collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022 MLB Thread  (Read 123408 times)

Lennys Tap

• All American
Re: 2022 MLB Thread
« Reply #1200 on: September 04, 2022, 07:46:37 PM »

Lol dude. That is a massive stretch.

Rocco is a borderline moron. He isn’t strategizing that deeply

I don’t know, PG. Being a dick and being a moron aren’t necessarily mutually exclusive.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1201 on: September 04, 2022, 07:54:53 PM »
I’ve heard a good amount of Brewers fans wanting Mark gone. I don’t understand it at all. I saw the Brewers go to the Playoffs 0 times in the first 20 years of my life. They’ve gone to the Playoffs 6 times in the last 14 years (not including this year). Yes the expanded Playoffs have helped, but 3 of those were Divisional titles and they’ve been infinitely more competitive overall since he bought the team than they were before he did. In a sport where they’re always going to be one of the smallest markets with no salary cap.

But sure, a couple dentists making 6 figures a year could probably take the team off the billionaire’s hands and pay that payroll every year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1202 on: September 04, 2022, 07:59:41 PM »
I have absolutely no qualms at all about the current leadership of the organization. Mark...Stearns...Counsell...  They have been remarkably consistent without fully tanking.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1203 on: September 04, 2022, 08:02:15 PM »
Mark bought the team for roughly $220 mil and could sell it tomorrow for $1.5 bil. He's a business man first and a fan second. Shockin' he duzant take da bread and get outta Dodge, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1204 on: September 04, 2022, 08:12:32 PM »
Mark bought the team for roughly $220 mil and could sell it tomorrow for $1.5 bil. He's a business man first and a fan second. Shockin' he duzant take da bread and get outta Dodge, hey?

Just like every sports team owner. It’s pretty easy to understand why he doesn’t take the money and run. What major professional sports organization’s value had gone down recently? The value will continue to rise far faster than almost anything else he could invest in.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1205 on: September 04, 2022, 08:17:07 PM »
I dunno. Eye'd bea willin' ta cell my Packers' stock fore face value, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1206 on: September 04, 2022, 10:00:15 PM »
Pujols to 695, Judge to 53.

Who gets to their magic number (700/62) first, or will neither do it? 28 games to go.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1207 on: September 04, 2022, 10:57:11 PM »
I still hear some talking about Ohtani as AL MVP.

Today, with the pressure of a division title on the line, Judge hit his 53rd HR and also made a great aggressive baserunning play to steal a run, and the Yankees won 2-1 against the team chasing them.

He has 3 walkoff HRs this season, the most since Mantle something like 70 years ago.

I know Ohtani is great, that he is doing things nobody has done. I love watching him. Yet none of it has come with a hint of pressure on him. I get that it’s not his fault that the Angels suck, but Judge is having an ok year too.

I’m frankly surprised that a single non-Angels fan in America would pick Ohtani over a guy with 53 HR and a bunch of important hits for a first-place team.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1208 on: September 05, 2022, 08:28:59 AM »
I still hear some talking about Ohtani as AL MVP.

Today, with the pressure of a division title on the line, Judge hit his 53rd HR and also made a great aggressive baserunning play to steal a run, and the Yankees won 2-1 against the team chasing them.

He has 3 walkoff HRs this season, the most since Mantle something like 70 years ago.

I know Ohtani is great, that he is doing things nobody has done. I love watching him. Yet none of it has come with a hint of pressure on him. I get that it’s not his fault that the Angels suck, but Judge is having an ok year too.

I’m frankly surprised that a single non-Angels fan in America would pick Ohtani over a guy with 53 HR and a bunch of important hits for a first-place team.

Judge has ‘led’ the Yankees to a worse record over the last 50 games than the Angels.

Is he still MVP if the Yanks blow a 15 1/2 game lead?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1209 on: September 05, 2022, 08:58:20 AM »
Judge has ‘led’ the Yankees to a worse record over the last 50 games than the Angels.

Is he still MVP if the Yanks blow a 15 1/2 game lead?

If not for Judge, the Yankees wouldn't have had a large lead to blow.

Additionally, since the season's midpoint, Judge has a 1.282 OPS, 20 HR, 45 RBI. Over the 4 weeks, it's 1.148, 10, 18. Over the last 2 weeks, it's 1.393, 7, 13. All are better than Ohtani's batting stats -- in some cases, significantly better -- during the same spans. Judge has kept going even when Stanton and other Yankees have been injured and opponents have tried to pitch around him, and he's done it within a pennant race.

He's no more responsible for the Yankees sucking since the ASB than Ohtani has been responsible for the Angels sucking ever since he got to L.A., so if the "it doesn't matter that the team sucks" standard is being invoked, why can't it be invoked for Judge as well?

I'm not gonna rip on Ohtani at all. He's marvelous and he's exciting and -- to use a far-overused term that actually does apply to him -- he really is a unicorn. But Judge is have a far better offensive year for a far better team, and IMHO that superiority helps overshadow what Ohtani has done in his 23 starts as a pitcher for a horrible team that hasn't "needed" to win since he's gotten there.

I'm actually surprised you'd disagree.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1210 on: September 05, 2022, 09:10:55 AM »

Additionally, since the season's midpoint, Judge has a 1.282 OPS, 20 HR, 45 RBI. Over the 4 weeks, it's 1.148, 10, 18. Over the last 2 weeks, it's 1.393, 7, 13. All are better than Ohtani's batting stats -- in some cases, significantly better -- during the same spans. Judge has kept going even when Stanton and other Yankees have been injured and opponents have tried to pitch around him, and he's done it within a pennant race.

