collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread  (Read 123285 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2022 MLB Thread
« Reply #1625 on: October 11, 2022, 06:19:03 PM »
Wow!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1626 on: October 11, 2022, 06:20:28 PM »
Scott Servais should be fired on the spot.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1627 on: October 11, 2022, 06:24:06 PM »

Why?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1628 on: October 11, 2022, 06:50:36 PM »

I mean, he managed them to back to back 90 win seasons for the first time in 20 years, so pump the brakes.

But bringing in a cold starter to face a strong team's best hitter...who then pitches right at him...is a choice.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1629 on: October 11, 2022, 07:04:47 PM »
Probably pulling for the Yankees.  Glad Matt Carpentar is finally playing in front of baseball’s best fans
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1630 on: October 11, 2022, 07:12:09 PM »
Why?

Because that was a horrendously awful decision that defied any sort of logic and what got the Mariners to the playoffs in the first place

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1631 on: October 11, 2022, 07:17:20 PM »

I wasn't stunned that Servais brought in Ray there because managers do this kind of thing all the time in the postseason, but I was pretty darn surprised that Ray threw 2 of the exact same pitches in the exact same zone to a great hitter who murders fastballs. Servais runs the team, and he is a former catcher. He and the pitching coach no doubt drew up a game plan to go after each Astro batter. And Servais was the last to give Ray instructions before Ray started work. So you're right that it reflects poorly on Servais.

Alvarez is a tremendous hitter and he might have hit any pitcher throwing any pitch in that situation. But he sure as hell was gonna hit a fastball right down the middle -- the exact same pitch as the one before that he had a great cut at and fouled off.

The Mariners knocked Verlander out of the game and most of the team deserved better. The loss is on Ray, the pitching coach and the manager.

And credit the Astros for hanging in the game, Baker for keeping their spirits up (he has flaws as a manager, but he's great at that), and of course Alvarez for delivering (and the previous batter, Pena, for coming through with a 2-strike hit that made Servais think he had to bring in Ray).

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1632 on: October 11, 2022, 07:28:12 PM »

I think you've called for just about everybody to be fired this year. It is your go-to line.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1633 on: October 11, 2022, 08:38:14 PM »
I think you've called for just about everybody to be fired this year. It is your go-to line.

Your go to is getting bodied by everyone on here.

I'll stick to knowing sports.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1634 on: October 11, 2022, 08:49:03 PM »
I wasn't stunned that Servais brought in Ray there because managers do this kind of thing all the time in the postseason, but I was pretty darn surprised that Ray threw 2 of the exact same pitches in the exact same zone to a great hitter who murders fastballs. Servais runs the team, and he is a former catcher. He and the pitching coach no doubt drew up a game plan to go after each Astro batter. And Servais was the last to give Ray instructions before Ray started work. So you're right that it reflects poorly on Servais.

Alvarez is a tremendous hitter and he might have hit any pitcher throwing any pitch in that situation. But he sure as hell was gonna hit a fastball right down the middle -- the exact same pitch as the one before that he had a great cut at and fouled off.

The Mariners knocked Verlander out of the game and most of the team deserved better. The loss is on Ray, the pitching coach and the manager.

And credit the Astros for hanging in the game, Baker for keeping their spirits up (he has flaws as a manager, but he's great at that), and of course Alvarez for delivering (and the previous batter, Pena, for coming through with a 2-strike hit that made Servais think he had to bring in Ray).

Correct the them in baseball is its the one sport where teams/coaches just flat out stop doing what got them to the playoffs and do things that they would never, ever do it the regular season.

This move was non sensical on every level.

1. There is no platoon edge with Alvarez he mashes lefties and actually hits for a higher average against them.

2. Ray throws meatballs, all the time. Third in the MLB in homers.

3. Ray is a fast ball pitcher and Alvarez was literally the 2nd best hitter in baseball on heaters

4. Ray has zero experience in relief

5. Ray just pitched Saturday.

6. Ray sucked on saturday. And he sucked his last 5 starts of the season.

7. They had their CLOSER in, pitching in his literal role on the team. To let a guy who isnt pitching well, isnt a good match up pitch in a role that........isnt his role.

8. For good measure. The Astros flat out owned Ray this year.

Woulda been a smarter move to just walk the tying run into scoring position and put the winning runner on 1B and face Bregman than let Ray face Alvarez. And no, I dont like that move either. But anything was better than Ray.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1635 on: October 11, 2022, 09:05:17 PM »
Playoffs. This...Has happened only twice in MLB postseason history:

Two out
 Bottom of the ninth.
 Home team down and facing their last out:

1) October 15, 1988, at Dodger Stadium in Los Angeles (Game 1 1988 WS A's/Dodgers)....Vin Scully.."And look who's coming up!" ...
 Kirk Gibson  blasts a 2 run game winning walk off homer : SEE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4nwMDZYXTI

2) October 11, 2022, at Minute Maid Park in Houston (Game 1 2022 ALDS Mariners/Astros) ...Mariners come off a historic comeback wild card sweep down 7 to Toronto and then in this game continue the momentum, by chasing likely 2022 Cy young winner Justin Verlander for 6 runs, leading most of the game by 4 runs. Bottom of the 9th, down 7-5, Astros David Hensley, the rookie of just one month in MLB, who got the last roster spot (for his extra bat) battles to a 3-2 HBP. Down to their last out, Astros Rookie Jeremy Pena, in his first playoff game, punches a single. Two on Two out. The Mariners bring in Robbie Ray, 2021 Cy Young winner ....and he gives up to Yordan Alvarez  an 0-1 fastball 438 foot 3 run game winning walk off homer SEE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UChjHEMLcIg

How can you not love baseball
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 09:19:03 PM by HouWarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1636 on: October 11, 2022, 10:22:50 PM »
Correct the them in baseball is its the one sport where teams/coaches just flat out stop doing what got them to the playoffs and do things that they would never, ever do it the regular season.

