-bench-coach-joe-espada-named-manager-of-chicago-white-sox/ar-AA13eHv7?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=9db887983dc04f1eb2b4c4a9d44721af

I am an avid Astros fan, and we will greatly miss Joe. Dusty is the elderly CEO and tone setter for this club. Joe is the tune player...every note, every detail is attended to with intensity, detail and focus. A huge coaching key to our recent success.

Best Astros bench coach since Alex Cora (and without Cora's fatal flaw of a willingness to cheat, ...add Carlos Beltran here too-- Mets fans)

Joe is respected and listened to by Vets here, and remains aware at all times of the younger players issues or what they need work on

He managed during some COVID time for Dusty. He isnt yet hip and comfortable with the press but that should be way down the list anyway. Joe is ready to be a really good manager for y'all

Our sincere congrats to the White Sox. We think you got a really good one there. Best of luck and success, Joe.

BTW News broke also that Rangers hired Bruce Bochy. This should be a good fit, assuming Bochy is re-energized and fully engaged. Texas should be getting better.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #1737 on: October 23, 2022, 05:15:47 PM »
padres coach is going to get some serious chit and for good reason.

they trade for the best reliever in MLB and he saves him for the 9th??  keeps suarez in to give up big kahuna and there ain't no 9th.  sends hader off to an early off season
don't...don't don't don't don't

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1738 on: October 23, 2022, 05:17:44 PM »
Brewers clearly ran into a buzzsaw trying to catch the Phillies.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1739 on: October 23, 2022, 05:18:05 PM »
You knew the Phillies were serious when they overcame Yadier Molina
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1740 on: October 23, 2022, 05:20:10 PM »
The one guy you don’t let beat you. C’mon, Melvin.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1741 on: October 23, 2022, 05:23:36 PM »
Are you kidding? The Phillies were swept by the Cubs on September 29. Later that evening, the Brewers started a series with Miami at home and promptly went 1-3. The Brewers had every opportunity to pressure the Phillies, but couldn't manage it at all.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1742 on: October 23, 2022, 06:00:18 PM »
Are you kidding? The Phillies were swept by the Cubs on September 29. Later that evening, the Brewers started a series with Miami at home and promptly went 1-3. The Brewers had every opportunity to pressure the Phillies, but couldn't manage it at all.
Yes, I was kidding

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1743 on: October 23, 2022, 06:22:44 PM »
Will the steak continue? Brewers have been eliminated by the eventual champion for how many years now?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1744 on: October 23, 2022, 10:20:43 PM »
Yankees botch a DP grounder in the 7th ... and Alvarez makes 'em pay with a game-tying single.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1745 on: October 23, 2022, 11:11:45 PM »
Good for Dusty Baker, one of the real good guys in baseball. I’m rooting for him to win it all.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1746 on: October 23, 2022, 11:34:39 PM »
Good for Dusty Baker, one of the real good guys in baseball. I’m rooting for him to win it all.

Agree100%.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1747 on: October 24, 2022, 03:43:35 AM »
Maybe he wins the WS, retires and goes off with the sunset.

Dusty is 73, in his final contract year, as is GM James Click, and neither have worked out any extensions for 2023.

BTW,
 Sweeping the Yanks feels especially good
« Last Edit: October 24, 2022, 03:53:51 AM by HouWarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1748 on: October 24, 2022, 10:01:11 AM »
Houston Astros bench coach Joe Espada has reportedly been named Chicago White Sox manager for 2023.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/report-houston-astros-bench-coach-joe-espada-named-manager-of-chicago-white-sox/ar-AA13eHv7?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=9db887983dc04f1eb2b4c4a9d44721af

I am an avid Astros fan, and we will greatly miss Joe. Dusty is the elderly CEO and tone setter for this club. Joe is the tune player...every note, every detail is attended to with intensity, detail and focus. A huge coaching key to our recent success.

Best Astros bench coach since Alex Cora (and without Cora's fatal flaw of a willingness to cheat, ...add Carlos Beltran here too-- Mets fans)

Joe is respected and listened to by Vets here, and remains aware at all times of the younger players issues or what they need work on

He managed during some COVID time for Dusty. He isnt yet hip and comfortable with the press but that should be way down the list anyway. Joe is ready to be a really good manager for y'all

Our sincere congrats to the White Sox. We think you got a really good one there. Best of luck and success, Joe.

BTW News broke also that Rangers hired Bruce Bochy. This should be a good fit, assuming Bochy is re-energized and fully engaged. Texas should be getting better.

I don’t think so.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1749 on: October 24, 2022, 12:39:27 PM »
What a contrast in recent MVPs.

Bryce Harper, the 2021 NL MVP, has been unconscious.  Batting .420 in the playoffs, slugging over .900 with 5 HRs and 11 RBIs, many at huge moments.  That GW HR last night was storybook.

Meanwhile, Judge, after an incredible season, on the eve of a monster contract, was BREATHTAKINGLY bad in the postseason.  Including a special 1 for 16, 0 RBI performance in the ALCS.

Ive got nothing against Judge personally, but it absolutely seems like the pressure of the chase and the moment got to him.  Even before the playoffs, in his last 15 games of the season, after reaching 60, he hit .230 with 3 RBIs.  And then the last 2 series.  Its all interesting as a team prepares to hand him the keys to Scrooge McDuck's vault

feedback