He's no more responsible for the Yankees sucking since the ASB than Ohtani has been responsible for the Angels sucking ever since he got to L.A., so if the "it doesn't matter that the team sucks" standard is being invoked, why can't it be invoked for Judge as well?

I'm not gonna rip on Ohtani at all. He's marvelous and he's exciting and -- to use a far-overused term that actually does apply to him -- he really is a unicorn. But Judge is have a far better offensive year for a far better team, and IMHO that superiority helps overshadow what Ohtani has done in his 23 starts as a pitcher for a horrible team that hasn't "needed" to win since he's gotten there.

I don’t. Just tweaking you a bit.

Ohtani is the best player in baseball. Judge is MVP.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 11:44:32 AM by Jockey »

• All American
« Reply #1211 on: September 05, 2022, 09:26:04 AM »
Those distinctions are meaningless. I don’t know who is MVP, because that would require me to pay more attention to baseball than I want to, but 82 is doing the old sportswriter thing of giving it to the guy because he has better teammates.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1212 on: September 05, 2022, 10:50:53 AM »
Those distinctions are meaningless. I don’t know who is MVP, because that would require me to pay more attention to baseball than I want to, but 82 is doing the old sportswriter thing of giving it to the guy because he has better teammates.

You don't pay attention to baseball, and you seemingly didn't read what I said in my posts today: Statistically, Judge is having a superior offensive season and is having a direct impact on his team's performance. But it's fine if you want to dial up a tired trope and run with it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1213 on: September 05, 2022, 12:35:29 PM »
White Sox back from the dead.

Meanwhile Minnesota Twin inches from being dead (or at least having one hell of a headache).
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

• All American
« Reply #1214 on: September 05, 2022, 12:42:06 PM »
You don't pay attention to baseball, and you seemingly didn't read what I said in my posts today: Statistically, Judge is having a superior offensive season and is having a direct impact on his team's performance. But it's fine if you want to dial up a tired trope and run with it.

Irony.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1215 on: September 05, 2022, 02:20:52 PM »

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1216 on: September 05, 2022, 09:54:53 PM »
The Brewers can’t string wins together. They blow leads seemingly every other night. Yet, they enter tomorrow only 2 GB, an easier schedule than Philadelphia and San Diego, and after Wednesday, 20 of their final 26 games at home.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1217 on: September 05, 2022, 10:41:01 PM »

100%, Mike. Judge is the MVP.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1218 on: September 07, 2022, 06:32:01 AM »
From NPR:

More than half of minor league ballplayers turned in union authorization cards, indicating they want to join the Major League Baseball Players Association, with better conditions and higher wages the top priorities.

Pay issues have plagued the minors for years, culminating in a $185 million payout in 2014 to players who argued pay dipped below minimum wage. While the average MLB salary is $4 million, most minor leaguers take home just $400-$700 a week — and only during the season.

“I definitely feel scared,” said Joe Hudson, a catcher at Triple-A Durham, “but this feels like the right thing to do.”

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1219 on: September 07, 2022, 09:06:18 AM »
From NPR:

More than half of minor league ballplayers turned in union authorization cards, indicating they want to join the Major League Baseball Players Association, with better conditions and higher wages the top priorities.

Pay issues have plagued the minors for years, culminating in a $185 million payout in 2014 to players who argued pay dipped below minimum wage. While the average MLB salary is $4 million, most minor leaguers take home just $400-$700 a week — and only during the season.

“I definitely feel scared,” said Joe Hudson, a catcher at Triple-A Durham, “but this feels like the right thing to do.”

I think the pay is unfair. But this will lead to a consolidation of leagues. I never got the need for all the levels of development leagues anyway. Perhaps the college game, including JUCOs, gets a boost, especially with NILs? This will be sad for small town minor league baseball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1220 on: September 07, 2022, 09:19:21 AM »
I think the pay is unfair. But this will lead to a consolidation of leagues. I never got the need for all the levels of development leagues anyway. Perhaps the college game, including JUCOs, gets a boost, especially with NILs? This will be sad for small town minor league baseball.

Didn't they already do a huge consolidation just a couple years ago? Can they do much more and still keep enough farm teams to develop players adequately?

• All American
« Reply #1221 on: September 07, 2022, 09:39:29 AM »
Right now, each organization has about 250 players in their system at any given time. MLB can most definitely afford to pay them more, but the organization knows that many of these guys aren't going to be worth the extra cost. I have no doubt that they hold on to many simply waiting to see if they come around - and they don't have to pay much to do that.

It seems to me that a better model would be to have about 170 guys in your system, but pay them better. Give them year round access to training and nutrition, but also require off season training sessions, etc.  That probably means three levels of year round ball plus a rookie league team.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #1222 on: September 07, 2022, 09:43:52 AM »
Last night felt like a dagger of sorts for the 2022 Brewers. SD comes back from down 5 while the Brewers blow a 5 run lead.

Lots of games, their schedule is crazy easy the rest of the year, but every decision seems to backfire. One of those years.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #1223 on: September 07, 2022, 09:59:51 AM »
Didn't they already do a huge consolidation just a couple years ago? Can they do much more and still keep enough farm teams to develop players adequately?

Wiki actually has a solid recap of the structure and reorg. Congress resisted (baseball has their favored status). The structure is pretty dense imo for the return.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minor_League_Baseball

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1224 on: September 07, 2022, 10:11:45 AM »
Brew Crew =

hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"