This move was non sensical on every level.

1. There is no platoon edge with Alvarez he mashes lefties and actually hits for a higher average against them.

2. Ray throws meatballs, all the time. Third in the MLB in homers.

3. Ray is a fast ball pitcher and Alvarez was literally the 2nd best hitter in baseball on heaters

4. Ray has zero experience in relief

5. Ray just pitched Saturday.

6. Ray sucked on saturday. And he sucked his last 5 starts of the season.

7. They had their CLOSER in, pitching in his literal role on the team. To let a guy who isnt pitching well, isnt a good match up pitch in a role that........isnt his role.

8. For good measure. The Astros flat out owned Ray this year.

Woulda been a smarter move to just walk the tying run into scoring position and put the winning runner on 1B and face Bregman than let Ray face Alvarez. And no, I dont like that move either. But anything was better than Ray.

So what you’re saying is it wasn’t very good by the Mariners, right?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1637 on: October 12, 2022, 10:36:04 AM »
Well, at least you aren't calling his execution.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1638 on: October 12, 2022, 07:13:39 PM »
Whoever decided the Braves should swing at every pitch Zack Wheeler throws and continually hit weak pop ups and grounders, should not game plan ever again.

Day after a meh bullpen has to pitch nearly 7 innings. You allow that teams ace to get through 3 innings on 10 pitches an inning.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1639 on: October 12, 2022, 08:37:24 PM »
Whoever decided the Braves should swing at every pitch Zack Wheeler throws and continually hit weak pop ups and grounders, should not game plan ever again.

Day after a meh bullpen has to pitch nearly 7 innings. You allow that teams ace to get through 3 innings on 10 pitches an inning.

Maybe you should call for the manager to be fired.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1640 on: October 12, 2022, 08:40:02 PM »
These are the good managers.  The ones who made playoffs.  It isn't like there is a glut of unknowns who can swoop in and do better.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1641 on: October 12, 2022, 09:11:42 PM »
Maybe you should call for the manager to be fired.

Maybe you should jump in front of a speeding car.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1642 on: October 12, 2022, 10:25:06 PM »
Dodgers squandering major chances through 7.

I know Taylor is on the roster but not sure what his full health is like. Thompson has at least one more at bat(projected at least) tonight to do a heel turn.

But I think LA should get Taylor back in the lineup. Down year, but guy is really experienced in the playoffs and has been a really solid performer this time of year. Thompson in small sample size isnt look great so far.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1643 on: October 12, 2022, 10:37:44 PM »

I know Taylor is on the roster but not sure what his full health is like. Thompson has at least one more at bat(projected at least) tonight to do a heel turn.

But I think LA should get Taylor back in the lineup. Down year, but guy is really experienced in the playoffs and has been a really solid performer this time of year. Thompson in small sample size isnt look great so far.

Yikes.  That looked like a serious miscue..  Whoops.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1644 on: October 12, 2022, 10:47:16 PM »
Hopefully that🦆gets off the field safely. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1645 on: October 12, 2022, 10:47:30 PM »

Trayce vs Hader right here with a chance to tie the game.

Could make that small sample size completely irrelevent.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1646 on: October 12, 2022, 10:58:12 PM »
Chris Taylor must not be healthy. Bring in Barnes there is not something they would normally do even if verducci devil advocated it with the high fast ball of Hader.

A healthy CT hits there 100%. Kinda curious why hes on the roster though.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #1647 on: October 13, 2022, 10:15:51 AM »
Chris Taylor must not be healthy. Bring in Barnes there is not something they would normally do even if verducci devil advocated it with the high fast ball of Hader.

A healthy CT hits there 100%. Kinda curious why hes on the roster though.

Yeah, I agree.  I read that his neck stiffness acts up when he swings.  I wonder if its somehow not as bad playing the field, so maybe he's just there as a defensive replacement?

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1648 on: October 13, 2022, 11:15:43 AM »
Unclutch Carlos Correa headed to FA.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #1649 on: October 13, 2022, 12:06:02 PM »

Smart hitters swing at 1st pitch strikes. Smart managers tell their hitters to do so. Especially for a guy who throws a lot of fastballs. Taking a first pitch strike opens the door to an 0-2 count where a hitter is basically dead in the water. He'll see nothing but sinkers and sliders off the plate then - very little chance to get a hit.

Major league hitters, as a whole, average about a .360 wOBA after 1-0 counts and a .270 wOBA after 0-1 counts. That is why you swing at first pitch strikes - always.

Pitch count totals are basically irrelevant for top starting pitchers.

feedback